color
clarity

Is this stone too large?!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kribbie|1305121650|2918428 said:
WOW!!!! That is a gorgeous stone! It looks great on you! :love:

Thank you, kribbie! Now that I've gotten over the size issue, I'm really enjoying it!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
geisha_gyrl|1305126294|2918501 said:
LOL@ too large!!! Is there such a thing? It's beautiful!
:lol: Yes, I can appreciate that! Thank you for the compliment!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1305127314|2918515 said:
Too large? Are you kidding? It's not too large unless you need a sling to help support the weight on your hand...and even then, there are exceptions. :lol:

Seriously, this is just phenomenally gorgeous, baby nurse. It looks perfect on your hand, and I can't wait to see how you set it! Congratulations!

You crack me up, Aoife! You know, I have some pretty large colored stones that I wouldn't think twice about wearing but somehow it's a completely different ball game with a diamond :confused: ! Anyway, I've gotten over that anxiety and I'm just delighted with the stone :appl: .
Thank you for the compliment!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovinggems|1304936416|2916079 said:
Not at all, it suits your hand perfectly. :appl:

Thank you for your kind words, Lovinggems :wavey: !

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1304936892|2916082 said:
Lol, never too large on PS! It is a gorgeous stone. What about the Vatche Swan setting, I think it is beautiful?

You're right, I've discovered nothing is too large on PS! And I do really like the Vatche Swan, there are actually a few Vatche settings that I think are beautiful-- choosing the setting may be a toughie!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1304942365|2916101 said:
Well, I'm a size 4.25 too, so if you ever DO think it's too large, I'd gladly take it off your hands! :mrgreen: It's gorgeous!!!
:lol: I will keep that in mind, Lil Misfit! Thank you for the compliment!

Your asscher setting from BGD is absolutely gorgeous-- it's the nicest setting I've seen from them. How wonderful to have gotten such a beautiful ring after having such a disappointing experience with your other jeweler (hope I have those facts straight!)!

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
I don't think this title should exist!!! Too LArge??? It's wonderful.
How does an L look so amazingly white in photo's??? I'm don't think I'm a warm colored ston ein real life, but I love all these warm stones here. Can someone explain this to me? Love your stone.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose-E|1305135906|2918727 said:
I don't think this title should exist!!! Too LArge??? It's wonderful.
How does an L look so amazingly white in photo's??? I'm don't think I'm a warm colored ston ein real life, but I love all these warm stones here. Can someone explain this to me? Love your stone.

Thank you, Rose-E!

I haven't looked at enough diamonds to be able to explain why an L colored diamond would look so white; hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. I can say that it's quite white face up, but there's definitely a warmer (faint yellow) tint when viewing it from the side. And I think this is probably more apparent in a larger stone, as well. If you compare it side by side with a higher colored diamond (I compared it with an E), it does look warmer face up. But on its own, it generally looks white.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stci|1304945678|2916126 said:
Yes it's too large....!!!!

Ho no... wait... it's because I'm jealous I said that! HIhihi!

This diamond fit you like a queen Sweety! Absolutely gorgeous! :love: :appl:

Thank you stci! Such a nice thing to say :)) .

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Did I sound like I wasn't supporting her? I AM supporting her and I am really sorry that that was not clear. I think she should keep it. I often figure out what I really want in a situation by who I ask about it, becuase I pretty well know the answer that I am going to get from them. I was just expressing that to me, it was a sign that she really wants this stone from the fact that she asked a diamond group about it, rather than say, a group of blood diamond movie fans, and that therefore she should definitely keep it AND, as I said, ENJOY it.

I think she should keep it even more now that I have read what Diamondseeker had to say about it, and also a couple of other people who 'don't fit in' with their group but love their diamonds anyway. I understand why you want to fit in with a group, but being over 50 now, I've really started to think that that cna't be your criteria the way it tends to be when you are young. Sometimes youhave do to something just because you enjoy it. Her husband is on board here, the stone is gorgeous, and clearly she minimized the cost of the stone by going to that low (but beautiful) color and the old cut. This probably is a once in a lifetime opportunity. She doesn't have to explain it to her friends. When I got a big, low color diamond recently very cheaply, I decided to say to my friends, if they asked, hey, I got a really good deal (true), and put it on layaway for a year (true) and all kinds of other 'excuses' but in actual fact, I haven't had to use any of those excuses, or say anything, they all just said, wow, how pretty, how lucky, (which is what true friends do) and now have forgotten all about it(since they are not diamond obsessed).

roppongi|1305045555|2917434 said:
Baby Nurse...I LOVE IT! I think it is an incredible stone that will make an heirloom piece that you can pass down for generations to come. Is it too big? Nahhh, you will get used to it very quickly. You have heard about DSS, well unfortunately it's true, just ask anyone here who has upgraded. This stone needs to be put into an antiquey setting to show off the cut, color and facets. Don't worry about what your circle of friends think or your co-workers....wear it proudly.

Black Jade...I found your comment to be somewhat off. This, after all is a luxury board where we can come and shamelessly brag (as SMTB states) about our blingy finds whether is costs $5.00 or $50,000. Baby Nurse was right to come here and ask her question...this is a huge purchase for her and I think we should support her.

xo

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
confusedaisy|1304948532|2916158 said:
When I read the title of this post I thought it was a joke. Too large?? Is there such a thing?? HAHAHA! :lol:

I think it is a gorgeous stone and looks really great on your hand! Go for it!!

Ha! I probably would have thought it was a joke, too!

Thank you for the compliments!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1304949908|2916176 said:
Oh, my, yes. I used to think it was too large on GOG's website when I looked at it. Twice a day.

I totally think you should return it.

So I can buy it.

Kidding! It's fantastically gorgeous, and in the right setting (another vote for the MM!), I think it will look stunning on you. And, I most sincerely hope you will post many, many, many pics so I can live vicariously .... :devil:

This really cracked me up!!

Thank you for the compliments. I must admit, the MM in rose gold (is that even a possiblity :shock: ?) would be my number 1 choice. I may try to pursue that...

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Well I am on the same wagon as many of the posters in this thread... it is indeed NOT too large... that stone is stunning and I am really looking forward to seeing how you set it... its going to be fabulous on you!!!!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Psst BN..I'm whispering real quiet so as not to interrupt your thread too much..I posted a thread of my new chryso ring in CS.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1305163637|2919240 said:
Psst BN..I'm whispering real quiet so as not to interrupt your thread too much..I posted a thread of my new chryso ring in CS.

You are so sweet! I spotted it a little while ago but it was time to put the kiddos to bed, so no time to comment. It's fabulous :love: :love: !

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1305077662|2918004 said:
DS I hope you know that by referencing the similar sizes of our stones I was in no way trying to say that my opinion is more valid that yours or there is something wrong with your POV. I suspect in fact that you are a much more sensitive and socially aware person than I, and so if anything your opinion on this is probably better than mine! :))

But I do agree babynurse should not listen to us in the peanut gallery. It is easy to urge someone else on in something when one has no personal experience. I certainly have never owned or worn a 3.5ct diamond!

But I would sure like to :Up_to_something: At least to wear around the house.

Oh, Dreamer! I did not for a second think a thing about your comment that followed mine!!! I thought it was valuable for some of us to give our feelings about having stones at least a little larger than those around us just so she would think it through carefully. My second explanation was really prompted by posts other than yours. :))

And :lol: about having the 3 ct. diamond to wear around the house! Sounds fabulous to me! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby nurse|1305122676|2918446 said:
diamondseeker2006|1305076939|2917990 said:
Well, you are getting a rare and wonderful stone, and we are going to need a LOT of pictures from every angle once you get that beauty set!!! :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thank you, diamondseeker! Yes, you would know first hand just how beautiful these stones are. I think somehow GOG's images capture the beauty of the cushions a little better than that of the OECs. The vimeo videos are a tremendous help, but there's nothing like seeing these rounds in person. The chunky facets reflect such beautiful pastels and the pattern itself is so flower-like. They're gorgeous! I wish I'd known about these when I was first engaged (waay back in 2000!).

I will definitely share an abundance of pictures!

I'd like to add that I think your set is beautiful! Your Leon engagement ring setting is just lovely, and combined with your (Tiffany?) wedding band... it's just the look I'd like to achieve!

You are such a sweetheart! I appreciate that you understood my intent was to help you think it through and not to discourage you! Thanks for the compliments on my rings! (Yes, it is the Legacy wedding band). I have been so happy with them! But I wish these AV stones had been around 5 years ago, too!!! :)) Jon was brilliant to do it!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm late to this thread, but WOW!! Not too large at all and very very beautiful!! :love: :love:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
poshpepper|1305154070|2919075 said:
Well I am on the same wagon as many of the posters in this thread... it is indeed NOT too large... that stone is stunning and I am really looking forward to seeing how you set it... its going to be fabulous on you!!!!!!

Thank you, poshpepper! I don't think it's too big anymore, either. Having had more time to consider it and reading everyone's opinion really helped in that respect. Still not 100% certain how I'll set it, but it won't take terribly long-- I want to wear this baby!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1305176713|2919449 said:
I'm late to this thread, but WOW!! Not too large at all and very very beautiful!! :love: :love:

Thanks very much, Phoenix! I'm delighted with it, as well :appl: !

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cachette|1304951522|2916194 said:
Stunning stone! No worries about the size - it's perfect! :love:

Looking forward to seeing it set!

Cachette :))

Thank you, Cachette! I will post lots of pictures once it's set!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elisateach|1304952132|2916200 said:
Holy Moley, too large for what???? I really think that is so pretty on your hand. I too have been looking at that stone, and all the other beautiful AVC's for months now. It is so white against your hand. It is nice to see the stones "in real life" I think a simple setting set low would be perfect. Now go and and get her set so we can all be jealous! :naughty:

Thanks, Elisateach! I know what you mean about eyeing those AVCs and AV OECs. I did that for months, too, and still am :loopy: !

I'm "hoping" to have it set within the next couple of months. I'm in a hurry to wear it!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sizzle|1304962522|2916403 said:
baby nurse|1304950476|2916185 said:
I'm trying to respond to everyone's comments, and each time I do, I discover someone else has given their 2 cents! Thank you everyone! I don't know anybody with a stone this size and to be perfectly honest, I feel a bit shy about wearing this in public. I know, I'll get over it :lol: ! When my husband first saw it, he said "That thing is huge, is there a setting you can get that will make it look smaller?"

So, a great big thank you for all the enthusiasm!

I don't have a concept of too large or setting it so the stone looks smaller. My 3 carat princess is halo'd generously and I can only DREAM of the extra Fabulosity of a finger soo small. Lucky lucky girl!

Thank you, Sizzle!

I remember your ring-- it's gorgeous! I would love to see more hand shots :naughty: !

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bella_mezzo|1304968460|2916491 said:
I don't typically care for large round diamonds (cushions and step cuts are another story :love: :Up_to_something: ) but I LOVE this diamond and think it looks GORGEOUS on your hand.

I third (fourth) whatever, the MM but would also suggest the JBeG Sophie: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Sophie-Solitaire/12794511_dg9wL#792954190_YJGXU
:love: :lickout: . (and the sophie has a very reasonable price tag IMO!)

If you are looking for a less expensive setting I would do one of the following, set as low as possible):

Vatche Swan: http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Diamond-Accent-Engagement-Rings-12/Designs-By-Vatche-Swan-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-191-1558.html

the x-prong: http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Solitaire-Diamond-Engagement-Rings-11/Designs-by-Vatche-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-100-631.html

Or the BGD xprong or grace (which I :love: :love: :love: )

Thank you, Bella mezzo! You know, I prefer a fancy cut to a large round, also, but these OEC cuts are in a class by themselves. I had some concerns about the stone when I first started this thread but I'm completely at peace with it now :sun: .

My favorite of the settings is the MM one, but I wonder how comfortable it would be? While I love the look, the shanks seem pretty wide... of course I could ask for it to be made smaller. Something to think about anyway.

I do also love the detail on the Sophie, and the Vatche x-prong would keep it nice and low.

I love the BGD Grace but maybe it doesn't have enough of a vintage feel? The prongs are amazing, love the ring's sleek lines, the metal choices, and the price is great!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T|1304976045|2916660 said:
I think it is gorgeous!!!! NOT big at all :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: wrong crowd to ask...lol

Thanks, D&T! Nope, I've gotten over the whole "is it too big?" issue! Now I'm just looking forward to choosing a setting and wearing it :appl: :appl: !

It's funny, I realize now that most PSrs enjoy a large stone, but when I started the thread I really thought more people would say "No, way too big."

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have never heard of a stone being too large!! There is women that will kill to have a stone of the size so I believe that you should be a very happy lady!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CravingDiamonds|1305229296|2919931 said:
I have never heard of a stone being too large!! There is women that will kill to have a stone of the size so I believe that you should be a very happy lady!

You're absolutely right, CravingDiamonds. I was initially self conscious about the size but I'm very happy with it now!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TDF! That's all I can say! I haven't read the whole post, so this may have been mentioned....

I may be the lone voice of dissension. Do I think it looks too big on your hand? No. However, it's what you think that matters and how comfortable you will be wearing that sized stone around your town/circle of friends. I just put my 3.5 ct cushion ring up for consignment because it was sitting in my jewelry box more than I was wearing it because I wasn't comfortable with that sized stone (the ering totaled over 5ct) to the grocery store and the kids activities, etc. However, as long as YOU are comfortable and will be thrilled to wear it, that's all that matters.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
baby nurse, I just edited my post because I was debating about telling you how I felt about my large ering. I'd hate for you to be in my shoes in a few months, so I decided to be honest with you. However, if I had felt comfortable with my ring, I'd have kept it for sure.... :knockout:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1305230839|2919969 said:
baby nurse, I just edited my post because I was debating about telling you how I felt about my large ering. I'd hate for you to be in my shoes in a few months, so I decided to be honest with you. However, if I had felt comfortable with my ring, I'd have kept it for sure.... :knockout:

Yennyfire, I appreciate your honesty . It's nice to hear people say "Yay, go for it!", but I really was looking for people to tell me just how they felt. I don't know anyone who has a diamond larger than 1.5 to 2 carats, so there's really nobody for me to ask other than the people on this forum.
I'm happy to be keeping the diamond and look forward to wearing it. I hope it won't become impractical down the road (this was my big worry), but I don't think it will. Just the same, it's still good to hear both sides of the coin. Thank you :)) !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results