shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my diamond set properly?

Venusara

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I've been a lurker and have read the threads about how the prong seats should hug the diamond girdle without there being any gaps of air in between them. I recently got my stone set in a semi mount setting that my fiance ordered online. When the job was finished she told me to be very careful to not bang it on anything while wearing it because the prongs were thin and there wasn't a gallery. I was staring at the ring through a loupe and found that there are gaps of air and the stone at some angles look like it could possibly slip out.

I brought this to the attention of the jeweller and diamond setter and she told me that the diamond setter knows what he's doing and that my stone is very secure. She said "if he hammered it like normal the diamond would drop so low" and she also mentioned that the rose gold (14kt) is too soft to work with?

She says if I'm OK with that, to bring in the stone and he will do it for me. Am I being too ocd? Based on the fact that she said my prongs were too thin, I'm too worried to wear it based on what she said and what I see through the loupe.

Based on all this, can anyone help me and let me know if my stone is set safely or should I get it set better and should I go back to the same person? Thank you for taking the time to read my dilemma! Screenshot_20210117-225252_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210117-225242_Gallery.jpg

I sent her these diagrams I found through other pricescope threads and she told me I'm funny followed by her explanation of why it cannot be done.

Screenshot_20210117-223741_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210117-173032_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210117-172734_Chrome.jpg

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@venusara,welcome to PS!
So it looks like your vendor didn’t set the stone properly. After creating the grooves in the prongs for the diamond’s girdle to sit in, the prongs's tips need to be manually bent on top of the stone with a blunt tool. The prongs can now easily catch on clothing or something and can potentially peel off of the diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That jeweler sounds like they are (unfortunately) incompetent. I would find someone else asap to properly let the stone because it isn't secure like that. Definitely don't wear it until it has been reset.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
She said "if he hammered it like normal the diamond would drop so low" and she also mentioned that the rose gold (14kt) is too soft to work with?

prongs were thin

I wonder if they were trying to tell you the diamond is too small for the setting, the setting is of poor quality, if they just didn't want to set outside pieces, or what. (I'm not suggesting any of those, however.)

Either way I'm stunned a bench sent this out like this...

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Looks absolutely perilous and is totally shoddy craftsmanship. I'd take it off as others suggested and would bring it to another jeweler.

Venusara

Rough_Rock

I was thinking that it would catch on clothing too! Thank you for confirming my thoughts!!

Not to be an alarmist but I would not personaly wear it like that.
It is not secure and looks like it has already moved.

I haven't worn it, I literally only put it on for a few minutes at a time to just stare at it :( It really does look like it moved. Thank you for replying!!

That jeweler sounds like they are (unfortunately) incompetent. I would find someone else asap to properly let the stone because it isn't secure like that. Definitely don't wear it until it has been reset.

I definitely will not be wearing because it really feels unsafe. Do you think someone else will be able to still fix it, or would I need a new setting altogether? I love this setting so much, I really want to save it if it is possible.

She said "if he hammered it like normal the diamond would drop so low" and she also mentioned that the rose gold (14kt) is too soft to work with?

prongs were thin

I wonder if they were trying to tell you the diamond is too small for the setting, the setting is of poor quality, if they just didn't want to set outside pieces, or what. (I'm not suggesting any of those, however.)

Either way I'm stunned a bench sent this out like this...

Honestly, when she gave me back the ring she told me that the setting was not made well and that I would have to be very careful because the diamond could be knocked out of the setting very easily. It did give me a vibe where it felt like she was trying to tell me it was poor quality and to order a new setting from her. She charged me $300CAD and I assumed it was so expensive because it was an outside piece. But if they honestly set it properly, we wouldn't mind paying the premium for good honest work.

Looks absolutely perilous and is totally shoddy craftsmanship. I'd take it off as others suggested and would bring it to another jeweler.

Will another jeweler still be able to use this setting? I hope it is still salvagable

Venusara

Rough_Rock
I would go to someone else. Research first. I would not wear like that. Sorry, I can imagine this must be stressful but I think a competent jeweler can fix it.

I tried to research reputable jewellers locally (I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada) and could not really find any info online. I will keep trying to research but it is hard to find someone who is honest, especially when this jeweller told me her diamond setter was the best in the city.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I tried to research reputable jewellers locally (I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada) and could not really find any info online. I will keep trying to research but it is hard to find someone who is honest, especially when this jeweller told me her diamond setter was the best in the city.

I'm in Hamilton and I have a really good, friendly local jeweller who has set my stuff. He's very inexpensive and I've never had any problems. If you want to make the trek down here I can give you his info.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
This is so odd...that they didn't "cinch" in the prongs is bizarre, and also that they told you to be extra careful AND that the prongs are too thin implies (to me) that they somehow know this is shoddy work? Would you mind taking a picture from further away? I'm just curious what it looks like from both the side and the top if the prongs aren't hammered in to secure the stone. It's certainly bizarre and I think they should refund you since the work is barely complete!

Venusara

Rough_Rock
I'm in Hamilton and I have a really good, friendly local jeweller who has set my stuff. He's very inexpensive and I've never had any problems. If you want to make the trek down here I can give you his info.
At this point I am still in contact with the jeweller I went to, to see how this situation can be fixed. But if I don't go back to her, I will definitely be contacting you for your jewellers info. Thank you so much for offering me advice!!

This is so odd...that they didn't "cinch" in the prongs is bizarre, and also that they told you to be extra careful AND that the prongs are too thin implies (to me) that they somehow know this is shoddy work? Would you mind taking a picture from further away? I'm just curious what it looks like from both the side and the top if the prongs aren't hammered in to secure the stone. It's certainly bizarre and I think they should refund you since the work is barely complete!

I will attach more photos of the ring from far away. Maybe my setting really is too delicate? Or maybe the prongs are actually too thin? This is honestly stressing me out because I don't know what to believe anymore. She told me to bring it in so that they can fix it but I'm scared that they will make it worse. Sigh!!! Screenshot_20210112-233021_WeChat.jpg Screenshot_20210118-180857_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210118-180913_Gallery.jpg

I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply, I'd be so lost otherwise. Thank you!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The prongs are plenty beefy from what I see, I dont understand calling them thin.
There is plenty of metal there and room to drop the stone down further in the setting with new seats which is what I would do.
As it does not have the prongs connected under the diamond so I would keep them short.
There are millions of rings out there like that, its done all the time.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
At this point I am still in contact with the jeweller I went to, to see how this situation can be fixed. But if I don't go back to her, I will definitely be contacting you for your jewellers info. Thank you so much for offering me advice!!

I will attach more photos of the ring from far away. Maybe my setting really is too delicate? Or maybe the prongs are actually too thin? This is honestly stressing me out because I don't know what to believe anymore. She told me to bring it in so that they can fix it but I'm scared that they will make it worse. Sigh!!! Screenshot_20210112-233021_WeChat.jpg Screenshot_20210118-180857_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210118-180913_Gallery.jpg

I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply, I'd be so lost otherwise. Thank you!!

Thanks for attaching the photos! Frankly I'm super confused as it almost look like a CAD photo where they show how the diamond would sit before cinching the prongs in to cup the stone. Unless I'm missing something a rose gold setting shouldn't be that difficult to work with and the prongs DO look sturdy enough. I'm glad Karl chimed in as he's an expert :)

Definitely think you should look into someone else as this problem seems easily resolved, but also still request a refund for extremely shoddy and incomplete work. The good news is that your setting is lovely and I love the low secret halo :dance:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs are plenty beefy from what I see, I dont understand calling them thin.
There is plenty of metal there and room to drop the stone down further in the setting with new seats which is what I would do.
As it does not have the prongs connected under the diamond so I would keep them short.

Completely agree. The setting looks fine, but the person who set it did a bad job

Venusara

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me! I will take it to someone else to reset it lower with new seats. Would claw prongs on a setting like this still be secure for the stone or should I stick to round? I'm so happy it can be fixed. Thank you!!

Venusara

Rough_Rock
Thanks for attaching the photos! Frankly I'm super confused as it almost look like a CAD photo where they show how the diamond would sit before cinching the prongs in to cup the stone. Unless I'm missing something a rose gold setting shouldn't be that difficult to work with and the prongs DO look sturdy enough. I'm glad Karl chimed in as he's an expert :)

Definitely think you should look into someone else as this problem seems easily resolved, but also still request a refund for extremely shoddy and incomplete work. The good news is that your setting is lovely and I love the low secret halo :dance:

Thank you for replying, I thought it was weird but wasn't sure if I was just being picky.

I don't think they will give me a refund and I feel a bit bad about asking for a refund because they did do the job, just not in the way I expected it to be.

When I messaged her telling her that after looking at my ring with a loupe that I felt like it wasn't set properly, she texted me back saying "Without knowing it all you have no right to say this. We run a very elite business. **** did what he felt was best for your setting with the delicate claws. Bring it next week."
I feel like she will just argue if I even mention the word refund. And she keeps asking me to bring the ring back to her so that the setter can "do it the way I want it". I'm uncomfortable going back.

Thank you, the secret halo is my favorite part hehe!=)2

Venusara

Rough_Rock
Completely agree. The setting looks fine, but the person who set it did a bad job
Thank you! She had me convinced that it was a very delicate setting:confused:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me! I will take it to someone else to reset it lower with new seats. Would claw prongs on a setting like this still be secure for the stone or should I stick to round? I'm so happy it can be fixed. Thank you!!

my opinion is unless a setting is designed for claws 90%+ of the tme they end up looking bleh.

Venusara

Rough_Rock
my opinion is unless a setting is designed for claws 90%+ of the tme they end up looking bleh.

I'll attach the stock photo of the setting. I'll see what can be done. Thank you for your helpful advice!! 20210109_002935.jpg

NatashaL

Rough_Rock
Ugh I hate bad customer service. I’d be getting a refund at this point. It is obviously not right. I’m far from an expert and I can see that. But to then act rude like that...buh bye. Good luck with everything. Finished correctly, it will be very pretty ❤️

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Under no circumstances let this jeweler try to *fix* this!
Chalk it up to a lesson learned and go elsewhere. Your setting is beautiful and once set properly it will look lovely!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness, thats a poorly executed setting Attempt.
is the setting too big for the diamond ?
The air gap is huge, the prongs aren’t even finished properly.
like they just cut 4 random grooves in prongs, poked the diamond in FC8E875E-C819-4585-926B-CFB57EE29AC0.jpeg and went “it’s set”.
As for her customer service attitude :x2
This ring is a modestly priced setting from China.
see how the prongs hug the shape of the diamond.
see how the prong length has been shortened, bent over and rounded near the girdle.
don’t go back, that jeweller is a lost cause.
if you can’t find someone else local, ask to see their work, perhaps sending it away is best.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't know about any jewelers in Toronto with a good bench, but I follow this designer on Instagram. She's located in Toronto. Maybe if you called her workshop asking for a recommendation for a good bench they could help?

The worst they can say is no and not give a referral. But they clearly have someone setting their stones properly there.

P

Petalouda

I’m so glad you will be going somewhere else to fix your setting. Just looking at the picture gives me extreme anxiety with how unsecure your diamonds looks. Kudos to you for looking closely and asking!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for replying, I thought it was weird but wasn't sure if I was just being picky.

I don't think they will give me a refund and I feel a bit bad about asking for a refund because they did do the job, just not in the way I expected it to be.

When I messaged her telling her that after looking at my ring with a loupe that I felt like it wasn't set properly, she texted me back saying "Without knowing it all you have no right to say this. We run a very elite business. **** did what he felt was best for your setting with the delicate claws. Bring it next week."
I feel like she will just argue if I even mention the word refund. And she keeps asking me to bring the ring back to her so that the setter can "do it the way I want it". I'm uncomfortable going back.

Thank you, the secret halo is my favorite part hehe!=)2

Walk (run) away and never go back

your ring is going to be really beautiful once its fixed

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Contact Martin Sheffield @ USA Certed Diamonds, he is a reputable and recommended vendor on this forum. He is also from Toronto and can definitely help you out.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I’m still mad at that woman from the jewellers!
How rude telling you off for daring to complain.
Her Elite” jewellery store? Really?
There is nothing “Elite” about her condescending attitude in response to your valid concerns.
Blind Freddie can see that’s a totally crap attempt at setting.
Does it look anything like the stock photo example?
A photo showing how a properly set diamond will look in the setting?
No.
She is rude and abrupt because she knows you’re right.
don’t worry, a real jeweller will have no trouble doing it properly for you and then you can wear your beautiful ring everyday with a smile.
Dont go back to them, unless it’s to show her your ring AFTER a real jeweller has corrected their botched and overpriced attempt.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results