shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 2 ct too small? Or: Ramblings re lightbox 2 ct

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There would be a huge difference between your mighty pretty AVC and a 2 carat round. Echo the suggestion to try a cz. To answer the question: For daily wear for a MRB I like 0.5 to 0.7 ct.

Why not try a LGD OEC from DG or Ouros? I love my 6.7 mm from DG. Got a LGD from them specifically because I wanted to see the oec facets better without paying the earth-grown prices for a >1 ct AVR. It’s bigger than what I usually wear but by going the LGD route I feel like I didn’t waste money even if I don’t wear it every day. And you already know how awesome AV can be.

Thank you for your suggestion! I think I may have already anwered in my post above. Love your new ring!

I had not considered Ouros, took a look at their site just now. Seems interesting.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your suggestion! I think I may have already anwered in my post above. Love your new ring!

I had not considered Ouros, took a look at their site just now. Seems interesting.

@RockFox shared her OEC cut by Fiorese via Instagram in this thread earlier.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@RockFox shared her OEC cut by Fiorese via Instagram in this thread earlier.

I am probably a bit old school, I have never visited Instagram and dont see how to buy anything there... and I am not *all that old*. :D I have some learning to do...
Gorgeous stone!

Last edited:

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
So, I saw that lightbox are finally starting to sell bigger sizes than 1 ct, up to 2 ct. Wohoo! But. Makes me think...

I want a bigger size diamond for a solitaire ring. I already have a 1 ct mined avc cushion solitaire, but want a bigger size. I do not want a mined stone again and am considering rounds and emerald shapes this time. I would rather buy an oec, but dont want to pay mined diamond prices for it. All things considered it seems I am heading for a RB, but the question is, what size?

When I compare my 1 ct cushion, which is smaller than a regular 1 ct RB, to a paper cut out 2 ct RB I simply dont feel a huge size difference. I know I know, paper is not like a real diamond, but still! What do you think? I think the size difference is more obvious at 3 ct. Maybe it is more obvious when considering the different heights/depths of the stones... that sure doesnt show in paper.

I guess what I am asking is... If the price would be no issue, what would your ideal diamond size in round cut diamonds be? Is 2 ct too small??

20210823_195748.jpg

The top paper cut out is 3 ct, next to it is 2 ct. And last the 1 ct avc

I personally dislike round diamonds at 2ct and larger.

I had no idea it would be an issue until I started trying them on in store and yep, around the 2ct mark my personal preference goes towards the fancy cuts.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
18B80B87-2497-418D-82AA-182981CC5687.jpeg @acaw2015, I think a 2ct mrb will be a big jump from your AVC, since cushions and OECs are usually deeper than 62%. If it is not enough oomph, you could always make it a 3-stone (see my pic). Comparison of 3-stone: 1.8ct center with 0.5ct sides, and my 2.8ct OEC solitaire

For me personally (ring size 5.5) my 2.8ct OEC, which faces up like a 2.6ct mrb is probably the biggest I'd go in a round cut stone. I find that mrb's larger than 3ct start looking like flying saucers on my hand, especially if haloed. But that is just my personal aesthetic.

My mantra is to go up 1 ct per decade of marriage, so at my 30th anniversary, I'll be looking for a 3.8ct anniversary diamond, and will probably be looking at Emerald Cuts or Ovals. IMO elongated shapes look best at >3ct!

Last edited:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
18B80B87-2497-418D-82AA-182981CC5687.jpeg @acaw2015, I think a 2ct mrb will be a big jump from your AVC, since cushions and OECs are usually deeper than 62%. If it is not enough oomph, you could always make it a 3-stone (see my pic). Comparison of 3-stone: 1.8ct center with 0.5ct sides, and my 2.8ct OEC solitaire

For me personally (ring size 5.5) my 2.8ct OEC, which faces up like a 2.6ct mrb is probably the biggest I'd go in a round cut stone. I find that mrb's larger than 3ct start looking like flying saucers on my hand, especially if haloed. But that is just my personal aesthetic.

My mantra is to go up 1 ct per decade of marriage, so at my 30th anniversary, I'll be looking for a 3.8ct anniversary diamond, and will probably be looking at Emerald Cuts or Ovals. IMO elongated shapes look best at >3ct!

@jaysonsmom your rings! Amazing! Ring goals!!

Thank you for your input. Sounds reasonable. I am actually leaning towards a three stone ring like yours. Your ring size is the same as mine and I love the proportions of your ring, thank you for sharing the stats. I like your idea to start with 2 ct, later add it to a three stone ring and then getting a bigger size of a different shape solitaire.

Do you wear all of your rings or do you tend to reach for one set more than the other? I think all of them are equally gorgeous, I am just curious to know if you have any preference.

mandaluv1119

Rough_Rock
Thank you! What a nice thing to say.

Cushions will always be my favourite shape, AVC being my ideal. I have considered DG, but when I look at the prices for their lab diamonds they seem very high to me. I actually took a second look today and noticed that the price to custom cut seems a bit more affordable, but I havent been in contact with DG to verify that. The thing is that I simply cant justify paying too much for a lab diamond, I would feel cheated if you know what I mean. I realize that there is a premium for getting a custom cut and I respect that. I would definitely pay extra/more than for a lightbox diamond to get an AVC again, but I dont want to pay more for the material in itself than I would at lightbox. I hope that makes sense.

Your post makes me think though. I would really prefer to get a bigger AVC over getting a MRB. But I wouldnt mind a MRB either. Might get both when the lab prices go down, as I expect they will.

Just FYI, the custom cutting price listed at DG is a deposit. You pay a balance based on the specs of the finished product. I went back and forth with whether I wanted to buy a custom cut lab AVR or one from the inventory. After reaching out to Jon it seemed like a better bet to buy an in-stock stone since he had one with the specs I was looking for at the time.

Paying such a premium for a lab AVR was a tough pill to swallow but I have exactly zero regrets. MRBs are everywhere (perhaps not ideal cut though, I'll admit); OECs are more unique. Mine gets a lot of attention even though it's "only" about 1 ct. It sparkles from across the room. But I totally get how large the price difference gets when you get into bigger carat weights... it was hard enough to stomach a $1-1.5k price difference.

Last edited:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just FYI, the custom cutting price listed at DG is a deposit. You pay a balance based on the specs of the finished product. I went back and forth with whether I wanted to buy a custom cut lab AVR or one from the inventory. After reaching out to Jon it seemed like a better bet to buy an in-stock stone since he had one with the specs I was looking for at the time.

Paying such a premium for a lab AVR was a tough pill to swallow but I have exactly zero regrets. MRBs are everywhere (perhaps not ideal cut though, I'll admit); OECs are more unique. Mine gets a lot of attention even though it's "only" about 1 ct. It sparkles from across the room. But I totally get how large the price difference gets when you get into bigger carat weights... it was hard enough to stomach a $1-1.5k price difference.

Thank you! That certainly cleared that question for me. I thought the pricing was a bit odd.

Just to clarify, I think you did the right thing, if there is such a thing. If I didnt have an AVC, I would probably do the exact same thing as you because that is the only avaliable option today that I know of. But now that I dont "need" an AVC or a bigger ct size at this point, I am a lot more picky re pricing.

Upgrading to 2 ct or 3 ct from 1 ct is more of a "fun" project and I will probably still wear my 1 ct when I am out. 1 ct is considered huge in my area... and country.

I did look at some chinese vendors of lab diamonds, selling old cuts. But I am not sure if I am ready to take the risk, not knowing what I would be getting and unable to return it. So, I am in no way saying you made a wrong decision! :)

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
@jaysonsmom your rings! Amazing! Ring goals!!

Thank you for your input. Sounds reasonable. I am actually leaning towards a three stone ring like yours. Your ring size is the same as mine and I love the proportions of your ring, thank you for sharing the stats. I like your idea to start with 2 ct, later add it to a three stone ring and then getting a bigger size of a different shape solitaire.

Do you wear all of your rings or do you tend to reach for one set more than the other? I think all of them are equally gorgeous, I am just curious to know if you have any preference.

I had my 1.8ct earth mined mrb reset into a 3-stone for the very reason that I would not reach for the smaller solitaire once I got my 2.8ct. With both of the rings being different, I do wear them interchangeably throughout the week. I'm swimming or playing tennis, I tend to wear the 3-stone because it is set lower, and I don't want to accidently knock it on something, but if I'm just going shopping or lunching with friends, I wear my solitaire (which actually has pave, so more delicate).

m1918

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if this is helpful but here’s a picture of a 1 carat cushion and a 2 carat on a size 5 finger. To me the 2 carat is significantly bigger!

C72C10A8-21B2-4605-82B5-E04FEF9B8AB4.jpeg E1BB9F37-E9E5-4F76-B546-976028179772.jpeg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is helpful but here’s a picture of a 1 carat cushion and a 2 carat on a size 5 finger. To me the 2 carat is significantly bigger!

C72C10A8-21B2-4605-82B5-E04FEF9B8AB4.jpeg E1BB9F37-E9E5-4F76-B546-976028179772.jpeg

Wow that sure is a significant difference! Very obvious. Thank you for sharing. Both beautiful rings!
I think the 2 ct looks nice on the hand, not too big, not too small. Is it your hand/what did you think?

m1918

Shiny_Rock
Wow that sure is a significant difference! Very obvious. Thank you for sharing. Both beautiful rings!
I think the 2 ct looks nice on the hand, not too big, not too small. Is it your hand/what did you think?

Yes, it’s my hand! I definitely prefer the look of the 2 ct compared to the 1 ct but if I only saw the 1 ct on its own I would think it was plenty big. Once I get into comparisons it’s hard not to see the difference if that makes sense! I will say, I don’t think the 2 carat would be suitable for my lifestyle or profession. I think I would be a little self conscious of it. In an ideal world I think I’d prefer something in between the two but would definitely worry about DSS.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, it’s my hand! I definitely prefer the look of the 2 ct compared to the 1 ct but if I only saw the 1 ct on its own I would think it was plenty big. Once I get into comparisons it’s hard not to see the difference if that makes sense! I will say, I don’t think the 2 carat would be suitable for my lifestyle or profession. I think I would be a little self conscious of it. In an ideal world I think I’d prefer something in between the two but would definitely worry about DSS.

What a beautiful hand, you should be working as a model! :)

I can fully relate to what you are saying.

I think getting a lab stone does help in a weird way for me because if anyone would ask and I feel uncomfortable it would be super easy to say, "oh it is just a lab diamond". But I agree with you that in some situations I would probably prefer wearing my 1 ct over a 2 ct. I already feel uneasy sometimes wearing my 1 ct to work. The more senior & career driven people in my office normally wear silver jewelry/simple gold bands, I have never seen any of them wearing diamonds... I guess someone needs to lead the way! Ha!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
I am currently upgrading my original e-ring from a 1 carat Princess cut with a halo (from 2010) to a lab EC and found the 2.5 with side stones is WAY bigger than I thought it was going to be on my 5.25 finger but I’m gonna rock it

Currently in the process of changing out the middle stone but will be similar dimensions (2.58 vs 2.53).

A5A35FCA-C38A-4582-AB44-85874E4086FA.jpeg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am currently upgrading my original e-ring from a 1 carat Princess cut with a halo (from 2010) to a lab EC and found the 2.5 with side stones is WAY bigger than I thought it was going to be on my 5.25 finger but I’m gonna rock it

Currently in the process of changing out the middle stone but will be similar dimensions (2.58 vs 2.53).

A5A35FCA-C38A-4582-AB44-85874E4086FA.jpeg

Very interesting to hear, thank you for your input. Gorgeous ring!

m1918

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful hand, you should be working as a model! :)

I can fully relate to what you are saying.

I think getting a lab stone does help in a weird way for me because if anyone would ask and I feel uncomfortable it would be super easy to say, "oh it is just a lab diamond". But I agree with you that in some situations I would probably prefer wearing my 1 ct over a 2 ct. I already feel uneasy sometimes wearing my 1 ct to work. The more senior & career driven people in my office normally wear silver jewelry/simple gold bands, I have never seen any of them wearing diamonds... I guess someone needs to lead the way! Ha!

Thank you! I wish being a hand model was in the card for me!

I think you should totally lead the way in your office! If you worry 2 ct may be too big maybe something just under or in between would work?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I wish being a hand model was in the card for me!

I think you should totally lead the way in your office! If you worry 2 ct may be too big maybe something just under or in between would work?

:) :)

Thank you, but personally I dont mind. I am rather considering if 2 ct is *too small*.

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
Looks like they will start just w/rounds in 2 carat? I wonder if they have plans for other shapes. A 2 carat princess cut has got me salivating... and that above pic of a 2 carat cushion is so gorgeous as well.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like they will start just w/rounds in 2 carat? I wonder if they have plans for other shapes. A 2 carat princess cut has got me salivating... and that above pic of a 2 carat cushion is so gorgeous as well.

I think so too, but assume that they will also cut lab stones in princess/their cushion shape at some point. I personally would love to see a huge emerald shape! I think they had ECs for a short while, but not any longer. Now only in accent stone sizes...

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking, it would be a fun project to make a 3 stone ring from a pendant and earrings- I like it when the proportions are closer so maybe a 2ct center and 1ct side stones.

misscamels

Rough_Rock
:) :)

Thank you, but personally I dont mind. I am rather considering if 2 ct is *too small*.

For me? Sadly yes.
I’ve got arthritic style knuckles and lots of damage to my poor hands. Smaller stones get lost quite easily

That said, I’ve got a 1.4 in a “halo” and a 2 in process. I’m hoping they grow on me and I have the opposite of DSS.

ETA: I adopted a princess in an attempt to be adventurous - it felt so much smaller than my 8mm round!

croqueusedediamants

Rough_Rock
I don't think two carats is remotely "too small," but tastes will vary. I recently purchased an "upgrade" for my original (22-year-old) petite engagement ring, and to select my size I ordered CZ rings in 1, 1.25, 1.5, and 2 carats. I don't have tiny hands, but on me the two carat equivalent looked much too big for daily wear. A lot of that is informed by lifestyle, of course, but, even aesthetically, I preferred a smaller stone. I didn't have a budget constraint beyond what I felt psychologically comfortable spending on a single item. I ended up choosing a one point three carat (mined) stone. That's not to say any particular size is right or wrong for someone else, but wearing the cheap CZ rings around the house helped considerably in selecting the size stone that looked most pleasing to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results