shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Tiffanys really that much more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 1:43:10 AM
Author: .dee

Date: 4/22/2008 1:22:51 AM
Author: lisa1.01fvs1
.dee it depends on the cut variables which you didn''t see.

They were very forthcoming in showing me all the specs on everything I was looking at.

Did you get a replica setting?

well, what i dont understand is this, the stone that i got from WF is as per specs bellow:

AGS 0
2.02 carats
F
VS2
No Fluorescence

HCA Score of 1 (see the picture bellow)

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Excellent

Ideal Polish and so on...

and my understanding is that i''d be pretty hard for T&CO to have a better cut than this and to charge a $50,000 premium.

So to me, unless someone can show otherwise it is $50,000 purely for the name
.dee please read the caveats w/ HCA. Especially iof this is how you''re measuring cut.

Certainly not applicable here.

I''m glad you found a diamond you like.

To bad you didn''t get the specs on the Tiff''s stone.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 2:18:52 AM
Date: 4/22/2008 1:54:49 AM

Author: IronMikey

dee

To many women, compliments and ''ohhs'' and ''ahhs'' they hear when they tell a friend thier ring is from Tiffany and Co is the only measure of quality that matters.

Statement 1: It''s from Cartier/HW/T and Co

Statement 2: It''s a AGS0, Hearts and Arrows and it has a kick ass HCA rating

Which statement do you think a woman (most women) would rather make? That''s worth something.

Im sorry but i miss the logic in your reasoning.

''Statement 1 It''s from Cartier/HW/T and Co''

it doesnt mean anything if a no-brand diamond outperforms the T&Co visually on so mnay levels

''Statement 2: It''s a AGS0, Hearts and Arrows and it has a kick ass HCA rating''

again, AGS0, H&A, and good HCA ratings are NOT advertising tools, but rather validations that it is a quality cut diamond therefore performing very very well visualy.

I''m saying which statement do you think a woman would rather make about her ring to her friends...

I''m saying that she''d rather simply say it''s from ____, rather than go into details that only a small fraction of people (yes, this community is a small percentage of the people you bump into) would ever care about.

Regardless of what the statement means (ad tool vs. ratings) which would a woman want to make? I think clearly statement 1 would be preferable when she might be talking to coworkers/friends/family. Maybe when she''s at your house for dinner statement 2 would be preferable.

.dee

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 2:19:47 AM
dee please read the caveats w/ HCA. Especially iof this is how you''re measuring cut.

thanks, i am aware, the point im making is not that HCA of 1 or so is the ABSOLUTE perfect cut, but rather that it is a good indicator of a good cut.

and out of interest I will actually try and email the store and ask about that particular stone, we were there within the last 4 weeks so it wasnt long ago.

.dee

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 2:23:59 AM

dee

To many women, compliments and ''ohhs'' and ''ahhs'' they hear when they tell a friend thier ring is from Tiffany and Co is the only measure of quality that matters.

Which statement do you think a woman (most women) would rather make? That''s worth something.

it doesnt mean anything if a no-brand diamond outperforms the T&Co visually on so mnay levels

''Statement 2: It''s a AGS0, Hearts and Arrows and it has a kick ass HCA rating''
again, AGS0, H&A, and good HCA ratings are NOT advertising tools, but rather validations that it is a quality cut diamond therefore performing very very well visualy.

I''m saying which statement do you think a woman would rather make about her ring to her friends...

I''m saying that she''d rather simply say it''s from ____, rather than go into details that only a small fraction of people (yes, this community is a small percentage of the people you bump into) would ever care about.

Regardless of what the statement means (ad tool vs. ratings) which would a woman want to make? I think clearly statement 1 would be preferable when she might be talking to coworkers/friends/family. Maybe when she''s at your house for dinner statement 2 would be preferable.

well, i think to some extent you are missing the point, or perhaps im more inclined to see it from our local geographical perspective, see, you can have a diamond of any brand, cut, price, and so on, but ultimately in my view it is its visual performance that will give you appreciation from others.

prime example was the one i described at T&CO, the customer had no idea that my girls one was not a T&Co, yet she asked for that one from the sales assistant.

tell me what is the point of the "Brand" when evaluating a diamond? would you be prepared to pay a premium for your electricity if the monthly bills come leather bound with blue bow on them? the logic is the same.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 2:26:45 AM

dee please read the caveats w/ HCA. Especially iof this is how you''re measuring cut.

thanks, i am aware, the point im making is not that HCA of 1 or so is the ABSOLUTE perfect cut, but rather that it is a good indicator of a good cut.

and out of interest I will actually try and email the store and ask about that particular stone, we were there within the last 4 weeks so it wasnt long ago.
On virtual stones you are wading through. Not those you can see and/or possibly have IS images. Or those already graded.

Pg. 2 of this post Garry and I discuss the HCA and its limitations.

Cool I''d love it if you could get the specs!

Again, HCA is not the gauge for that diamond since you saw it for yourself and it wasn''t a dog.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 2:18:22 AM

Date: 4/22/2008 2:11:41 AM
Author: simplysplendid

dee

Statement 3: I want a bigger diamond

Statement 4: I want a smaller diamond

Which statement do you think most women would rather make.
31.gif

I believe that after being educated that essentially, the diamonds are from the same source but priced differently because of the branding, and that for the same budget, you CAN get a bigger diamond with the same quality elsewhere, most ladies will choose a bigger diamond. It''s probably whether the guys get the chance to educate the ladies (to keep the element of surprise, for example).

Honestly, a bigger whiteflash stone or a smaller Cartier... I think you''d still have a solid split in preference. A 2ct ACA is around $22-24K (setting included), a 1.7ct Cartier ran about $25K. I don''t think too many women would pass on the Cartier. You have to think about the women who aren''t on pricescope remember...

Educating a woman about diamonds just isn''t enough sometimes. For 25 years (or however long your GF has been alive) they have heard the names T and Co, HW, Cartier. A little diamond talk might not be enough to undo that. These names are synonymous with quality to them...not HCA scores or idealscope imaages
Hi, I''m a woman in my mid-thirties and love jewelry and was glad to find pricescope and educated myself before making expensive purchases. There are many ladies who has educated themselves here on Pricescope and have shopped for the diamond together with their other half. From the increasing number of members posting on Ladies in Waiting forum, I can only guess that the number of ladies on Pricescope seeking education on diamonds are increasing. I recommended my female colleagues and friends to pricescope and the HCA and they were convinced too that indeed, one can get the same quality without the branding at a cheaper price. Just a little research goes a long way with our and our significant others'' pockets.

When someone look at our diamonds, especially when we have more than one piece of jewelry, they are unlikely to ask if it is a Tiffany. It is tacky for anyone wearing diamonds or their engagement ring, to announce to others that this is a Tiffany diamond. How is the conversation leading to Statement 1 suppose to start? Someone asks to see the ring and your lady announces that it is from Cartier/Tiffany/HW? Or do you make the announcement on her behalf? Or should your lady remove the ring and show her friends the T&Co stamp? Either way, it is tacky. So chances are, even if you own a diamond from Cartier/Tiffany/HW, only your lady and you know it. Whether that is worth the premium or not is a personal decision. I think a bigger diamond speaks for itself (again, talking about the same quality round diamonds here for discussion purposes). Have you tried educating your lady and then ask her whether Statement 3 or 4 is true?

I am not anti-Tiffany. I love Tiffany and I do purchase other jewelry from them, in fact, a lot of jewelry, for their design. I will purchase a Tiffany diamond only if I am purchasing the other cuts such as the Lucida or Novo. As for a generic round diamond, you CAN get the same quality at lower prices elsewhere.

And my hubby can attest to it, Statement 3 is true for me. I don''t even need an ACA, a 2.2 carat expert selection is good enough to compare with the cut found at Tiffany. When there is a budget, so I would choose a 2.2carat ES over a 1.7 carat Tiffany/HW/Cartier, anytime. If there is no budget, give me a D IF 10ct honker.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 1:11:48 AM

Date: 4/19/2008 7:17:02 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I wish one of our fellow PSers would post his experience with shopping T&Co. in here.

He was quoted ~$30k for a 1.5, F, VS2 from T&Co., and asked for my help in finding something bigger/better. I asked if the name brand was important to him, and as I understood it, it really wasn''t.

I introduced him to Katie at WF, and they ended up finding an amazingly well performing 2.0 F, VS2 in a H&A style for $27k - add in the 6 prong heavy TIffany setting and he was OTD for less than $28k or so.

Some women would prefer the T&Co diamond and setting, some the extra .5 ct. - at the end of the day, all that matters is that you feel your cost/benefit was positive.

i''ll preface what im saying by mentioning that my dealings with T&Co were at their Sydney store in Aust.

we looked at a number of stones/rings there for quite sometime, it seems to me that there is either a lack of information or lack of disclosure on their behalf, i asked as to what the cut proportions of the stone was and was usually told, ''oh its beautiful, very very good cut'' well up until talking to Lauren, that would have been an adequate answer for me, and in conjunction with the whole ''... at T&Co we only sell the best...'' mantra, I would have probably purchased the ring form there.

Well, i didnt and im glad for it, as the WF diamond that I bought, after delivery and all local taxes ended up costing me about $40k, just recently we were at T&Co, and a similar, i do mean very very similar stone was retailing at $95k, now do bear in mind that the cut of the WF stone is excellent, HCA 1, EX/EX/EX/EX, AGS0. So the question is, is it possible that the T&Co stone was so much better cut then the one that i got as to attract a $50k premium?
Out of curiosity how do you know they were similar if you didn''t see the cut stats?

I guess you''ll be posting specs soon.

.dee

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 2:51:53 AM
Date: 4/22/2008 1:11:48 AM

Date: 4/19/2008 7:17:02 PM

Author: LaurenThePartier

I wish one of our fellow PSers would post his experience with shopping T&Co. in here.

He was quoted ~$30k for a 1.5, F, VS2 from T&Co., and asked for my help in finding something bigger/better. I asked if the name brand was important to him, and as I understood it, it really wasn''t.

I introduced him to Katie at WF, and they ended up finding an amazingly well performing 2.0 F, VS2 in a H&A style for $27k - add in the 6 prong heavy TIffany setting and he was OTD for less than $28k or so.

Some women would prefer the T&Co diamond and setting, some the extra .5 ct. - at the end of the day, all that matters is that you feel your cost/benefit was positive.

i''ll preface what im saying by mentioning that my dealings with T&Co were at their Sydney store in Aust.

we looked at a number of stones/rings there for quite sometime, it seems to me that there is either a lack of information or lack of disclosure on their behalf, i asked as to what the cut proportions of the stone was and was usually told, ''oh its beautiful, very very good cut'' well up until talking to Lauren, that would have been an adequate answer for me, and in conjunction with the whole ''... at T&Co we only sell the best...'' mantra, I would have probably purchased the ring form there.

Well, i didnt and im glad for it, as the WF diamond that I bought, after delivery and all local taxes ended up costing me about $40k, just recently we were at T&Co, and a similar, i do mean very very similar stone was retailing at $95k, now do bear in mind that the cut of the WF stone is excellent, HCA 1, EX/EX/EX/EX, AGS0. So the question is, is it possible that the T&Co stone was so much better cut then the one that i got as to attract a $50k premium?
Out of curiosity how do you know they were similar if you didn''t see the cut stats?

I guess you''ll be posting specs soon.

as i mentioned in my message.

I do not know the cut details, as T&CO only said that "...it was very good..." however since my stone that i did not buy from T&Co, was a AGS0, HCA 1, ES, I assume that there is only so much "better" that the T&Co can potentialy be. And even then, we have to value the premium $50,000 that they are charging for it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/22/2008 2:46:01 AM

Date: 4/22/2008 2:26:45 AM

On virtual stones you are wading through. Not those you can see and/or possibly have IS images. Or those already graded.

Pg. 2 of this post Garry and I discuss the HCA and its limitations.

Cool I''d love it if you could get the specs!

Again, HCA is not the gauge for that diamond since you saw it for yourself and it wasn''t a dog.
True guy''s, please do not use hCA as a grading standard (even though GIA do) as it is a bad policy.

I scanned the debate so far. I think the score is 63 all, and I am very happy that you are all enjoying
30.gif
it and staying nice
12.gif
36.gif

I think SimplySplendid makes a good case
"Statement 3: I want a bigger diamond"

If one girl has a 1ct Tiffany and the other has a 1.5ct really well cut stone then it could be no contest!
Especially if the poor 1ct soul ended up with this Tiffany stone

Diamond #3
Round Brilliant .94 F VVS2
Table: 59%
Depth: 61.8
Crown: 34.7 deg
Pavillion: 43.7%

HCA : 3.4

I really do hope that Tiffany gemo''s will come and read this as they have I believe an obligation to protect their brand and stay up with the ever evolving world.

pj_rage

Rough_Rock
After looking at this post: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-day-at-tiffanys-with-the-i-scope.69733/

It looks like Tiffany CAN have some great cuts, but their consistency seems to be lacking?

Anyway, I''m still in the process of shopping. Originally I was dead set on a Tiffany ring, but after trying to find out if it was worth it, I stumbled into PS and the rest is history
2.gif

One thing I can say about the Tiffany I went to, is that the customer service was awful. They made me feel so small when I was in there looking at measly $8500-$10k rings. At the time, I was in there with a friend and just browsing, but still. When I asked any questions about the diamonds/rings, they just had the attitude of being insulted, like "Are you serious? This is a Tiffany ring! Of course it''s the best and the most beautiful. Why do you need more information? Did we mention that it''s Tiffany??" At the time I just thought that was pretty much their mentality for the whole store and nothing out of the ordinary (I''d shopped there for little things for the GF plenty of times, and I''ll continue to!), but as I thought about it over the next couple weeks it really bugged me. They were basically trivializing the whole process of buying a ring, which I thought should be an important time in my life. They laid out a few rings in the size/price range and put on the "pick one, they''re all the same except for price" attitude. This is ultimately what turned me off about Tiffany.

Then, I learned of the vendors here, and how it''s pretty much garunteed that a diamond from them will be more beatiful (or at least equal to) most/all Tiffany diamonds. And, as a bonus, my same budget (which is fixed (and maxed!)) could afford a bigger diamond, which I know my GF will really enjoy.

That''s not to say that I think Tiffany is bad/evil/the devil. If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would absolutely buy an idealscope and look at tons of Tiffany diamonds until I found "the one" and I would buy it (for the brand name). But since I have a limited budget, I would rather buy a "garunteed" beautiful (bigger) diamond than search long and hard for a smaller Tiffany that may or may not even be as beautiful as one from a vendor here (with an emphasis on size value, because I''m sure there are Tiffany diamonds out there that ARE just as breathtaking).

I can totally understand the brand name thing, though. I think there is definitely something to be said for brand name, and it is hard (if not impossible) to truly put a price on a brand name and it''s worth to the person buying/wearing the item. Whether or not it is important to you, or whether or not it makes the person who it is important to a terrible person really is irrelevant, because you are who you are and they are who they are, and maybe who they are means that a brand is very important to them, however silly/pretentious you may find it.

Sorry for rambling
24.gif

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 2:51:03 AM

dee

31.gif

I believe that after being educated that essentially, the diamonds are from the same source but priced differently because of the branding, and that for the same budget, you CAN get a bigger diamond with the same quality elsewhere, most ladies will choose a bigger diamond. It''s probably whether the guys get the chance to educate the ladies (to keep the element of surprise, for example).

Honestly, a bigger whiteflash stone or a smaller Cartier... I think you''d still have a solid split in preference. A 2ct ACA is around $22-24K (setting included), a 1.7ct Cartier ran about $25K. I don''t think too many women would pass on the Cartier. You have to think about the women who aren''t on pricescope remember...

Educating a woman about diamonds just isn''t enough sometimes. For 25 years (or however long your GF has been alive) they have heard the names T and Co, HW, Cartier. A little diamond talk might not be enough to undo that. These names are synonymous with quality to them...not HCA scores or idealscope imaages

Hi, I''m a woman in my mid-thirties and love jewelry and was glad to find pricescope and educated myself before making expensive purchases. There are many ladies who has educated themselves here on Pricescope and have shopped for the diamond together with their other half. From the increasing number of members posting on Ladies in Waiting forum, I can only guess that the number of ladies on Pricescope seeking education on diamonds are increasing. I recommended my female colleagues and friends to pricescope and the HCA and they were convinced too that indeed, one can get the same quality without the branding at a cheaper price. Just a little research goes a long way with our and our significant others'' pockets.

When someone look at our diamonds, especially when we have more than one piece of jewelry, they are unlikely to ask if it is a Tiffany. It is tacky for anyone wearing diamonds or their engagement ring, to announce to others that this is a Tiffany diamond. How is the conversation leading to Statement 1 suppose to start? Someone asks to see the ring and your lady announces that it is from Cartier/Tiffany/HW? Or do you make the announcement on her behalf? Or should your lady remove the ring and show her friends the T&Co stamp? Either way, it is tacky. So chances are, even if you own a diamond from Cartier/Tiffany/HW, only your lady and you know it. Whether that is worth the premium or not is a personal decision. I think a bigger diamond speaks for itself (again, talking about the same quality round diamonds here for discussion purposes). Have you tried educating your lady and then ask her whether Statement 3 or 4 is true?

I am not anti-Tiffany. I love Tiffany and I do purchase other jewelry from them, in fact, a lot of jewelry, for their design. I will purchase a Tiffany diamond only if I am purchasing the other cuts such as the Lucida or Novo. As for a generic round diamond, you CAN get the same quality at lower prices elsewhere.

And my hubby can attest to it, Statement 3 is true for me. I don''t even need an ACA, a 2.2 carat expert selection is good enough to compare with the cut found at Tiffany. When there is a budget, so I would choose a 2.2carat ES over a 1.7 carat Tiffany/HW/Cartier, anytime. If there is no budget, give me a D IF 10ct honker.

I don''t think you understand how small a sample size you''re thinking about here. Sure there may be increasing numbers of women on here or there may be increasing numbers of people who use diamond forums altogether.

BUT!!!

Think about how many people get engaged each year. I''m sure it dwarfs the number of people on this or all other forums. Thus you don''t really have this vast number of people who care about or know about cut quality etc. There''s a reason the first question a sales rep asks is, "are you familiar with the 4 C''s." It''s because most people are probably starting from this level of knowledge.

Also, are you seriously telling me that girls don''t ask to hear about an ER? Like where did he get it etc...

C''mon now. That''s a bit silly to say. It isn''t tacky, it''s a curiosity that people share and it''s something to talk about. Is it tacky for a girl to see the Tiffany classic 6 prong and say, "is that from Tiffany''s?" No, it''s only natural. What I think some people might find equally tacky to the things you discussed is if the girl answered, "no it''s not from T and Co -- it''s a replica (aka knock-off)"

Don''t you think people get these people getting replicas are inviting people to think the ring is from Tiffany''s?

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 2:35:13 AM
Date: 4/22/2008 2:23:59 AM

dee

well, i think to some extent you are missing the point, or perhaps im more inclined to see it from our local geographical perspective, see, you can have a diamond of any brand, cut, price, and so on, but ultimately in my view it is its visual performance that will give you appreciation from others.

prime example was the one i described at T&CO, the customer had no idea that my girls one was not a T&Co, yet she asked for that one from the sales assistant.

tell me what is the point of the ''Brand'' when evaluating a diamond? would you be prepared to pay a premium for your electricity if the monthly bills come leather bound with blue bow on them? the logic is the same.

dee,

Not missing the point at all. My point with the whole thread was only concerned with my situation and then I suppose this country.

Your bills analogy is apples to oranges. A utility is not a brand name. You need to consider what you''re buying -- a gift. If you compare it to something like buying a TV for someone you''d have a better analogy. In that case I''d say that you might buy someone a Sony even though an off brand is cheaper and got a slightly better review on cNet b/c the Sony is still pretty good and you know the person getting it will feel like it''s good. That''s the situation here.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *personally* agree and think it is tacky to ask someone if their ring/purse/shoes whatever, are from a luxury store. But I'm also not in a circle where material possessions are what we talk about all the time, nor is it important to have brand name things. Simply by asking IMO, you are implying that it might be fake. If you KNOW it is from Tiffany's (say it is a novo or a legacy), then why do you even need to ask?

If someone has something particularly beautiful like a purse that is unidentifiable, that I want to buy, I might ask them where they got it. But if I clearly can tell it is a brand name something, why ask? Seems silly to me.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/22/2008 9:55:11 AM
Author: neatfreak
I *personally* agree and think it is tacky to ask someone if their ring/purse/shoes whatever, are from a luxury store. But I''m also not in a circle where material possessions are what we talk about all the time, nor is it important to have brand name things. Simply by asking IMO, you are implying that it might be fake. If you KNOW it is from Tiffany''s (say it is a novo or a legacy), then why do you even need to ask?

If someone has something particularly beautiful like a purse that is unidentifiable, that I want to buy, I might ask them where they got it. But if I clearly can tell it is a brand name something, why ask? Seems silly to me.
Thats why (I think) it would be fun the own a genuine Tiffany classic 6 prong solitaire..., and most people would think (with out asking) its a replica from other Companies/vendors....
11.gif

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
I *personally* agree and think it is tacky to ask someone if their ring/purse/shoes whatever, are from a luxury store. But I''m also not in a circle where material possessions are what we talk about all the time, nor is it important to have brand name things. Simply by asking IMO, you are implying that it might be fake. If you KNOW it is from Tiffany''s (say it is a novo or a legacy), then why do you even need to ask?

I don''t think you''d be implying it''s fake. You''d see something recognizable and you''d ask in excitement to hear about it. I just think the circle of people you deal with is very important. I know my GF knows a Kate Spade or a Chloe bag when she sees one and so do her friends. Ditto for new shoes from nieman marcus/bloomies. If she saw one of her friends with one she might say something like how she loved that one but got a different one. Not saying perhaps, "is that Kate Spade" but the discussion would just assume it.

I do appreciate you saying "your" experience b/c you at least recognize as I do that people are all different. That''s why I stated earlier that this premium is only worth it if someone subjectively determines that it is to THEM. I think some people on here get overly defensive or get critical of people who are brand conscious.

I guess to some people knock-offs are a bit tacky. I''m not even saying that''s the case for my lady. I''m really up in the air right now about Cartier vs Leon + GOG. I''d say the Cartier is going to win but who knows...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 10:04:40 AM

I *personally* agree and think it is tacky to ask someone if their ring/purse/shoes whatever, are from a luxury store. But I'm also not in a circle where material possessions are what we talk about all the time, nor is it important to have brand name things. Simply by asking IMO, you are implying that it might be fake. If you KNOW it is from Tiffany's (say it is a novo or a legacy), then why do you even need to ask?

I don't think you'd be implying it's fake. You'd see something recognizable and you'd ask in excitement to hear about it. I just think the circle of people you deal with is very important. I know my GF knows a Kate Spade or a Chloe bag when she sees one and so do her friends. Ditto for new shoes from nieman marcus/bloomies. If she saw one of her friends with one she might say something like how she loved that one but got a different one. Not saying perhaps, 'is that Kate Spade' but the discussion would just assume it.

I do appreciate you saying 'your' experience b/c you at least recognize as I do that people are all different. That's why I stated earlier that this premium is only worth it if someone subjectively determines that it is to THEM. I think some people on here get overly defensive or get critical of people who are brand conscious.

I guess to some people knock-offs are a bit tacky. I'm not even saying that's the case for my lady. I'm really up in the air right now about Cartier vs Leon + GOG. I'd say the Cartier is going to win but who knows...

Mikey, you are a good guy and I can appreciate wanting to get the best value for your money. But it sure sounds like your girl is majorly brand conscious. ESPECIALLY if she is willing to buy knockoffs (IMO there is no one more brand conscious than those willing to buy branded knockoffs). So to me that screams BUY HER TIFFANYS OR CARTIER. I really really think she would be thrilled beyond belief to be able to say that her ring is from Tiffany's or Cartier.

And don't let people think there is something wrong with buying from these stores. There isn't if the premium is worth it for you guys, and it sounds like it is. So go for it! Their stuff is beautiful and classic.

Just my .02 though!

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 10:10:12 AM

I don''t think you''d be implying it''s fake. You''d see something recognizable and you''d ask in excitement to hear about it. I just think the circle of people you deal with is very important. I know my GF knows a Kate Spade or a Chloe bag when she sees one and so do her friends. Ditto for new shoes from nieman marcus/bloomies. If she saw one of her friends with one she might say something like how she loved that one but got a different one. Not saying perhaps, ''is that Kate Spade'' but the discussion would just assume it.

I do appreciate you saying ''your'' experience b/c you at least recognize as I do that people are all different. That''s why I stated earlier that this premium is only worth it if someone subjectively determines that it is to THEM. I think some people on here get overly defensive or get critical of people who are brand conscious.

I guess to some people knock-offs are a bit tacky. I''m not even saying that''s the case for my lady. I''m really up in the air right now about Cartier vs Leon + GOG. I''d say the Cartier is going to win but who knows...

Mikey, you are a good guy and I can appreciate wanting to get the best value for your money. But it sure sounds like your girl is majorly brand conscious. ESPECIALLY if she is willing to buy knockoffs (IMO there is no one more brand conscious than those willing to buy branded knockoffs). So to me that screams BUY HER TIFFANYS OR CARTIER. I really really think she would be thrilled beyond belief to be able to say that her ring is from Tiffany''s or Cartier.

And don''t let people think there is something wrong with buying from these stores. There isn''t if the premium is worth it for you guys, and it sounds like it is. So go for it! Their stuff is beautiful and classic.

Just my .02 though!

I think you''re right. Thanks for the encouragement. I just get frustrated with people who try to imply people who make this choice are in some way stupid or they''re a sucker (you certainly have NOT done this
1.gif
)

Thanks again!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Girls may feel the need to brag about name brands but I can assure you that Ladies do not.

I suppose it may be a question of maturity or simply good manners, but in my circle we admire, we do not discuss cost, store of purchase, or actual carat weight. It is tacky.

One assumes that the ring wearer has purchased quality. If not, your questions would be embarrassing and in poor taste. If the ring is quality, why ask about the obvious?

Sounds like your "girl" and her friends have some growing up to do.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

I don''t think you''d be implying it''s fake. You''d see something recognizable and you''d ask in excitement to hear about it. I just think the circle of people you deal with is very important. I know my GF knows a Kate Spade or a Chloe bag when she sees one and so do her friends. Ditto for new shoes from nieman marcus/bloomies. If she saw one of her friends with one she might say something like how she loved that one but got a different one. Not saying perhaps, ''is that Kate Spade'' but the discussion would just assume it.

I do appreciate you saying ''your'' experience b/c you at least recognize as I do that people are all different. That''s why I stated earlier that this premium is only worth it if someone subjectively determines that it is to THEM. I think some people on here get overly defensive or get critical of people who are brand conscious.

I don''t know... I''ve never asked someone where their engagement ring is from! Maybe it''s just the crowd I associate with then, who are not the flaunt-it types even though from fairly priviledged backgrounds. None of my friends has gone out of their way to tell people that their ring is from xyz either, except for one who is absolutely obnoxious about her Tiffany (a notorious name / price dropper!)

Anyway, I agree that your girlfriend requires a name ring. I think for many people, there is no reason to pay the premium. Clearly in your case you have a very valid reason to do so.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 10:22:35 AM
Author: purrfectpear
Girls may feel the need to brag about name brands but I can assure you that Ladies do not.

I suppose it may be a question of maturity or simply good manners, but in my circle we admire, we do not discuss cost, store of purchase, or actual carat weight. It is tacky.

One assumes that the ring wearer has purchased quality. If not, your questions would be embarrassing and in poor taste. If the ring is quality, why ask about the obvious?

Sounds like your ''girl'' and her friends have some growing up to do.

You don''t know me and you don''t know my girlfriend so you can take comments like this and go somewhere else. I never said she flaunts anything. What I said was that they compare bags they have and things like that.

Believe it or not, some people talk about things like that. In fact, there are entire forums dedicated to that as well.

Shame on you for passing judgment over an internet message board. Very ladylike... Just laughable.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 9:50:21 AM

Date: 4/22/2008 2:51:03 AM

dee

31.gif

I don''t think you understand how small a sample size you''re thinking about here. Sure there may be increasing numbers of women on here or there may be increasing numbers of people who use diamond forums altogether.

BUT!!!

Think about how many people get engaged each year. I''m sure it dwarfs the number of people on this or all other forums. Thus you don''t really have this vast number of people who care about or know about cut quality etc. There''s a reason the first question a sales rep asks is, ''are you familiar with the 4 C''s.'' It''s because most people are probably starting from this level of knowledge.

Also, are you seriously telling me that girls don''t ask to hear about an ER? Like where did he get it etc...

C''mon now. That''s a bit silly to say. It isn''t tacky, it''s a curiosity that people share and it''s something to talk about. Is it tacky for a girl to see the Tiffany classic 6 prong and say, ''is that from Tiffany''s?'' No, it''s only natural. What I think some people might find equally tacky to the things you discussed is if the girl answered, ''no it''s not from T and Co -- it''s a replica (aka knock-off)''

Don''t you think people get these people getting replicas are inviting people to think the ring is from Tiffany''s?

No, my plan was not to fool people with my upgrade into thinking yes, she has a tiffany setting, nor fool the SA at Tiffany''s into cleaning my e-ring at no charge.
31.gif

Plus, I don''t really need to, after all I have the real thing as my first ring came from Tiffany''s.
However, I''ve seen posts here of ppl asking for the best replica and what not, so my opinion is don''t even bother, if you want a tiff setting get it from it''s maker, period.
I actually wanted the ring to come out quite different but with the design elements I liked the most about the tiff 6 prong (tulip basket). My issue is with the workmanship all around.
Do you know what''s tacky in my opinion... Liking something because of where it comes from - not for what it is!

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 10:45:22 AM
Author: icekid

I don''t know... I''ve never asked someone where their engagement ring is from! Maybe it''s just the crowd I associate with then, who are not the flaunt-it types even though from fairly priviledged backgrounds. None of my friends has gone out of their way to tell people that their ring is from xyz either, except for one who is absolutely obnoxious about her Tiffany (a notorious name / price dropper!)

Anyway, I agree that your girlfriend requires a name ring. I think for many people, there is no reason to pay the premium. Clearly in your case you have a very valid reason to do so.

I really don''t think I appreciate your tone with this. Correct me if I''m wrong but it sounds like you''re portraying us as snobish and flaunty.

First off, my neither myself nor my GF come from privileged backgrounds. We''ve worked hard and have earned 3 doctorate degrees between us so now we can enjoy some finer things. Our friends have done similar things. Sooooo when someone in a circle like this sees a 6 prong setting that looks like a Tiffany setting they''d assume it was from Tiffanys and it might be embarrassing if it wasn''t. Even if the only time she might be asked is when she''s shopping at the store she might be embarrassed to have to admit it''s a knockoff. Some people might actually be proud of that -- some people not so much. That doesn''t mean they''re tacky or not ladylike.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Lesco,

My whole point is that to my GF (you know the one who''s opinion matters) Tiffany/Cartier IS QUALITY b/c of where it comes from. It''s one of those situations where perception becomes reality. She thinks, hell, millions of people think that these stores are quality.

They have never ever heard of GIA, AGS, H&A, and probably think any internet diamond is a fake. It''s not their fault -- it''s just their reality. It was my reality too until I found this discussion board. I bet it was everyone one here''s reality too b/f they started reading through this great forum.

She would never want something just b/c of where it comes from. That''s stupid, I agree. But if someone associates a brand with quality then to them if they buy from there, they are getting quality. I mean it''s really simple. You''d think by reading this that T and Co sells junk and nobody has any basis for being of the opinion that they stand for quality in a diamond.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock

I think a lot of this depends on where you are from and the societal pressures of owning certain brands. For some of us who grow up in small towns and states that don''t even HAVE a Tiffany & Co store, this really isn''t an issue. In my state, there isn''t a T&CO, or Cartier, or HW, or any bigger designer name than Coach, probably. I didn''t know what designers offered until I found the glorious internet.

If I had a Cartier ring, and told my friends and co-workers, some of them likely wouldn''t have a clue of what I was talking about.

IronMikey, I think you should go with the Cartier. She''ll be thrilled, and that''s what you are going for!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I havent personally ever shopped at T. or C. for diamond items, but thats because I was brought up to only buy wholesale!!!
2.gif

But, you only have to look at all the beautiful hard cover books that have been published about these jewelery houses to see the magnificent jewels that have come out over the years. The mind boggles when you see the custom things they have made over the years for royalty, and the rich and famous. It is almost heart stopping to see the beauty and superb design involved. So whether the cut is super excellent or not, these houses know their stuff. Their goods are definately in the top % of diamonds and for most humans thats more than enough. These designs are copied for a reason, they are beautiful. Remember you are not buying loose diamonds from T. or C. you are buying their designs. As much as some people are cut nuts, others are design nuts. In some ways the design of the ring is just as important as the diamond. A bad set of claws, and so so design really detract from the look of the ring.

Cost is subjective too. If you smoke, like I used to, thats thousands of dollars over every decade or even more. Do you go to restuarants, or eat at home because its cheaper etc. Everything is a choice, and we will all have different values that we place on different things. eg. I spends a fortune on going out for coffee even though I have a maqchine at home. And we are likely to change our views as we age and our circumstances change. Our opinions arent written in stone, so no need for us to disagree, we might be swapping sides in our lifetimes!. The value you put on money....its very subjective.eg I like to buy a car thats new, but financially I know it doesnt make sense. I know that when I drive it out, it immediately looses 20%. Someone else might rather buy a european car thats one year old?? It doesnt really matter as there is no right or wrong. Same with buying from a beautiful jewellery house that is perhaps more exciting or luxurious feeling. Perhaps, the internet dealers do better with the upgrades when most people cant afford the cost with a really big T. or C. but thats awhile away!

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Wow go to sleep for 7 hrs and all this!!!

OK, to those who are getting all caught up w/ customer service and how they felt in the store - it varies and some of the feelings sound like projections of internal issues - inferiority, awkwardness in such a store, etc. Not trying to "blame the victim" but come on.

This is busineses. Whatever they do or don''t say doesn''t matter if you are there to get the jewlery.

I have had snobbish SAs and very down to Earth ones and everything inbetween. I enjoy the cleanings and other aspects.

I experience the same variety of service at other places, independent jewlers and Cartier''s (very nice SA there in particular).

As to the brand name dropping - I find this a non-point. Who cares really? I can spot a real whatever......but no one has ever asked about my ring except BIL and he''s caught up in the status thing anyway. And like on PS I adore other''s rings for what they are never asking about brand.

Sometimes the woman offers where she got the ring or I''ll ask as part of the natural flow of conversation but it''s never a "I got mine here and you didn''t." I always see gorgeous rings everywhere.

Still waiting for T to respond to my email yesterday.

And Garry, where did diamond #3 come from?

Very enigmatic and difficult to interpret your ex.

Sure the table''s large and pav. a bit steep but so what?

How does the stone look, did you see an IS?

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 11:03:27 AM
Lesco,

My whole point is that to my GF (you know the one who''s opinion matters) Tiffany/Cartier IS QUALITY b/c of where it comes from. It''s one of those situations where perception becomes reality. She thinks, hell, millions of people think that these stores are quality.

They have never ever heard of GIA, AGS, H&A, and probably think any internet diamond is a fake. It''s not their fault -- it''s just their reality. It was my reality too until I found this discussion board. I bet it was everyone one here''s reality too b/f they started reading through this great forum.

She would never want something just b/c of where it comes from. That''s stupid, I agree. But if someone associates a brand with quality then to them if they buy from there, they are getting quality. I mean it''s really simple. You''d think by reading this that T and Co sells junk and nobody has any basis for being of the opinion that they stand for quality in a diamond.
IronMickey,

Then we are in agreement. I would never even imply that TC & Co sells junk, quite the opposite. Yes, they are overpriced but the quality of the "finished product", in my humble opinion, is excellent. I might not be the best judge, given my recent experience, I am aware. There are folks here that have the most amazing stones and settings that did not necessarily came from TC & Co, cartier e.t.c. so there is something to be said about that.
To the observer, a beautiful diamond is a beautiful diamond regardless of the specs or where u got it from. Period.
I would say get her what she really wants. You might end up a couple thousand over - so what? This is one of the most important purchases you will ever make. Again, to me piece of mind is "priceless".
Thank you for bringing forth a very honest and useful debate.

.dee

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 9:53:58 AM

dee,

Not missing the point at all. My point with the whole thread was only concerned with my situation and then I suppose this country.

Your bills analogy is apples to oranges. A utility is not a brand name. You need to consider what you're buying -- a gift. If you compare it to something like buying a TV for someone you'd have a better analogy. In that case I'd say that you might buy someone a Sony even though an off brand is cheaper and got a slightly better review on cNet b/c the Sony is still pretty good and you know the person getting it will feel like it's good. That's the situation here.

ok, look im going to have to break it down for you to into a more simplified version, my point with the energy is that the product, be it a utility a service or a good is not dependent of the brand, i.e. the electricity that one consumes is the same, regardless of the brand that it is marketed as.

As such the diamond that you are buying is the same!, whether its a T&Co stone, or something else. I have asked you to tell me what is your understanding of T&Co as a "Brand"???

is it synonymous with quality? well not true, as many have proven you can do much better buying elsewhere, so again what is it that you are paying a premium for? explain it to me logically?

I presume you are paying the premium for no other reason then to have the ability to claim that your end product, (the diamond) is of a particular brand that would lead the uneducated to falsely assume that your product (the diamond) is of a superior quality to the others.

There is perhaps another reason to this whole debate, and that would be your gf's desire to have something of a particular brand and so on... that is a personal matter, however dont be surprised that many dont agree with it, and find it quite humorous.

On another note, telling people off for THEIR own opinions when you requested them by making this thread is somewhat immature.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 12:26:53 PM

Date: 4/22/2008 9:53:58 AM

dee,

Your bills analogy is apples to oranges. A utility is not a brand name. You need to consider what you''re buying -- a gift. If you compare it to something like buying a TV for someone you''d have a better analogy. In that case I''d say that you might buy someone a Sony even though an off brand is cheaper and got a slightly better review on cNet b/c the Sony is still pretty good and you know the person getting it will feel like it''s good. That''s the situation here.

ok, look im going to have to break it down for you to into a more simplified version, my point with the energy is that the product, be it a utility a service or a good is not dependent of the brand, i.e. the electricity that one consumes is the same, regardless of the brand that it is marketed as.

As such the diamond that you are buying is the same!, whether its a T&Co stone, or something else. I have asked you to tell me what is your understanding of T&Co as a ''Brand''???

is it synonymous with quality? well not true, as many have proven you can do much better buying elsewhere, so again what is it that you are paying a premium for? explain it to me logically?

I presume you are paying the premium for no other reason then to have the ability to claim that your end product, (the diamond) is of a particular brand that would lead the uneducated to falsely assume that your product (the diamond) is of a superior quality to the others.

There is perhaps another reason to this whole debate, and that would be your gf''s desire to have something of a particular brand and so on... that is a personal matter, however dont be surprised that many dont agree with it, and find it quite humorous.

On another note, telling people off for THEIR own opinions when you requested them by making this thread is somewhat immature.

It''s all fun & games until someone loses an eye.
emwink.gif

Let''s play nice.

.dee I think you are missing the point - it''s not JUST about the DIAMOND.

Read Lesco''s posts.

I don''t think IM is debating diamonds over diamonds.

Every post is an opinion so I guess we''re all immature.
25.gif

Now asserting a value judgement onto someone you don''t know is immature.

Muss

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 10:13:45 AM

I think you''re right. Thanks for the encouragement. I just get frustrated with people who try to imply people who make this choice are in some way stupid or they''re a sucker (you certainly have NOT done this
1.gif
)

Thanks again!
I think it is fair to say that GENERALLY speaking, and I can''t stress the ''generally'' enough, that many people shopping at the above mentioned stores are suckered to some extent. We have been programed to belive that BMW is better than Ford, Coke is better than Sams Choice and Tiff is better than Kay.

Tiff will probably give you the best if the best when talking about chain stores, but as this forum shows, chain stores are a subpar way to purchase diamonds.

Now, with all that being said, you clearly are not a "sucker" "stupid" or any other negative word. You are in love, dedicated and willing to do what is needed to make your woman happy.

Reading over these posts it seems to me that you are a locgically guy with good money sense, so I am willing to bed you would rather buy online and get the most band for your buck. But, your girl will go nuts for a Tiff ring and your emotional side wants to give that to her. So do it!

Everyday men do things we normally wouldn''t do simply because it makes the woman in our life happy. If more people acted like this we would all be better off.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results