Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good Radiant Cut Diamond ??? PLEASE HELPPPPP

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
Hi y'all,

I desperately need your help in selecting this radiant cut diamond that I've searching for.

The specs are as follows:
Colour: D
Clarity: VS1 (2 x pintpoints + 1 x crystal), no where near centre or edges
Carat: 1.51ct, 6.16x6.15x4.33mm
Cut: not graded due to being a fancy cut
Cost: $15k AUD ~ $12k USD including taxes
Fluorescence: None
Cutlet: none
Polish & Symmetry: EX
Table: 67% and Depth 70.4%

My questions are:

1. Do you think the stone overall is a good stone?
2. Do you think it's a bit deep being >70% depth?
3. If you think it's a good stone, do you think the below E-ring design would be a good idea? do you have other suggestion please?
screen_shot_2016-06-18_at_4.png
screen_shot_2016-06-18_at_4_0.png

Here is the only diamond image i got, (feeling wanna shoot myself in the head for not obtaining the video or more images)
diamond_16.jpg
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Are you open to other options?
And is it only radiants she wants or would other squares like a cushion work too?
 

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
Hey mate, I initially like Princess cut, never be a fan of round due to its popularity + price premium. Then one of my friend got proposed with a princess cut + my reading saying Princess is a bit prone to chipping.

Given my gf is not a careful type of person, I'd like to have a radiant cut. I don't like rectangular look so would steer clear of rectangular radiant + emerald.

Cushion is nice. but seems a bit more expensive than radiant given the same specs.

and yes, I'm very open to options. Still have about 5 months left for planning the proposal :)
 

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Sep 3, 2000
Messages
6,378
A diamond with a 70% depth will always look small for it's carat weight compared to a well cut round diamond. With that stipulation, you have selected a diamond with fine color and very good clarity. The photo of the stone looks very nice, but it may not look the same in the lighting you find daily. One can't be certain, but before you buy, you need to be sure yourself. Radiants are not generally a favorite of mine, but I always leave room for exceptions. It takes real and close examination under various lighting scenarios to see what happens.
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,565
Eh, I have a square radiant (albeit much smaller than 1.5 carats) and I'm not digging that one. I also thought about the same issues with princess cuts (I am clumsy and wear my rings to the gym--I know, I'm bad) so went with a radiant so the corners would be more protected. If she likes a princess cut, that patterning is not like a princess. Princess cuts have more organized patterning. I'll show you the difference.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.59-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-452334 (not exactly square, but close, but the patterning is really nice to my eyes)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.52-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-479664 (this one is more square, again I love the patterning on this one--honestly this would be my top choice for you, might want to put it on hold or ask about it--it's a great price at around $9,500!)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.51-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-586205 (probably my least favorite, but again, the patterning is better than the one you are looking at)

If any of these are in-house (in New York) at James Allen, I believe they will have a gemologist compare the stones for you, and possibly do an ASET image (the one where it shows red/green for best light return).

And I'm sure others can suggest good James Allen settings.
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,565
I'd urge you to compare to actual well cut princess cuts, as well, especially if that's what your girlfriend likes. Does she like princess and radiants? Because she's the one wearing this piece. If she'd prefer an actual princess, get her one.

Whiteflash has ACA princess stones that are pretty incredible.

Something like this: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3329699.htm
Or this: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3602759.htm

And to protect the corners, a halo or bezel, or double-claw prongs instead of square prongs:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/princess-halo-solitaire-engagement-ring-3682.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/amphora-for-princess-diamond-engagement-ring-1521.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/cameron-solitaire-engagement-ring-585.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/ritani-1rz7242-solitaire-engagement-ring-3996.htm
 

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 24, 2015
Messages
381
If you like Princess and worried about chipping - you can go bezel style settings. Also most of the good quality settings these days for Princess come with chevron prongs so that protects the chipping. If chipping is your concern you need not worry.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
JustinVu|1466245798|4045390 said:
Hey mate, I initially like Princess cut, never be a fan of round due to its popularity + price premium. Then one of my friend got proposed with a princess cut + my reading saying Princess is a bit prone to chipping.

Given my gf is not a careful type of person, I'd like to have a radiant cut. I don't like rectangular look so would steer clear of rectangular radiant + emerald.

Cushion is nice. but seems a bit more expensive than radiant given the same specs.

and yes, I'm very open to options. Still have about 5 months left for planning the proposal :)

Okay. A lot of talk here about your preferences. Which is fine, however, this isn't for you. What are your lady's preferences SPECIFICALLY?
 

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
Gypsy|1466286034|4045510 said:
JustinVu|1466245798|4045390 said:
Hey mate, I initially like Princess cut, never be a fan of round due to its popularity + price premium. Then one of my friend got proposed with a princess cut + my reading saying Princess is a bit prone to chipping.

Given my gf is not a careful type of person, I'd like to have a radiant cut. I don't like rectangular look so would steer clear of rectangular radiant + emerald.

Cushion is nice. but seems a bit more expensive than radiant given the same specs.

and yes, I'm very open to options. Still have about 5 months left for planning the proposal :)

Okay. A lot of talk here about your preferences. Which is fine, however, this isn't for you. What are your lady's preferences SPECIFICALLY?
Forgot to mention, this is going to be a total surprise for my GF. She has no idea what i'm doing now. She's never worn diamond in her life. The only thing she has ever know is a D colour diamond (from her mum who happens to be a colour freak). So that is the reason why I have to get a D colour.

I know I'm at risk for not discussing the shape preference with her but hey, she would marry me if i propose with a plastic ring even. So it really comes down to what I think she'd like.

I don't think she wants round, she probably likes princess but a radiant with 4 corner prongs would make it physically like a princess anyway. Personally I think the radiant has more of a dancing, random fire and brilliance which I think can be very attractive.

Plus the stone I've picked is a square radiant which makes it even more like a princess cut diamond.

Hope that helps :)
 

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
rubybeth|1466260571|4045424 said:
Eh, I have a square radiant (albeit much smaller than 1.5 carats) and I'm not digging that one. I also thought about the same issues with princess cuts (I am clumsy and wear my rings to the gym--I know, I'm bad) so went with a radiant so the corners would be more protected. If she likes a princess cut, that patterning is not like a princess. Princess cuts have more organized patterning. I'll show you the difference.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.59-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-452334 (not exactly square, but close, but the patterning is really nice to my eyes)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.52-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-479664 (this one is more square, again I love the patterning on this one--honestly this would be my top choice for you, might want to put it on hold or ask about it--it's a great price at around $9,500!)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.51-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-586205 (probably my least favorite, but again, the patterning is better than the one you are looking at)

If any of these are in-house (in New York) at James Allen, I believe they will have a gemologist compare the stones for you, and possibly do an ASET image (the one where it shows red/green for best light return).

And I'm sure others can suggest good James Allen settings.

Thanks for your input, the 2 options are definitely very beautiful. I guess we're on the same boat in regards to the totally dancing and random patterning. That is why I've selected a very simple yet elegant ring design that minimises any light blockage.

I'll probably steer clear from halo as the stone is relatively large for my gf's finger already. I think her size is 3.5-4.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Okay so.

You can go down to E as well. Seriously.

Now, let's have you tell us about her. We have a questionaire for situations like this.

1. What is your budget?

2. How old are you guys?

3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.

4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grundge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes?

5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones

6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather?

7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?

8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige)

9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).

10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?

11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her?

12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.

13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)?

14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?

15. What is her background/ culture?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Okay so. Most D stones, frankly are not well cut in fancy shapes. Why? Because people who buy D color stones usually know squat about cut.

So. Trust us on the diamonds. I could cut and paste a tutorial for you, but it's just faster and easier to tell you that CUT is what matters with diamonds. And that we know well cut stones and will recommend you nice ones. SPARKLE is determined by faceting and light performance. So how beautiful a diamond is has very little to do with color and clarity.

Now. Next thing. With fancy shaped diamonds (not rounds) CARAT weight is not relevant. SIZE is determined by DIMENSIONS. So when comparing two stones compare the length and width not the carat weight.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-1-5-Carat-E-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-APUCU1
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-1-51-Carat-E-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-GBVM9G
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-1-51-Carat-E-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-CQUAJA

So this is the best radiant for you budget: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Radiant/GIA-Certified-1-56-Carat-E-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-7YT3LD

Really lovely EC. I don't know why you don't care for rectangles, but they are one of the safer bets for a "suprise" because rectangles look great on most people's hands. https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Emerald/GIA-Certified-1-42-Carat-E-Color-VVS1-Clarity-Diamond-HGYXJL

All of those E's have excellent cut, and unless her mother's stone is fantastically cut these will blow it away.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Unlike the others I'm not going to recommend a princess.

Why? They face up SMALL and an AGS0 E or better color is out of budget for you: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3668917.htm

See that stone is 6.2mm in size (not weight).

All the other squares I found for you are 6.5mm.

This is the best princess I found for you: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Princess/GIA-Certified-1-51-Carat-D-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-5987LM It is well cut and beautiful. But it's only 6.35x6.2mm. However it is a D. And it's the ONLY well cut D in ANY of the square/rectangular stones I found.

And that's a HUGE difference in size in a square stone.

So stick to the list above.


Now, let's work on settings. Please answer the questionnaire above.
 

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
Gypsy|1466315047|4045584 said:
Okay so.

You can go down to E as well. Seriously.

Now, let's have you tell us about her. We have a questionaire for situations like this.

1. What is your budget?

2. How old are you guys?

3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.

4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grundge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes?

5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones

6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather?

7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?

8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige)

9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).

10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?

11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her?

12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.

13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)?

14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?

15. What is her background/ culture?

WOW, I'm blown away by how much detailed you can be.

Let's dig in.

1. my budget is about $15k AUD incl taxes so that would be around $10k USD.

2. I'm 26 and she's 23.

3. I'm a financial planner and she's a hotel accountant.

4. She's more a girly cute kinda fashion. Full-on dress up may be once a fortnight when we go out for dining or party. Most of her time is spent on work / gym times so I'd imagine very little time for wearing the diamond.

5. She likes platinum but I'm leaning towards white gold for the fact that platinum is less prone to scratches. Rose gold is very nice and she loves rose pink stuff but i'm not sure if she'd like it to be on her ring, I like the colour of 14k but I know 18k is of better quality.

6. We've been living together for 4 years, our house is decorated in very modern approach but at the same time and I know she likes the idea of Danish furniture (white + orange brown). She likes leather a lot, not so much metal.

7. She'd be the last person on earth to be defined as organised. Yes, she is very clumsy.

8. oh please, hand bags are the stuff that she can talk about 24/7. and yes, she has many hand bags, from Dior to YSL, Chanel to Prada etc. Majority of them are dark tone colour (silver, black, navy) but some are hot pink and red.

9. We live near Sydney CBD however our life is a work + gym life. work 9-5, then gym to 7 get home at 8, eat shower then sleep. The only time for us to go out is weekend. We stopped clubbing and partying like animals quite sometimes ago. Right now, we only find nice place to eat. Yes, we're food addict.

10. Always wanted a dog, but never had one. Not planning to have one anytime soon due to a major commitment.

11. Very brand name biased when it comes to high quality product. But that was me, the one who has dragged her into that. She used to be a $100 or under when it comes to shopping. But I guess if that is to do with the diamond then I would steer clear from Tiffany, Cartier etc because the premium is just way too high. And it gives her more bragging right talking about her D colour or a big sized stone.

12. She is cute, loves cooking and eating fine food. She looks a lot younger than her age. Never stressed or wants to be stressed. Laughs all the times. Always been an outgoing, laid-back and social girl. She's the only child and always been spoiled by her family. Loves me unconditionally and always feel insecure. Always want to be protected.
She's a typical young asian girl, short (160cm - 5'), slender fingers, long hair, feminine, yellow-white skin.

13. She's never worn a diamond ring or any diamond jewellery but I know she doesn't like halo due to its bulky look. She wants a diamond that looks good on its own without additional support of surrounding stones. She has no preference to diamond shape because she could marry me even if I propose if a plastic ring. We've been living together from the 2nd week after we've met. Technically we're like husband and wife now (all the typical stuff, joint bank a/c, house/ money etc)

14. No jewellery so far, may be a small very fine necklace. No ring, no pendant. She has a pandora bracelet and that's about it.

15. As above :)

Thank you Gypsy, you totally blown me away for your effort in doing this :).
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Okay so.

She would wear the ring to work, as her job is easy on the hands. Any ring you get should not be worn at the gym, so she can slip it off and put it on her necklace (many of us do).

She's clumsy and disorganized. Has a feminine personal style and likes brand names but doesn't have to have them. Has a clean modern aesthetic but would appreciate and enjoy feminine details and something more "unique" than a simple solitaire. Nothing bulky... definitely more 'delicate' settings.

I agree with you on the pave. But I don't like that setting for her. I mean, it's perfectly OKAY. But I think we can do better in terms of quality. And quality really matters with pave. REALLY REALLY matters.

I think rose gold would be really nice her. So would platinum. Don't worry about scratching on platinum. Do a search on here for "platinum gold" and see what comes up. But I really like rose gold for her. And if she ever wants platinum she can easily reset it later on.

I posted ALL the stones I could find in range for you already. So you pretty much have to pick from those. But you have a nice selection.

But settings is where we can get a little more creative and I think given her love of handbags and what you said about her, we definitely should.

Most of the stones above are 10k. SO that leaves 2k for the setting.

Can we (please, please, please) up the budget by a 1.5k USD? Without you going into debt?

If we can, it gives us a REALLY nice selection of setting styles.

I'll post a few that I really like for her.
 

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
I know this GIA report may not mean so much, but since I've already put down the deposit of $1k

Yes yes yes, How stupid I was @[email protected]'m going to see the diamond in person next week and there is an option for me to bail out. But if I don't have to I won't.

Maybe you could give me some insight on this particular diamond and we can then focus on the setting perhaps :(.

Many thanks

6222231079-page-001.jpg
diamond_17.jpg
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Okay so. Get a refund. NOW. That stone is an iceberg.

I'm going to use this as a learning exercise for you.

How big is that stone?

COME ON, you should know this after my last post.



_________________________________________________
DON'T PEEK.



_________________________________________________



Look at the dimensions. NOT THE WEIGHT.


That stone is 6.1x6.1.

So basically it looks like a 1.2 carat radiant.

So you are paying for a stone that will look TINY for its' carat weight.

That faceting is okay but it's got that round shatter thing going on that makes radiants look like a cracked windshield. But all that matters is performance on diamonds (and faceting). And I can't tell you anything about that cause there is no ASET image.

HOWEVER a disproportionate number of radiants are really poorly cut and perform... poorly.


So basically. It's small. Deep. We have no perfomance data on it. And it's probably over priced consider it's dimensions.
 

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
Gypsy|1466318761|4045595 said:
Okay so.

She would wear the ring to work, as her job is easy on the hands. Any ring you get should not be worn at the gym, so she can slip it off and put it on her necklace (many of us do).

She's clumsy and disorganized. Has a feminine personal style and likes brand names but doesn't have to have them. Has a clean modern aesthetic but would appreciate and enjoy feminine details and something more "unique" than a simple solitaire. Nothing bulky... definitely more 'delicate' settings.

I agree with you on the pave. But I don't like that setting for her. I mean, it's perfectly OKAY. But I think we can do better.

I think rose gold would be really nice her. So would platinum. Don't worry about scratching on platinum. Do a search on here for "platinum gold" and see what comes up. But I really like rose gold for her. And if she ever wants platinum she can easily reset it later on.

I posted ALL the stones I could find in range for you already. So you pretty much have to pick from those. But you have a nice selection.

But settings is where we can get a little more creative and I think given her love of handbags and what you said about her, we definitely should.

Most of the stones above are 10k. SO that leaves 2k for the setting.

Can we (please, please, please) up the budget by a 1.5k USD? Without you going into debt?

If we can, it gives us a REALLY nice selection of setting styles.

I'll post a few that I really like for her.

Thanks so muchhhhhh. I like rose gold too. If I was to choose white gold for that setting I'd pick a nice tiny 2mm pink diamond (famous for being australian) as a centre stone underneath the main centre stone to replace the white diamond.

Totally agree with the fact that she can reset it later on.

and my 12k USD budget is for the stone only. I have had a budget of max $3k USD ($5k AUD) on the ring setting. So there you go, Options are wide opened. Remember I'm a financial planner :D. I would never go hunting without being fully armed haha.

But if I was to buy a pink diamond for a special touch, it would at least cost me $1.5-$2k for a decent 2mm diamond.

Obviously we don't have to go down that path. I just want something that makes her WOW. Perhaps a very delicate setting, like you said with some special touches.

P/S: just saw your latest post. that stone is a 6.16x6.15.4.33mm 1.51ct. It doesn't have to be massive as 1: her fingers are pretty small, 2. 6mm+ is already a good size for a 3.5-4 sized fingers I think. It's more about other qualities.

For the price, it's $9,700 USD. The fact that the diamond looks small has been well informed by the jeweller. She told me that that 6.15mm sized should be sufficient for my gf's fingers and that if I was to buy a 1.5ct with less depth -> bigger dimensions I'd have to pay a lot more than that with D colour and VS1, none cutlet and fluo + EX Polish & Symmetry.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I EDITED.

Go back and read it. It's not about the dimensions. It's about the fact that it's not the right size for the weight and should be CHEAP as a result. But isn't GOING to be because A) you are in Australia and the stone is a B) D VS1.

It's a TERRIBLE deal at 10K. Seriously.

I know what you said about her fingers. But listen, I just took a PSer shopping with a size 3 finger and we were looking at 3 carat stones. And they looked great on her. SEE HERE:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/joe-escobar-trip.223575/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/joe-escobar-trip.223575/[/URL]

If you are shown the radiant in person. That's a tricky thing. YOU have no idea what a good radiant looks like.

FRANKLY, the jeweler will probably show it to you with either: much nicer more expensive stones. OR with crappier stones to make it look good.

So unless you know what a GOOD one looks like... what good is seeing it in person ALONE.

You should always see diamonds WITH OTHER DIAMONDS. Preferrably ones that are well cut and so you can make an educated choice.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
So, settings.


Very good quality and very reasonable in price. And I would buy any of them.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/legera-pave-platinum-5861p
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/vatche-saran-diamond-engagement-ring-2550.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/caroline-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-for-princess-cut-diamonds-by-vatche-395.htm
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/legera-pave-18rg-5861r18


BEST quality.

This is the one I like best for her: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/braided-shank-pave-solitaire I would only do a braided shank from a handforged bench like Victor. And this is an EXQUISITE setting. DO NOT get full eternity pave. You aren't 100% sure about her ring size. Only get 1/2 eternity (and it will save you money). And it is much more unique, while still being modern and feminine and delicate. All things I think she would like.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-evelyn-solitaire-with-2ct-emerald-cut

These will likely rung 4k USD. But you will have money left over from the ring since the stone should cost you 10k.

I HIGHLY recommend, that since you CAN afford it, you go for the Victor settings.
 

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
Gypsy|1466320141|4045599 said:
I EDITED.

Go back and read it. It's not about the dimensions. It's about the fact that it's not the right size for the weight and should be CHEAP as a result. But isn't GOING to be because A) you are in Australia and the stone is a B) D VS1.

It's a TERRIBLE deal at 10K. Seriously.

I know what you said about her fingers. But listen, I just took a PSer shopping with a size 3 finger and we were looking at 3 carat stones. And they looked great on her. SEE HERE:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/joe-escobar-trip.223575/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/joe-escobar-trip.223575/[/URL]

If you are shown the radiant in person. That's a tricky thing. YOU have no idea what a good radiant looks like.

FRANKLY, the jeweler will probably show it to you with either: much nicer more expensive stones. OR with crappier stones to make it look good.

So unless you know what a GOOD one looks like... what good is seeing it in person ALONE.

You should always see diamonds WITH OTHER DIAMONDS. Preferrably ones that are well cut and so you can make an educated choice.

I'm not sure how much is the cancellation cost. If it's just the delivery cost x 2 then I'd probably go with your advice. Because if I was to lose the whole deposit of $1k then we'd need to find a stone at the price of $9k and better perform than the one I got, which is going to be quite difficult. I hope that they do ASET image for me so I can give it to you for assessment, though I've not asked yet.

talking about not being able to tell how good a radiant looks like, I found myself such a fool for not even being able to tell a fake diamond with a plastic / crystal one :)). So pathetic.

I know they have a pretty good selection of square radiant (they showed me one at last visit - 1.5ct F VS2) so maybe I can ask for a few worse stones and few better stones to see where mine is at. Fingers Crossed
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
That's assuming the vendor knows better cut ones and worse cut ones.

Many vendors wouldn't know a well cut stone if it hit them upside the head. I would NOT be very confident if they don't have an ASET or don't know what one is.


I'd say it's worth up to 500 bucks to get out of that.

http://i.ebayimg.com/07/!B24tOlgBGk~$(KGrHqF,!h0E)qpF3eSGBMkPjG3DtQ~~_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007 This is a diamond holder. They should put the stone in this for you.

If they do not let you take the stone outside, do not buy from them. They should be fine holding on to your driver's license while you do it, or sending you out with a security guard.

You need to see the stone AWAY from the jewelers lights. Those lights are specifically calibrated to make crappy stones look amazing and to MINIMIZE the difference between crappy stones and better stone.

You want to see the stone in bright sun light. In the shade (this is very important). And INSIDE but under 'regular' lights (so the bathroom) or if you are in a shopping center in regular store lighting but away from the jewelers lights.

You are paying 9k. Spend at least 20 minutes with it walking around and seeing in different lighting situations.

ALSO, put hand lotion on your hands BEFORE you go see the diamond. Then while you are there, brush your thumb over the stone, making it oily.

Yes, I just said make the stone dirty on purpose.

Why? Because that's how the stone will be on the hand 99% of the time. Diamonds are clean only for about 10 minutes after cleaning. EVERY OTHER TIME that sucker is dirty when you see it on the hand.
 

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
Gypsy|1466321719|4045604 said:
That's assuming the vendor knows better cut ones and worse cut ones.

Many vendors wouldn't know a well cut stone if it hit them upside the head. I would NOT be very confident if they don't have an ASET or don't know what one is.


I'd say it's worth up to 500 bucks to get out of that.

http://i.ebayimg.com/07/!B24tOlgBGk~$(KGrHqF,!h0E)qpF3eSGBMkPjG3DtQ~~_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007 This is a diamond holder. They should put the stone in this for you.

If they do not let you take the stone outside, do not buy from them. They should be fine holding on to your driver's license while you do it, or sending you out with a security guard.

You need to see the stone AWAY from the jewelers lights. Those lights are specifically calibrated to make crappy stones look amazing and to MINIMIZE the difference between crappy stones and better stone.

You want to see the stone in bright sun light. In the shade (this is very important). And INSIDE but under 'regular' lights (so the bathroom) or if you are in a shopping center in regular store lighting but away from the jewelers lights.

You are paying 9k. Spend at least 20 minutes with it walking around and seeing in different lighting situations.

ALSO, put hand lotion on your hands BEFORE you go see the diamond. Then while you are there, brush your thumb over the stone, making it oily.

Yes, I just said make the stone dirty on purpose.

Why? Because that's how the stone will be on the hand 99% of the time. Diamonds are clean only for about 10 minutes after cleaning. EVERY OTHER TIME that sucker is dirty when you see it on the hand.

They are the most favourable dealer in Sydney, I'd say it's comparable to James Allen in the state.

Yes they do use the diamond holder as described and tweezer + magnifying glass and all that. I'll give it a go to bring it outside though it will be dark by the time. I can only see the after work during weekdays as my gf's always on my tail during weekends.

They know ideal-scope test (predominantly for round shape diamonds) and ASET - for light leakage - predominantly for other fancy shape diamond. I just don't think they have the facility available for ASET test. It's just not a popular equipment in Australia. I think there might be just under 5 dealers that have the ASET images available.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Ironic since it was invested by an Aussie.

Gary Holloway is the inventor and he's located in Australia.

Do you know how to read an ASET?

In person WHITE or CLEAR= leakage. Blue= obstruction. What you want in a radiant is red and green. More red and green than white or blue.

You have to hold the stone, in the holder just inside the lip of the ASET scope. Too far in and you get a false "great" reading because it takes the stone right next to the red.

About your lady.

Can't you make up a 'best friend' event? Or a parent/family thing. You can ask your best friend or family member to cover for you.

It really is best to see them during the day. And by best I mean-- don't go at night.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
And.

Your spending 10k.

Is there some reason you can't take a long lunch or a half day at work???

Seriously. Priorities. That's what PTO or vacation time is for.
 

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
Gypsy|1466326210|4045609 said:
Ironic since it was invested by an Aussie.

Gary Holloway is the inventor and he's located in Australia.

Do you know how to read an ASET?

In person WHITE or CLEAR= leakage. Blue= obstruction. What you want in a radiant is red and green. More red and green than white or blue.

You have to hold the stone, in the holder just inside the lip of the ASET scope. Too far in and you get a false "great" reading because it takes the stone right next to the red.

About your lady.

Can't you make up a 'best friend' event? Or a parent/family thing. You can ask your best friend or family member to cover for you.

It really is best to see them during the day. And by best I mean-- don't go at night.
Gypsy, the more I talk to you the more stupid I feel of myself.

Just a quick Google I've already found Mr. Holloway's shop is very close to where I live. But I guess I have to pay for it in full first in order to bring it to Gary for an ASET check. It would be either disappointing or fully satisfied after the result.

I've seen a few ASET images and I know the colour differences.

And thank you for the tip of long lunch. But I'd rather go for a best-friend event. Sounds much better as I would probably spend more then an hour at the jeweller.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
No reason to buy the rock and take it anywhere. Buy buy an ASET. Its 50 bucks US. And you can resell it on PS to another Aussie after.

:)

Take it with you.


I am here to help.
 

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
78
Gypsy|1466366079|4045728 said:
No reason to buy the rock and take it anywhere. Buy buy an ASET. Its 50 bucks US. And you can resell it on PS to another Aussie after.

:)

Take it with you.


I am here to help.
Just sent the jeweler an email as below:

1. Can I take the diamond out of your office for a daylight view (wouldn't need any longer than 10-15 mins). Happy to have someone with me, no problem. If you can't, I'd probably come after work sometimes between today and Friday - to be confirmed.
2. I recall you said ideal-scope is more for round shape diamond, do you have the ASET scope for light leakage? If you don't, do you think I should buy one and carry with me. I think it's like $50 or something

I'm just not good at judging how well a diamond perform so I guess a more illustrative measurement would definitely help. the other day when I visited a jeweler I couldn't even recognise a fake 'plastic' diamond.


This is how they replied:

Not a problem, how does 1pm sound on Friday?

I am happy to step out of the office with you and we can look at the diamond in the sun, that is not an issue.

I do have an ideal and ASET scope so no need to purchase one.

I can assure you the diamond has lots of fire and a crisp sparkle; I know you will be very happy with the diamond.

I am excited to view it together!


So it looks like I may be in a trusted hands ? They said the stone has arrived, can sit down at a coffee shop for viewing, have both ideal-scope and ASET scope for me to test the stone.

most importantly, they also assured me they the stone has lots of fire and sparkles.

Now I guess I have to take sometimes studying how to read ASET image and hopefully they have the facility for me to take the images home -> which will be passed on to you guys for assessment.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
VERY VERY GOOD!

Oh, I'm excited for you. :appl: :appl:

HOLD ON TO YOUR POCKET BOOK. Make sure to look at the stone outside in the sun but especially in the shade as well (cover it with your hand if you have to, or under an awning or whatever tree is available).

Since he is being so nice make sure you have him show you what he looks for in a diamond and tell you what he sees in a couple different stones.


Look at some different shapes too. I know you are favoring radiants. But check out cushions too. But that one REALLY is facing up small. It's facing up like a 1.2 carat stone.

You could spend 2k less and get the same look in this E Si1. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.30-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-1135199 So, keep that in mind. If you are paying 10k for a 1.5 carat stone it should LOOK like a 1.5 carat stone.

Have him show you E colored WELL CUT stones (a poorly cut stone will ALWAYS look darker).

And tell him that you are open to eyeclean Si1 stones in terms of clarity in E color (if you like it) in order to get a NICE square radiant that LOOKS like a 1.5 carat stone (you want 6.4mm at least).

So if you LOVE the vendor and are happy with them, but don't love the stone DO NOT BUY IT. Keep working with them, make them work for you (and make no mistake you ARE PAYING for the service they are offering you), until they find you the RIGHT stone.

You are only going to propose to this woman ONCE. It's worth it, just like you waited for her, you wait for the right stone.

Also, I KNOW you like squares. BUT look at rectangular ones too. WHY? They look FABULOUS on the hand. Seriously. Rectangles are very flattering.

You are there, spend the time to really get educated.

Do not think of this as a BUYING expedition. But a fact finding and educating one.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8287411-1.32-carat-Radiant-diamond-E-color-VVS2-clarity.aspx (that's an electronic ASET they look weird and bad, but that's actually a very decent one for a rectangular radiant). And it's a pretty stone.

Look out for 'shadows' and 'gray' or 'dark spots' in radiants. Concentrations of them are common in average cut ones.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top