shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 2 ct too small? Or: Ramblings re lightbox 2 ct

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, I saw that lightbox are finally starting to sell bigger sizes than 1 ct, up to 2 ct. Wohoo! But. Makes me think...

I want a bigger size diamond for a solitaire ring. I already have a 1 ct mined avc cushion solitaire, but want a bigger size. I do not want a mined stone again and am considering rounds and emerald shapes this time. I would rather buy an oec, but dont want to pay mined diamond prices for it. All things considered it seems I am heading for a RB, but the question is, what size?

When I compare my 1 ct cushion, which is smaller than a regular 1 ct RB, to a paper cut out 2 ct RB I simply dont feel a huge size difference. I know I know, paper is not like a real diamond, but still! What do you think? I think the size difference is more obvious at 3 ct. Maybe it is more obvious when considering the different heights/depths of the stones... that sure doesnt show in paper.

I guess what I am asking is... If the price would be no issue, what would your ideal diamond size in round cut diamonds be? Is 2 ct too small??

20210823_195748.jpg

The top paper cut out is 3 ct, next to it is 2 ct. And last the 1 ct avc

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think you should try on rings in a store, or buy testers from Amazon in cubic zirconia like this

Trust me. A piece of paper doesn't really help too much to figure out size, at least to me...because a sparkly, 3D stone has a lot more presence than a grey piece of paper

I think you will find there is a definite difference between a 1 carat, and a 2 carat stone (your current ring is GORGEOUS btw)

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think I could go bigger than 2 for daily wear. If it were special occasion I love the look of a bigger stone though.

If price was no object I’d want a round diamond so big that I’d need a forklift to lift my hand!

but realistically speaking, I think that for me, the biggest ctw I like for rounds is 5-7ct. I don’t know if I’d be comfortable wearing a 5-7ct everywhere I go though. My ideal size for daily wear would probably be in the 3ct range.

That doesn’t preclude the fact that a 2ct mrb would be a significant size upgrade to your 1ct avc though!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you should try on rings in a store, or buy testers from Amazon in cubic zirconia like this

Trust me. A piece of paper doesn't really help too much to figure out size, at least to me...because a sparkly, 3D stone has a lot more presence than a grey piece of paper

I think you will find there is a definite difference between a 1 carat, and a 2 carat stone (your current ring is GORGEOUS btw)

Great idea! Thank you. And I agree with what you are saying. I also think that a ring may possibly get quite tall and uncomfortable with a 3 ct diamond in it... Another great reason to get a cz to try out first.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t think I could go bigger than 2 for daily wear. If it were special occasion I love the look of a bigger stone though.

Thank you for your reply! Why would you prefer 2 ct over 3 ct for daily wear? Is it just the bling-factor or is it comfort re height of the setting? I would love to hear your thoughts

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If price was no object I’d want a round diamond so big that I’d need a forklift to lift my hand!

but realistically speaking, I think that for me, the biggest ctw I like for rounds is 5-7ct. I don’t know if I’d be comfortable wearing a 5-7ct everywhere I go though. My ideal size for daily wear would probably be in the 3ct range.

That doesn’t preclude the fact that a 2ct mrb would be a significant size upgrade to your 1ct avc though!

Haha I agree! The bigger the better! But IRL I guess we need to be able to use our hands too.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Love the suggestion about the CZ testers.

For a rough comparison, there's DiamDB:

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
If this is helpful at all, this is my 5.5x5.5 mm .91 carat square radiant next to my 7.65 mm 1.73 carat MRB. There’s definitely a noticeable size difference….especially when I alternate wearing them! For me personally I wouldn’t want any larger than 2 carats.
C6CA6F1C-9C15-4341-BE4B-509555FF6CAE.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If price were no issue, I would happily wear a 6-7ct. I currently wear a 4.3ct. in a halo.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think Lightbox is looking to sell stones for ERs, as it may cannibalize their mined diamond sales (although I also don't think a mined customer looking for 3ct+ is suddenly going to buy a Lightbox diamond for their ER either). Their positioning is for "fun" jewelry.

2ct is definitely noticeably larger than 1ct. It all depends on finger size and personal preference. Personally, I feel super large MRBs look like ring pops (just my POV), but you can go larger with fancy shaped diamonds (especially emerald cut).

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I'd prefer a more elongated shape because the same carat weight looks so much larger on the hand than a round. But the lightbox prices would be hard to beat, I think.

Last edited:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If this is helpful at all, this is my 5.5x5.5 mm .91 carat square radiant next to my 7.65 mm 1.73 carat MRB. There’s definitely a noticeable size difference….especially when I alternate wearing them! For me personally I wouldn’t want any larger than 2 carats.
C6CA6F1C-9C15-4341-BE4B-509555FF6CAE.jpeg

Thank you! Gorgeous rings!

This is very helpful, especially seeing your radiant compared to the RB. The halo sure blurs the size difference, but it is still noticeable. Interesting to hear your view.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think Lightbox is looking to sell stones for ERs, as it may cannibalize their mined diamond sales (although I also don't think a mined customer looking for 3ct+ is suddenly going to buy a Lightbox diamond for their ER either). Their positioning is for "fun" jewelry.

2ct is definitely noticeably larger than 1ct. It all depends on finger size and personal preference. Personally, I feel super large MRBs look like ring pops (just my POV), but you can go larger with fancy shaped diamonds (especially emerald cut).

I think you are correct re lightbox and although i dont agree with their viewpoint I can see the argument... I personally dont wear a solitaire as ER, I wear bands instead, because I already had a RHR solitaire when I got engaged. Loved diamonds before I got engaged, why wait...

I would reset the lightbox RB in a ring.

Agree re other shapes and larger sizes.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally believe it is possible to let the ring or other jewellery pieces wear a person rather than the other way round.

Based on the first photo, the 2ct paper cut out looks better and more balanced to me than the 3ct.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK =)2

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
In a round I could probably go up to whatever 10mm equates to (3.5-4 ct) and be satisfied.

In an EC I could easily wear 5 cts. I had a 4.5 ct equivalent moissanite EC that was very easy to wear.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply! Why would you prefer 2 ct over 3 ct for daily wear? Is it just the bling-factor or is it comfort re height of the setting? I would love to hear your thoughts
Height of the setting, mostly, and just impractical when taking gloves on/off since I’m medical. I just wear a band a lot of the time because of that. I also want to be sensitive to the range of socioeconomic backgrounds of the people I take care of and I don’t want to overdo it on the bling and potentially put people off.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
It's totally personal preference, but I don't like the way rounds look in higher carats. I have tried on a 3ct round and it looked like a saucer on my hand. I also have short fingers, so that plays into it.

Elongated shapes look the best 3+ carats. Round and square shapes just become too wide. For a round, I like 1.5-2 carats. It makes a statement without being "loud" if that makes sense.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally believe it is possible to let the ring or other jewellery pieces wear a person rather than the other way round.

Based on the first photo, the 2ct paper cut out looks better and more balanced to me than the 3ct.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK =)2

Great point!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2 carat lightbox is a total game changer. This is going to affect the market in a huge way.

I cannot agree more! I have been following Lightbox since they started and never thought they would go larger than 1 ct. I think their argument that lab diamonds will be considered only for "fun" jewelry, the same as lab emeralds/sapphires/pearls etc as "fake", is mistaken, simply because diamonds are generic in that they have no colour. A lab diamond is completely interchangeable to a mined diamond.

But I am not complaining. I am happy to be able to buy the sizes I want at more reasonable prices. I just hope that jewelers (and pricescope) will stop treating lab vs mined differently and start seeing both for what they are: diamonds... My favourite jeweler in my city didnt even want to set my lab diamonds last year. They didnt mind setting my mined diamond though. Ridiculous.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Height of the setting, mostly, and just impractical when taking gloves on/off since I’m medical. I just wear a band a lot of the time because of that. I also want to be sensitive to the range of socioeconomic backgrounds of the people I take care of and I don’t want to overdo it on the bling and potentially put people off.

Great points. Thank you!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's totally personal preference, but I don't like the way rounds look in higher carats. I have tried on a 3ct round and it looked like a saucer on my hand. I also have short fingers, so that plays into it.

Elongated shapes look the best 3+ carats. Round and square shapes just become too wide. For a round, I like 1.5-2 carats. It makes a statement without being "loud" if that makes sense.

Interesting! I sure will get cz to try before I decide.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a size 8. I had a 1.21 and went to a Lab 2.10. Big difference. I could easily go to 3 ct now.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
@acaw2015
Your current "set" is one of my favorites of pricescope. My limit for size of gemstone/diamond is quite a bit lower than that of the rest of pricescope, I favor smaller jewelry and with my childlike fingers I think that anything over a carat would be too large and feel gaudy/flashy to me.

Would you consider going to Distinctive Gems for a LG OEC or there was an earlier post of another vendor's OEC using LG material?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
There would be a huge difference between your mighty pretty AVC and a 2 carat round. Echo the suggestion to try a cz. To answer the question: For daily wear for a MRB I like 0.5 to 0.7 ct.

Why not try a LGD OEC from DG or Ouros? I love my 6.7 mm from DG. Got a LGD from them specifically because I wanted to see the oec facets better without paying the earth-grown prices for a >1 ct AVR. It’s bigger than what I usually wear but by going the LGD route I feel like I didn’t waste money even if I don’t wear it every day. And you already know how awesome AV can be.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@acaw2015
Your current "set" is one of my favorites of pricescope. My limit for size of gemstone/diamond is quite a bit lower than that of the rest of pricescope, I favor smaller jewelry and with my childlike fingers I think that anything over a carat would be too large and feel gaudy/flashy to me.

Would you consider going to Distinctive Gems for a LG OEC or there was an earlier post of another vendor's OEC using LG material?

Thank you! What a nice thing to say.

Cushions will always be my favourite shape, AVC being my ideal. I have considered DG, but when I look at the prices for their lab diamonds they seem very high to me. I actually took a second look today and noticed that the price to custom cut seems a bit more affordable, but I havent been in contact with DG to verify that. The thing is that I simply cant justify paying too much for a lab diamond, I would feel cheated if you know what I mean. I realize that there is a premium for getting a custom cut and I respect that. I would definitely pay extra/more than for a lightbox diamond to get an AVC again, but I dont want to pay more for the material in itself than I would at lightbox. I hope that makes sense.

Your post makes me think though. I would really prefer to get a bigger AVC over getting a MRB. But I wouldnt mind a MRB either. Might get both when the lab prices go down, as I expect they will.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results