carat
color
clarity

Is this stone too large?!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1305230388|2919959 said:
TDF! That's all I can say! I haven't read the whole post, so this may have been mentioned....

I may be the lone voice of dissension. Do I think it looks too big on your hand? No. However, it's what you think that matters and how comfortable you will be wearing that sized stone around your town/circle of friends. I just put my 3.5 ct cushion ring up for consignment because it was sitting in my jewelry box more than I was wearing it because I wasn't comfortable with that sized stone (the ering totaled over 5ct) to the grocery store and the kids activities, etc. However, as long as YOU are comfortable and will be thrilled to wear it, that's all that matters.

Don't feel bad, Yenny! You weren't the only one. ;)) Thankfully she is certain that she is comfortable with the size and we'll get to see it again in it's new setting!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
babynurse, I'm so glad that you responded and that you weren't offended by what I said. I just wanted to voice the flip side so you could consider it. I'm so happy that you're in love with the stone and plan to keep it. It is truly breathtaking!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
So glad you're keeping that beauty! I can't wait to see how you set it! :appl:

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock
Too large? What does that mean? lol

I think it looks wonderful!

pixies

Shiny_Rock
Nope :naughty: !

I seriously covet your jewelry collection. You have so many amazing pieces. I think a beautiful piece is a beautiful piece, big or small. I'm still dying over your James Meyer ring.

I can't wait to see how you set this stunning stone.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1305284432|2920541 said:
babynurse, I'm so glad that you responded and that you weren't offended by what I said. I just wanted to voice the flip side so you could consider it. I'm so happy that you're in love with the stone and plan to keep it. It is truly breathtaking!

No worries, yennyfire :wavey: ! I really do appreciate you sharing your point of view.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1305288194|2920557 said:
So glad you're keeping that beauty! I can't wait to see how you set it! :appl:

Thanks, thing2of2 (love that name, btw, my kids watch The Cat in the Hat every day!)! I'm super excited about this stone-- I really stressed over the decision.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly_Not_Gaudy|1305299977|2920728 said:
Too large? What does that mean? lol

I think it looks wonderful!

Thank you for the kind words, Sparkly Not Gaudy :)) !

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pixies|1305303615|2920797 said:
Nope :naughty: !

I seriously covet your jewelry collection. You have so many amazing pieces. I think a beautiful piece is a beautiful piece, big or small. I'm still dying over your James Meyer ring.

I can't wait to see how you set this stunning stone.

Aww, thanks, pixies! I think we share the same taste in jewelry because I love your collection (I think our finger size is awfully close, too :naughty: ).

I have to make an effort to photograph that JM ring and start a thread on it here. I've been meaning to forever. It's my favorite ring and I wear it every day.

I'm hoping to have this stone set sometime this summer. I'm looking forward to wearing it!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
anitabee|1304986165|2916820 said:
well, since you're asking (i guess i'm the only one!), it's definitely too large for my liking. just me, though. i, personally, wouldn't want to wear something so huge. i wouldn't want to attract all the attention that a ring like that would probably draw.

at the end of the day, however, it's all about how YOU feel about it. nothing to do with me or her or him.

it's a beautiful stone!

Thank you for sharing anitabee-- I don't mind a difference of opinion at all. I think wearing this ring everywhere may initially take some getting used to, but I think I will get used to it. I'm definitely excited about choosing a setting and being able to finally get it on my hand :)) !

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1304989546|2916885 said:
anitabee|1304986165|2916820 said:
well, since you're asking (i guess i'm the only one!), it's definitely too large for my liking. just me, though. i, personally, wouldn't want to wear something so huge. i wouldn't want to attract all the attention that a ring like that would probably draw.

at the end of the day, however, it's all about how YOU feel about it. nothing to do with me or her or him.

it's a beautiful stone!

Yes, it is incredible! I would only be worried that people might assume a stone that huge would be fake. Otherwise, I'd wear it and rock it! :appl:

That's true, there will probably be people who wonder if the stone is fake. I tend to be a worrier, but I won't worry about that :lol: !

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1305008192|2917111 said:
too large?...aren't you asking the wrong crowd?... :Up_to_something:

Yes, you're probably right!

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
This thread has been very helpful to me in considering my own large stone purchase. Baby Nurse, enjoy your diamond! It looks great, and your enthusiasm for it is contagious. :D :appl:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies Nana|1305337837|2921363 said:
This thread has been very helpful to me in considering my own large stone purchase. Baby Nurse, enjoy your diamond! It looks great, and your enthusiasm for it is contagious. :D :appl:

Thank you, Owies Nana! I'm glad it's been a help!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marquiseluv|1305012877|2917127 said:
Too large? no...... In a few weeks it will shrink and look just right...

I am not kidding... All my diamonds have shrunk after a few weeks. There really is no such thing as too large when it comes to diamonds IMO.

Of course at a certain size, say 15 carats IMO they are better as a necklace, but they can never really be too large. :o

It is beautiful, and in no way is it disproportionate for your hands. :appl: enjoy your new ring!

I was really relieved when I read this post, Marquiseluv. I loved the diamond, wanted badly to keep it, but was really worried I'd never get used to its size. I wear a large morganite ring that I initially thought was pretty big, but I got used to it and figured the same would apply to this diamond.

Thank you for the kind words!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black Jade|1305027763|2917200 said:
I think the fact you asked Pricescope members means you like and want to keep it.
If you wanted to hear it was too large, you would have asked a different set of people.
If you like it and you can afford it and your husband is fine with it, just ENJOY it. If someone else thinks its too large, they don't have to buy one for themselves, now,do they.

Thank you for your kind words, Black Jade! You make some very good points :)) .

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sheherizaad|1305041291|2917372 said:
I can also understand what Diamond Seeker means when she talks about the circle. My ring is large by most people's standards, but 1) no one in my personal circle are even remotely close and 2) it fits in my work circle. On my hands it appears EVEN larger (I wear a 5.5 which is by no means tiny) but my OVERALL hand size is pretty child-like..lol. And there are lots of times I feel self-conscious even though I absolutely ADORE my ring. Comments like "WHOA- that is a HUGE rock!" or "WHOA- he must really love you!" etc make me feel "bad" somehow and subconsciously I withdraw my hand and try to downplay the ring. I don't know.. maybe it's just me or maybe I just need time to learn how to handle such situations gracefully. :roll:

Thanks for sharing, Sheherizaad. Your ring is gorgeous! It's strange how people can equate stone size with a fiance/husband's love. I'm sure I will hear something similar :rolleyes: .
I'm also the type of person who can feel a bit intimidated by remarks like this, but I love this stone and I won't be feeling any negative vibes when I wear it :wink2: .

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411|1305042442|2917389 said:
It's not too big. If you don't keep it I might cry, b/c it's gorgeous, and you seem to love it.

Not to worry-- I'm keeping it!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
roppongi|1305045555|2917434 said:
Baby Nurse...I LOVE IT! I think it is an incredible stone that will make an heirloom piece that you can pass down for generations to come. Is it too big? Nahhh, you will get used to it very quickly. You have heard about DSS, well unfortunately it's true, just ask anyone here who has upgraded. This stone needs to be put into an antiquey setting to show off the cut, color and facets. Don't worry about what your circle of friends think or your co-workers....wear it proudly.

Black Jade...I found your comment to be somewhat off. This, after all is a luxury board where we can come and shamelessly brag (as SMTB states) about our blingy finds whether is costs $5.00 or $50,000. Baby Nurse was right to come here and ask her question...this is a huge purchase for her and I think we should support her.

xo

Thank you for your kind words, roppongi! I will definitely wear it with pride!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1305051933|2917554 said:
Bella_mezzo|1304968460|2916491 said:
I don't typically care for large round diamonds (cushions and step cuts are another story :love: :Up_to_something: ) but I LOVE this diamond and think it looks GORGEOUS on your hand.

I third (fourth) whatever, the MM but would also suggest the JBeG Sophie: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Sophie-Solitaire/12794511_dg9wL#792954190_YJGXU
:love: :lickout: . (and the sophie has a very reasonable price tag IMO!)

If you are looking for a less expensive setting I would do one of the following, set as low as possible):

Vatche Swan: http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Diamond-Accent-Engagement-Rings-12/Designs-By-Vatche-Swan-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-191-1558.html

the x-prong: http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Solitaire-Diamond-Engagement-Rings-11/Designs-by-Vatche-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-100-631.html

Or the BGD xprong or grace (which I :love: :love: :love: )

Bella_mezzo, you have fantastic taste :wink2: These are all my favorite solitaire settings, and I also love the Vatche royal crown. I think this beautiful AVR would look perfect in the Sophie setting! Can't wait to see what you do with it baby nurse!!

Thanks for the enthusiasm, stargurl!

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
baby nurse, just reading thru this thread and wondering if you had posted pics of your ring? I couldn't seem to find any but would love to see it. TIA :wavey: :appl:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Taylorbug :wavey:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have not set it yet. Initially it was for financial reasons but for the last 6 months, I just can't make up my mind :errrr: . I can say that it will either be the Vatche Tiffany repro that DS recently got, MWM Flame, or the JbEG Sophie.

What do you think?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
baby nurse said:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have not set it yet. Initially it was for financial reasons but for the last 6 months, I just can't make up my mind :errrr: . I can say that it will either be the Vatche Tiffany repro that DS recently got, MWM Flame, or the JbEG Sophie.

What do you think?

I think any of those settings would be beautiful but if you want the JbEG Sophie, you should order soon because I read in a recent thread that they are going to stop making settings in the very near future.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my setting for a round brilliant, but I would SO get the JBEG Sophie for your stone! :love: :love: :love: I wish I could have one of those, too!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1332960496|3158342 said:
baby nurse said:

What do you think?

I think any of those settings would be beautiful but if you want the JbEG Sophie, you should order soon because I read in a recent thread that they are going to stop making settings in the very near future.

Yes, I think the cutoff for placing an order is end of May, so I do have to make a decision soon.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1332960759|3158345 said:
I love my setting for a round brilliant, but I would SO get the JBEG Sophie for your stone! :love: :love: :love: I wish I could have one of those, too!

The Sophie is very beautiful. I'd like to get a wedding band similar to yours or something from Van Craeynest and I'm concerned that it would rub against that fleur de lys detail on the Sophie head. It seems as though the stone is set low... I'm not sure if that makes sense to you. In any case, I suppose a spacer would solve the problem. It doesn't seem as though that would be as much of an issue with a setting like your Vatche...

Also, would six prongs not protect the girdle from damage more than four?

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Have you made a decision on your setting yet? :) I am excited to see your gorgeous stone set!

chloecro

Rough_Rock
Too large? :lol:

It's gorgeous and looks great on your hand. You lucky woman! Enjoy it. It's really beautiful.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby nurse|1332964205|3158414 said:
diamondseeker2006|1332960759|3158345 said:

The Sophie is very beautiful. I'd like to get a wedding band similar to yours or something from Van Craeynest and I'm concerned that it would rub against that fleur de lys detail on the Sophie head. It seems as though the stone is set low... I'm not sure if that makes sense to you. In any case, I suppose a spacer would solve the problem. It doesn't seem as though that would be as much of an issue with a setting like your Vatche...

Also, would six prongs not protect the girdle from damage more than four?

So sorry I didn't see your last post! Yes, the Sophie head may be a little lower than the Vatche U-113. In fact, that was a major reason that BlueIris had her stone reset from a BG Grace setting into the Vatche.

Having had both 4 and 6 prongs, I will have to say that certainly 6 prongs will offer more girdle protection than 4, so I can see the advantage of having 6 prongs as well. You are wise to really think this through!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results