shape
carat
color
clarity

Is yellow gold popularity coming back ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2007 9:08:57 PM
Author: ladykemma

Date: 1/22/2007 2:17:22 PM
Author: Catmom
Yes, and I''m so happy it is back!! Today I am wearing yellow gold. I dug out some old YG twisted hoop earrings and I am loving it. Yay.
36.gif
yeah, me too. i had to polsh mine though. it had been sitting around and looking yucky and tarnished. I used a sunshine cloth and cleaned and polished it all back up again.

have you ever really looked at how pretty yellow gold is?

added: did you notice how much yellow gold was in ''The Devil Wears Prada?
LOL, I had to polish mine too before I could wear them but boy did they look nice after the cleaning! I''m sorry, I just don''t see yellow gold as "hideous", but then that''s just my opinion. To me yellow gold has a richness that can''t be duplicated. To each his own.
5.gif

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
Maybe I''m just desperate not to believe it''s coming back because I hate it and own only white pieces. I hate the look of it so much it almost depresses me to think it might come back. What''s even the point of buying jewelry if 10 years later the industry is going to decide we need a new trend? I don''t want to be walking around wearing pieces that are considered tacky (the mere idea that white metals might one day be considered tacky makes me
39.gif
).

But where I live, platinum is still king.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woooo Colorkitty, I think you should wear what you want and not worry about the trend :) I only raised the question because I have seen the trend change 3 times :) I really love both and feel comfortable wearing both. I think yellow gold is beautiful and feel sad you dislike it so much..... I love jewelry in general and was married with yellow but now wear platinum. I am thrilled to see it return. I also often notice that people who have been married 23 years like me often have on yellow sets. It kinda says hey we have been together a long time :) Kinda sentimental...hehehehehe The yellow gold jewerly in the magazines is not tacky but actually beautiful.... wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Why dont people just wear what they like? Set your own trend
2.gif

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I inherited some beautiful I think 24k gold bangles from Lebanon from my grandmother, and they reignited my love for yellow gold. I get so many compliments on them! I definately think that yg is coming back.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always worn YG and really if anyone thinks it is tacky, it is only their opinion and it doesn''t worry me.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woooo, I have 3 beautiful yellow gold bangles :) I love them!! I paid huge $ for my platinum set and often have people say wow I didn''t know there were diamonds in there I thought it was all metal ...errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I have baguettes so they blend...

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s like any other trend... first there was skinny jeans, then wide leg, then skinny again, now wide leg again!!!

I think the industry changes what''s "in" so you think you have to go out and buy more!
31.gif

I still have my yellow gold from high school but I don''t plan on wearing in no matter what''s "in". When I compare it to my platinum, I can''t go back to my yellow (yet)!!!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
well last year i tried white gold and it looked hideous on me.

i think some people may be associating / confusing the ugly yellow gold fashions of the eighties (swirly clusters) and ghetto bling (think grilles) with how beautiful yellow gold can truly be.

i actually like the white gold once all the rhodium is worn off. i like the yellowy look.

Ok, I am proctoring a standardized test today and this is my break. I did a mental note of the high school girls In the room. 15 girls in the room, 6 wearing jewelry: three wearing white metal and 3 wearing yellow gold.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
i think some people may be associating / confusing the ugly yellow gold fashions of the eighties (swirly clusters) and ghetto bling (think grilles) with how beautiful yellow gold can truly be.

Shhhhh... if we keep mentioning how ugly 80s fashions were it''s guaranteed to come back! What''s a grille?

When I was a kid, I hated jewelry because I hated yellow gold (I''m an 80s baby). I used to scream and cry and throw tantrums when my mom would make me wear it. They are beautiful, simple and classic pieces, but I can''t stand the yellow gold. I''d love to give them away to a good home that will treat them right, but no one I know wants the yellow gold. If white metals hadn''t come back, I wouldn''t have even considered an e-ring or wedding ring. I just started to like jewelry in the past year or so. This is so unfair!

I just don''t want to walk around with dated jewelry, if that''s what platinum will become in a few years. I don''t want to be one of those people who can''t seem to get with the times. I''m glad that other people will be able to appreciate their old pieces in a new light, however.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I have white and yellow gold and wear both depending on what outfit I have on. I like white metals with cool colors and yellow with warm. My engagement ring is platinum and my wedding band (not worn together) is 18k yelow gold with small diamonds. I think the diamonds "pop" against the yellow gold, moreso than my platinum. It''s interesting that yellow gold is supposedly "out" and coming back "in". I live in a small city in Ohio, and I see people wearing yellow gold all the time in this area. My husband and I go to the Ann Arbor art fair in Michigan every summer and there are tons of artists/jewelers there. Almost all work predominately in yellow gold, although you will see some white metals occasionally. Granted, I am speaking not about e-rings and wedding bands but other jewelry. (bracelets, RH rings, pendants etc.)

I will always wear what I like. I don''t care what is in at the moment. Both metals are beautiful in their own way.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 12:58:51 PM
Author: colorkitty

Shhhhh... if we keep mentioning how ugly 80s fashions were it''s guaranteed to come back! What''s a grille?
A grill is kind of like a mouth guard except it''s often gold or plat with diamonds and stuff on it.
20.gif

Think big time rappers or Kendra from the Girls Next Door. It''s mouth bling.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
so fun :) I agree that most people are thinking of the large cluster ring, maybe nugget stuff (hubby has some) etc. I look at the new gold stuff and it is very classy :0 Like, all of you, I switch around. I wear yellow gold earrings, necklace, bracelets, etc more in the winter and my white gold in the summer or with cool colors. today however, I have one pearls, my new yellow gold bracelet and my platinum ering.... GOOOFY :)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yellow gold has been back "in" for at least 3 years now, at least where I live (Los Angeles). Seems to me it was part of the "pirate jewelry" movement, and started happening around the same time the first Pirates of the Carribean movie came out. (The whole large lockets on long chains, or skeleton keys, etc etc thing--that antiquey stuff always looks better in yellow gold IMO)

I'm convinced that it's only for fashion jewelry though (the trend, that is), from what I've seen around here. I still have yet to see a yellow gold engagement ring on anyone under 35 in this city. I think that platinum still reigns in the fine jewelry category (at least for life-long pieces like wedding sets).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2007 1:49:56 PM
Author: musey
I'm convinced that it's only for fashion jewelry though (the trend, that is), from what I've seen around here. I still have yet to see a yellow gold engagement ring on anyone under 35 in this city. I think that platinum still reigns in the fine jewelry category (at least for life-long pieces like wedding sets).

I disagree. The high karat gold is high end. Hip hop stars like Gwen Stefani and many movie stars wear designer 24K gold jewelry. Visit Gurhan's site to see the women stars featured in magazines draped in his jewelry! I agree, though, that it is not for every day...yet. Except on some of us who never gave it up! My modern jewelry with diamonds tends to be yellow gold with platinum heads and/or prongs, but I have at least one ring in which I had a diamond set directly into hammered 24K yellow gold :).

Deb
34.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock

Shhhhh... if we keep mentioning how ugly 80s fashions were it's guaranteed to come back! What's a grille?

When I was a kid, I hated jewelry because I hated yellow gold (I'm an 80s baby). I used to scream and cry and throw tantrums when my mom would make me wear it. They are beautiful, simple and classic pieces, but I can't stand the yellow gold. I'd love to give them away to a good home that will treat them right, but no one I know wants the yellow gold. If white metals hadn't come back, I wouldn't have even considered an e-ring or wedding ring. I just started to like jewelry in the past year or so. This is so unfair!

I just don't want to walk around with dated jewelry, if that's what platinum will become in a few years. I don't want to be one of those people who can't seem to get with the times. I'm glad that other people will be able to appreciate their old pieces in a new light, however.
the dated pieces be all these princess cut stones. like the marquise of the 80s. and the pear of the fifties. the white gold princess will be (rolls eyes) "so 2000!"

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2007 7:14:18 PM
Author: ladykemma

I just don''t want to walk around with dated jewelry, if that''s what platinum will become in a few years. I don''t want to be one of those people who can''t seem to get with the times. I''m glad that other people will be able to appreciate their old pieces in a new light, however.
the dated pieces be all these princess cut stones. like the marquise of the 80s. and the pear of the fifties. the white gold princess will be (rolls eyes) ''so 2000!''
6.gif
I don''t even want to know how dated my YG princess makes me.....
39.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 8:49:27 AM
Author: woobug02
hehehehe I am so enjoying this tread. I grew up in the 70''s when all my mom had was silver and turquioise jewelry. However, by the 80''s she had went all yellow and then in 2000 she pulled out all of her old spoon rings and silver jewlrey....hehehehe. I absoulutely loved my yellow gold jewerly but got the white gold/platinum bug several years ago. Now I am noticing all of the yellow gold on the rise. I agree that the Devil Wears Prada shows it off and so did the award shows. I am excited it may be on the rise again. It does show diamonds off much better than platinum. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my platinum stuff but have to say my diamonds showed up much better in yellow :) I love the photos !! WOOOO
yeah... there''s a part of me that thinks I should do yellow gold for my stone but I really want the mirrored finish under my stone to be white because my stone, unlike these ideal rounds, really will start throwing the yellow LOL And I don''t want to have a two tone ring.... but this is also why I want white gold and not plat - because it''ll be that super light yellow that has some warmth to it yet isn''t as richly hued as yellow gold. I love that butter quality that matte white gold has.... mmmmm :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 8:57:45 PM
I don''t think it''s coming back, and I think it''s interesting that a slight increase in its appearance (from zero) is being hyped as a comeback. At most, it''s being seen as less hideous. Ask a teenager, the next wave of consumers, what they think of yellow gold. Young women grow up on silver jewelry these days, and that makes it hard to sell them on a yellow engagement ring. I think yellow might increase in popularity, but it will never return to its former status. White metals are here to stay, and I think they will consistently be more popular.
eh - I thought wide bottom jeans would never be back in style or low rise for that matter.... "hip huggers" of the 70''s were GONE in the 80''s and early 90''s in lieu of high waisted pants. Never underestimate the power of madison avenue!!

That said, I think people should just stick to their guns and wear what they LIKE. And as someone who has been wearing yellow gold for the past 36 years and has a yellow gold wedding band that will never be traded for something different - particularly the opinions of others or the whims of fashion - I can assure you that feelings of gold being ''hideous'' are not universal.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 10:34:00 AM
Maybe I''m just desperate not to believe it''s coming back because I hate it and own only white pieces. I hate the look of it so much it almost depresses me to think it might come back. What''s even the point of buying jewelry if 10 years later the industry is going to decide we need a new trend? I don''t want to be walking around wearing pieces that are considered tacky (the mere idea that white metals might one day be considered tacky makes me
39.gif
).

I find your comments offensive - you can enjoy something without tearing down something else.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2007 7:59:50 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I find your comments offensive - you can enjoy something without tearing down something else.

Cehrabehra,

I am in the same situation as you, but I saw what colorkitty said very differently. I saw her remarks as self-mocking. She was at pains to say in later posts that she disliked yellow gold so much that she had to try to convince herself that it couldn't be on its way back in.

I remember, back in high school (in the late 1960's), feeling that yellow gold jewelry was the truly "classy" look ;-).

Deb
34.gif

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not tearing anything down. All I'm saying is that while I'm happy that yellow gold is coming back for its fans, it saddens me that white golds might go out of fashion and look "tacky" or "dated," because that's all that I have and what I enjoy. Because, let's face it, no one wants to spend thousands of dollars on a piece to have it fall into past-tense category a few years later. Just like I'm sure some yellow gold fans were saddened when they went into a jewelry store and saw white, white, white, or how some marquise lovers lament its decline. I hate that skinny jeans are back in, too. Of course I want the things I love to stay fashionable and desirable. I don't think that's offensive.

And I mean, come on. This is a board where I *regularly* read about how diamonds the size of mine are too small, how other members couldn't even consider something as small as twice to four times the size of mine, and how small diamonds aren't impressive, won't make a statement, ect. I don't take offense at that because it's a matter of personal taste. I thought it would be okay if I hated the look of yellow gold (on me and in the case, on some skin tones I think it looks good). Sorry if I was off the mark.

added: I shouldn't have used the word hideous. It was meant to convey how most women my age I've encountered feel about yellow gold as to bolster my surprise that it could be coming back. I didn't mean to suggest that I think it's hideous. I don't like the look, but I wouldn't go that far. I apologize about that.

more added: I'm also jealous that you yellow lovers can get great looks that you love for less than I have to pay for platinum! Now, could all you fashion-foward ladies please get the powers that be to get rose gold to go mainstream? Rose gold looks great with yellow and white metals and I think we can all love it together.
1.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t let it worry you colorkitty, just wear what you love regardless of trends and opinions. I know that white metals reign supreme on this forum alone, and most other places for that matter. However I wouldn''t ever consider wearing white metal jewellery myself, or even buying white pieces to alternate with my yellow gold jewellery. Whilst I appreciate their own beauty, I just don''t love them like I do yellow gold pieces. I know I''m in the minority, but hey, that''s life!
37.gif

partyjewels

Shiny_Rock
I love them both! I switch to go with what I''m wearing and wouldn''t have it any other way. I''m a little worried about what I''ll do when I get engaged, it''s likely that my guy will pick out white gold or platinum, either will be fine (thought I really hope it''s white gold out of the two!), but I won''t be able to switch everything around anymore! OH NO!!!!
23.gif
hehe Seriously though, I won''t mind if yellow gold ''comes back'', I''m in the camp of wearing what looks good on you!

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 10:34:00 AM
39.gif
).

There will ALWAYS be a trend. When I got engaged (1991) absolutely noone was buying platinum, or white gold. My mother''s wedding set from the early 50''s was platinum. I hated it. Then platinum came back, and all of a sudden I loved my mother''s vintage ring.

My friend had her yellow gold ring (from 1991) reset into platinum a few years ago.

I have no doubt that she will be having it reset again into yellow gold at some point in the future!

Wear what you love and don''t worry about the trends!

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
I own nothing in yellow and dont'' wear it at all, and I won''t be buying it as well. Just not me/

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
To answer the original question, I''ve been seeing a lot of yellow gold "fun" jewelry i.e. big stuff for going out. I have not seen anyone spending big $$ for yellow gold "serious" jewelry although I am sure someone is somewhere.

I have mixed feelings about it. I dislike some of the outdated *styles* of yellow gold jewelry, i.e. 80s stuff or little girl stuff (which is what most of my YG jewelry is). But I have nothing against yellow gold itself. I think it looks better on my skin tone than white metals actually, and I think it looks fabulous with certain gemstones ie garnet and citrine. I LOVE the richness of very pure gold, and I love the intricate yellow gold jewelry some of my friends have from India.

But here''s the thing - I''ve always thought diamonds look best set in white metals, and I like everything I wear at one time to match... since I wear a plat wedding set, this means I''m always wearing white metals!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2007 10:45:12 AM
Author: Officers girl
Why dont people just wear what they like? Set your own trend
2.gif
Exactly! I love sterling, YG, WG, and platinum! I really don''t care what color it comes in, as long as there are pretty stones or designs involved, I''m happy. I''m not a two-tone fan, but I will gladly interchange YG or white metals from time to time, and I''m 29!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Yellow gold is pretty (it looks fabulous on my mom''s gorgeous skin tone!) but for me, rose gold will always be my favorite gold. That gorgeous pinky-reddish hue makes me drool.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hate to say it, but here in Hicksville, the white metals are just starting to appear in local stores. My pave' halo and collar rings are very exotic and just not ever seen here.

Which reminds me: I need an insert for this diamond & YG piece. It's huge. The area with diamonds is 1" top to bottom and 3/4" across. Plus, it has height, maybe 1/8" off the finger. Thus, whatever band drops in there will have to be built up to bring it up to the same level as the top of the guard. Center stone will need to be 7mm to 8mm to stand up to this thing. Any ideas for how old this is, and what style of ring might have been used in there originally?

382guard.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results