shape
carat
color
clarity

Is yellow gold popularity coming back ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Woooo, has anyone else noticed all of the yellow gold jewelry in the magazines??? Glamour and some of the bride mag. have full page gold adds. I even noticed several people wearing yellow gold at the Golden Globes :) Just curious??? WOOOOOOO

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally think it is--and I'm glad because yellow gold looks better against my skin than white metals. As a matter of fact I was in Judith Rikpa on Saturday and I made a comment to the sales lady that yellow gold seems to be making a come back (based on what I saw in the display cases) and she said "It IS back!".

Also, I've noticed that a lot of handbags are starting to have yellow hardware on them again too.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I totally agree :) I see it everywhere or two-tone :)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I should have said that too--I''m also seeing a lot of two-tone pieces.

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
I think it is too. I am so excited. I have actually been wearing all of my old gold jewelry lately and have had many compliments. A lot of people have commented on the vintage look (while I'm thinking vintage??? I wore these when I was 10 or 12 and I'm only 22 now!) but I love the compliments.

*ETA* The bf gave me a rose gold eternity band for Christmas and I have been loving it!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
I agree :) I too have been wearing some of my older yellow gold jewelry and have gotten many compliments. Hubby got me a beautiful yellow gold link braclet for christmas and people are always commenting on it. When I read all of the fashion mags. I see tons of gold ropes, rings, earrings,etc. I live in Ohio so the trend just went white about 5 years ago...it will probably take about 10 years to come back :) Wooooo

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
Lol, I live in near Dallas so trends usually pick up pretty quick. When I go "home" that is another story. It takes forever!!!

"home" is about 2.5 hours southwest of Dallas in the center of Texas

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woooo my sister lives in Houston and says the same thing. She sees trends really quickly. Here is little Ohio people can''t afford to really change their jewelery like the wind.... However, there is groups that do and I tend to try and stay with trend too :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The last couple of vintage pieces I purchased are in yellow gold, as were the last three out of four new pieces from Flica. I am loving y/g all over again!

cheers--Sharon

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and I''m so happy it is back!! Today I am wearing yellow gold. I dug out some old YG twisted hoop earrings and I am loving it. Yay.
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was talking to a jewelry store owner about this the other day. I have been seeing yellow gold in all the magazines as well, especially on large cocktail rings with colored stones. However, in real life I hardly ever see yellow gold on younger women. The jewelry store owner commented saying, "everyone says it''s coming back, but I can''t seem to sell it. Everyone still wants platinum or WG here."

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I hope this isn''t a side-track/hi-jack ... but what about with diamonds? People seem to say that the yg will make the diamond seem yellow. Do you think that is true? I perfer yg on my skin and do hope it is coming back into fashion so I don''t have to feel behind the times!

a

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 10:56:34 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
I totally think it is--and I''m glad because yellow gold looks better against my skin than white metals. As a matter of fact I was in Judith Rikpa on Saturday and I made a comment to the sales lady that yellow gold seems to be making a come back (based on what I saw in the display cases) and she said ''It IS back!''.

Also, I''ve noticed that a lot of handbags are starting to have yellow hardware on them again too.
last time I was in BBB they had a whole section of yellow gold and I asked te saleslady if yellow gold was making a comeback and she replied, "they''re trying!"

I personally just HATE to be at the whim of fashion trendsetters. If one looks better then who the hell cares what the fashion trend is?! Every year we get a little closer to having the trend be "buy that which flatters" and not just what flatters most within the confines of a trend. I''ve been wearing yellow gold for the past 20 years and just to buck the trend I''d probably go white to be a pisser LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 3:53:29 PM
Author: angeline
I hope this isn''t a side-track/hi-jack ... but what about with diamonds? People seem to say that the yg will make the diamond seem yellow. Do you think that is true? I perfer yg on my skin and do hope it is coming back into fashion so I don''t have to feel behind the times!

a
no, I have a channel set yellow gold band and IMO the diamonds pop on yellow gold.... on white gold it all just kinda blends in together.... on yellow gold the stones really pop out and look blazing white. I don''t know that I''d make the same assumption for cushion, emerald, asscher but for rounds, definitely.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 11:08:09 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Oh I should have said that too--I''m also seeing a lot of two-tone pieces.
good because I''m planning to get my stone set in white but my wedding ring is yellow and if I wear them together they''re just not gonna match and I''m okay with that lol

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 4:09:46 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 1/22/2007 3:53:29 PM

a
no, I have a channel set yellow gold band and IMO the diamonds pop on yellow gold.... on white gold it all just kinda blends in together.... on yellow gold the stones really pop out and look blazing white. I don''t know that I''d make the same assumption for cushion, emerald, asscher but for rounds, definitely.

I agree! I always thought so but I''ve read so much about higher color stones should be set in white metal, lower color should be set in gold, I felt as though I would be wasting the ''color'' so to speak if I set it in yg. That said I have gone with plat for my new rock, but I''m hoping to do a small tension ring soon, maybe in brushed yg.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I too see most young people with white gold but remember when I got married in 1983 all of my female relatives were married with white gold in the 70''s :) I too am getting a whole new love for yellow gold :) It is fun to see the new looks. Woooooooooooooooooooooo I think mixing the two looks really fun :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got married at the end of ''76 and all my friends were getting yellow gold. I''d say it was at least 90% at that time.

But to answer the original question, I am positive yellow gold is coming back in, due to the fact that I just changed all my major jewelry over to white metal! I am obviously not a trend setter! It took me a long time to develop the preference for white but I plan to stick with it!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 4:21:47 PM

Date: 1/22/2007 4:09:46 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I agree! I always thought so but I''ve read so much about higher color stones should be set in white metal, lower color should be set in gold, I felt as though I would be wasting the ''color'' so to speak if I set it in yg. That said I have gone with plat for my new rock, but I''m hoping to do a small tension ring soon, maybe in brushed yg.
White gold is kinda nice for melee because if it is bead set it can look like the diamonds are bigger or there''s more of them etc. The shiny metal beads reflect white light and sometimes colors from the diamonds and you just get this real sparkley effect. The melee on gold pops. It''s great fun for swirly designs where you want to focus on the architecture of the metal and make it pop. Yellow gold reall highlights the diamonds. White makes it all kinda look like one big mess of diamonds - which i nice too lol

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
angeline, I wear all yellow gold and the diamond jewellery I own, like Cehrabehra said really POPS! This is a pic of some of my favourite rings, you can see the 5 stone antique one is all yellow but the diamonds still look seriously white!! The solitaire and the 3 stone are yellow gold but with white gold settings for the diamonds, and the contrast between the two metals is gorgeous.

DiaRingsAndiPandi.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I wanted to add that most of my yg jewelry had white gold for the prongs, to answer the question someone had about the yellow effect on the diamonds.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK that isn''t the greatest picture to illustrate my point as it''s dark, but you get the idea
41.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to make sure that everyone discussing the return of yellow gold here had a chance to read what had been said about it not long ago when we discussed its coming back ;-).

If yellow gold and trends about what color metal are in fashion interest you, try this thread:

Thread on Yellow Gold Coming Back Into Fashion

I also want to point anyone who loves high karat yellow gold to an endless thread in Jewelry Pieces in which high karat yellow gold (mostly handmade designer pieces) is endlessly discussed by people who can never afford to buy everything they see and admire!

Deb
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2007 7:05:38 PM
Author: AGBF
I also want to point anyone who loves high karat yellow gold to an endless thread in Jewelry Pieces in which high karat yellow gold (mostly handmade designer pieces) is endlessly discussed by people who can never afford to buy everything they see and admire!

That would be this one! I chose this page of the thread because it seemed to have more photos of pieces of yellow gold jewelry than some of the other pages. The people who contribute regularly to this thread are really yellow gold lovers, although some of them might argue that yellow gold is not even their first love!

Deb
34.gif

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think it''s coming back, and I think it''s interesting that a slight increase in its appearance (from zero) is being hyped as a comeback. At most, it''s being seen as less hideous. Ask a teenager, the next wave of consumers, what they think of yellow gold. Young women grow up on silver jewelry these days, and that makes it hard to sell them on a yellow engagement ring. I think yellow might increase in popularity, but it will never return to its former status. White metals are here to stay, and I think they will consistently be more popular.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 2:17:22 PM
Author: Catmom
Yes, and I'm so happy it is back!! Today I am wearing yellow gold. I dug out some old YG twisted hoop earrings and I am loving it. Yay.
36.gif
yeah, me too. i had to polsh mine though. it had been sitting around and looking yucky and tarnished. I used a sunshine cloth and cleaned and polished it all back up again.

have you ever really looked at how pretty yellow gold is?

added: did you notice how much yellow gold was in "The Devil Wears Prada?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I just looked through my jewelry box and up until December I had exactly ONE item of yellow gold jewelry (a pair of tiny prong sent diamond hoops that I chose for Chrismas about 5 or 6 years ago). I had been looking for a yellow gold pendant for (literally) years and finally found one that I liked at the gem show here outside of Chicago last month. If yellow gold *is* making a come back I had better get shopping to balance out my jewelry wardrobe because right now it's very skewed toward the white metals.

ETA: Oops, I take that back! I do have a tri-color rolling ring that I bought in Italy about 10 years ago and I do have three plain gold bands that I stack together a lot on weekends when I don't want to wear anything blingy.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 8:57:45 PM
Author: colorkitty
I don't think it's coming back, and I think it's interesting that a slight increase in its appearance (from zero) is being hyped as a comeback. At most, it's being seen as less hideous. Ask a teenager, the next wave of consumers, what they think of yellow gold. Young women grow up on silver jewelry these days, and that makes it hard to sell them on a yellow engagement ring. I think yellow might increase in popularity, but it will never return to its former status. White metals are here to stay, and I think they will consistently be more popular.
i dunno. I teach high school and i see a lot of yelllow gold on these kids. and silver junk jewelry too. but if they are wearing a relatively valuable piece, it's yellow gold.

edited to add: i have three engaged (or promised) girls and they are wearing yellow gold promise rings.

houston shops are having a lot of yellow gold these days.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
hehehehe I am so enjoying this tread. I grew up in the 70''s when all my mom had was silver and turquioise jewelry. However, by the 80''s she had went all yellow and then in 2000 she pulled out all of her old spoon rings and silver jewlrey....hehehehe. I absoulutely loved my yellow gold jewerly but got the white gold/platinum bug several years ago. Now I am noticing all of the yellow gold on the rise. I agree that the Devil Wears Prada shows it off and so did the award shows. I am excited it may be on the rise again. It does show diamonds off much better than platinum. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my platinum stuff but have to say my diamonds showed up much better in yellow :) I love the photos !! WOOOO

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo, also want to mention that I was in Sam''s the other day in the high status end of town :) and noticed HUGE diamonds but saw one lady with a flat yellow gold wide band (5 or 6mm ish) with a huge diamond planted on top. THAT DIAMOND stuck out like BAMMMMMMM!!! Was a beautiful look :) woooo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results