shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my diamond set properly?

Venusara

Rough_Rock
I have an update post!! I got my ring fixed by kilani and they did exactly what I wanted. I originally asked for claw prongs from the previous setter, but they came back looking round so I just assumed every setters claw looks different. But that would've been totally fine if it was set properly.

I told kelani to do what they had to do to set it securely and that if claws were not possible that round was fine too. The replied saying nothing is impossible :oops2:

Here are the before and after pictures :bigsmile:

Screenshot_20210118-180913_Gallery.jpg
20210112_233246_885.jpg 20210123_152758_192.jpg Screenshot_20210123-161930_Gallery.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SO MUCH BETTER!!

Wow. That’s night and day. You must be thrilled!!

Please do let us know who you went to originally so that other PSers in your area know who to avoid. If you already did - I apologise, I may have missed it.
Edit - I reread and saw that you specify on Page 2 of this thread, I just missed it!

Venusara

Rough_Rock
She owes you a full refund. Her bench did a complete crap job and they’ve now made it more difficult for you to get it done properly somewhere else.

I would, at the very least, tell her that you aren’t buying her BS, and post a public review of the fact that she chose to respond to her own shoddy workmanship with denial and finger-pointing. Even if you decide that pushing for a refund (which, again, is fully deserved here) is too much bother.

This was my next post!! I don't know who, but some of you have commented on her ig about the poor setting job and contacted her about it. It changed everything for me. Her whole demeanor in how she talked to me completely changed!! She became extra nice and offered me a full refund. You guys are honestly the best and she has made things right by offering me a full refund!! This is the best outcome, the past stressful week and a half was worth it in the end. Honestly the day before I went to kilani, I felt sick to my stomach with the stress of not knowing if my ring could be fixed :sick:

Edit: thank you all so so much for giving me so much support and advice through this stressful time. I really wouldn't know what to do if it were not for this forum and all of you amazing people!! I am so happy to be able to be a part of this community!! I appreciate all the time everyone took to help me :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Venusara

Rough_Rock
SO MUCH BETTER!!

Wow. That’s night and day. You must be thrilled!!

Please do let us know who you went to originally so that other PSers in your area know who to avoid. If you already did - I apologise, I may have missed it.
Edit - I reread and saw that you specify on Page 2 of this thread, I just missed it!

I am super super thrilled!! They did an amazing, especially under the circumstances!! I still cannot believe what a huge difference there is:oops2:

kare_xo

Rough_Rock
I have an update post!! I got my ring fixed by kilani and they did exactly what I wanted. I originally asked for claw prongs from the previous setter, but they came back looking round so I just assumed every setters claw looks different. But that would've been totally fine if it was set properly.

I told kelani to do what they had to do to set it securely and that if claws were not possible that round was fine too. The replied saying nothing is impossible :oops2:

20210112_233246_885.jpg 20210123_152758_192.jpg Screenshot_20210123-161930_Gallery.jpg

WOW. It looks sooo good! I will definitely reach out to them if my vendor doesn’t work out. How much did it cost to reset it?

Inbloom

Shiny_Rock
Yay I'm happy for you! Love those claw prongs!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! What an amazing transformation. I didn’t comment earlier because you were getting sage advice that I would have just echoed. That was an abysmal setting job!! :(
But now I am so happy for you because this ring is absolutely gorgeous and the prong work is stellar now!! Enjoy and congratulations!!

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Yay it looks perfect! Secure and dainty, they did a really good job making the claw prongs look sharp, even in those closeup shots. I'm so glad you were able to get a full refund!!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring looks stunning! I’m so glad you got the happy ending you deserve. Good job to the PSers who called out Dana McLaven and shamed her into refunding you 100% of that hot mess. Enjoy your beautiful ring Venusara!

dmack

Shiny_Rock
The revised setting is exquisite. I’m so happy you got this outcome! The before pic stresses me the heck out, man... :p

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So glad this worked out for you - it looks like a different ring (in a good way!) It is lovely!

It is terrible that the first vendor essentially bullied you AND did a terrible job - as consumers we put our faith in the pros and we shouldn't have to clean up messes like this especially when we are paying for them to know better!

So glad this had a happy ending - soon you will forget all about this stress.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve watched this knowing I didn’t have anything to add - but I’m thrilled for you! What a great result. Wear it in health and happiness!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SUCH a huge sigh of relief! Does not look like your stone is going anywhere. I'm so glad Kilani could do it right. Ugh! and that terrible first vendor. Awful. I'm so glad she gave you a full refund, and that she came to the realization that her unprofessional conduct and shoddy workmanship has been exposed to the world. Consequences for her and her business...

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

Oh thank goodness! This correction looks perfect, I completely cringed at the original and was so upset on your behalf!!!

I would leave an honest review of your vendor on web sources- they did a poor job with the setting and tried to tell you it was fine!!!

I recently purchased a ring with a slightly loose stone when it arrived and the jeweler immediately asked me to send it back so they could fix it!

Congratulations on not only having your ring set perfectly now, but also on getting a full refund back!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful!! It not only looks elegant and beautiful, it looks secure and seated properly! I'm so happy this worked out the way it has! And you now have a jeweler nearby whom you know you can trust. Bonus!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so glad it turned out well! It seriously looks so much better! And I’m glad you’re gonna get that refund! I didn’t comment on this thread before because you were getting some great advice but I thought I would be proactive and find her IG. I commented on how atrocious that setting job was. Looks like she deleted all the posts with your ring like it never happened though.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad it turned out well! It seriously looks so much better! And I’m glad you’re gonna get that refund! I didn’t comment on this thread before because you were getting some great advice but I thought I would be proactive and find her IG. I commented on how atrocious that setting job was. Looks like she deleted all the posts with your ring like it never happened though.

Except I think on her FB she shows off the ring on 1/14/21 like she designed it herself. Bad prongs and all! So weird. I think it’s OP’s ring.

silkandsapphires

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I've been a lurker and have read the threads about how the prong seats should hug the diamond girdle without there being any gaps of air in between them. I recently got my stone set in a semi mount setting that my fiance ordered online. When the job was finished she told me to be very careful to not bang it on anything while wearing it because the prongs were thin and there wasn't a gallery. I was staring at the ring through a loupe and found that there are gaps of air and the stone at some angles look like it could possibly slip out.

I brought this to the attention of the jeweller and diamond setter and she told me that the diamond setter knows what he's doing and that my stone is very secure. She said "if he hammered it like normal the diamond would drop so low" and she also mentioned that the rose gold (14kt) is too soft to work with?

She says if I'm OK with that, to bring in the stone and he will do it for me. Am I being too ocd? Based on the fact that she said my prongs were too thin, I'm too worried to wear it based on what she said and what I see through the loupe.

Based on all this, can anyone help me and let me know if my stone is set safely or should I get it set better and should I go back to the same person? Thank you for taking the time to read my dilemma! Screenshot_20210117-225252_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210117-225242_Gallery.jpg

I sent her these diagrams I found through other pricescope threads and she told me I'm funny followed by her explanation of why it cannot be done.

Screenshot_20210117-223741_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210117-173032_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210117-172734_Chrome.jpg

I feel your pain on a complaint not being taking seriously! I absolutely agree that this stone wasn't properly set

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
This was my next post!! I don't know who, but some of you have commented on her ig about the poor setting job and contacted her about it. It changed everything for me. Her whole demeanor in how she talked to me completely changed!! She became extra nice and offered me a full refund. You guys are honestly the best and she has made things right by offering me a full refund!! This is the best outcome, the past stressful week and a half was worth it in the end. Honestly the day before I went to kilani, I felt sick to my stomach with the stress of not knowing if my ring could be fixed :sick:

Edit: thank you all so so much for giving me so much support and advice through this stressful time. I really wouldn't know what to do if it were not for this forum and all of you amazing people!! I am so happy to be able to be a part of this community!! I appreciate all the time everyone took to help me :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

I hope you don't mind, but I was the one who forwarded her a link to this thread and politely asked her to make it right for you. I am glad she did. (Others may have contacted her too).

I have a real bee in my bonnet about people being taken advantage of, duped, dismissed, and honestly cannot stand by and watch it happen. I can't bite my tongue. I also appreciated that you were honest enough to post the name of the vendor which I think is so important on a consumer forum, and it frustrates me when people don't, so I felt you deserved others to speak up for you. I know it can be hard when you're in the middle of it and don't know if your expectations are realistic or not.

The new ring is absolutely stunning.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Congrates it looks awesome!!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hope you don't mind, but I was the one who forwarded her a link to this thread and politely asked her to make it right for you. I am glad she did. (Others may have contacted her too).

I have a real bee in my bonnet about people being taken advantage of, duped, dismissed, and honestly cannot stand by and watch it happen. I can't bite my tongue. I also appreciated that you were honest enough to post the name of the vendor which I think is so important on a consumer forum, and it frustrates me when people don't, so I felt you deserved others to speak up for you. I know it can be hard when you're in the middle of it and don't know if your expectations are realistic or not.

The new ring is absolutely stunning.

Kudos to you both. Well done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results