shape
carat
color
clarity

Imitation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 8:01:36 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 1/7/2009 7:20:05 PM

I did read some past posts. SG did recommend Ari at Singlestone to a a poster that was looking for a vintage ring. She also said in her post to the person seeking advice that if they don't have what you are looking for they can make it for you. They do great work....

So it's fine to do a reproduction of a ring, just so long as it isn't hers??

I am not meaning to open a can of worms, just thought it was interesting....
5.gif
This post was missed. Can I quote myself?? LOL. But to me it's a good point.

A very good point!

I made a point that was missed(I thought it was good)--can I quote myself too? Or will that make me a copy cat!??
39.gif

3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 8:12:36 PM
Author: coatimundi
I did read some past posts. SG did recommend Ari at Singlestone to a a poster that was looking for a vintage ring. She also said in her post to the person seeking advice that if they don''t have what you are looking for they can make it for you. They do great work....

So it''s fine to do a reproduction of a ring, just so long as it isn''t hers??

5.gif
This post was missed. Can I quote myself?? LOL. But to me it''s a good point.
A very good point!

I made a point that was missed(I thought it was good)--can I quote myself too? Or will that make me a copy cat!??
39.gif

3.gif
It happens to us all from time to time...
39.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

I did read some past posts. SG did recommend Ari at Singlestone to a a poster that was looking for a vintage ring. She also said in her post to the person seeking advice that if they don''t have what you are looking for they can make it for you. They do great work....

5.gif

A very good point!

39.gif

3.gif
LOL, quote your good point Coats. hehe

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

5.gif

A very good point!

39.gif

3.gif
Please do, I want to read it!!!!
1.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 6:48:53 PM
Date: 1/8/2009 5:11:41 PM

Author: ringster

=

3) There is a difference between being inspired by a ring and making an EXACT copy. The issue here was with EXACT copying SG's ring and not that the ring was inspired by SG's ring. Let's be clear here, PT's ring is an EXACT copy of SG's ring and not an inspiration ring.

I disagree about it being an EXACT copy. SG's ring has a transitional cut stone. PT's is OEC. The center stones are also different sizes which creates different proportions. If you look at the pieces with the scrutiny of the average PS'er, the differences are there.

As I wrote earlier, some ps'ers/lurkers are in the process of making 'my' one-of-a-kind ring, and it doesn't hurt my ego one bit, because that's what this is about, after all...ego.

Since we haven't heard from SG, it's all conjecture anyway. Do we know that Ari didn't contact her?

I'm beyond disappointed in the criticism of Ari. There are 2 sides to every story.

Here it is! hahahaha

Thank you Kaleigh and Skippy!
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 7:51:10 PM

Date: 1/8/2009 7:42:24 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I imagine there are quite a few of us with pictures of SG''s ring saved in our computers. I have a folder with rings and settings I either really like or often recommend to people interested in a certain kind of setting.

I have a folder too...
I think a lot of us have folders of our favorite rings.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock

5.gif
It wasn''t missed; I had noticed the same thing myself earlier that day but hadn''t said anything. You made the post later in the evening, and I think it was largely missed. That''s why I mentioned it in my last post.

You are right - Parrot took the photos to SS, most likely because several posters here have recommended SS for months to make antique reproductions. In fact, SG herself made this very same recommendation herself less than two weeks ago to another PSer who said she wanted to reproduce the ring of *her* dreams which was no longer available. (Sound familiar?) https://www.pricescope.com/communit...tion-recommendations-in-new-york-city.103296/. So, is it only ok to reproduce rings as long as they aren''t hers?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 8:19:21 PM

Date: 1/8/2009 6:48:53 PM

Date: 1/8/2009 5:11:41 PM

Author: ringster

=

3) There is a difference between being inspired by a ring and making an EXACT copy. The issue here was with EXACT copying SG''s ring and not that the ring was inspired by SG''s ring. Let''s be clear here, PT''s ring is an EXACT copy of SG''s ring and not an inspiration ring.

I disagree about it being an EXACT copy. SG''s ring has a transitional cut stone. PT''s is OEC. The center stones are also different sizes which creates different proportions. If you look at the pieces with the scrutiny of the average PS''er, the differences are there.

As I wrote earlier, some ps''ers/lurkers are in the process of making ''my'' one-of-a-kind ring, and it doesn''t hurt my ego one bit, because that''s what this is about, after all...ego.

Since we haven''t heard from SG, it''s all conjecture anyway. Do we know that Ari didn''t contact her?

I''m beyond disappointed in the criticism of Ari. There are 2 sides to every story.

Here it is! hahahaha

Thank you Kaleigh and Skippy!
35.gif
Very True; I kept thinking hers was a transitional cut and they are different sizes of stones, etc.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have created a beast.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 8:23:24 PM
Author: Harriet
I have created a beast.
Nope, we are having good discussions. I am learning a lot.
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 8:34:06 PM

I have created a beast.
2.gif

I''m learning a lot too. Really been thinking about why this sort of thing bothers folks. I think that we are all inherently territorial, but it''s interesting to me that someone would want to claim ownership of someone else''s intellectual property. I understand being territorial about your own work, but not found objects--to me, that''s all ego.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What an enormous relief that I should never have to worry that anyone would want to copy my cartoonishy large (barf) radiant (double barf) ring. Whew!
9.gif
11.gif
41.gif
20.gif

cheers--Sharon

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 9:16:05 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

What an enormous relief that I should never have to worry that anyone would want to copy my cartoonishy large (barf) radiant (double barf) ring. Whew!
9.gif
11.gif
41.gif
20.gif

cheers--Sharon

Ha! You know I''d copy that cartoonishly large ring of yours in a heartbeat! Your diamond is my radiant''s (triple barf?) big sis!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 8:19:34 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 1/8/2009 7:51:10 PM

Date: 1/8/2009 7:42:24 PM

Author: diamondseeker2006

I imagine there are quite a few of us with pictures of SG's ring saved in our computers. I have a folder with rings and settings I either really like or often recommend to people interested in a certain kind of setting.

I have a folder too...
I think a lot of us have folders of our favorite rings.

I don't have a folder, does this mean I have to revoke my membership?
6.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/8/2009 9:27:02 PM
Author: Deelight

I don''t have a folder, does this mean I have to revoke my membership?

You''re out.

Deb
34.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Haha, Deelight, I was thinking the same thing... ;-)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 9:24:49 PM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 1/8/2009 9:16:05 PM

HI:

9.gif
11.gif
41.gif
20.gif

cheers--Sharon

Ha! You know I''d copy that cartoonishly large ring of yours in a heartbeat! Your diamond is my radiant''s (triple barf?) big sis!

Barfy McBarf--give them to me! Both of yous!

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 8:45:01 PM

I have created a beast.
2.gif

I'm learning a lot too. Really been thinking about why this sort of thing bothers folks. I think that we are all inherently territorial, but it's interesting to me that someone would want to claim ownership of someone else's intellectual property. I understand being territorial about your own work, but not found objects--to me, that's all ego.

I am learning a lot as well. Coati I think your thoughts are quite interesting on why we feel territorial about others work/ideas/designs. Why should I get to wear someone else's creation, but then feel that no one else has the right to?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2009 9:33:49 PM
Author: PrettyBlues

I have created a beast.
2.gif

I''m learning a lot too. Really been thinking about why this sort of thing bothers folks. I think that we are all inherently territorial, but it''s interesting to me that someone would want to claim ownership of someone else''s intellectual property. I understand being territorial about your own work, but not found objects--to me, that''s all ego.

I am learning a lot as well. Coati I think your thoughts are quite interesting on why we feel territorial about others work/ideas/designs. Why should I get to wear someone else''s creation, but then feel that no one else has the right to?
HI:

Oh I don''t know. Entitlement. Arrogance. All human and all forgiveable.

P.S. Coati--get your own barfer....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 9:29:00 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
1/8/2009 9:27:02 PM

Author: Deelight

I don''t have a folder, does this mean I have to revoke my membership?

You''re out.

Deb

34.gif

Date: 1/8/2009 9:29:20 PM
Author: Elmorton
Haha, Deelight, I was thinking the same thing... ;-)

Wahhhhh.gif

Elmorton we might have to go start our own folderless site LOL

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/8/2009 7:18:51 PM
Author: TravelingGal

If someone would copy my ring, I'd feel better. I need an ego stroke. *sniff*

Where is your ring? If you post a picture of it here, maybe I can copy it. I just realized that I don't know if I've ever seen it. Maybe I would have wanted to copy it years ago.

Deborah
34.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 9:33:49 PM
Author: PrettyBlues

I have created a beast.
2.gif

I'm learning a lot too. Really been thinking about why this sort of thing bothers folks. I think that we are all inherently territorial, but it's interesting to me that someone would want to claim ownership of someone else's intellectual property. I understand being territorial about your own work, but not found objects--to me, that's all ego.

I am learning a lot as well. Coati I think your thoughts are quite interesting on why we feel territorial about others work/ideas/designs. Why should I get to wear someone else's creation, but then feel that no one else has the right to?

Thanks--It's really stimulating me at the moment. I think some are more competitive than others. Just generally, I feel that some crave notoriety and don't want to share. I create art with my husband, and I'm very territorial about our work--I've registered work, copyrighted etc., but it's my property. I don't claim other's work as mine. Honestly, this reminds me of 5th grade, when a girl got the first pair of "Guess" jeans, and sulked for days when the rest of us emerged in them. A wedding ring has sentimental value, but really in the end it's just a symbol. What does one ring have to do with another's feelings? Especially when they had no part in the design? I just don't get it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 9:48:31 PM

Date:

If someone would copy my ring, I''d feel better. I need an ego stroke. *sniff*

Where is your ring? If you post a picture of it here, maybe I can copy it. I just realized that I don''t know if I''ve ever seen it. Maybe I would have wanted to copy it years ago.

Deborah
34.gif
It''s somewhere here...I''ll try and find it later. And for PS, it is unique in that I don''t think anyone who is still around has it (there may have been one or two people who were interested but not sure if they bought it.) And there is a reason for that...it''s way too modern, thick, and boring for most people''s tastes on here...which shows good taste, hehehe. It''s a Jeff Cooper setting. No nonsense lines, very practical and very me.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 9:37:41 PM

P.S. Coati--get your own barfer....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Barf ON dude!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock

Date:

If someone would copy my ring, I''d feel better. I need an ego stroke. *sniff*

Where is your ring? If you post a picture of it here, maybe I can copy it. I just realized that I don''t know if I''ve ever seen it. Maybe I would have wanted to copy it years ago.

Deborah

34.gif

Post a pic--I want yours too TGal!
11.gif

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
I love your ring Tgal - maybe I should copy it!
27.gif
31.gif
9.gif

ETA: In all seriousness, I actually DID want a Jeff Cooper ring, before I found Pricescope and when I thought I wanted a princess cut. But it is a different setting from what you have, and not what I would choose now. I guess you have better taste than I do
2.gif
because I would definitely wear yours, but not what I had picked.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, you have 2 days worth of sales meetings, and 16 page threads start spewing out of Hangout!
9.gif

I have to say, that my husband designed my ring without perusing many of the pics here on Pricescope - he just knew bezel, Asscher . . . pipe cut band. That's pretty much all he had to go on, and I ended up with my ring, that I find original, but hey, it's not like it's the first bezel set solitaire Asscher on the internets.
2.gif

I'm sure he drew inspiration from diamond halo'd Asschers all over PS like Lovey's, and the bezel set Lucida I probably showed him over our years together, and if our lovely PSers had never posted their lovely rings, I might not have the beautiful creation I wear on my hand. I love to hear when people drew inspiration from my ring! But, if I have to face facts, it's not a truly original setting - I've seen bezeled diamonds for decades, though never saw the double halo or the bevel in the bezel before. . .

Either way, I hope SG comes back. I'd hate to lose such a wonderful PSer.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s in the bezelicious thread...I think the original post when I got the ring was really bad as far as photos go so the best photos are in the earring thread. Like I said, it''s a masculine ring. That''s why I love yours Coati...practical, yet FEMININE.

I''d say sorry for the threadjack, but this thread is already a way lost cause.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 9:53:31 PM

Date:

If someone would copy my ring, I'd feel better. I need an ego stroke. *sniff*

Where is your ring? If you post a picture of it here, maybe I can copy it. I just realized that I don't know if I've ever seen it. Maybe I would have wanted to copy it years ago.

Deborah
34.gif
It's somewhere here...I'll try and find it later. And for PS, it is unique in that I don't think anyone who is still around has it (there may have been one or two people who were interested but not sure if they bought it.) And there is a reason for that...it's way too modern, thick, and boring for most people's tastes on here...which shows good taste, hehehe. It's a Jeff Cooper setting. No nonsense lines, very practical and very me.
Here it is.... and I think it's FABULOUS! So there.
9.gif
ETA: May I just pluck those bezel studs right out of the picture and run away with them? Please?

IMG_0138a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results