shape
carat
color
clarity

In dire need of the communities expertise in hunting a Diamond for an engagment.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Greetings, it is I once again.

Last week, I had the help of the community to chose a diamond from a list along with links of various diamonds that may be worthy of a purchase. The consensus chose one of the 10 Diamonds I had link that was a terrific purchase, while the other 9 were nothing I should consider. Unfortunately, after a hiatus, the diamond was purchased before the online retailer was able to order it from the ware house.

Now I am here, with nothing. I do not have a list this time so I am back to square one. I am truly apologetic for asking this favor once again as I know that it takes time. But I could use the expertise of you diamond hunters.

I missed out on this Diamond for $8017 https://imgur.com/a/nzpUp I understand this was a terrific priced diamond and I do not expect to find something similar in that price range once again. However I am hopeful.

Once again here are the specifications as well as my budget:
Budget for Diamond: $7,500 - $8,500
Budget for Ring setting: $1,500 - $2,000
Total Budget: $10,000
Carats: Ideally 1.40. Can go 1.30 to compromise in Color, Clarity, Symmetry.
Clarity: Will sacrifice clarity to meet budget. Must be eye clean. Targeting an SI grade to (maximize budget) for an eye clean diamond.
Cut: Round - From what I am told must be ideal or excellent
Color: Ideally an H, but I know my budget may not be enough. I'd conider an "I" color. I've seen J color and saw some discoloration.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only found one 1.3 ct in your budget with your specs when searching WF (which notes to inquire re: eye clean status, which is surprising considering it is an ACA), and I’m including a few <1.3 ct - all are ACA (super ideals) except one which is WF’s ‘Expert Selection’, meaning is probably narrowly missed ACA branding. If you are interested in that particular diamond, be sure to ask WF to advise on the knot inclusion and what if any risk it poses. I don’t think they’d put it in their ES line (meaning it can be returned for a trade/upgrade later) if they thought it was a bad knot, but best to ask them.

Here they are, lined up for comparison:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3942012,3872128,3963067,3702264,3935938

ETA: I checked HPD for CBIs, but didn’t find any in budget.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As far as I know , yellow fluorescence in colorless diamond is a kiss of death :x2 it will make the stone even more yellow !

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know , yellow fluorescence in colorless diamond is a kiss of death :x2 it will make the stone even more yellow !

That is good to know; I was not aware of that so thank you for chiming in! :wavey:

I’ll update my post quick to note ‘ignore’ but keep the stone listed so as not to create confusion on this post and what stone was referenced.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this! Great find. I would absolutely trust goodoldgold to give an honest opinion of this SI2. Maybe a better finding than the one you missed out on in my opinion.

also:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-3675649

Why thank you!
Disco_Fever_Dance_Inferno.gif

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also wanted to include these. B2C "aplogized" for the inconvenience and had offered to send me a few suggestions that they felt are similar to the previous diamond I had missed out on.

1) 1.35 I-VS1 $7,266
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/9581940/Round-diamond-I-color-VS1-clarity

2) 1.39 I-VS2 $7,461
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11330505/Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-clarity

3) 1.35 I-VS2 $7,193
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/10996189/Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-clarity

4) 1.35 I-VS2 $7,444
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11276557/Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-clarity

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1 and 2 are not well cut, 3 and 4 are potentials but not good numbers as the others suggested. I would honestly discuss with GOG the superideal HSi2 and get them to send you a video and comment on it's clarity.

Last edited:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a No from me for all of those except possibly the last the 1.35 I VS2, but I'd definitely want an ASEt or IS image.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond...GS--SI2-diamond-stock-16522-cert-104074746011

These might be suitable if verified eye clean to your specifications by the vendors with the stones in hand. I'm very sorry that happened to you but we'll help you find something else.

Love this! Great find. I would absolutely trust goodoldgold to give an honest opinion of this SI2. Maybe a better finding than the one you missed out on in my opinion.

also:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-3675649

Will attempt to contact them as soon as I can TY!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd get on it ASAP now it's out on the forums, just in case it gets snagged....

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
1 and 2 are not well cut, 3 and 4 are potentials but not good numbers as the others suggested. I would honestly discuss with GOG the superideal HSi2 and get them to send you a video and comment on it's clarity.

I'd get on it ASAP now it's out on the forums, just in case it gets snagged....

From GOG:

Good Old Gold
So the sun is setting, so I didn't have the perfect light to view it, but so far the diamond looked 100% eye clean to me. This is very rare for an SI2!

Good Old Gold
Ok, so far with my eyes and even under a microscope, the diamond looks very promising!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The F is a great find as well, though the inclusions look somewhat denser. Get them to compare the two. I think I have a video of the F somewhere where a friend was looking. The consensus was it was eye clean but on very very close observation (for a person really going for it) one of the clouds was visible towards the crown.

I personally prefer the clarity of the the H but they are the best to comment on it and see if they can do a side by side comparison video.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The F is a great find as well, though the inclusions look somewhat denser. Get them to compare the two. I think I have a video of the F somewhere where a friend was looking. The consensus was it was eye clean but on very very close observation (for a person really going for it) one of the clouds was visible towards the crown.

I personally prefer the clarity of the the H but they are the best to comment on it and see if they can do a side by side comparison video.

From GOG:
#14966 (The F color) has a faint cloud that is slightly noticeable. Regarding inclusions, so far #16522 is the winner

I am placing #16522 (H) color on hold
Is there a pricescope referral / coupon?

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think a superideal H will look very white, and to the average consumer they should not detect any tint, which is aided by the great light return of a good cut.

An F would be nice, but something has to give. I find clouds most noticeable in bright sunlight. H is the sensible option, F is the adventurous one, but for me I'd go with the safe but brilliant H.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think a superideal H will look very white, and to the average consumer they should not detect any tint, which is aided by the great light return of a good cut.

An F would be nice, but something has to give. I find clouds most noticeable in bright sunlight. H is the sensible option, F is the adventurous one, but for me I'd go with the safe but brilliant H.

It is reserved. My concern is that I've been told a AGS graded diamond may come out to be a bit discolored. Since this is an AGS H graded diamond I am afraid this may look like a GIA "J" diamond which I would like to avoid

I guess from here on out I am open to opinions and suggestions regarding the diamond. Please do feel free to comment. I would appreciate it!

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond...GS--SI2-diamond-stock-16522-cert-104074746011

Last edited:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I doubt it will be a GIA J. You are buying from a superideal vendor so they will honestly answer your concerns. Just note nobody can see the diamond as they have taken down the link since you reserved it.

You can ask them to kindly compare to other GIA H diamonds and comment on whether it is a high or a low H.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is reserved. My concern is that I've been told a AGS graded diamond may come out to be a bit discolored. Since this is an AGS H graded diamond I am afraid this may look like a GIA "J" diamond which I would like to avoid

I guess from here on out I am open to opinions and suggestions regarding the diamond. Please do feel free to comment. I would appreciate it!

In my experience, I find that the difference between AGS and GIA on color is really at the edges of each color range, and likely only notable at I and below IMHO. So, an AGS low J, might be a GIA K. In higher colors, I have not personally detected a color differential, although I have observed a smaller pool or high colors.

Since you are working with GoG, ask them to show you stone next to a GIA H and I from the top and side.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In my experience, I find that the difference between AGS and GIA on color is really at the edges of each color range, and likely only notable at I and below IMHO. So, an AGS low J, might be a GIA K. In higher colors, I have not personally detected a color differential, although I have observed a smaller pool or high colors.

Since you are working with GoG, ask them to show you stone next to a GIA H and I from the top and side.

Will do, thank you. They will get back to me tomorrow.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here is one David had asked me to ask for your opinions.

$6800
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2276467740
1.45ct I color, SI2, triple X, HCA score 0.7
David did mention that there are some sprinkles on the table, however it is eye clean.
There is a main issue at the girdle area but the prong can cover this.
729 x 723, he did say it is large and shiny.
I did not find a video or picture online using the GIA number

Thoughts? Personally, just by that information I would prefer to sacrifice the size for quality. But, wow the price. especially if DK says its eye clean and issue can be covered by prong

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one David had asked me to ask for your opinions.

$6800
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2276467740
1.45ct I color, SI2, triple X, HCA score 0.7
David did mention that there are some sprinkles on the table, however it is eye clean.
There is a main issue at the girdle area but the prong can cover this.
729 x 723, he did say it is large and shiny.
I did not find a video or picture online using the GIA number

Thoughts? Personally, just by that information I would prefer to sacrifice the size for quality.
The angles are fantastic! As long as David says its eyeclean and the girdle can be covered, I'd go for it personally.

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The angles are fantastic! As long as David says its eyeclean and the girdle can be covered, I'd go for it personally.

So it is between this and the stone from GOG. I will wait on GOG to get back to me tomorrow. If the AGS H compares fairly well to a GIA H. I may go for the GOG diamond. But I must admit $6,800 sounds rather nice!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it is between this and the stone from GOG. I will wait on GOG to get back to me tomorrow. If the AGS H compares fairly well to a GIA H. I may go for the GOG diamond
It is a bit of apples and pears. The GoG is a super-ideal cut. It will have greater precision and documented performance. The DK stone looks to have great angles, but to fairly compare these, you should ask for an ASET on the DK stone.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks very promising as well. Price is very alluring.

Can david share photos / idealscope?

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
So...., I have a thread up about that GoG H SI2 that I posted earlier today, and I asked them to put a hold on it for me which they did before I posted. I really don’t want to make any waves, but it seems I technically did it before the OP asked to reserve it, (if you look at the time posted) and as I read this message after it happened and I was keeping close tabs on the message board to see replies to my post. I did send a message to GoG to try to clear it up but it is after hours so will have to wait. I just don’t want it to seem like I snagged it out from under the OP when that is not what happened. I understand misunderstandings can happen and I hope it can be resolved satisfactorily. I want to keep posting about my future ring so didn’t want there to be any confusion, sorry to stir things up a bit!:(2

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
I realized I sounded like I think i should have first dibs on the stone, and I don’t want to assume anything. I guess we’ll have to see what happened on their end, and go from there. Who knew diamond searching could be this stressful?:(2 =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results