shape
carat
color
clarity

Is basic chivalry/courtesy dead?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:16:15 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 3/3/2010 3:07:35 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 3/3/2010 2:58:05 PM
Author: jas
I seem to always get bitten in the butt -- hard and fast -- by karma when I try to call strangers out on their rudeness. Even an eyeroll on my part seems to cause great offense and/or harm and/or escalation. (Although I will concede that I do a heck of an eyeroll). So while I''d love to give a Julia Sugerbaker-tirade to some people -- in traffic, in stores, in elevators, staring at me when I''m trying to wheel two toddlers around -- I have found that, for me, it''s best to, as my grandmother would say, ''Try to rise above.'' I don''t think I''m better than anyone (ok, I may be better than twits who don''t help out people obviously in need of a helping hand), but I do find that when I answer rudeness by calling it out, I never really feel better about it, and often it tends to make me wallow in my own anger about the situation.

I try to think about the classy women I know, and how they would handling the petty rudenesses that face us every day. I am a short-tempered person with very thin skin. I have a lot of opportunities to practice my Grace Kelly-ness (or pick your icon...) every day.

This is not to say I let myself be a doormat.
This. 100%. Especially the bolded part. There seem to be two types of people: 1) people who feel like people ''got away with something'' if you let them pass unscolded ... and 2) people who feel like if you''re driven to SCOLDING means they''ve gotten the better of YOU. YOUR anger has driven YOU to their level. Camp Two for me.
I think a person can be split. I''m camp 2 75% of the time. But every now and then I''ve got my panties in a twist about something and I feel like somebody did something intentionally - well, I''ve taken to giving them Haven''s smile. Sometimes, if the person didn''t intentionally do anything (90% of the time so far), they smile back and I realize I''m being an idiot. 10% of the time, they were trying to get away with something and their reaction tells me that they know they''ve been caught.

I can''t say I''m above stooping to their level sometimes. I do. It''s actually part of why I like Haven''s solution so much - when they do smile back, it snaps me out of it. But sometimes I''m rude, and I meet rude people, and we have rude encounters. I''m very impressed that you''re able to consistently rise above it - that''s something I hope I can do eventually.
Princess, I''m not consistently able to rise above it. Far from it...man, I''d be a heck of a dame if I could. But I''m trying. Lord knows I have made more rude gestures to other drivers than I care to admit. I''ve just had my panties in a twist far more than the average person in my life and I''m trying to change that.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:32:38 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 3:07:35 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 2:58:05 PM
I seem to always get bitten in the butt -- hard and fast -- by karma when I try to call strangers out on their rudeness. Even an eyeroll on my part seems to cause great offense and/or harm and/or escalation. (Although I will concede that I do a heck of an eyeroll). So while I''d love to give a Julia Sugerbaker-tirade to some people -- in traffic, in stores, in elevators, staring at me when I''m trying to wheel two toddlers around -- I have found that, for me, it''s best to, as my grandmother would say, ''Try to rise above.'' I don''t think I''m better than anyone (ok, I may be better than twits who don''t help out people obviously in need of a helping hand), but I do find that when I answer rudeness by calling it out, I never really feel better about it, and often it tends to make me wallow in my own anger about the situation.

I try to think about the classy women I know, and how they would handling the petty rudenesses that face us every day. I am a short-tempered person with very thin skin. I have a lot of opportunities to practice my Grace Kelly-ness (or pick your icon...) every day.

This is not to say I let myself be a doormat.
This. 100%. Especially the bolded part. There seem to be two types of people: 1) people who feel like people ''got away with something'' if you let them pass unscolded ... and 2) people who feel like if you''re driven to SCOLDING means they''ve gotten the better of YOU. YOUR anger has driven YOU to their level. Camp Two for me.
I think a person can be split. I''m camp 2 75% of the time. But every now and then I''ve got my panties in a twist about something and I feel like somebody did something intentionally - well, I''ve taken to giving them Haven''s smile. Sometimes, if the person didn''t intentionally do anything (90% of the time so far), they smile back and I realize I''m being an idiot. 10% of the time, they were trying to get away with something and their reaction tells me that they know they''ve been caught.

I can''t say I''m above stooping to their level sometimes. I do. It''s actually part of why I like Haven''s solution so much - when they do smile back, it snaps me out of it. But sometimes I''m rude, and I meet rude people, and we have rude encounters. I''m very impressed that you''re able to consistently rise above it - that''s something I hope I can do eventually.
Princess, I''m not consistently able to rise above it. Far from it...man, I''d be a heck of a dame if I could. But I''m trying. Lord knows I have made more rude gestures to other drivers than I care to admit. I''ve just had my panties in a twist far more than the average person in my life and I''m trying to change that.
I was talking more to Deco than to you, but I really am impressed that you''ve recognized a problem and are working at a solution. I know I let other people raise my blood pressure more than I should, and the majority of the time I''m pretty hard to upset. But man, sometimes my feathers get ruffled and watch out! I try to lock myself up with plenty of chocolate and my running shoes when I''m in a Ms. Hyde mood (gotta feed the beast and then run away), but sometimes she breaks out at weird times.

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:31:45 PM
Author: Bia

Date: 3/3/2010 3:12:07 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 3:08:09 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 3:07:05 PM
Author: hisdiamondgirl

Date: 3/3/2010 3:01:55 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 2:50:30 PM
you''ve been to The Westchester so you know exactly who I mean
3.gif
If there''s a certain ''type'' you''re talking about -- why keep opening doors for them? Just stand back & let them do the heavy lifting ...
If I sense someone behind me, I just hold the door. I don''t turn around and check to see whether they''re worthy of having the door held for them.
this
Well if its this big deal that brings countless annoyances to your days - maybe reconsider? I think its vastly ruder to chide someone for not thanking you than to BE the non-thanker. There''s plausible deniability for the non-thanker. Maybe they just got diagnosed with cancer and are deep in thought? The SCOLDER is 100% jerktastic. No excuses.

ETA: Its as bad as demanding apologies. Really? You think its valid if you have to demand it? You think you can BULLY thank yous and sorrys out of people with sarcasm? Its only a TRUE GIFT or TRUE GRACIOUSNESS if you have no expectation of ''reward''. Y''all are stingy givers.
I know...this was said before...I think the word ''unclassy'' was used.

I disagree with you. I don''t know where you live, but where I live, this is ALL THE TIME. I get annoyed. That''s where HDG''s idea is a good one.
I know I said I was going to drop it...BUT, like I already said, it is a certain TYPE, and NO, they did not just get diagnosed with cancer, THEY. ARE. JUST. RUDE. They are the ones who are rude to people in stores, to waitresses, to people they believe not to be of their own socio-economic status or whatever! And yes, I do derive pleasure from seeing them flustered after I remind them that I am not the doorman. And if that makes me a b*tch, so be it!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:36:22 PM

I was talking more to Deco than to you, but I really am impressed that you''ve recognized a problem and are working at a solution. I know I let other people raise my blood pressure more than I should, and the majority of the time I''m pretty hard to upset. But man, sometimes my feathers get ruffled and watch out! I try to lock myself up with plenty of chocolate and my running shoes when I''m in a Ms. Hyde mood (gotta feed the beast and then run away), but sometimes she breaks out at weird times.
Oops. Heh. Well, yes, I am terribly thin-skinned, which points to me being pretty ego-driven. That''s what I work on...getting past ego. Much easier when I''m alone. :)

I also agree with the Chocolate Solution, but heavens woman, running shoes? Rock on with you. I stop at the chocolate and then wonder why my muffin top keeps coming back. Then I get cranky...

Wait...is chocolate my problem?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m very impressed that you''re able to consistently rise above it - that''s something I hope I can do eventually.
Nah ... I can''t *always* rise above it ... but like Jas said: when I CAN''T ... when I DO say something ... I always regret it. Either it escalates and creates MORE anger/frustration etc --OR-- I feel badly about letting the original infraction get to me that way. Realizing its a no win proposition makes it less tempting to lash out in the moment yanno?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:41:31 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 3:36:22 PM

Oops. Heh. Well, yes, I am terribly thin-skinned, which points to me being pretty ego-driven. That''s what I work on...getting past ego. Much easier when I''m alone. :)

I also agree with the Chocolate Solution, but heavens woman, running shoes? Rock on with you. I stop at the chocolate and then wonder why my muffin top keeps coming back. Then I get cranky...

Wait...is chocolate my problem?
In the immortal words of Elle Woods:

Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people jsut don''t kill their husbands. They just don''t!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:43:01 PM

I''m very impressed that you''re able to consistently rise above it - that''s something I hope I can do eventually.

Nah ... I can''t *always* rise above it ... but like Jas said: when I CAN''T ... when I DO say something ... I always regret it. Either it escalates and creates MORE anger/frustration etc --OR-- I feel badly about letting the original infraction get to me that way. Realizing its a no win proposition makes it less tempting to lash out in the moment yanno?

Really? So are you feeling the tickle of regret yet?

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:43:03 PM

In the immortal words of Elle Woods:

Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people jsut don''t kill their husbands. They just don''t!
Maybe everyone in doorways, on public transportation, in restaurants, or on 90/94 here in Illinois need to take a lap. Open doors, seats offered, waitresses spoken to courteously, no one driving up my tailpipe or going 100mph.

And, of course, no dead husbands.

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Gotcha. Yeah, I know. I almost (almost!) always regret letting it get to me. I''m lucky in that I live in a very polite area - I can''t think of a time when I''ve had a door shut in my face, seen a pregnant woman/woman with children stand while guys in suits lounge across two seats, or anything like that. But I remember living in places where it was very common, and it frustrated me more when I felt like I had to take on the situation instead of just move on.

That said, it was VERY satisfying when by doing something polite (offering my seat to an elderly man) I got to watch 10 guys act ashamed of themselves for not doing it first, and immediately rush to their feet whenever it looked like somebody needed a seat.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:23:14 PM
Its only a TRUE GIFT or TRUE GRACIOUSNESS if you have no expectation of ''reward''. Y''all are stingy givers.
about the highlighted part, isn''t this ironic coming from you?
Touche. I''ll think about that observation.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:44:56 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Ya see ... THIS I don''t find to be ironic. I''m not scolding anyone. We''re talking hypothetically about rudeness and what we each find rude. This isn''t a face to face DECO-to-anyone eyeroll or ''How Rude!" moment. Someone wasn''t rude to me and I countered with rudeness. Nobody held a door for me, or tripped me when I tried to walk through it. There''s a difference between discussing ideology and shooting someone the finger. Wait for it: (irony)
20.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 3:55:50 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 3:44:56 PM

Ya see ... THIS I don''t find to be ironic. I''m not scolding anyone. We''re talking hypothetically about rudeness and what we each find rude. This isn''t a face to face DECO-to-anyone eyeroll or ''How Rude!'' moment. Someone wasn''t rude to me and I countered with rudeness. Nobody held a door for me, or tripped me when I tried to walk through it. There''s a difference between discussing ideology and shooting someone the finger. Wait for it: (irony)
20.gif
Sure you are. Own it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 2:28:03 PM
Sometimes folks just don''t know better. I''ve been the ''backpack violator'' myself (shamefully). Was traveling the first time in Europe and just didn''t realize it was bad manners to wear the backpack on the crowded train. A VERY IRATE elderly Italian man set me straight and it didn''t take me learning Italian to know what he meant.
3.gif
I also remember learning from others that you should stand to the right of an escalator so other people can pass you if you''re just going to ride.

Not everybody''s parents covered ALL the courtesy bases. Sometimes stuff doesn''t come UP during the time you have with your parents. If you see friends/siblings/nephews/nieces behaving in discourteous ways -- maybe THAT''s a good place to bring it up gently. Offering advice to strangers (nicely or rudely) is trickier territory.

I also think its unwise to feel ENTITLED to offered seats, opened doors, people lifting your bags in & out of the overhead compartment etc. And unwise to challenge the overtly rude. You really never know who is going to snap on you violently. Is smugness worth THAT possibility?
Yes.

Right now FI and I live in a strange neighbourhood, where the apt complex we live in is just fine, but literally a street away it starts getting seedy, so we see rude behaviours of all sorts everyday - the smokers who won''t leave (and who are smoking questionable things
38.gif
), the terrible drivers who sit with their darkened windows in the middle of the street... lots of things.

FI is incapable of keeping his commentary to himself. If he sees something (like said sitting car) he WILL loudly proclaim that it''s obnoxious and that the guy or girl is a jerk holding up traffic... I want to slap him every. single. time. Yes, you are entitled to your opinions. NO, it''s NOT a good idea to voice them when you never know if the guy in said parked car has a gun! And NO, there''s no justifying it!! I don''t care if you could "take him", the only thing that''ll be taken if he has a weapon or if there''s more than one person is your wellbeing - possibly your life -
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

. vent over.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 4:06:47 PM
. We''re talking hypothetically about rudeness and what we each find rude.
Sure you are. Own it.
Its interesting that you think so. I thought we were all stating our own opinions - not telling each other what to do (or what one SHOULD do in the future). Are the folks who are shaming people who don''t thank door openers also scolding people ya think?

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 4:24:41 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 4:06:47 PM

. We''re talking hypothetically about rudeness and what we each find rude.
Sure you are. Own it.
Its interesting that you think so. I thought we were all stating our own opinions - not telling each other what to do (or what one SHOULD do in the future). Are the folks who are shaming people who don''t thank door openers also scolding people ya think?
No, just you. Per usual.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
um...you called us stingy bullies and you scolded us. How exactly is that hypothetical?

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 3/3/2010 3:08:09 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 3:07:05 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 3:01:55 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 2:50:30 PM
you''ve been to The Westchester so you know exactly who I mean
3.gif
If there''s a certain ''type'' you''re talking about -- why keep opening doors for them? Just stand back & let them do the heavy lifting ...
If I sense someone behind me, I just hold the door. I don''t turn around and check to see whether they''re worthy of having the door held for them.
this
Well if its this big deal that brings countless annoyances to your days - maybe reconsider? I think its vastly ruder to chide someone for not thanking you than to BE the non-thanker. There''s plausible deniability for the non-thanker. Maybe they just got diagnosed with cancer and are deep in thought? The SCOLDER is 100% jerktastic. No excuses.

ETA: Its as bad as demanding apologies. Really? You think its valid if you have to demand it? You think you can BULLY thank yous and sorrys out of people with sarcasm? Its only a TRUE GIFT or TRUE GRACIOUSNESS if you have no expectation of ''reward''. Y''all are stingy givers.
See highlights: It sure felt like a scolding...

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
It's very important to thank people who show courtesy. Courtesy is rare and should be appreciated. However if someone doesn't say a simple "thank you" that should only reflect badly on them. Is it really worth getting upset over or chiding someone for not saying it? No. It took 5 seconds out of your day to do something that is considered common decency anyway.

Those good karma points rack up regardless of whether or not someone acknowledged your kind act.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 4:31:15 PM
No, just you. Per usual.
Getting rather *personal*, no? Did I **** in your pudding, love?

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 2:14:04 PM
Author: Haven

Hey--Don''t drag me into this!
3.gif

I can be as rude as they come, but I''ve found that the killing-people-with-kindness route is much more satisfying because it makes the rude people mad as hell.
11.gif
I imagine my intentions for simply smiling are the rudest of all, actually. I just get off looking kind, but inside I''m twiddling my fingertips together and thinking ''MWUAHAHAHAHAHAA! I just made you even angrier!'' See? I''m rude.
<--- Okay, I''ve always thought your cat is cute, but now he''s staring at me with this weird passive-agressive smile. I can just SEE his paws twitching!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 4:31:44 PM
um...you called us stingy bullies and you scolded us. How exactly is that hypothetical?
Guess people who see themselves in the behavior I''m talking about probably don''t like being called out for it. Totes Haven-
1.gif
time.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 4:47:35 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 4:31:15 PM
No, just you. Per usual.
Getting rather *personal*, no? Did I **** in your pudding, love?
I was speaking ''hypothetically.''

20.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could care less. I own what I say.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Is anyone at all struck by the fact that a thread about courtesy is getting rather...let''s say charged?

jas

Brilliant_Rock
And yeah, I''ll probably regret that last post.
31.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 5:04:05 PM
Is anyone at all struck by the fact that a thread about courtesy is getting rather...let''s say charged?

Not really.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I use this pic often in another board and find it appropriate in this case:

ThreadDirection.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAHAHA why firey, I think I''ve seen that before!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 5:06:11 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 5:04:05 PM

Not really.
Ok, just me, then.

Fiery -- awesome!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 5:06:26 PM
Author: fiery
I use this pic often in another board and find it appropriate in this case:
LOL, fiery, I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results