shape
carat
color
clarity

ISO setting to make a 1 - 1.25 stone pop!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
After being a lurker here for about a month, I have finally mustered up enough courage to post.

My bf will probably be in a position to propose in a year, but I wanted to start looking at settings to give him an idea of what I like. For some reason, I want him to make the final selection, but I would like to give him some ideas.

My situation now is to figure out which settings would look best and fit with my personality. I have been to a few jewelry stores and I get so overwhelmed by the selection, so I thought I would come on here and ask for some help to narrow down my preferences.

I have used this site''s resources and learned about how to pick a good diamond, going beyond the 4 C''s. When the time is closer, I will suggest that my bf come onto this site and check with the "experts" regarding a few diamonds he is considering at the time.

In terms of the stone, I am highly encouraging my bf to get an ideal cut round stone H-I in color that is Si1 in clarity to get the best value. I think I would like platinum or white gold for the setting. I have been reading about the pro''s and con''s regarding platinum and white gold and am still considering both. Budget for the stone + ring $6500, so I know that makes things tough.

My ring size is a 5.75-6 and I am 5''8" tall. No one has ever said I have "piano" hands, but my friends tell me I have very nice "girly" hands that they wish they had (my friends have nice hands & I am not sure what makes my hands better than theirs). I would say that my hands are not overly delicate, but definately not "sporty."

In terms of my personality I am kinda girly with tomboy tendancies (likes outdoor activities and watching football). During the week, I dress up for work, which can mean suits or dress pants with sweaters/blouses. On weekends, definitely nice jeans with a sweater works for me. One of my favorite stores is Banana Republic - maybe that will help define my style a bit more?

What I can tell now is that I am not interested in 3-stone rings, nor heavily embelished rings (heavy pave, excessive side stones, etc). But would not mind more subtle flair (side diamonds, simple pave, etc). I do not want settings that are too high, but not interested in a low setting either. I know this is all very subjective...

If any of you ring gurus can suggest examples of settings to consider, I would appreciate it. This is suposed to be a fun process, but I find myself overwhelmed with choices!! I really just want my diamond to pop!! HELP!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d chose the Ritani endless love solitaire...

here''s a picture of mara''s friends ring
30.gif
30.gif

vivi%20bauble%20a.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This Tacori ring has been my favorite lately. It also comes in a round version. It may be too high, though.......

Tacori20Top.jpg

tacori.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forget the original poster''s name, but I have always love, love, LOVED this ring...a 1 ct stone with 1 pt melee in the shank. Talk about a stone popping!

luvteeny.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the round version of that Tacori 8 prong halo...

tac8prong.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... what I''m missing is the diamond size you are looking for. If its one carat... I''m going to say 5K for the diamond. Which means 1500 for the setting. The tacori and Ritani settings both, I believe, cost more than that... even in 18K... plus the prices are rising, not falling. I think that a 3/4 pave band with a nice basket would be pretty and do able in paladium or WG... and possibily even Platinum, depending on the setting.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think $1500 for that 1 pointer setting in wg would be totally do-able.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 4:51:51 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I think $1500 for that 1 pointer setting in wg would be totally do-able.

Oh yeah... I agree. I just don''t think you will be able to get a ritani or tacori for that price.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 4:53:08 PM
Author: Gypsy

Oh yeah... I agree. I just don''t think you will be able to get a ritani or tacori for that price.
Definitely...that ain''t gonna happen. I happened to gloss over the ''budget'' like money is no object. If only!!!
9.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Wow, so many nice suggestions already!!

I am planning on a stone to be from 1 - 1.25 in size, though stone quality is most important to me.

The melee ring is very pretty, but I am afraid it is so thin that it would break, from your experience how durable are thinner bands like that?

I like Mara's friend's ring too, very nice.

My boyfriend reall does not like halo rings and refuses to even consider those as an option. While I think they are beautiful, I think they would break my budget. Though I do like they fact the halo enhances the size of the diamond.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 5:20:59 PM
Author: omieluv

The melee ring is very pretty, but I am afraid it is so thin that it would break, from your experience how durable are thinner bands like that?

pave rings can differ depending on the maker. there is some truth to getting what you pay for when it comes to jewelry. Anyway, Ritani has an excellent reputation for quality pieces, you can do a search here. I wouldn''t hesitate to wear or purchase a Ritani ring.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 5:23:49 PM
Author: mrssalvo

pave rings can differ depending on the maker. there is some truth to getting what you pay for when it comes to jewelry. Anyway, Ritani has an excellent reputation for quality pieces, you can do a search here. I wouldn''t hesitate to wear or purchase a Ritani ring.
ditto, and I''ve always loved the ritani soliataire. It''s great that a wedding band fits flush as well.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 5:23:49 PM
Author: mrssalvo

pave rings can differ depending on the maker. there is some truth to getting what you pay for when it comes to jewelry. Anyway, Ritani has an excellent reputation for quality pieces, you can do a search here. I wouldn't hesitate to wear or purchase a Ritani ring.
I agree, quality is everything and if it means that I go for more of a plain band, I will. For me, the setting should be additive to the diamond, not a distraction, so something elegant that makes the ring pop works for me.

Since Ritani seems to be popular, I will do a search on them. In the meanwhile, if anyone has an example of what they are thinking, please post a picture or link.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve saved a picture of Mara''s friend''s ring (Ritani Endless Love solitaire) and I love it.. If I were doing a solitaire, that''s the one I could do...budget allowing, of course.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Is this what you were thinking of? I went to the Ritani site and got confused. Found this ring though, it is nice. Not sure what the setting is sold for.
1RZ3266A_default.jpg

Engagement - 1RZ3266A

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
As far as Ritani is concerned, this is probably the one I can afford, it is very pretty, but it seems so costly, I guess you get what you pay for:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/prodshots/28QQ13.jpg
28QQ13.jpg

ebonykawai - I like your ideas, very simple & classic, will keep that in mind.

Still open to other ideas.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I am seriously considering more of a solitaire style, with small accents. My boyfriend liked this style, but I know that it is way too much b/c it is Tacori. I saw a similar style by Scott Kay, but again, price is an issue. Does anyone know of a brand that creates similar styles for a bit less?

http://store.pearlmansjewelers.com/images/products/99U13.jpg

I know that you get what you pay for, but just wondering if there are any other brands out there that are of good quality, that may not be as expensive.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
You can always think about doing a custom setting. That way you can get exactly what you want.
2.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 10:22:09 AM
Author: belle
this isn't as ornate as the styles (tacori, ritani) that you are looking at but it is not as pricey either!

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=6258&page=1&show_all_pages=1&col=3&row=6&pos=18&set_shape=

Yes, I liked this one when I saw it a couple of weeks back. It seems a bit wide to me, but that could just be the picture.

My bf is open to having a ring made for me as well. Does anyone know of a good ring designer in the Chicago area?

I saw this one at Pearlman's:
http://store.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry/view/3010/1016/
51J13.jpg

What do you think? I kinda like it, but it seems wide to me. Maybe I should be looking for a half-eternity setting that is 2-3mm??

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I think any type of sidestones really make the ring extra sparkly without taking away from the centerstone itself. I really liked whiteflash''s settings because they use ideal cut diamonds in their melee. I had this ring custom designed by them for less than $1,500 and was working on a budget similar to yours.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 10:43:42 AM
Author: the other Jake
I think any type of sidestones really make the ring extra sparkly without taking away from the centerstone itself. I really liked whiteflash''s settings because they use ideal cut diamonds in their melee. I had this ring custom designed by them for less than $1,500 and was working on a budget similar to yours.

Beautiful ring! You and the Rockdoc did a fantastic job!! The only thing is that my bf is terrified of making large purchase like this online. Perhaps after he starts reviewing posts on this site, he will feel better about perhaps working with WF. I have seen other custom rings from there and they have turned out very nice. I would not mind my bf working with them to design a ring b/c I think they have an excellent selection of diamonds & sounds like they have great service too.

Thanks for sharing, you have a very lucky lady!!

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I was initially not going to purchase the ring online as I was very leary. After I did my research, I became more comfortable with the idea and I saw that the prices and selection are just so much better that its really hard not to. I used an appraiser to make sure that I got the perfect stone I am so happy I did it this way. I probably ended up saving like 2-4k. I''m proposing Sunday so hopefully she''ll like it.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 11:03:03 AM
Author: the other Jake
I was initially not going to purchase the ring online as I was very leary. After I did my research, I became more comfortable with the idea and I saw that the prices and selection are just so much better that its really hard not to. I used an appraiser to make sure that I got the perfect stone I am so happy I did it this way. I probably ended up saving like 2-4k. I''m proposing Sunday so hopefully she''ll like it.

He is still saving his money, so I do not think he is very motivated to buy a ring now. He just told me to start getting ideas, so when he is ready we can discuss. I have told him about this site and WF, so I think he is at least open to the idea of ordering online.

Good luck with your proposal and I am sure she will LOVE the ring, I know I do and so do several others on this site.

Your budget does sound similar to mine, so I appreciate your response!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Though my bf likes split shank designs that I posted earlier, my problem is that they seem very wide. I tried one on at Jared (will never go back there, btw) and it was too wide for my liking and the stone was set rather low.

This one from Tacori is only 3mm. I cannot seem to find other views, can anyone help? Wondering if WF could make a ring inspired by this design...

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Search/JewelrySearchDetails.asp?sSKU=100757
100757.JPG

I like this ring, but still deciding if I would want a wedding band to sit flush with my e-ring...

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
I just purchased a Ritani''s Endless Love pave setting in platinum from Bailey Banks and Biddle in Santa Clara, CA, for my 1.81 ct princess cut diamond, and I can tell you that it cost me close to $4000 after taxes. I have also looked at Tacori settings while there and they were priced between $3000-$4000. With that said, I would recommend going with the tiffany type setting in platinum to minimize the cost of the band. This will allow you to find a decent stone, which obviously is important to you. You can always change the setting at a later date when you get tired of the solitaire setting, which is exactly what I did.

As for your stone, SI2 seems a little too included in my opinion, but the color G-H should be okay since the stone you''ll be looking at is small enough. (I had to go with D and VVS2 for my stone since the slightest tint of color seemed noticeable in a bigger sized stone.) Anyway, I wish you the best of luck! Keep looking and have fun doing it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results