shape
carat
color
clarity

Inclusions extending to girdle- buy it or leave it?

Should I buy it?

• Yes, it looks fine

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No, don’t risk it

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Yes, but negotiate lower price

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mcrzt

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here!

I’ve asked a friend of a work colleague to make a ring for me as he said he’s been making the family Jewellery for years. This made me trust in him enough to ask him if he could source the stone for me too. He found what I was looking for which was an GIA certified 2.11 ct Oval diamond, D SI2 (17,500$) dealer location is SA.

The only issue is I asked for the diagram of the inclusions I saw many of them located towards the edge (girdle) and this worries me as I believe my current diamond ring chipped due to edge inclusions....
73D84150-F89A-455D-861F-F16954926F54.jpeg E859B021-AEC1-4EBE-B9DD-427DED202AF4.png FCFD75C8-3BF3-482A-B261-7A472392B2C7.jpeg

I only have the knowledge that I pick up on these forums and read online but no one to really guide me on whether I should proceed or find another stone. or perhaps I should tell them to reduce the price I’m not even sure if what I’m paying is too much if I’m honest.

I’m due to fly and pick it up this week but I need to be sure before putting that much money down on something I have a funny feeling about... :confused:

Please help!!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any way he can source another for comparison? Obviously, not exact, but it’s always better to have 2 or more to choose from. Perhaps, you may be able to make a more informed decision?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with Matthew also that feather is very noticeable on the stone. It would be a pass for me. o_O

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
It does look like that’s a huge feather running near the girdle ... but I would pass on that diamond mainly because the polish and symmetry are only “very good” ... indicating that the cut is not so great.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know what nice ovals look like? I'd be hesitant to work with someone that could only provide me with 1 stone. His price looks equivalent to James Allen
but it is no great deal. I wish you had a better up-close, straight on image of the stone so we could have a better look at the faceting pattern. Would be nice
to know if it had good light return and minimal "mush".

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to throw this out there:
Fancy cut stones are different than MRB’s; VG Polish/Symm. is actually good for a fancy cut diamond.
I still think it’s important to have a comparison, when purchasing diamonds....

Mcrzt

Rough_Rock
Is there any way he can source another for comparison? Obviously, not exact, but it’s always better to have 2 or more to choose from. Perhaps, you may be able to make a more informed decision?

Thanks for your reply Matthews1127! He offered one other stone before this but the price was around 22k and I rejected it as it was above JA prices. Am I wrong to assume sourcing directly from South Africa is cheaper than buying online?

I've asked him to try and find other options but he seems to insist that this stone is beautiful. idk if its bc he doesn't have much knowledge on stones or he is doing his best to convince me to get it sold...

I've attached the previous stone´s report.

2dde8073-5576-490a-bedd-678ed382f732.JPG

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply xx

Mcrzt

Rough_Rock
I agree with Matthew also that feather is very noticeable on the stone. It would be a pass for me. o_O

Hi Luce,

Thanks for replying :) the jeweler insists that the stone is eye clean but I´d hate flying hours to see it and notice the feather! He insists its a white inclusion and deep into the stone, I just don't know if the advice is genuine or if they're just trying to sell the stone.

I´ll wait for other options!

Mcrzt

Rough_Rock
It does look like that’s a huge feather running near the girdle ... but I would pass on that diamond mainly because the polish and symmetry are only “very good” ... indicating that the cut is not so great.

What does the polish refer to? and how does it affect the appearance of the diamond. I was also wondering about the medium blue fluorescent and D color combined as I've read online the it could make the stone look cloudy/oily...

One curious thing is that it wasn't found on the HCA tool and the GIA doesn't show a crown angle or Pavillon angle so I wasn't able to enter them to the HCA tool manually either.

Sorry for the many questions I'm a newbie :)

Mcrzt

Rough_Rock
Do you know what nice ovals look like? I'd be hesitant to work with someone that could only provide me with 1 stone. His price looks equivalent to James Allen
but it is no great deal. I wish you had a better up-close, straight on image of the stone so we could have a better look at the faceting pattern. Would be nice
to know if it had good light return and minimal "mush".

Hi tyty333,

Thanks for replying!

To be honest im not sure what makes a nice oval stone. Could you help me out with some links or maybe a short list of requirements to look out for?

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nope, I wouldn’t fly out to see the jeweler, too much pressure to buy since you flew all the way out there to see 1 stone! $17,500 is nothing to sneeze at, I would take my time. Have you reached out to PS preferred vendors such as ID Jewelry or August Vintage Inc? Check out the August Vintage Opulence line and review the videos. And did this jeweler send you videos of the diamond and an ASET? On the Enchanted Diamond website you can Read more info of what an ASET for Oval diamonds.

Also you can enter a search at the top with ‘how to select an oval’ You can find threads already that will help like this one: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/selecting-an-oval-diamond-for-engagement-ring.233166/
Hope this helps!
-C4C

ctsamg

Rough_Rock
I don't think that is the wisdom most share here. Polish especially is not an indication of cute

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For fancies vg polish is just fine and even sometimes good is ok if its on a small facet.
For fancies vg symmetry is just fine and good or even lower can work ok depending on which facet(s) and how much.
Fancies because of now the facets run are a lot harder to get EX/EX sym/polish than with an RB.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't ever fly to a jeweler to see 1 stone. No way. Especially not someone who isn't a trusted vendor on these boards. I'd look at all the places we usually recommend first. It sounds like he's just trying to make a sale, which is silly.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think that is the wisdom most share here. Polish especially is not an indication of cute

While I didn’t know about what KarlK mentioned about fancies, polish is actually one of the components in cut grading. While it may not be an “indication of cut” in the way that you mean it, it is a component of cut.

“GIA evaluates a round brilliant diamond's cut based on seven components – brightness, fire, scintillation, weight ratio, durability, polish and symmetry – to arrive at a GIA diamond cut grade, which ranges from Excellent to Poor”

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does the polish refer to? and how does it affect the appearance of the diamond. I was also wondering about the medium blue fluorescent and D color combined as I've read online the it could make the stone look cloudy/oily...

One curious thing is that it wasn't found on the HCA tool and the GIA doesn't show a crown angle or Pavillon angle so I wasn't able to enter them to the HCA tool manually either.

Sorry for the many questions I'm a newbie :)

The HCA tool is only used for Round Brilliants.
An ASET image and Ideal Scope image, as well as a lot of videos of the stone in different light environments, and at all angles will assist you, when buying online, or from afar.
Those above tools are best to help anyone purchasing without being given the opportunity to view/examine a diamond with the naked eye.
I agree with a lot of the suggestions, here, to look into other options with August Vintage (the Opulence Oval is to die for, and the ONLY ideal cut Oval on the market, at present), Diamonds By Lauren (they have beautiful selection of fancy cut stones, including ovals), and IDJ.
There is a TON of useful info about ovals, here. If you go to the search bar, and type in Oval Cut Diamonds, you’ll enter a whole new universe to help answer questions you may have....or questions you may not even think to ask!!
I’d back off of this vendor; his willingness to push you to purchase a stone you’re not “sold” on causes me to pause....

Mcrzt

Rough_Rock
Nope, I wouldn’t fly out to see the jeweler, too much pressure to buy since you flew all the way out there to see 1 stone! $17,500 is nothing to sneeze at, I would take my time. Have you reached out to PS preferred vendors such as ID Jewelry or August Vintage Inc? Check out the August Vintage Opulence line and review the videos. And did this jeweler send you videos of the diamond and an ASET? On the Enchanted Diamond website you can Read more info of what an ASET for Oval diamonds.

Also you can enter a search at the top with ‘how to select an oval’ You can find threads already that will help like this one: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/selecting-an-oval-diamond-for-engagement-ring.233166/
Hope this helps!
-C4C

Thanks C4C, I`ll take a look at those!

Mcrzt

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't ever fly to a jeweler to see 1 stone. No way. Especially not someone who isn't a trusted vendor on these boards. I'd look at all the places we usually recommend first. It sounds like he's just trying to make a sale, which is silly.

Yes I´ll stick to recommended vendor, its always better to go with your gut and something has been telling me not to fly! Thanks for the reply :)

Mcrzt

Rough_Rock
The HCA tool is only used for Round Brilliants.
An ASET image and Ideal Scope image, as well as a lot of videos of the stone in different light environments, and at all angles will assist you, when buying online, or from afar.
Those above tools are best to help anyone purchasing without being given the opportunity to view/examine a diamond with the naked eye.
I agree with a lot of the suggestions, here, to look into other options with August Vintage (the Opulence Oval is to die for, and the ONLY ideal cut Oval on the market, at present), Diamonds By Lauren (they have beautiful selection of fancy cut stones, including ovals), and IDJ.
There is a TON of useful info about ovals, here. If you go to the search bar, and type in Oval Cut Diamonds, you’ll enter a whole new universe to help answer questions you may have....or questions you may not even think to ask!!
I’d back off of this vendor; his willingness to push you to purchase a stone you’re not “sold” on causes me to pause....

Ahh I see, I didn't realize it was only for RBs hehe. I´ll start looking at other options from your list and take it from there! Wish me luck :)

PS: it really sucks that vendors try to make money off less knowledgable clients. The should realize that the internet is a really powerful tool for consumers and its only a matter of a few clicks to get a much better deal or honest advice.

Thank you so much for your help, you've saved me money, time and air miles haha

M xx

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh I see, I didn't realize it was only for RBs hehe. I´ll start looking at other options from your list and take it from there! Wish me luck :)

PS: it really sucks that vendors try to make money off less knowledgable clients. The should realize that the internet is a really powerful tool for consumers and its only a matter of a few clicks to get a much better deal or honest advice.

Thank you so much for your help, you've saved me money, time and air miles haha

M xx

Diamond dust for a successful, and reasonable purchase!! Can’t wait to see what you choose!
If you need help evaluating any options, don’t hesitate to ask!!! :mrgreen2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so nice looking ovals. You want to get as much good light return out of the center of the stone. This stone has good light return. As the stone
rotates you want more nice facets lighting up down towards the rounded ends.
big area oval.PNG
This is more a typical oval
2 carat oval with blue.png
This stone mush in blue (try to minimize the mush).
( oval 121.PNG

Ovals come in 4, 6, 8 and 10 main stones. (Look at the pavilion/back side plots). They have slightly different flavors. Find what you like best.
August Vintage makes an oval that has Ideal light return (10 main). They dont have any that fit in your budget though.
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ucts/2-04ct-f-si1-august-vintage-oval-1436642
Polish and Symmetry of Very Good is fine for fancy cuts...there are other things that are more important.

I check James Allen but didnt really see any that I thought had good light return and were clean (clarity).

Blue Nile - floods their stones with light so they tend to look better than other sites (keep that in mind that the light is the difference). These stones
may be listed at other sides for less money so if you are interested in any of them we would need to check the other sites.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD11724626
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD11883819

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results