shape
carat
color
clarity

Is basic chivalry/courtesy dead?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 10:37:04 AM
Author: elledizzy5

Date: 3/3/2010 10:35:04 AM
Author: princesss

Date: 3/3/2010 10:29:11 AM

Date: 3/3/2010 10:19:37 AM
Author: janinegirly

Date: 3/3/2010 10:01:11 AM
I''m shocked at how frequently people are rude to others in public. Seriously shocked. People have become selfish to a ridiculous degree.

I can tell because any time I hold the door for someone, I get a sincere smile and a really meaningful ''Thank you!'' as if it was a shock to them that a stranger considered someone other than themselves.
elledizzy, on the flip side my DH does make a habit of stepping out of the way and fully opening doors for those coming behind and he says he''s amazed at how often people stroll through without barely a head nod let alone a thank you. I''m one of those who says ''thank you'' profusely, because honestly it is not something you can take for granted anymore.
I would be offended if I stopped to hold a door for someone and didn''t get any sort of thank you! That''s terrible!
38.gif
Okay, random question: how many times do you say thank you when walking through a double set of doors? Like at the mall where there are inner and outer doors? I try to say thank you the first time and find a way to rush ahead and get the second door, but sometimes that doesn''t work, and I end up feeling really silly saying thank you twice for the same thing in under a minute.
Hahaha!

I say it twice actually, the first is a sincere ''Thank you!''

The second is more of an under-the-breath ''..thanks'' so they have been acknowledged, but its not like a super emphatic one.
I do the same thing!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm weird. I do give up my seat if I see someone elderly or disabled. But both times I was pregnant I didn't expect people to give me a seat just because I was pregnant. Then again I had uneventful pregancies and was walking a mile or or more in the days leading up to my labor.

The funny thing is, people are more kind when you are pregnant. Once the baby is out may actually need more help (recouping from labor, trying to juggle a kid with hands full) the courtesy is gone and doors are slammed in your face. To me that was shocking. I know some people don't like kids but come on!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 10:44:23 AM
Author: meresal
You know, I travel on public transportation every day, (For the record, it is all working professionals that use the park''n''ride to commute downtown)... I actually see less compassion from other women than I get from men.

I see guys giving up their seats almost everyday, but it takes the women until the very last second and a HUGE sigh to scoot over to the next seat, when they are blocking the only one left.

Which I think is absolutely ridiculous!

ETA: Everytime someone opens a door I say thank you...
My biggest pet peeve is the lack of elevator courtesy in the world. Don''t stand at the opening until you see that there is no one on the elevator trying to get off... and don''t walk onto an elevator BEFORE the people that need to have done so!!!
I think this is attributed to where you live too. IMO, you live in a great state for chivalrous men Mer. I have noticed that men in the South are MUCH more courteous than men in my area.

I was taught to hold doors, say thank you, and respect my elders. When you learn it as a kid, you always do it.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 11:49:44 AM
Author: kenny
Women and men are equal now.
Women are no longer seen as weak and helpless.
Did you see G.I. Jane?

Sure, when a person has a broken leg, is old or pregnant they should get extra consideration IMHO.
I don't think any woman expects a seat just because she is a woman.

Most, if not all, of the posts here have been legitimate circumstances where people were taking up *empty* seats or extra space... and were very hesitant to relinquish the area. No one is asking for seats.

I am 8 months pregnant and I still don't expect someone to give up their seat, but I sure as heck expect them to move their leg for me to sit down in an oepn seat... without me having to physically move it for them.

Bia- I agree. You can tell who the southern gentlemen are.
12.gif
I have family all over the US, and Texas is a very pleasant place, in comparrison... well, the men are, for the most part. (Still think we have some of the biggest Biznatches in the world.)

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I can''t believe how badly people behave. We must have picked a good town because people always hold the door open for the person behind them, say please and thank you, have a nice day, etc. Whenever I rode the bus, if there was someone who needed a seat and none were available someone stood up. I especially noticed this when I had to ride the bus that went past the community college that was was always packed with students.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 12:04:44 PM
Author: Bia

Date: 3/3/2010 10:44:23 AM
Author: meresal
You know, I travel on public transportation every day, (For the record, it is all working professionals that use the park''n''ride to commute downtown)... I actually see less compassion from other women than I get from men.

I see guys giving up their seats almost everyday, but it takes the women until the very last second and a HUGE sigh to scoot over to the next seat, when they are blocking the only one left.

Which I think is absolutely ridiculous!

ETA: Everytime someone opens a door I say thank you...
My biggest pet peeve is the lack of elevator courtesy in the world. Don''t stand at the opening until you see that there is no one on the elevator trying to get off... and don''t walk onto an elevator BEFORE the people that need to have done so!!!
I think this is attributed to where you live too. IMO, you live in a great state for chivalrous men Mer. I have noticed that men in the South are MUCH more courteous than men in my area.

I was taught to hold doors, say thank you, and respect my elders. When you learn it as a kid, you always do it.
Agreed. M''s cousin is teaching his son manners - hold the door, say please and thank you, etc. What he was struggling with the last time I saw him was "Miss" - we''re in the South, and it''s very common for children to address women as "Miss _______." So the little boy, J, kept saying, "Princesss, let''s do this!" and his dad would say, "Did you ask Miss princesss if she''d like to go with you?" Finally J looks at me and said, "My dad keeps calling you Miss princesss. I don''t know why," like he was apologizing for his dad! Cracked me up.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
One the most annoying things when riding rush hour packed trains in NYC is someone with a gigantic backpack that takes up the space of two people. I always take my big bag off my shoulder when in crowded trains and hold it in my hand by my side to give space to those near me and so it doesn''t slam into them, but so many times I have been squeezed up against a massive backpack that pushes and jars into everyone near them. The backpack gives the wearer a no trespass zone while everyone else is standing, and usually the person is oblivious to the discomfort of anyone pressing into it, but everyone in the vicinity is rolling their eyes and giving each other sympathetic glances.

I''ve noticed over the years a much nicer tone in NYC trains in terms of people giving up seats for someone who looks like they need it. I see people give up seats just about every day, and try and do it myself- but the massive backpacks are the latest nuisance.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
When my daughter was 4 months old we had to travel on a plane from Georgia to see a cardiologist for her in Boston. I was traveling alone, which is no easy task with an infant in a snuggly, luggage, stroller, diaper bag and my purse.

Well, on the stairs leading up to the terminal, her diaper bag spilled open and I lost my grip on 2 other bags. Not ONE person stopped to help me. I will never forget it.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 12:21:40 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
When my daughter was 4 months old we had to travel on a plane from Georgia to see a cardiologist for her in Boston. I was traveling alone, which is no easy task with an infant in a snuggly, luggage, stroller, diaper bag and my purse.

Well, on the stairs leading up to the terminal, her diaper bag spilled open and I lost my grip on 2 other bags. Not ONE person stopped to help me. I will never forget it.
People in airports are the worst! Just in general, I never see worse behaviour from people who should know better than I do in airports. I had a whole family try to cut in front of me in line one time, and then try to report me to the security guards/TSA employees when I wouldn''t let them.
20.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 12:03:08 PM
Author: part gypsy
I guess I'm weird. I do give up my seat if I see someone elderly or disabled. But both times I was pregnant I didn't expect people to give me a seat just because I was pregnant. Then again I had uneventful pregancies and was walking a mile or or more in the days leading up to my labor.

The funny thing is, people are more kind when you are pregnant. Once the baby is out may actually need more help (recouping from labor, trying to juggle a kid with hands full) the courtesy is gone and doors are slammed in your face. To me that was shocking. I know some people don't like kids but come on!
Well it's not so much expecting people to get up if one is pregnant, but observing how people handle the situation and frankly alot of times it was disappointing. There were plenty of times I stood while visibly pregnant on a crowded subway. I used to form a protective invisible barrier with my arms around my belly and if someone bumped into my arms I shoved them back. Hey, its New York.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it''s not dead where I live. I used to take public transportation regularly, and people were always giving up their seats for pregnant women and the elderly. Young men would even offer me their seats, and I''m perfectly capable of standing.

This is one of the reasons I love DH so much. He is always so polite and courteous. If we''re going somewhere, he will always stop to help a stranded driver, and has even given a family a ride who were in a hurry to catch a bus (it was 100+ degrees outside). When he notices someone being rude to someone else (like the guy who nabbed a girl''s seat when she got up to use the bathroom), he''ll call them out on it.

I don''t think it''s dead, but I do think there are more rude people out there than there used to be.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 11:18:07 AM
Author: Haven
I just told DH about this thread and he reminded me of something that just happened the other day.

Our library is in the downtown area of our city, so you often have to walk a little bit from the library back to your car with books in hand. The other day I took out a lot of books and forgot my canvas bag, so I was crossing a street with a stack of twelve books piled in my arms. The woman who was stopped at the red light hadn't noticed me walking in the crosswalk because she was too busy sipping her coffee, and she was creeping her car forward, so I stopped in the middle of the street to wait for her to notice me because I didn't want to get hit.

Well, it took her a bit to notice me, and by the time she did the 'Don't Walk' sign was flashing, and her light was about to turn green.

Once she stopped moving forward I started to cross in front of her car, at which point she starting honking her horn at me repeatedly because she was *about* to get a green light. I slowed down just a bit, smiled at her over my stack of books, and kept walking. It was so rude.

Haven, I gotta give it to ya, you are every bit the lady! I would have stuck out my tongue at her and just stared at her for a while. :razz:

I have so many similar horror stories, but I'm not going to go into it because it would be super duper depressing. People who spit in the street and throw trash without a thought are the worst. I don't know what makes these people feel so entitled to every right that's usually so wrong! And don't even get me started about smokers who think cigarette butts are invisible. I could open a museum just with the growing collection right outside my door.
29.gif

ETA: The place I live used to have that small town feel. With more people moving in from the city, I fear that sense of community is disappearing rapidly. We have more sh***y drivers, rude teens, clueless parents, the whole gang. I've always thought it was because of the increase in population, but could it be a generation issue? Are we just becoming more oblivious to others and flippant in general?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 11:49:44 AM
Author: kenny
Women and men are equal now.
Women are no longer seen as weak and helpless.
Did you see G.I. Jane?

Sure, when a person has a broken leg, is old or pregnant they should get extra consideration IMHO.
And that''s why chivalry is dying. It''s the mentality that the reason why men hold doors open for women is because women are weak and since they apparently aren''t weak anymore, they can forget about common courtesy.

It''s not about treating women as equals or rather treating them as weak, it''s about being a gentleman. It''s those core values that you instill in your son(s) at a young age that mold the kind of man they are to their partner in the future. I have known men that were never taught to be chivalrous and it shows in their interaction with the people they have relationships with (speaking in general terms of course as there are always exceptions).

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock

I''m shocked at how frequently people are rude to others in public. Seriously shocked. People have become selfish to a ridiculous degree.

I can tell because any time I hold the door for someone, I get a sincere smile and a really meaningful ''Thank you!'' as if it was a shock to them that a stranger considered someone other than themselves.
elledizzy, on the flip side my DH does make a habit of stepping out of the way and fully opening doors for those coming behind and he says he''s amazed at how often people stroll through without barely a head nod let alone a thank you. I''m one of those who says ''thank you'' profusely, because honestly it is not something you can take for granted anymore.
I would be offended if I stopped to hold a door for someone and didn''t get any sort of thank you! That''s terrible!
38.gif
Hehe. When this happens I say loudly "Ummm, you''re welcome, I''m not the doorman you know."
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 12:53:11 PM
Author: onvacation
Haven, I gotta give it to ya, you are every bit the lady! I would have stuck out my tongue at her and just stared at her for a while. :razz:
I wish that were the case, onvacation!

In reality, it''s just so much more satisfying to see people get even more upset when you react differently than they expect. It''s so much fun to infuriate people by smiling in the face of their rudeness.
9.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 1:08:26 PM
Author: hisdiamondgirl

38.gif
Hehe. When this happens I say loudly ''Ummm, you''re welcome, I''m not the doorman you know.''
3.gif
I''m going to use that next time!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 1:12:37 PM
Author: Haven

Date: 3/3/2010 12:53:11 PM
Author: onvacation
I wish that were the case, onvacation!

In reality, it's just so much more satisfying to see people get even more upset when you react differently than they expect. It's so much fun to infuriate people by smiling in the face of their rudeness.
9.gif
The best is smiling at people that speed around you on the highway doing 90, after they have tailgated your bumper for the last mile, waiting for a space to open up in the next lane. Sometimes I even wave
35.gif

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 1:15:23 PM

I'm shocked at how frequently people are rude to others in public. Seriously shocked. People have become selfish to a ridiculous degree.

I can tell because any time I hold the door for someone, I get a sincere smile and a really meaningful 'Thank you!' as if it was a shock to them that a stranger considered someone other than themselves.
elledizzy, on the flip side my DH does make a habit of stepping out of the way and fully opening doors for those coming behind and he says he's amazed at how often people stroll through without barely a head nod let alone a thank you. I'm one of those who says 'thank you' profusely, because honestly it is not something you can take for granted anymore.

I would be offended if I stopped to hold a door for someone and didn't get any sort of thank you! That's terrible!
38.gif
Hehe. When this happens I say loudly 'Ummm, you're welcome, I'm not the doorman you know.'
3.gif
I'm going to use that next time!

Just want to point out that some people don't mean to be rude, but are just plain dozey. A few months ago, I had been working several night shifts in a row and was in a daze. I walked through a door (that I now know was being held open for me) without even noticing (I'm usually obsessively polite and make a point of saying thanks for the slightest reason). The guy holding it open for me yelled after me sarcastically, "Thank you, you're welcome!" I felt awful all day and it still makes me feel bad to think of it.

So, unless you know someone is purposefully being rude, I would avoid "I'm not the doorman!" type comments. Because to me, that's far ruder than not saying thankyou
2.gif

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 1:27:12 PM
Author: LilyKat

38.gif
Hehe. When this happens I say loudly ''Ummm, you''re welcome, I''m not the doorman you know.''
3.gif

Just want to point out that some people don''t mean to be rude, but are just plain dozey. A few months ago, I had been working several night shifts in a row and was in a daze. I walked through a door (that I now know was being held open for me) without even noticing (I''m usually obsessively polite and make a point of saying thanks for the slightest reason). The guy holding it open for me yelled after me sarcastically, ''Thank you, you''re welcome!'' I felt awful all day and it still makes me feel bad to think of it.

So, unless you know someone is purposefully being rude, I would avoid ''I''m not the doorman!'' type comments. Because to me, that''s far ruder than not saying thankyou
2.gif
Really? Well you know what? I am NOT the doorman. And if someone says that to me and I was "in a daze" or whatever, I would apologize and say "Oh gosh, I am sorry, I''m out of it today" or something to that effect. I don''t think it''s rude at all to remind people that they need to be aware of the people around them...Sorry!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 1:35:33 PM

Date: 3/3/2010 1:27:12 PM

38.gif
3.gif

Just want to point out that some people don''t mean to be rude, but are just plain dozey. A few months ago, I had been working several night shifts in a row and was in a daze. I walked through a door (that I now know was being held open for me) without even noticing (I''m usually obsessively polite and make a point of saying thanks for the slightest reason). The guy holding it open for me yelled after me sarcastically, ''Thank you, you''re welcome!'' I felt awful all day and it still makes me feel bad to think of it.

So, unless you know someone is purposefully being rude, I would avoid ''I''m not the doorman!'' type comments. Because to me, that''s far ruder than not saying thankyou
2.gif
Really? Well you know what? I am NOT the doorman. And if someone says that to me and I was ''in a daze'' or whatever, I would apologize and say ''Oh gosh, I am sorry, I''m out of it today'' or something to that effect. I don''t think it''s rude at all to remind people that they need to be aware of the people around them...Sorry!
agreed.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I was just raised differently. I would not be intentionally rude to anyone, regardless of how they behave. To me, pointing out someone else''s breach of etiquette (especially rudely) is far worse than any breach of etiquette they themselves may have made.

Like Haven and others, I think smiling and letting it drop is the classy thing to do.

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 1:53:06 PM
I guess I was just raised differently. I would not be intentionally rude to anyone, regardless of how they behave. To me, pointing out someone else''s breach of etiquette (especially rudely) is far worse than any breach of etiquette they themselves may have made.

Like Haven and others, I think smiling and letting it drop is the classy thing to do.
Well excuse my crassness, I guess I just can''t be as classy as Haven and the others...
I actually don''t think it has anything to do with how anyone was raised. I was raised very well and I have manners, and I take offense at your suggestion that I was raised badly. Maybe it has more to do with where you live or the people around you. When people are constantly being rude around you, well you know what, there''s only so much smiling and letting it go you can do before you go stir crazy and have to say something for the sake of your own sanity.

Bia

Ideal_Rock

Many times it''s not a matter of someone being ''dazed.'' Instead they are just plain rude - I see plenty of those folks here in NYC.

Sorry but a smile just ain''t gonna cut it sometimes. Does that make me unclassy? Maybe to you, but not imo.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock

But aren''t you in this post pointing out how you think HDG is rude? Just sayin''.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I used to spend a lot of time in a manufacturing plant in south eastern PA. I would always say "please" and "thank you" in the cafeteria until one day, the cafeteria lady asked where I was from. I said Pittsburgh, and she said "Oh, I thought maybe you were from the south or something because you''re always so polite!" Haha

Funny, yet sad. Who doesn''t say "thank you" when you''ve just watched someone make your lunch for you?? Apparently a lot of people.

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 2:03:07 PM
Author: TheBigT

But aren''t you in this post pointing out how you think HDG is rude? Just sayin''.
Well, you can point out someone else''s breach of etiquette as long as you don''t do it rudely...
20.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

BIG DITTO!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock

I was going to say the same thing.
2.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 2:10:51 PM
Author: sunnyd

I was going to say the same thing.
2.gif
Coincidence. So was I!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 2:01:20 PM

Well excuse my crassness, I guess I just can''t be as classy as Haven and the others...

I actually don''t think it has anything to do with how anyone was raised. I was raised very well and I have manners, and I take offense at your suggestion that I was raised badly. Maybe it has more to do with where you live or the people around you. When people are constantly being rude around you, well you know what, there''s only so much smiling and letting it go you can do before you go stir crazy and have to say something for the sake of your own sanity.
Hey--Don''t drag me into this!
3.gif

I can be as rude as they come, but I''ve found that the killing-people-with-kindness route is much more satisfying because it makes the rude people mad as hell.
11.gif
I imagine my intentions for simply smiling are the rudest of all, actually. I just get off looking kind, but inside I''m twiddling my fingertips together and thinking "MWUAHAHAHAHAHAA! I just made you even angrier!" See? I''m rude.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results