shape
carat
color
clarity

In dire need of the communities expertise in hunting a Diamond for an engagment.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more idea. Give HighPerformanceDiamonds a call. See if they have a G or nice white H, eyeclean SI2 in the pipeline (they may have more options than the website shows) in your size goal in your budget. Clarity is a big driver of cost and you might be lucky. If HPD says its eyeclean, I would be 100% confident.

@Wink and @LaylaR are both long-time PS contributers and are the owner and employee, respectively, of HPD.

1-800-524-7904
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just FYI, I have 1.27 ct H VS2 ACA studs from Whiteflash. I do always ask about where a diamond falls in a color range, and WF has always been honest with me.

See, not low H or yellow!
1 WF1.27.1.28ACAs2.jpg 2.55ctwHVS2studsWF2017h.jpg

Wow, those look great! Its not the same as what GOG had sent to me when they compared a AGS H to a GIA H and an I. It was definitely warmer in color which made me not purchase the diamond. This is really helpful and makes me hopeful that the diamond from WF may actually meet my expectations.

One more idea. Give HighPerformanceDiamonds a call. See if they have a G or nice white H, eyeclean SI2 in the pipeline (they may have more options than the website shows) in your size goal in your budget. Clarity is a big driver of cost and you might be lucky. If HPD says its eyeclean, I would be 100% confident.

@Wink and @LaylaR are both long-time PS contributers and are the owner and employee, respectively, of HPD.

1-800-524-7904
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/

Thank you Rocky, I will do this tomorrow morning. I am about to leave work, and I cannot do any "diamond shopping" work at home or my GF will notice.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4531548.jpg Now as in this moment? No no no, lol sorry if I made that impression. If now as in the next week or two, yes definitely.

I received this (picture above) from JA for the diamond I had placed on hold $8,710 (Non bank wire). $8,380 for Advantage price for Pricescope members
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4531548
That looks solid! Keep it on hold while you run down HPD and any other last ones so you can be totally sure. But, you have one solid contender now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is totally fine on that JA stone. It was the clarity that I didn't like. :)

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm very much in the if you can't see it with the naked eye, I don't care it's there group.

If the gemologist is happy with the JA stone, it's a great option for your desired stats. If you want to upgrade later, WF/HPD.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just receievd photos from the AGS H 1.24 diamond from WF. It more closely resembles a GIA H, if not maybe even a high GIA I. It may be my eyes, or may be the photos, but it does look slightly warmer than the GIA H even from the top view. This one is at the top of my budget at $9,000

As for the JA stone, they said they will give it to me for $8,380 JA 1.30 GIA G diamond. JA said the diamond is located overseas and they cannot have a gemologist inspect it. The person whom I chatted with just said it is very clean. I do not think there is a way to determine if it is eye clean or not. As DS has stated, clarity is the question here.

I hate to say it, but neither one makes me feel like it is the one. The diamond from WF would be worth my top budget had it not been for the warm hue I am seeing

I am attaching the photos of the 1.24 AGS H diamond from WF. Opinions are welcome! They are both on hold until 5PM EST SBS_1.27-1.242-1.20.jpg TRAY_1.27-1.242-1.20.jpg

Last edited:

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So I wanted to share this as well. But in a discrete manner in hopes to prevent any "lurkers" from snatching this up.

I chatted with a sales person from a very reputable website that has been thrown around here. This vendor has a Diamond coming in for the price that is slightly above $9,000.
It is a 1.3 GIA G VS2. HCA score is excellent. THe diamond will not arrive in their inventory until early of next week. It wont be until then that they can verify if the Diamond is eye clean.

GIA report attached. Decide to leave out the GIA number. I believe the sales person told me that the inclusions are under the table.

130 VS.png

Attachments

• 130 VS.png
    130 VS.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 12

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just receievd photos from the AGS H 1.24 diamond from WF. It more closely resembles a GIA H, if not maybe even a high GIA I. It may be my eyes, or may be the photos, but it does look slightly warmer than the GIA H even from the top view. This one is at the top of my budget at $9,000

As for the JA stone, they said they will give it to me for $8,380 JA 1.30 GIA G diamond. JA said the diamond is located overseas and they cannot have a gemologist inspect it. The person whom I chatted with just said it is very clean. I do not think there is a way to determine if it is eye clean or not. As DS has stated, clarity is the question here.

I hate to say it, but neither one makes me feel like it is the one. The diamond from WF would be worth my top budget had it not been for the warm hue I am seeing

I am attaching the photos of the 1.24 AGS H diamond from WF. Opinions are welcome! They are both on hold until 5PM EST SBS_1.27-1.242-1.20.jpg TRAY_1.27-1.242-1.20.jpg

I don’t know what the environment is like that WF takes those images, but I can say that I’ve seen the same exact yellow/green/brown color in some facets in just about every one I’ve seen from them - my own included. I think what that is from is something in the surroundings where the pics are being taken that the diamonds are picking up. I do not think you would see those colors in person unless your surroundings mimic what is in WF’s location. I would ask WF to comment on that - if that’s what you’re ‘worried’ about - and see what they say. My bet is - it is not diamond color visible face-up to the naked eye (since I can only see color in the girdle in the side pics), and is the result of something else reflecting in the area pics are being taken.

I remember mentally preparing myself to hate my WF-K when I ordered it, expecting it to look like a raw oyster. In fact, it was gorgeous and faced up almost too ‘white’ for my preferences.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I wanted to share this as well. But in a discrete manner in hopes to prevent any "lurkers" from snatching this up.

I chatted with a sales person from a very reputable website that has been thrown around here. This vendor has a Diamond coming in for the price that is slightly above $9,000.
It is a 1.3 GIA G VS2. HCA score is excellent. THe diamond will not arrive in their inventory until early of next week. It wont be until then that they can verify if the Diamond is eye clean.

GIA report attached. Decide to leave out the GIA number. I believe the sales person told me that the inclusions are under the table.

130 VS.png

The proportions look good but these are rounded averages. The stone you dismissed previously with leakage also looked perfect on paper alone. Is the diamond superideal? Without pictures difficult to say. What have you decided to do?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being a GIA stone (1.3 G VS2), I don't think it's superideal. I think it looks worth considering, but I personally don't prefer 80 lower girdle facets. I like wider facets and generally would buy 76-78. But that is being super picky, I know. We need to see clarity and an ASET image.

I can see the slight color difference in the photos of the WF stone and the GIA H, but H is a color range and even within GIA graded stones, some will be whiter than others within a grade. I can't compare my ACA H colored stones to that one, obviously, but mine definitely face up white. I prefer that stone because of cut, but it's so hard to determine color without physically seeing it.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The AGS/GIA differences in H are minimal to me from the photo, yes present but very nitpicking. The GIA 80% is somewhat a useless 5% rounded figure, so as DS mentioned, photos are especially important.

@DS, I'm hoping it might be WF premium select stone..

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Being a GIA stone (1.3 G VS2), I don't think it's superideal. I think it looks worth considering, but I personally don't prefer 80 lower girdle facets. I like wider facets and generally would buy 76-78. But that is being super picky.

The GIA 80% is somewhat a useless 5% rounded figure, so as DS mentioned, photos are especially important...

As someone who is trying to learn, in layman’s terms. What does this mean?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lower girdle facets control the width of the arrows. I pasted below some examples WELL out of your range, but they were handy examples...because why not post 5.5+ carats to look at for educational purposes? :mrgreen2:

75% LGF
upload_2018-4-7_15-40-13.png
80% LGF
upload_2018-4-7_15-40-52.png

GIA measures each of the angels on each facets and then rounds them. So, you are seeing the average (but not the range or variation). So, even within GIA 3x, you have have a wide range around the average. So, it can be a bit squishier than AGS.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
FE23D0C2-4D91-4AFE-B991-434168BAD63A.jpeg Hi everyone,

I went to Shane Co. not to make a purchase but to get my eyes on a few diamonds; more specifically I wanted to look and compare colors ranging from G to I. I know I've been indecisive with the color grade, so I wanted to clear that out of my mind. Well I did that, but at the same time Shane Co pointed me out to a specific diamond. I know Shane Co and these diamond retailers are a big no. But I wanted to make sure with you all whether or not this diamond is strong consideration or not.

So the retail price was for about $11,500. However, I was very honest with them and told them I just came here to compare diamond colors which they were respectful in doing. They didnt push me into buying. Anyways, I did placethe diamond on hold (just in case). They lowered the price to $9,120 sales tax of $800 which makes this diamond nearly $10,000. Way over my budget. (which leads me to my second question. When purchasing online do they charge sales tax?)

The HCA score is nice. I did ask for a ideal scope or ASET but they did not have any. So I took a picture of the GIA report shown in the attach.

I did inspect the diamond (indoor) it did perform well, it is eye clean. But again I have an untrained eye. They do have an in-house gemologist. Anyways, can you please spend a minute to see if this is a good consideration for its price?

As for the color grade confusion I had, I will say that I am a definite no on I color grade, but I will consider a strong H color. At least I got that settled with

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of flat-top diamonds. 32.5 crown angle with 12.5% crown height combined with the table being larger than the depth would make this a no for me.

Most importantly, this diamond is outside of your (already inched up) budget. That in itself would make it a hard no for me.

And yes, you will pay state sales tax in stores, but not online (providing the vendor doesn't have a physical location in your state).

Your mission was successful, in that you have determined your tolerance for color.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of flat-top diamonds. 32.5 crown angle with 12.5% crown height combined with the table being larger than the depth would make this a no for me.

Most importantly, this diamond is outside of your (already inched up) budget. That in itself would make it a hard no for me.

And yes, you will pay state sales tax in stores, but not online (providing the vendor doesn't have a physical location in your state).

Your mission was successful, in that you have determined your tolerance for color.

As I suspected. I just thought I’d share anyways. For my knowledge can I ask why flat tops are a no. Is it a preference thing or does it pose some kind of major flaw

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to see a crown from the side - flat tops will be - well - flat. Also crown angle and height contribute to creating dispersion - or fire - which also I like to see. (*My preferences are not facts, but options)

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They favour white return but are lacking in fire compared to proportions you've seen discussed more commonly.
That stone is a 60:60 style, but even within 60:60 there are better proportions.

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/60-60-diamonds-1503.htm

You have some good options now. Additionally the vendors have excellent return policies so it's pretty risk free.

The combination with 32.5 crown with 61 table leaves you with a very shallow crown height, making this is a firm no for me.

Additionally the jewellery store lights will make fire out of any diamond, don't base your judgement based on what looked nice under the halogen lights!

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you both. Those are good notes to have. I've contacted Winkz and Layla, they are helping me search for a diamond. Hopefully I find something soon!

As always, if you happen to have spare time, I would still appreciate suggestions.

One thing I did learn from the Shane Co visit is that I am pretty set on a G or a high H. an I color is a definite no. But also I realized that a 1.20 Carat diamond is still appealing in size.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally I feel that JA stone seems to tick all your boxes (unless you want the option for upgrading in the future), and appears very clean to me in the video (including the feather), I doubt you would see the inclusions. With a gemologist able to examine prior to shipping and a free returns policy, it seems the safest bet right now being a GIA G.

Best of luck to you and please do update us on how you get on.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Personally I feel that JA stone seems to tick all your boxes (unless you want the option for upgrading in the future), and appears very clean to me in the video (including the feather), I doubt you would see the inclusions. With a gemologist able to examine prior to shipping and a free returns policy, it seems the safest bet right now being a GIA G.

Best of luck to you and please do update us on how you get on.

I released the hold on the JA stone, and have just chatted with them. They do not seem to no longer see it in their virtual inventory. I released the hold because there seems to be a split in the suggestions I've receive concerning its clarity. And if I remember correctly, JA could not have a gemologist's opinion on it

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I released the hold on the JA stone, and have just chatted with them. They do not seem to no longer see it in their virtual inventory. I released the hold because there seems to be a split in the suggestions I've receive concerning its clarity. And if I remember correctly, JA could not have a gemologist's opinion on it

When JA say they cannot have a gemologist opinion, usually they mean prior to purchasing. In that instance, you can pay the full amount but require a gemologist review prior to shipping. If there's a problem they refund the full amount prior to shipping.

I agree there was a split in thoughts on charity, but the best way, like you did with colour, is to see lots of diamonds in person of varying clarity, and calibrate your own tolerance.

With regards to the above stone, it is a very good performer, with reasonable optical symmetry. The inclusions appear black and clustered together, those would be a possibly bigger issue for me then the other one, but again, check with someone that can examine the stone in hand, to your definition of eye clean (not just looks good from 12 inches for example).

It's worth noting the stone is quite painted on the crown.
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/visible_effects_painting_digging_superideal_diamonds

Last edited:

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone, sorry I am revisiting this.

I just got the diamond inspected by a JA gemologist. I am pasting the message I have below.

"... is an eye clean diamond facing up a very white "G" color. To the trained gemologist's eye the presence of fluorescence actually boosts the overall color to make it appear closer to a D-E. The light performance and brilliance of this diamond is nothing short of ideal, with excellent fire and sparkle. The strong fluorescence does cause a slight haze to the diamond, but per the gemologist this would only be noticeable to the trained eye and the color benefit outweighs this slight impact. All around this is a dazzling diamond!"

The bolded area does concern me. I did chat with a JA employee, she told me that they are typically more direct if this was generating a cloudy or milky look.

[Edit] Sorry I just realize I may have posted in the wrong thread.
This is in regards to my purchase of: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4662181

GIA #5286449581

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone, sorry I am revisiting this.

I just got the diamond inspected by a JA gemologist. I am pasting the message I have below.

"... is an eye clean diamond facing up a very white "G" color. To the trained gemologist's eye the presence of fluorescence actually boosts the overall color to make it appear closer to a D-E. The light performance and brilliance of this diamond is nothing short of ideal, with excellent fire and sparkle. The strong fluorescence does cause a slight haze to the diamond, but per the gemologist this would only be noticeable to the trained eye and the color benefit outweighs this slight impact. All around this is a dazzling diamond!"

The bolded area does concern me. I did chat with a JA employee, she told me that they are typically more direct if this was generating a cloudy or milky look.

[Edit] Sorry I just realize I may have posted in the wrong thread.
This is in regards to my purchase of: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4662181

GIA #5286449581
I am super skeptical of their comment regarding flouro. I have had multiple diamonds with strong flouro one even with very strong. Diamonds with flouro might have a different hue when viewed in direct sunlight, but haziness in most cases is caused due to clouds and other inclusions in heavily included diamonds. Your particular diamond looks amazing and very transparent, I doubt that you will be able to see any haziness at all!

Edit: Agree with @Snowdrop13 , medium flouro is absolutely nothing to worry about! One of the side diamonds in my three stone ring has flouro, unless I am checking with UV light, there is no way to tell which one. Please ignore JAs comment, the diamond is spectacular at a great price!

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA cert says “medium” for the fluo?? I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that it was usually “very strong” or “strong” that were likely to cause issues? Hopefully someone expert will explain!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results