shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Tiffanys really that much more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 10:22:35 AM
Author: purrfectpear
Girls may feel the need to brag about name brands but I can assure you that Ladies do not.

I suppose it may be a question of maturity or simply good manners, but in my circle we admire, we do not discuss cost, store of purchase, or actual carat weight. It is tacky.

One assumes that the ring wearer has purchased quality. If not, your questions would be embarrassing and in poor taste. If the ring is quality, why ask about the obvious?

36.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 10:58:14 AM
Author: IronMikey

I really don''t think I appreciate your tone with this. Correct me if I''m wrong but it sounds like you''re portraying us as snobish and flaunty.
Sorry IronMikey, I did not mean to imply to that. I guess I just don''t understand having to explain to friends where your ring came from. Pretty much all of my friends are MDs (or about to be, in a month) and the dynamic is so different. I personally wouldn''t even think Tiffany if I saw a 6 prong solitaire, but perhaps that''s an artifact of being on pricescope. And I certainly wouldn''t call MWM solitaire a Tiffany knock-off by any means, either. There are some settings that are undeniably Tiffany, but that''s not one for me. I like the Cartier better anyway
3.gif

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 1:21:19 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 4/22/2008 10:58:14 AM

I really don''t think I appreciate your tone with this. Correct me if I''m wrong but it sounds like you''re portraying us as snobish and flaunty.

Sorry IronMikey, I did not mean to imply to that. I guess I just don''t understand having to explain to friends where your ring came from. Pretty much all of my friends are MDs (or about to be, in a month) and the dynamic is so different. I personally wouldn''t even think Tiffany if I saw a 6 prong solitaire, but perhaps that''s an artifact of being on pricescope. And I certainly wouldn''t call MWM solitaire a Tiffany knock-off by any means, either. There are some settings that are undeniably Tiffany, but that''s not one for me. I like the Cartier better anyway
3.gif

Ha, sorry to think you did. I was unsure so I sincerely apologize. It was just that your post followed (or preceded, don''t recall) someone who certainly implied that which was a bit irritating. Also thanks to the person who replied with clapping hands...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mikey, I''d just let sleeping dogs lie at this point. The people who are arguing with you will never understand why it is important for your GF to have a ring from Tiffs or Cartier no matter how much you argue your points. BUT YOU DO.

So go make that girl happy and buy her the ring she wants! (and bring back pictures when you do!)

I don''t think ANY of us women should be judging you for getting your GF exactly what she wants if you can afford it, regardless of WHY she wants it.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 12:26:53 PM
Author: .dee
Date: 4/22/2008 9:53:58 AM

Date: 4/22/2008 2:35:13 AM

dee,

Not missing the point at all. My point with the whole thread was only concerned with my situation and then I suppose this country.

Your bills analogy is apples to oranges. A utility is not a brand name. You need to consider what you''re buying -- a gift. If you compare it to something like buying a TV for someone you''d have a better analogy. In that case I''d say that you might buy someone a Sony even though an off brand is cheaper and got a slightly better review on cNet b/c the Sony is still pretty good and you know the person getting it will feel like it''s good. That''s the situation here.

ok, look im going to have to break it down for you to into a more simplified version, my point with the energy is that the product, be it a utility a service or a good is not dependent of the brand, i.e. the electricity that one consumes is the same, regardless of the brand that it is marketed as.

As such the diamond that you are buying is the same!, whether its a T&Co stone, or something else. I have asked you to tell me what is your understanding of T&Co as a ''Brand''???

is it synonymous with quality? well not true, as many have proven you can do much better buying elsewhere, so again what is it that you are paying a premium for? explain it to me logically?

I presume you are paying the premium for no other reason then to have the ability to claim that your end product, (the diamond) is of a particular brand that would lead the uneducated to falsely assume that your product (the diamond) is of a superior quality to the others.

There is perhaps another reason to this whole debate, and that would be your gf''s desire to have something of a particular brand and so on... that is a personal matter, however dont be surprised that many dont agree with it, and find it quite humorous.

On another note, telling people off for THEIR own opinions when you requested them by making this thread is somewhat immature.

dee

Like Lisa said, you really are missing the point. Electricity is not comparable to a diamond. Perhaps if companies competed for your business there may be some analogy here but that''s not the case. Nobody in Philadelphia has an option on their power provider (I think). Its PECO. Maybe if there was an allegedly more prestigious company out there they''d chose that one over PECO. Point is, your analogy doesn''t work. You''re buying a ring, not just a diamond -- exactly as Lisa alluded to.

I''m not telling you off. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. You put forth some information that I didn''t think was accurate so I pointed that out as well. At least not accurate for people in the States.

You''re right though that my GF is uneducated when it comes to diamonds. That''s the reality that I have to work with. TO her, T/Cartier/HW is quality. I think that even if by diamond cut grading standards it isn''t top quality that all things considered for her and I, she''s right. She thinks it''s the best so....

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 2:31:45 PM
Author: neatfreak
Mikey, I''d just let sleeping dogs lie at this point. The people who are arguing with you will never understand why it is important for your GF to have a ring from Tiffs or Cartier no matter how much you argue your points. BUT YOU DO.

So go make that girl happy and buy her the ring she wants! (and bring back pictures when you do!)

I don''t think ANY of us women should be judging you for getting your GF exactly what she wants if you can afford it, regardless of WHY she wants it.

I couldn''t agree more. Thanks again!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock

Honestly, any guy who is attentive enough to know who Kate Spade is and whether his GF does or doesn’t like her bags deserves to be treated with a little kindness for listening and caring enough to get her what she wants and values. And helloooo, why should we talk Mikey out of it and deprive ourselves of the juicy juicy eye fruit that we know it will be?

3.gif

So here’s the plan: Mikey – look up some ideal cut specs for rounds based on Lorelei and Ellen’s infinite number of informational posts on the topic. Perhaps grab yourself an ideal scope and get thee to your local Tiffany/HW or Cartier to check out the goodies armed with your PS information/tools. Perhaps you can call around to have them gather a selection before you get there.

It's not like they’re selling frozen spit stones at any of those stores, so gather the specs on the ones that appeal to you, post the numbers and the RB experts can help you weed out ones that need weeding out. You’ll get the best of both worlds (PS expertise + the name and design your GF wants) and presto – you’re engaged! Happy times!

ETA - Forgot to add that I LOVE the Cartier solitaire. I love it SO MUCH.
30.gif
Some girls like a little cathedral solitaire action, and some like the Tiffany tulip/buttercup stuff. I know you'll find out which style she prefers.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I''m the owner of a 2.123ct I-SI1 ACA.
It''s gorgeous.
I think that Tiffanys is expensive, as I only paid 18,500 at Whiteflash for this perfect stone, and not 30,000!!!
35.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 9:50:21 AM

I don''t think you understand how small a sample size you''re thinking about here. Sure there may be increasing numbers of women on here or there may be increasing numbers of people who use diamond forums altogether.

BUT!!!

Think about how many people get engaged each year. I''m sure it dwarfs the number of people on this or all other forums. Thus you don''t really have this vast number of people who care about or know about cut quality etc. There''s a reason the first question a sales rep asks is, ''are you familiar with the 4 C''s.'' It''s because most people are probably starting from this level of knowledge.

Also, are you seriously telling me that girls don''t ask to hear about an ER? Like where did he get it etc...

C''mon now. That''s a bit silly to say. It isn''t tacky, it''s a curiosity that people share and it''s something to talk about. Is it tacky for a girl to see the Tiffany classic 6 prong and say, ''is that from Tiffany''s?'' No, it''s only natural. What I think some people might find equally tacky to the things you discussed is if the girl answered, ''no it''s not from T and Co -- it''s a replica (aka knock-off)''

Don''t you think people get these people getting replicas are inviting people to think the ring is from Tiffany''s?

Hi,

Thinking about the people that get engaged each year, i believe there are those who got engaged with a Tiffany, there are those that who got engaged with a B&M ring, there are those who got engaged with a ring purchased over the net, and there are those that got engaged without a diamond ring. My hunch will be that the largest population will be those that got engaged without a diamond ring followed by those who got engaged with a B&M ring.

I agree that within your close circle of friends, they might know that the simple 6 prong diamond ring is from Tiffany. Chances are with colleagues or people that you meet, they are not going to know. And your lady is going to meet a lot more people who are not going to know and she cannot declare that it is a Tiffany without appearing tacky.

Imagine this:
You and your lady are having a nice dinner out, her new well cut 1.7 ct Tiffany 6 prong round diamond ring scintillating beautifully in the restaurant candlelight. Both of you know that you have a gorgeous Tiffany, the real thing. Then, something on the lady from the next table caught her eye. It is the other lady''s diamond, also scintillating just as beautifully, and looks pretty well cut too. You can''t really tell where the ring is from, it is a simple 6 prong solitaire, but both of you can tell that it is quite well cut and defnitely larger. Perhaps a little more than 2ct or a little less than 2.5ct, but defnitely bigger. Do you know what your lady would prefer in this case? Size or brand? And this situation is going to show up a lot - in the library, in a boutique etc. etc. Would she always be satisfied that hers is a Tiffany/Cartier all the time if she is aware that the budget could have purchased a bigger just as well cut diamond elsewhere? Especially in situations when she cannot declare that her ring is from Tiffany/Cartier?

Again, i am not anti-Tiffany. I just think that for generic round diamonds, you can get a bigger gorgeous ring with a well cut diamond elsewhere for the same budget. The Tiffany 6 prong diamond ring is a ring with both a generic well cut round diamond and a generic 6 prong platinum setting, differentiated by branding. Unless you study the profile of the Tiffany 6 prong and look at the T&Co stamp, it is not easy to tell whether it is a Tiffany. It is unlike some handbags such as balenciaga or a chanel 2.55, which a lot of ladies can easily identify even without the logo on display due to its unique design. Also, just because it is a 6 prong setting does not mean it is a fake Tiffany - it is just a more secure way to set a diamond as compared to 3 or 4 prongs. The Mark Morrell Flame setting, also 6 prong, in my opinion, far surpasses the simple Tiffany 6 prong.

My point is since you have researched about diamonds on Pricescope, have you attempted to share what you have learnt with your lady? If you lady had the same information as you do, she might choose differently and you will never know unless you ask. Many ladies came to this forum wanting a Tiffany and ending up choose a larger well cut diamond purchased elsewhere. If she still opt for brand, go for the Tiffany or Cartier because you would want her to be totally satisfied and happy with the ring. If you do not intend to involve her in the diamond search and since you mentioned that the branding is important, then a Tiffany legacy, novo or lucida may be a good choice because these are unmistakably Tiffany.

To answer your question, yes, outside of the close circle of girlfriends, anyone who ask too much detail about the ring - whether it is from Tiffany, how many carats, what colour and clarity etc. IS tacky.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 2:57:45 PM
Author: pixley

Honestly, any guy who is attentive enough to know who Kate Spade is and whether his GF does or doesn’t like her bags deserves to be treated with a little kindness for listening and caring enough to get her what she wants and values. And helloooo, why should we talk Mikey out of it and deprive ourselves of the juicy juicy eye fruit that we know it will be?

3.gif

So here’s the plan: Mikey – look up some ideal cut specs for rounds based on Lorelei and Ellen’s infinite number of informational posts on the topic. Perhaps grab yourself an ideal scope and get thee to your local Tiffany/HW or Cartier to check out the goodies armed with your PS information/tools. Perhaps you can call around to have them gather a selection before you get there.

It''s not like they’re selling frozen spit stones at any of those stores, so gather the specs on the ones that appeal to you, post the numbers and the RB experts can help you weed out ones that need weeding out. You’ll get the best of both worlds (PS expertise + the name and design your GF wants) and presto – you’re engaged! Happy times!

ETA - Forgot to add that I LOVE the Cartier solitaire. I love it SO MUCH.
30.gif
Some girls like a little cathedral solitaire action, and some like the Tiffany tulip/buttercup stuff. I know you''ll find out which style she prefers.
Triple DITTO. Mikey, do what would make your lady the happiest !!!!

BTW, I wanted to point out something which is clearly off topic. Those who might have followed my threads might be on the fence as of why I am now unhappy with my setting. I just wanted to clarify that my hoorays came out a tad early and before my setting was "adjusted". After that, I sent the ring back for modifications, which I was told could be done properly. These changes kinda screwed the whole thing up. After one more attempt to fix the wrongs, the setting is now even worse than before ...R.I.P... This is how things went south. So, no I am not bipolar.
7.gif

Mikey, sorry for the brief threadjacking action .... I just want to wish you luck and please let us know how it goes !!!! Pics are always welcomed.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IronMikey, coming on here where cut is king, yes people are going to ding Tiffanys because of their brand mark up and the fact that they don''t provide the kind of cut info many here want. In a sense,they are following the rule: get the best cut diamond you can get for the money.
However the bottom line rule is, get a ring that will make your fiance happy. If you know that getting the Tiffany''s will make her thrilled and weak in the knees, and a comparable non-branded ideal cut, even one that is bigger, will not make her feel the same way, then you have your answer. In the end it doesn''t really matter what we think.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/19/2008 8:18:48 PM
Author: butterfly 17

Date: 4/19/2008 7:39:47 PM
Author: kathyinjapan

Date: 4/19/2008 6:56:08 PM
Author: butterfly 17
I don''t know if this true. I have a few Tiffany rings, count 7 of them, and a solitaire, and I always had to pay for resizing, cleaning and polishing. It definitely was not complimentary at all.

This applied wether or not it was platinum, diamonds, or silver. I think the first time you buy, if it is not your size, then they will do it for free, but after that, you have to pay for it.
I have two of their rings - a solitare and a half eternity band.

I had my e-ring resized upon purchase in Japan, and regularly checked and cleaned by them afterwards. Later in America I had my wedding ring resized and both rings cleaned. Most recently in Australia they checked and cleaned both my rings and repaired a prong on my wedding band.

All these services have been complimentary and T&Co have assured me that this will continue for the lifetime of both rings.

Maybe your getting special treatment
2.gif
or maybe it depends on how long you have had the rings before you had the work done. or perhaps you had the receipt.

All I know is rhat the resizing is a one time deal, after that, you have to pay for it. I have had three wedding rings resized, one with diamonds, similar to your ring, a 3 mm. lucida band and the elsa peretti platinum band and I had to pay to have them resized. I had all the work done at the Tiffany''s on 5th Avenue in NYC.

The cleaning is probably free, but I am positive that to have it polished and cleaned is not, again, I had a few silver things polished and cleaned and had to pay for it. In fact when you go to the service area, they have a list of fees that shows the price for different services.

When you had your rings cleaned did they polish them as well, because the times I had it done, I had to leave it at the store for a few days or hours, depending on how busy they are. A few times they even mailed it out to me because I could not wait.

If they just cleaned it or checked the prongs, then maybe they did not charge for it.

In fact, I have knife edge band that is a size six and I took it to a Tiffany''s in NJ ( Short Hills Mall) and they told me it would take at least a week and I would be charged for the resizing.

Maybe I am wrong, but my wallet doesn''t seem to think I am..
I have the Elsa Peretti flower ring, and matching sapphire earrings, and have had them cleaned--for free--twice. Not only that, but Tiffany cleaned my six-prong solitaire for free as well (a non-Tiffany ring). I didn''t go to the sixth floor, btw--just had someone on the second floor clean them for me whilst I was browsing the emeralds.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ursula,

I think that there is confusion between cleaning and resizing and/or polishing.

I don''t mean that they charge for just a cleaning. By cleaning I mean, taking the ring, dipping it in cleaning solution and steaming it and then handing it back to you after a few minutes.

A simple cleaning is usually complimentary. Most every jewelery store I have been to has cleaned my ring for free without me asking them to do it.

I meant that they do charge for resizing a ring or having it polished and cleaned (the cleaning they have to do after it is polished anyway as it would be all dirty from the polishing).

As far as I know, they do size one time for free and they may do complimentary polishing and cleaning if the rings where purchased within a year.

After a year, if you want the ring polished or sized, you have to pay for it.

They probably cleaned your non-Tiffany ring because they were cleaning your other stuff as well. I am sure they have the cleaning/steam machine on each floor. I don''t think the saleperson ran upstairs to the 6th floor with your stuff. That''s a huge potential liability (imagine if they lost your e-ring or dropped it or damaged it on the way up or down) and I highly doubt you would let the person go off with your ring just like that without following them. If I saw someone hop on the elevator with my rings in tow, I would want to know exactly where they were going.

I am positive if you had asked them to polish or resize your e-ring, they would have said no. Also I am sure that if you had asked them to polish your Peretti flower ring and earrings, they would have directed you to the 6th floor and you would not only have had to wait for it, or leave your items behind, but also had to pay for it.

The next time your at Tiffany''s, check it out. There really is a list of fees for services, and it is fairly pricey.
2.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Wow! What an interesting thread - I read every single post! I am typically a lurker but have been reading threads for several years. I just love looking at the pretty jewelry and learning.

Around 70% of my friends have e-rings from T&Co and the others have so-so custom made rings and diamonds. The T&Co rings are nicer than the so-so custom made rings and diamonds that my other friends have. But I have seen much nicer stones on here and from my mother who is a total diamond nut (she would never buy a T&Co and have given me all the T&Co pieces she received as gifts - lucky me). Now, don''t get me wrong - I love T&Co but every time I look at my T&Co pieces .. I can''t believe the price tag that is associated with what I actually have in my hand. I even made my boyfriend return the last T&Co necklace he got for me because I rather have something else for that price.

I understand the value of a brand name .. I am superficial that way especially with my clothing and bags .. but I would be totally upset if my boyfriend dropped 20-30K on a T&Co e-ring. In my circle of friends, the T&Co e-rings are so common that it doesn''t have the wow factor anymore (but I will take a HW!).

Instead of the 2 statements given above, I much rather be able to say that my boyfriend spent months researching diamonds and designing a custom ring. It is more special to me than if he walked into T&Co and walked out with a good ring. I always make fun of my guy friends as taking the easy route when purchasing from T&Co - yes, they will end up with a nice ring and the girl will like it. They all admit that it is true and they couldn''t be bothered with researching the diamonds and finding a good custom jeweler.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/22/2008 12:06:32 PM
Author: lisa1.01fvs1
Wow go to sleep for 7 hrs and all this!!!

OK, to those who are getting all caught up w/ customer service and how they felt in the store - it varies and some of the feelings sound like projections of internal issues - inferiority, awkwardness in such a store, etc. Not trying to ''blame the victim'' but come on.

This is busineses. Whatever they do or don''t say doesn''t matter if you are there to get the jewlery.

I have had snobbish SAs and very down to Earth ones and everything inbetween. I enjoy the cleanings and other aspects.

I experience the same variety of service at other places, independent jewlers and Cartier''s (very nice SA there in particular).

As to the brand name dropping - I find this a non-point. Who cares really? I can spot a real whatever......but no one has ever asked about my ring except BIL and he''s caught up in the status thing anyway. And like on PS I adore other''s rings for what they are never asking about brand.

Sometimes the woman offers where she got the ring or I''ll ask as part of the natural flow of conversation but it''s never a ''I got mine here and you didn''t.'' I always see gorgeous rings everywhere.

Still waiting for T to respond to my email yesterday. any repsonse yet?

And Garry, where did diamond #3 come from?

Tiffany

Very enigmatic and difficult to interpret your ex.

Sure the table''s large and pav. a bit steep but so what?

How does the stone look, did you see an IS? No, but the customer did and made a good summary of the visual differences too on the link above

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 10:13:45 AM

I think you''re right. Thanks for the encouragement. I just get frustrated with people who try to imply people who make this choice are in some way stupid or they''re a sucker (you certainly have NOT done this
1.gif
)

Thanks again!
Hello again :)

I have read the whole thread and despite many things which have been said I honestly don''t think anyone has ever accused another PSer of being ''stupid'' or a ''sucker'' for making a personal decision to shop at Tiffany.

I think part of what''s happened here (and caused such great debate) is that initially IronMikey asked a question about Tiffany which was pretty much based on the financial aspect of shopping at Tiffany... ie. does it really cost that much more when you factor in 0% interest etc etc etc.

However, I think the real point here is that IronMikey''s decision as to whether he buys a ring from Cartier or Tiffany will ultimately have little or nothing to do with the financial side of things, and whether or nor he could buy a similar ring elsewhere for less money.

IronMikey''s decision will be based on pleasing his future fiancee, and what she would want - and it is obvious that she would absolutely LOVE a ring from Cartier or Tiffany. Therefore, that is probably what he should (and, I expect, most likely will) buy for her.

Sometimes money doesn''t really come into things - and I think part of what stirred up a bit of a hornets'' nest here is that IM was making a financial argument for an emotional purchasing decision. :)

Ultimately, the main thing is that IM''s FF is delighted with her diamond ring - so I think Cartier/Tiffany is definitely the way to go.

x x x

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 5:12:39 AM
Author: Cleo

I think you''re right. Thanks for the encouragement. I just get frustrated with people who try to imply people who make this choice are in some way stupid or they''re a sucker (you certainly have NOT done this
1.gif
)

Thanks again!

I have read the whole thread and despite many things which have been said I honestly don''t think anyone has ever accused another PSer of being ''stupid'' or a ''sucker'' for making a personal decision to shop at Tiffany.

I think part of what''s happened here (and caused such great debate) is that initially IronMikey asked a question about Tiffany which was pretty much based on the financial aspect of shopping at Tiffany... ie. does it really cost that much more when you factor in 0% interest etc etc etc.

However, I think the real point here is that IronMikey''s decision as to whether he buys a ring from Cartier or Tiffany will ultimately have little or nothing to do with the financial side of things, and whether or nor he could buy a similar ring elsewhere for less money.

IronMikey''s decision will be based on pleasing his future fiancee, and what she would want - and it is obvious that she would absolutely LOVE a ring from Cartier or Tiffany. Therefore, that is probably what he should (and, I expect, most likely will) buy for her.

Sometimes money doesn''t really come into things - and I think part of what stirred up a bit of a hornets'' nest here is that IM was making a financial argument for an emotional purchasing decision. :)

Ultimately, the main thing is that IM''s FF is delighted with her diamond ring - so I think Cartier/Tiffany is definitely the way to go.

x x x
I think it is perfectly fine if IM''s lady prefers a Cartier/Tiffany. Unless I am mistaken, I don''t think IM has said that his lady has asked for a branded diamond ring but he believes that she will prefer a branded diamond ring and hence is trying to justify the premium with the soft factors. I still maintain that the question is, if IM were to share his PS knowledge with his lady, would she still prefer brand over size.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 9:08:42 AM
Author: simplysplendid
Date: 4/23/2008 5:12:39 AM

Author: Cleo

1.gif
)

Thanks again!

x x x

I think it is perfectly fine if IM''s lady prefers a Cartier/Tiffany. Unless I am mistaken, I don''t think IM has said that his lady has asked for a branded diamond ring but he believes that she will prefer a branded diamond ring and hence is trying to justify the premium with the soft factors. I still maintain that the question is, if IM were to share his PS knowledge with his lady, would she still prefer brand over size.

Well oddly enough I just had this sort of discussion with her yesterday. I don''t want her to have any clue what she''s going to get exactly so I asked her now roughly 6-9 months away from the actual date I''d pop the question.

Basically I asked her this: If you could have a 1.7ish ct from Cartier or you could have a 2.0-2.2 ct from somewhere else which would you prefer? I explained that the 2 ct stone would be a perfectly cut stone and would likely be of at least equal clarity and probably better color. I also told her to assume that the setting would be delicate and perfect just like the one from Cartier.

Her response: [After a long pause thinking] Assuming that the setting is great -- I''d want the larger diamond. The only person who would know it''s from Cartier would be me. The only person I''d probably ever tell would be my mom and she''d be pissed at you for spending that much money.

It was a tough call for her though just as it would be for me

So where I am I now? I''m beginning a 6 month search for the perfect stone and perfect setting. If I don''t find it then I''ll just go with the Cartier.

I''m hoping for a VS2 (SI1 only if eye clean), ideal cut H & A, H color or better, 2+ ct stone and a setting that looks a lot like the Cartier one. diamondseeker sent me a link to her setting.

This setting from Leon Mege has been recommended

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 4:04:22 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 4/22/2008 12:06:32 PM
Wow go to sleep for 7 hrs and all this!!!

OK, to those who are getting all caught up w/ customer service and how they felt in the store - it varies and some of the feelings sound like projections of internal issues - inferiority, awkwardness in such a store, etc. Not trying to ''blame the victim'' but come on.

This is busineses. Whatever they do or don''t say doesn''t matter if you are there to get the jewlery.

I have had snobbish SAs and very down to Earth ones and everything inbetween. I enjoy the cleanings and other aspects.

I experience the same variety of service at other places, independent jewlers and Cartier''s (very nice SA there in particular).

As to the brand name dropping - I find this a non-point. Who cares really? I can spot a real whatever......but no one has ever asked about my ring except BIL and he''s caught up in the status thing anyway. And like on PS I adore other''s rings for what they are never asking about brand.

Sometimes the woman offers where she got the ring or I''ll ask as part of the natural flow of conversation but it''s never a ''I got mine here and you didn''t.'' I always see gorgeous rings everywhere.

Still waiting for T to respond to my email yesterday. any repsonse yet?

And Garry, where did diamond #3 come from?

Tiffany

Very enigmatic and difficult to interpret your ex.

Sure the table''s large and pav. a bit steep but so what?

How does the stone look, did you see an IS? No, but the customer did and made a good summary of the visual differences too on the link above
So I guess it pays to look at many stones. Curious to see what the polish, symmetry was on those examined.

Yes, response, spoke to T&Co. GG - Rosemarie in NY just now.

She was unaware of the image and did agree it looked off in the pic. but also added that the pic. is a stock photo from public realtions/ad dept.

She said the images are enhanced to demonstrate the issue - I pointed out what was wrong and she agreed but said "YOU HAVE TO SEE THE STONE IN PERSON."

"The girdle facets in real stones are not as pronounced as in the image but I will research where the pic came from and get back with you."

She also knew about PS and I directed her to the thread.......Also, that T will get back to me once my email makes its way through the proper channels.

Don''t know if this is validation or not?

She didn''t seem that bothered by the off pic. but was definitey curious - and she knew what brillianteering is.

I''ll keep you updated.........
4.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 11:00:20 AM

Well oddly enough I just had this sort of discussion with her yesterday. I don''t want her to have any clue what she''s going to get exactly so I asked her now roughly 6-9 months away from the actual date I''d pop the question.

Basically I asked her this: If you could have a 1.7ish ct from Cartier or you could have a 2.0-2.2 ct from somewhere else which would you prefer? I explained that the 2 ct stone would be a perfectly cut stone and would likely be of at least equal clarity and probably better color. I also told her to assume that the setting would be delicate and perfect just like the one from Cartier.

Her response: [After a long pause thinking] Assuming that the setting is great -- I''d want the larger diamond. The only person who would know it''s from Cartier would be me. The only person I''d probably ever tell would be my mom and she''d be pissed at you for spending that much money.

It was a tough call for her though just as it would be for me

So where I am I now? I''m beginning a 6 month search for the perfect stone and perfect setting. If I don''t find it then I''ll just go with the Cartier.

I''m hoping for a VS2 (SI1 only if eye clean), ideal cut H & A, H color or better, 2+ ct stone and a setting that looks a lot like the Cartier one. diamondseeker sent me a link to her setting.

This setting from Leon Mege has been recommended
Glad you asked her, now you have your answer! BTW, I really liked her answer, about her mom, funny.

Good luck with your journey, I''ve no doubt she''ll end up with a killer ring! And I also vote for Leon Mege.
2.gif

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
te:[/b] 4/23/2008 11:43:00 AM
Glad you asked her, now you have your answer! BTW, I really liked her answer, about her mom, funny.

Good luck with your journey, I''ve no doubt she''ll end up with a killer ring! And I also vote for Leon Mege.
2.gif
[/quote]

Thanks, Ellen.

I''m sure it''s a journey you''ll all be kept up-to-date on. I''m counting on everyone in a big way! And I promise all the pictures you could ever want when it''s all said and done

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Ellen.

I''m sure it''s a journey you''ll all be kept up-to-date on. I''m counting on everyone in a big way! And I promise all the pictures you could ever want when it''s all said and done

Oh goody.
9.gif

We''re here to help, whenever, and however!

And you''re quite welcome.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
IM isn''t it funny how this whole thread eventually was about what we thought your g/f wanted and you were certainly trying to get into her head about rings and all?
3.gif

I guess just asking her was the ticket!

Goes to show you never know what someone else is thinking.

I''ll be curious to see how you progess.

And pics. lots and lots of pics.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 11:59:40 AM
IM isn''t it funny how this whole thread eventually was about what we thought your g/f wanted and you were certainly trying to get into her head about rings and all?
3.gif

Yup, I''m certainly glad I asked. I think eventually I''ll be faced with the same question though: Is _____ worth the premium. I''d be lying if I said she didn''t prefer Cartier so if I can stretch my budget to get something in a similar ct range I''ll have to think about what I want to do. I was just very glad to hear she''s open to the idea of getting a top notch stone that isn''t branded.

She was really a tough call -- she loves a lot of name brand things but as she put it, that is usually b/c the brand is better (better fitting, better looking, better material/durability). She''s also really smart and practical. That''s why she wouldn''t want to pay for the name inside her ring when something bigger and better is out there for less money.

Somewhere in between there I''ll have to figure things out. Fun times!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 12:06:42 PM

Yup, I''m certainly glad I asked. I think eventually I''ll be faced with the same question though: Is _____ worth the premium. I''d be lying if I said she didn''t prefer Cartier so if I can stretch my budget to get something in a similar ct range I''ll have to think about what I want to do. I was just very glad to hear she''s open to the idea of getting a top notch stone that isn''t branded.

She was really a tough call -- she loves a lot of name brand things but as she put it, that is usually b/c the brand is better (better fitting, better looking, better material/durability). She''s also really smart and practical. That''s why she wouldn''t want to pay for the name inside her ring when something bigger and better is out there for less money.

Great news, can''t wait to see what you find
1.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 12:34:26 PM
Author: Skippy123

Great news, can''t wait to see what you find
1.gif
Glad to hear you''ve had the conversation with her - she''s very logical and practical about it.

Good luck on your search for the perfect ring!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 4/23/2008 11:59:40 AM
3.gif

I''m sure she is! Good on you for asking what she wants and I''m sure Leon Mege will deliver a killer
36.gif
! Show us pics when you are done!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for Leon Mege!! If I had a large budget I would have went to him in a heartbeat over T&Co. or any other brand name for that matter. His work is utterly amazing, it''s like art (no pun intended).

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 4:48:53 PM
Author: MoonWater
Another vote for Leon Mege!! If I had a large budget I would have went to him in a heartbeat over T&Co. or any other brand name for that matter. His work is utterly amazing, it''s like art (no pun intended).
I think every girl should have a Leon
36.gif

IronMikey- I''m glad you were able to ask your girl about her preferences, so now you''ve given yourself more options. I''ll bet you can find a killer stone and Leon setting. And if nothing comes along that strikes your fancy, Cartier / Tiffany certainly are lovely backups
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results