shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it me or are OEC's more expensive than MRB's now?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Have you (or anyone here?) used the PS search? It seems like all the OECs are listed through “diamonddealfinder” and you have to contact them for pictures and info. It might be worth doing a search and reaching out.

I am not currently shopping for an OEC but I’m always interested in these threads for future project planning and I’d love to know how the PS/diamonddealfinder search works out.

They are looking for me. No dice yet.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
This is such a tough question. For a modern cut stone F/VS2 is my sweet spot.

Maybe it’s easier to show you pics of the 2 stones that I wish I had known enough to act on.

One is a 3.31J VVS2 (I don’t need one this clean) and the other is a modern recut 4.14 I I1.

There was another pretty 4+ carat L that Sin City Finds had that someone linked to, but I’m just not convinced an L is tint free enough for me.

Cut wise, I love the flowery petal facets but it’s not a deal breaker.
DE78DFD8-A20E-4BEF-9D95-AFC52CCBDBCF.jpeg

Personally, the table is too big and the facets under the table looks flat.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh @lulu_ma I remember the recut from Dolly - it was done by Sako's dad I thought! I thought that stone was beautiful (but not necessarily eye clean)- but I wasn't sure if you had your heart set on a true antique - I can post the video from Instagram so people can weigh in? But didn't want to share in case you were worried about lurkers!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh @lulu_ma I remember the recut from Dolly - it was done by Sako's dad I thought! I thought that stone was beautiful (but not necessarily eye clean)- but I wasn't sure if you had your heart set on a true antique - I can post the video from Instagram so people can weigh in? But didn't want to share in case you were worried about lurkers!

Hi @Cerulean that stone sold a long time ago before I was ready to pull the trigger. :roll:

It wasn’t a true antique but a beauty nonetheless...

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok here’s another one with a fatal flaw. Can you spot it?

6528B82A-5985-48D3-88B8-3B9C03F07F5F.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi @Cerulean that stone sold a long time ago before I was ready to pull the trigger. :roll:

It wasn’t a true antique but a beauty nonetheless...

Ahh okay - I got confused - which is the one you posted from Dolly to look at? I thought you shared the modern recut in a photo...(this one)

1614898868408.png

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ahh okay - I got confused - which is the one you posted from Dolly to look at? I thought you shared the modern recut in a photo...(this one)

1614898868408.png
Yes, this is the recut. It’s just an example of what I think is a pretty stone. I wonder if a PSer bought it...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
GIA classifies that an a natural indent! This stone is classified SI!

@ForteKitty what the lowest you would go in clarity for an OEC?

Is there a feather being reflected around in there? Because I see multiple feathers in there.
For a diamond over 3.5ct., to be set in a ring? Probably GIA VS2, because my eyes tend to go straight to inclusions. I have an SI2 in a stud and that's fine because I can't see it.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yes, this is the recut. It’s just an example of what I think is a pretty stone. I wonder if a PSer bought it...

OH doi :roll: sorry to have misunderstood

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Is there a feather being reflected around in there? Because I see multiple feathers in there.
For a diamond over 3.5ct., to be set in a ring? Probably GIA VS2, because my eyes tend to go straight to inclusions. I have an SI2 in a stud and that's fine because I can't see it.

Thanks @ForteKitty I know you are one of the OEC Jedi masters! :)

What's your position on a small extra facet?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @ForteKitty I know you are one of the OEC Jedi masters! :)

What's your position on a small extra facet?

Doesn't matter, as long as it's polished like a normal facet. I don't usually focus on numbers much. they're not going to show you whether the inclusions are going to be reflected around multiple times nor the severity of fisheye and girdle reflection.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok this ring is SO much prettier in real life! And so white for a OEC.

Attachments

• 18C781E8-79D8-4D8B-AC72-089B14C155C3.jpeg
    18C781E8-79D8-4D8B-AC72-089B14C155C3.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 15

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Aurora26 ! I was just drooling over this-its SO gorg. But just a tad too warm. Darn it.

It is beautiful but I agree with you...too warm for you (and me). But those chunky facets...Swoon.

Dolly and Diana get wonderful stones in every now and then...keep a keen eye out for their listings. You just might get lucky. I am going to message you.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen this one? I don’t know this vendor but it’s beautiful...

Edit...crap it sold!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

Edit...crap it sold!

Aww that's nice but I think it's sold.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Edit...crap it sold!

@Cerulean I LOVE that stone. If it were a J and priced as a J, I would have jumped on it.

I got to try on a G, I, J and L. For an OEC, I don’t need colorless. For some reason just a touch of tint brings out the magic of an OEC for me.

That stone sold really quickly too!

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
@Cerulean I LOVE that stone. If it were a J and priced as a J, I would have jumped on it.

I got to try on a G, I, J and L. For an OEC, I don’t need colorless. For some reason just a touch of tint brings out the magic of an OEC for me.

That stone sold really quickly too!

I concur! I and above is so icy, while M or below can be a touch warm for me personally.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
No to the 4.04 carat. I'm not mind-clean but it has to be eye clean. But if I was flexible, I would have bought it. Truly lovely in person.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you got to see it in person. There’s just no substitute for that.
It eliminates the possible future ‘what if’s’ after you know your mind.
You’ll find your stone. It just may take some time. :)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Glad you got to see it in person. There’s just no substitute for that.
It eliminates the possible future ‘what if’s’ after you know your mind.
You’ll find your stone. It just may take some time. :)

@Rfisher if only patience was my strong point!

I went to get the 4.72 “M” today to evaluate. Left empty handed.

E446D4F7-6262-4675-8A2D-2669BBFECAEC.jpeg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
But looks at the face up next to this J ec...
4151FCCB-A0F1-42C9-B906-348641DE8672.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Okay so I don’t know this vendor and I have no idea the specs - she looks warm but wanted to share in case!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Okay so I don’t know this vendor and I have no idea the specs - she looks warm but wanted to share in case!

Thanks @Cerulean ! This one is very pretty but too warm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results