shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good Radiant Cut Diamond ??? PLEASE HELPPPPP

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Yea Gypsy,

not sure why. But I've attached a screen shot for your to view. I just stop the video to take the picture so the diamond is not perfectly positioned, ie a bit tilted.
1_63.png 2_33.png

Also I've asked them to make the shank width 2mm and the shank height / depth is recommended to be 1.8mm. Should I change any of the figure?

They told me bright cut pave needs 0.7mm clearance -> 2mm shank width would mean the side diamonds will be 1.3mm. They said they can make the clearance less, but it would compromise with how secured these diamonds are set.

P/S: I swear the first thing I do once i've done with my proposal is to bring the ring into the big T. I swear the specs of their diamonds just can't be as good as mine, but their lights make them look so fabulous.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justin, the stone is fine. It is not showing leakage. Nothing to worry about regarding the diamond.

I think that sounds reasonable about the stone size in the shank. I'd want a little protection for the stones. That is just a third of a mm above and below the pave stones.

But wait, why are you going with bright cut pave when you found out she wanted the other kind????

If you go with the Jocelyn and bright cut, I would absolutely do milgrain. It has it on the basket, too. It will not look nearly as good without the milgrain. But if she likes a setting like the Harmony, you are going in the wrong direction.

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1469506896|4059347 said:
Justin, the stone is fine. It is not showing leakage. Nothing to worry about regarding the diamond.

I think that sounds reasonable about the stone size in the shank. I'd want a little protection for the stones. That is just a third of a mm above and below the pave stones.

But wait, why are you going with bright cut pave when you found out she wanted the other kind????

If you go with the Jocelyn and bright cut, I would absolutely do milgrain. It has it on the basket, too. It will not look nearly as good without the milgrain. But if she likes a setting like the Harmony, you are going in the wrong direction.

Haha, thanks for your reply. it comforts me so well.

my jeweler does not have a nice U cut / fishtail pave. They just look ugly. My gf wants diamond on the side. So I have some room to pick. She also worries about snaggy issue so I think bright cut pave would definitely help. I'm going single prongs which is what she wants and asked them to minimise the prong size to the thinnest possible. and yes, I've asked them to do milgrain too :). I think the price is also reasonable for a full platinum, although they don't have 95%P 5% rhodium or 90% P 10% iridium. the only combo they have is 95% P 5% palladium (which probably explains why it is cheaper). Still, can't have everything right :)

This is what a typical pave that my jeweler does, notice how they have a small gap from the milgrain.
pave_de.png

compare to Victor Canera where virtually I can't see any gap at all (which I really like) - yet the jeweler insist to combine what they think is secured for the diamonds and my desire to minimise the gap.

It's funny, because 2 same design under two different executions result in a totally different outcomes. dsc_0148.jpg

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

The CAD images are finally here. Could you please have a look and let me know if they're ok, or if not, what needs to be changed / alter and how?

justin_vu-sid-rb-6_4.jpg justin_vu-sid-rb-6_3.jpg justin_vu-sid-rb-6_2.jpg justin_vu-sid-rb-6_1.jpg justin_vu-sid-rb-6_0.jpg justin_vu-sid-rb-6.jpg

They said the computer generated images are a 3D design of the ring on a much larger scale then what the final jewellery piece will be. I'm a bit concerned about the milgrain being too thick though not sure if they will be that visible in the final product.

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1469506896|4059347 said:

I think she'd love to have diamonds on the side but wouldn't mind how they are set. given that bead/bright cut set gives more protection, I can definitely talk her through if she's in doubt.

just a bit nervous with the milgrain being slightly overwhelmed, though the jeweler's been telling me many times that the CAD images always make the product appear bulkier than it should. So yea...just gotta make a call.

Do you think the design needs anything to be changed / altered ?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Justin,

I would caution you about how to wear a wedding band with this ring. I ended up wearing one right up against the prongs, which rubbed against the millgrain. Victor set the melee deep enough that the band was not rubbing against the diamonds in the prongs. Even a notched band does not stay in place, unless you size it really tightly.

I was ok with the rubbing. But if I had to do it over, I would have had a donut with no diamonds on it, so I could wear a band next to it and it won't rub against any diamonds or millgrain.

After wearing a much lower set ring now, I know I prefer a lower set stone. Victor sets at a mid-height, but I think on my Jocelyn, it was lower than where your stone sits in these CADs. Yep, I just checked my pics and the stone was definitely set lower.

In your CAD, I would ask that the stone be set lower, which would mean shortening all the prongs, and other proportional changes.

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom|1470719073|4063764 said:
Hi Justin,

I would caution you about how to wear a wedding band with this ring. I ended up wearing one right up against the prongs, which rubbed against the millgrain. Victor set the melee deep enough that the band was not rubbing against the diamonds in the prongs. Even a notched band does not stay in place, unless you size it really tightly.

I was ok with the rubbing. But if I had to do it over, I would have had a donut with no diamonds on it, so I could wear a band next to it and it won't rub against any diamonds or millgrain.

After wearing a much lower set ring now, I know I prefer a lower set stone. Victor sets at a mid-height, but I think on my Jocelyn, it was lower than where your stone sits in these CADs.

In your CAD, I would ask that the stone be set lower, which would mean shortening all the prongs.

I was literally thinking about how to contact you, LLJsmom. What a coincidence,lol !!!

You were so right, that was exactly what I need. I kept trying to find what is different between mine and yours; the prongs in my CAD looks like it stands up so much whereas your prongs look like they wide-open and hug the stone. Initially I thought it was just because your stone is 2.59ct which is much bigger in diameter. Now I realised the stone can be set lowered too.

I spoke to the jeweler about the rubbing issue, given this is not a flush style. I understand it may rub against the milgrain and the stone, but if it takes few years for those to be worn out, I'm happy to do some touch-up by the time.

Though it's hard to see, I believe you have milgrain on your prongs too yeah ?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JustinVu|1470719707|4063768 said:
LLJsmom|1470719073|4063764 said:
Hi Justin,

After wearing a much lower set ring now, I know I prefer a lower set stone. Victor sets at a mid-height, but I think on my Jocelyn, it was lower than where your stone sits in these CADs.

In your CAD, I would ask that the stone be set lower, which would mean shortening all the prongs.

I was literally thinking about how to contact you, LLJsmom. What a coincidence,lol !!!

You were so right, that was exactly what I need. I kept trying to find what is different between mine and yours; the prongs in my CAD looks like it stands up so much whereas your prongs look like they wide-open and hug the stone. Initially I thought it was just because your stone is 2.59ct which is much bigger in diameter. Now I realised the stone can be set lowered too.

I spoke to the jeweler about the rubbing issue, given this is not a flush style. I understand it may rub against the milgrain and the stone, but if it takes few years for those to be worn out, I'm happy to do some touch-up by the time.

Though it's hard to see, I believe you have milgrain on your prongs too yeah ?

Millgrain only until the prong splits into the claws that reach over and secure the diamond. No millgrain there. But while there are diamonds along the prongs, yes there is millgrain.

And since you have melee going up all the way on the prong till the claw, the prongs may be a little bigger on the surface of the stone. You probably already know that.

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Kool, let's just see if DS2006 and Gypsy can chime in sometimes before I make my final decision.

Fingers crossed they're still interested in my topic :D

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
Have you made a final decision? I went in for an initial consultation at Diamond Emporium on a recommendation, but it sounds like you've had a less than perfect experience. Curious to know how everything has worked out for you and if you'd recommend the shop. (Apologies if reviews/feedback on stores are not appropriate here...)

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
SeekingClarity|1471794266|4068352 said:
Have you made a final decision? I went in for an initial consultation at Diamond Emporium on a recommendation, but it sounds like you've had a less than perfect experience. Curious to know how everything has worked out for you and if you'd recommend the shop. (Apologies if reviews/feedback on stores are not appropriate here...)

At a blink of an eye, I find you in my thread haha. Tell me the last time you ever find anything perfect bro :). At the end of the day, they are the seller, their 1st objective is to make money. My objective is to make my gf happy and not getting ripped off. My experience wasn't perfect but I gotta complement on their timeliness, service quality, prices etc.

Who did you speak to? My jeweller, Bec is a lovely woman. Gotta tell you I'm a pretty good negotiator and was managed myself to dodge losing the initial deposit for changing my mind of the Radiant stone, and grab a damn good price on my 1.1ct E VS1.

You probably know by now, you don't have many choices by residing in a separate continent. Just don't expect the same quality as US Sellers. However, in saying that, DE is arguably the best jeweller choice in Sydney :). I mean it, after countless visits to perhaps all highly rated jewellers around town. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any question :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results