shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm sooo excited!! Finally getting my CVB Riviere band!!!

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
If it was an issue with your other ring that you got rid of, I can’t see why it wouldn’t be an issue with any other ring?
I think you shouldn’t rule out asking CVB about what your options are or availability on ‘weathered’ milgrain, though.
Or even if there’s a gauge you can choose from, ask for finer/more notches per inch? Is the make of your other band’s milgrain something that can be quantified as a standard per inch notch for that manufacturer as a benchmark you know it needs to surpass?
Could the milgrain on this new ring be put on the inside of the lip instead of the top ridge? Think I’ve seen that done on inside of bezels, not on the top ridge of the bezel?

A0DC1154-B8D0-4A5B-ACDC-BF41138EDF7D.jpeg
This picture shows
top ring supposedly 1940’s ‘unused’ old stock
Middle ring worn and weathered 1920’s
Bottom new CVB ring

The CVB is fine, but you can see the vintage rings are more notches per inch. I’m assuming it’s a choice you can make, but may depend on the bench?

I’d pursue the possibility of the milgrain on the inside of the lip, if you like the tiny detail to be there, if I were you.

Beautiful set you’ve chosen!

This is extremely helpful, thank you!! I have spent a lot of time blowing up any images of the riviere band i can find and it does appear that the milgrain is more towards the inside of the band.
20200506_213936.jpg
I will ask if there is a finer gauge too, thank you! And yes, weathered milgrain, i like that was of putting it much better!! ;-)

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I’ll follow up on Etsy.

I have not decided on a band yet. I was obsessing over the Embrace or Wedding Band. However, the band you posted is beautiful. I’m not in a rush since our wedding has been pushed back even further due to the pandemic.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry. The same thing is happening to my stepdaughter.
I would give Caysies (CVB) etsy page a once over. She does a lot of vintage flavored pieces and her work is impeccable!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i am all for milgrain!!! love the style.
As for it scratching the basket of your solitaire, i think any ring next to the cathedral of a solitaire will wear down. Albeit, i think the milgrain may be more wearing (due to the notches) than a plain band.
would you consider a spacer between these 2 bands. A skinny 1-2mm plain band?

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
i am all for milgrain!!! love the style.
As for it scratching the basket of your solitaire, i think any ring next to the cathedral of a solitaire will wear down. Albeit, i think the milgrain may be more wearing (due to the notches) than a plain band.
would you consider a spacer between these 2 bands. A skinny 1-2mm plain band?

I am more and more team milgrain! Yes, all band cause some damage, esp. when the setting is low, like mine is. But i can actualy feel the milgrain, on some bands, sawing and grinding into the setting, and its an unsettling feeling. My tiffany milgrain band was like that. Im hoping this can be made so that this feeling is at least minimized. And no, unfortunately I'm not a fan of spacers. Trying like crazy to avoid that. :)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I am more and more team milgrain! Yes, all band cause some damage, esp. when the setting is low, like mine is. But i can actualy feel the milgrain, on some bands, sawing and grinding into the setting, and its an unsettling feeling. My tiffany milgrain band was like that. Im hoping this can be made so that this feeling is at least minimized. And no, unfortunately I'm not a fan of spacers. Trying like crazy to avoid that. :)

yes, i can appreciate that sound/ feeling on the bands....hopefully you have relayed that to CVB and you can get that milgrain on the inner side of that bezel... fingers crossed the design will be such that it doesnt grate on the cathedral

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
yes, i can appreciate that sound/ feeling on the bands....hopefully you have relayed that to CVB and you can get that milgrain on the inner side of that bezel... fingers crossed the design will be such that it doesnt grate on the cathedral

Thank you!!! I just really want to be able to enjoy the ring fully, 100%, no regrets!! I'm prob going to speak to Caysie tomorrow about it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s also make and female milgrain tools.
I can’t really find good pictures to compare and contrast the end results though.
Maybe that’s an option as well?

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
There’s also make and female milgrain tools.
I can’t really find good pictures to compare and contrast the end results though.
Maybe that’s an option as well?

Interesting! I cant find any images of these types of milgrain tho. Do you have any?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting! I cant find any images of these types of milgrain tho. Do you have any?

no I can’t find any good ones.
I can mentally picture the difference of male vs female, but if it were me in your shoes,
I would ask Caysie for examples of both from her bench and what your options are to circumvent your specific concerns from your Tiffany band.
Maybe it’s not an option, I don’t know. But explore it thru her.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
no I can’t find any good ones.
I can mentally picture the difference of male vs female, but if it were me in your shoes,
I would ask Caysie for examples of both from her bench and what your options are to circumvent your specific concerns from your Tiffany band.
Maybe it’s not an option, I don’t know. But explore it thru her.

Ok, ill put it on my list for tomorrow, thanks!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Milgrain.
I know you’re not a fan, but a thin spacer solves the scratching dilemma.
I also love the milgrain on the inside. It does appear to remove the threat of scratching.
I love it!! :kiss2:

Last edited:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That sapphire and diamond rivière in the picture above was mine, and I have to say... her milgrain is so fine that even with my glasses on I struggle to see it clearly.

Honestly, I think the contact of any metal, milgrained or not is going to cause damage/wear. Perhaps see if Caysie has any suggestions. I don’t think forgoing or altering the milgrain in size will make much difference though!

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Milgrain.
I know you’re not a fan, but a thin spacer solves the scratching dilemma.
I also love the milgrain on the inside. It does appear to remove the threat of scratching.
I love it!! :kiss2:

Me too! Ok l' m gonna see what she says tomorrow. I am really trying to avoid a spacer. Im just not a fan. I have 2, and i never wear them, wven when i should. I just really like the clean look of 2 rings. ;-)

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
That sapphire and diamond rivière in the picture above was mine, and I have to say... her milgrain is so fine that even with my glasses on I struggle to see it clearly.

Honestly, I think the contact of any metal, milgrained or not is going to cause damage/wear. Perhaps see if Caysie has any suggestions. I don’t think forgoing or altering the milgrain in size will make much difference though!

Oh wow it is? I took it off google, i hope you dont mind. I almost was a copycat, that band is just to die for!! You dont have any issues feeling the milgrain grind agsinst your other rings? Would you mind posting pics of where the ring hits on another ring?

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not at all! It’s very flattering to see it being used! Those were the glamour shots that Caysie sent me after completion stacked with whatever other bands she had available at the time. Unfortunately, my photography skills are greatly lacking and all I have is an iPhone camera...

I also don’t wear it stacked all that much, and never with a solitaire so I don’t know how much help it will be! I only have other bands to wear it with these days. It is quite a low setting and you could likely talk to Caysie about lowering it further?

I have added a picture of the only ring I have left that resembles a solitaire type setting paired with the band. Unfortunately, the two rings are sized for two totally different fingers so the ring is sitting far more tightly than the band, which may exacerbate how closely they may sit.

Here are the other glamour shots she sent at that time if it helps with a hand shot for perspective.

FWIW, I actually don’t think the milgrain will be a problem. As you can kind of tell in these pictures, if your version (the diamond version is the most beautiful one honestly!!) is anything like mine, the milgrain is on the inside of the ‘channel’ of metal against the stones rather than the ‘outer’ edge of the ring which would be contacting another ring.

Metal on metal will always be a problem though.

C8FBB196-D762-45B3-A130-9E61329702D4.jpeg
E3976801-7F55-40B4-A667-0B86A4791DEB.jpeg
DF65C220-3866-4202-B36F-D90FF6EDF6BD.jpeg
3CD1472F-FCB6-44C9-B7BE-45F379172249.jpeg

14C78425-4AE4-4157-AED8-A3859DC45351.jpeg

Last edited:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Not at all! It’s very flattering to see it being used! Those were the glamour shots that Caysie sent me after completion stacked with whatever other bands she had available at the time. Unfortunately, my photography skills are greatly lacking and all I have is an iPhone camera...

I also don’t wear it stacked all that much, and never with a solitaire so I don’t know how much help it will be! I only have other bands to wear it with these days.

Here are the other glamour shots she sent at that time if it helps with a hand shot for perspective.

FWIW, I actually don’t think the milgrain will be a problem. As you can kind of tell in these pictures, if your version (the diamond version is the most beautiful one honestly!!) is anything like mine, the milgrain is on the inside of the ‘channel’ of metal against the stones rather than the ‘outer’ edge of the ring which would be contacting another ring.

Wow there is just something about that blue and white combo...its super classy and whimsical all at the same time!!
Yes, i see what you mean about the milgrain placement, it does appear to be "inside" the channel. Ok im pretty much convinced!!!:lol:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow there is just something about that blue and white combo...its super classy and whimsical all at the same time!!
Yes, i see what you mean about the milgrain placement, it does appear to be "inside" the channel. Ok im pretty much convinced!!!:lol:

I would talk to her about lowering the depth of the band if at all possible if concerned about rubbing with your existing ring!

Good luck- please post photos when you get it- the full diamond rivière is to die for and I wish I had it too!!! It’s STUNNING and the first of Caysie’s works that I saw that made my jaw drop.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock

I also don’t wear it stacked all that much, and never with a solitaire so I don’t know how much help it will be! I only have other bands to wear it with these days. It is quite a low setting and you could likely talk to Caysie about lowering it further?

I have added a picture of the only ring I have left that resembles a solitaire type setting paired with the band. Unfortunately, the two rings are sized for two totally different fingers so the ring is sitting far more tightly than the band, which may exacerbate how closely they may sit.

14C78425-4AE4-4157-AED8-A3859DC45351.jpeg

Did you just add that last pic?? Thank you, that is awesome!! It looks like the milgrain doesnt even touch?

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes- just edited after managing to snap a shot. You convinced me to go and take out my CVB babies and play lol. They see sadly little action right now due to the constant need for handwashing.

The milgrain doesn’t touch for me because it is on that ‘inner edge’. The metal will still touch and eat away at prongs by itself regardless of milgrain, but I don’t think the milgrain is an issue!

If she can lower the band for you, then it would probably make metal on metal less of a problem!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meesmom, congrats on your new Rivière band. It's beautiful. :)

I don't wear my Rivière band with my Jovyn solitaire, I find that the width of the band overpowers the delicate width of my Jovyn. I wear my Jovyn alone or with the xs Cartier trinity usually. For the Rivière, I tend to wear it alone or with a plain platinum band or my Montana sapphire Rivière band when I'm going to be using my hands and don't want to have to baby my solitaire.

I have worn the Rivière and the Jovyn together a few times, but didn't notice that it scratched the Jovyn. I also like to wear a thin spacer between them. Without the spacer, the Rivière does touch the base of the basket on my Jovyn setting so I expect that if the two rings were worn together 24/7 that over time there would be some scratches on the Jovyn. It seems your Jovyn is set quite low, so if it were me I would check with Caysie whether this would be a concern re: scratching. However, I think it's inevitable that any band, especially with milgrain, would rub against a lower-set solitaire.At least for my Rivière bands, I find they are already set very low, but definitely ask Caysie what her suggestions are to address this concern.

In terms of the fineness of the milgrain, Caysie's bench does a good job. I used to have a milgrained band by Victor Canera, who does some of the finest milgrain I've seen. Caysie's bench is not quite on the same level (and of course not same price point!) but it comes close, in my opinion. Since the Rivière uses antique-style French cuts, I feel that the milgrain really finishes the overall look of the band. If the band had contemporary baguette or carré cut diamonds, I would prefer no milgrain. But for the vintage look, my personal preference would be for having milgrain with the French cuts, and then using a skinny spacer to wear with the Jovyn, so that it would be the best of both worlds. In the end, with or without milgrain, it will still look gorgeous either way, so it's up to you.
:wavey:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too! Ok l' m gonna see what she says tomorrow. I am really trying to avoid a spacer. Im just not a fan. I have 2, and i never wear them, wven when i should. I just really like the clean look of 2 rings. ;-)

Fingers crossed she can make that work with milgrain on the inside to give you piece of mind!!

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yes- just edited after managing to snap a shot. You convinced me to go and take out my CVB babies and play lol. They see sadly little action right now due to the constant need for handwashing.

The milgrain doesn’t touch for me because it is on that ‘inner edge’. The metal will still touch and eat away at prongs by itself regardless of milgrain, but I don’t think the milgrain is an issue!

If she can lower the band for you, then it would probably make metal on metal less of a problem!

Yes she is going to make it lower, the CADS only go to a certain depth, but its on the order to go as low as they can.
As for the metal damage I already have this
20200506_200702.jpg
from various bands rubbing on it
I just really dont want to feel the milgrain rubbing it down, its like fingernails on a chalkboard to me!!

Last edited:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
@meesmom, congrats on your new Rivière band. It's beautiful. :)

I don't wear my Rivière band with my Jovyn solitaire, I find that the width of the band overpowers the delicate width of my Jovyn. I wear my Jovyn alone or with the xs Cartier trinity usually. For the Rivière, I tend to wear it alone or with a plain platinum band or my Montana sapphire Rivière band when I'm going to be using my hands and don't want to have to baby my solitaire.

I have worn the Rivière and the Jovyn together a few times, but didn't notice that it scratched the Jovyn. I also like to wear a thin spacer between them. Without the spacer, the Rivière does touch the base of the basket on my Jovyn setting so I expect that if the two rings were worn together 24/7 that over time there would be some scratches on the Jovyn. It seems your Jovyn is set quite low, so if it were me I would check with Caysie whether this would be a concern re: scratching. However, I think it's inevitable that any band, especially with milgrain, would rub against a lower-set solitaire.At least for my Rivière bands, I find they are already set very low, but definitely ask Caysie what her suggestions are to address this concern.

In terms of the fineness of the milgrain, Caysie's bench does a good job. I used to have a milgrained band by Victor Canera, who does some of the finest milgrain I've seen. Caysie's bench is not quite on the same level (and of course not same price point!) but it comes close, in my opinion. Since the Rivière uses antique-style French cuts, I feel that the milgrain really finishes the overall look of the band. If the band had contemporary baguette or carré cut diamonds, I would prefer no milgrain. But for the vintage look, my personal preference would be for having milgrain with the French cuts, and then using a skinny spacer to wear with the Jovyn, so that it would be the best of both worlds. In the end, with or without milgrain, it will still look gorgeous either way, so it's up to you.
:wavey:

:wavey::wavey::wavey:Hello, so glad to hear from you! Ive admired your ring set from afar for a looonng time, and i must have visited you "aca upgrade" thread a hundred times!!" I always wondered if my jovyn was lower than yours, it seems to be. Anyway, its not really going to be a 24/7 band, but i know it will touch, thats inevitable. But if your telling me that you didnt sense the milgrain was sawing or grinding against your jovyn, that is extremely helpful, since we have basically the same rings! Thanks again for your input!! :D

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh! Well in that case, I don’t think the rivière is going to do much damage!! Please do post pictures when you get the rivière. I need some eye candy and that diamond version is the kind of sugar/bling hit in after!!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey::wavey::wavey:Hello, so glad to hear from you! Ive admired your ring set from afar for a looonng time, and i must have visited you "aca upgrade" thread a hundred times!!" I always wondered if my jovyn was lower than yours, it seems to be. Anyway, its not really going to be a 24/7 band, but i know it will touch, thats inevitable. But if your telling me that you didnt sense the milgrain was sawing or grinding against your jovyn, that is extremely helpful, since we have basically the same rings! Thanks again for your input!! :D

I think Caysie customizes the setting based on the customer's request as well as the stone size and proportions, so each Jovyn will be slightly different. :)

If you don't wear a spacer, the two rings will rub against each other no matter what band you choose, even for the Rivière which has quite fine milgrain. So you either have to accept the wear and tear as part of life and commit to repolishing or resetting at some point down the road (not a bad option if your partner is on board with an upgrade :mrgreen:), or you can baby the ring and be super super careful (including wearing a spacer).

I took a few quick snaps with and without a spacer so you can see the height of the Rivière vs the Jovyn and the hot spots where the two rub against each other if you don't have a spacer. I hope this is helpful! It's going to be a beautiful set!

Could I ask what happened to your channel set Tiffany band? I thought it was perfectly gorgeous. I've been wanting one for the longest time but I don't wear much jewelry these days so can't justify the expense. (I might have missed it if you posted about the change in bands somewhere else, I'm not on PS as much as I used to be!) 20200507_173126.jpg 20200507_173141.jpg 20200507_173025.jpg 20200507_172842.jpg

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I think Caysie customizes the setting based on the customer's request as well as the stone size and proportions, so each Jovyn will be slightly different. :)

If you don't wear a spacer, the two rings will rub against each other no matter what band you choose, even for the Rivière which has quite fine milgrain. So you either have to accept the wear and tear as part of life and commit to repolishing or resetting at some point down the road (not a bad option if your partner is on board with an upgrade :mrgreen:), or you can baby the ring and be super super careful (including wearing a spacer).

I took a few quick snaps with and without a spacer so you can see the height of the Rivière vs the Jovyn and the hot spots where the two rub against each other if you don't have a spacer. I hope this is helpful! It's going to be a beautiful set!

Could I ask what happened to your channel set Tiffany band? I thought it was perfectly gorgeous. I've been wanting one for the longest time but I don't wear much jewelry these days so can't justify the expense. (I might have missed it if you posted about the change in bands somewhere else, I'm not on PS as much as I used to be!) 20200507_173126.jpg 20200507_173141.jpg 20200507_173025.jpg 20200507_172842.jpg

Thank you so much for the photos! Your reviere is soooo gorgeous! I'm not so concerned with the band rubbing (lets face it, with our settings, most rings do rub) but feeling the milgrain itself rub. But as @Crystal_Dreams stated above, hers has the milgrain on the inside part of the channel, so the milgrain doesnt hit her setting. I cant tell if yours is the same? Either way, I simply love it!!

I still have the tiffany channel set, but i dont know, i think the diamonds on that are too white and outshine my jovyn, lol. This riviere is going to be custom made with lower color diamonds, so i think it will be a better match.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I would talk to her about lowering the depth of the band if at all possible if concerned about rubbing with your existing ring!

Good luck- please post photos when you get it- the full diamond rivière is to die for and I wish I had it too!!! It’s STUNNING and the first of Caysie’s works that I saw that made my jaw drop.

Hey @Crystal_Dreams , i am talking to caysie now, and she says the ring usually has a groove in the back, can you show me? Thanks!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry i was asleep! Do you still need photos? Caysie is the best!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results