shape
carat
color
clarity

If I was going to recreate this ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 5:52:05 PM
Author: Chrono
I am familiar with Multicolour and their rating system. Despite what the picture shows, a rating of 7 per GIA means it is dark toned.
I was asked whether it''d be "too dark," not whether it''d be "dark." The question is moot anyway as Maisie wants an asscher-shaped stone. I only brought up the picture of that stone as an example of colour. I made no representations as to its accuracy.

Maisie,
For the fun part ... give us a range of colours you like!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have 3,500 sitting around I know a guy with a spessartite to die for. 4 carats. Pure Fanta. I almost passed out when I saw it.

Alternately I''d get Gene to cut me something in a yellow/orange garnet. That would be my stongest preference.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Maisie- what about a spess in this range? http://thegemtrader.com/Jan%2009%20Spessartite%20Page.htm

orange with a pop of red... which makes it much less expensive, apparently. Really lovely, I think!

Just for color reference though, since it is not your preferred shape. I wonder if you might need someone to custom cut for you, since you want a pretty specific shape.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
D&T those garnets are gorgeous!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 7:30:41 PM
Author: szh07
D&T those garnets are gorgeous!
I know, i love it! with concave faceting on some parts.. yummy- I think one of those garnets will be on my wishlist... ahhh next time.

Maisie- GEM 874 (the one you posted with the ring) is Sold now,,, did you get it?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 2:04:24 PM
Author: Maisie
Date: 6/7/2009 1:56:40 PM

Author: CharmyPoo

In my opinion (although no one asked), if I am going to invest in a Leon RHR .. I would pay the bucks for a stone that is worth while. That is .. I wouldn''t spend a couple hundred dollar stone in a 3 to 4 thousand dollar setting. There are stones that are not diamonds but are high quality or rare that will be worth the money in these settings. My thoughts are Harriet is a prime example of doing this right.

You edited your post after I responded. I understand that most people won''t understand me buying an expensive setting for a less expensive stone.

Maisie hon,
I understand!
I had my Jim Meyer made for a ~$350 garnet - and I think it works perfectly
9.gif

Of course, my JM will not be as exxy as that Leon - but you should just do what makes you happy.

However, I will suggest, decide exactly what colour/shape you''re after and have it custom cut by either Gene, Barry or Jeff White. It just feels more special that way too, knowing the gem was cut just for you, kwim?
I''m sorry but I just don''t think Dan''s faceting will stand up in a Leon - don''t get me wrong, I have a nbr of Dan''s stones and love them - but this is just a different standard, is all.

That spess you linked from Gene I have had my eye on for a while - but I''m not a huge fan of that cut (you however, may be)..
Why don''t you ask those cutters what they can do for you in an asscher or cushion cut - bonus, Barry has just started cutting modified asschers like last week, and they look fab
36.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 8:31:07 PM
Author: D&T
I know, i love it! with concave faceting on some parts.. yummy- I think one of those garnets will be on my wishlist... ahhh next time.

Maisie- GEM 874 (the one you posted with the ring) is Sold now,,, did you get it?
I bought and returned a gem to Gene that was similar to 874. All brown like a dull copper penny in most lights. I was sad
face11.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie: What a wonderful project! That's spessartite in my avatar... it's one of my favorite stones for color and brilliance! If you can narrow down the range of colors you're interested in, it might be worth your while to get a stone cut just for you. Spessarttite can range from the very tangerine-y "fanta" shade, to a rich cognac-y color, to rich red with hints of orange.

Honey (or hyacinth) zircon is another orangish option, but my experience with zircon has been kind of spotty. I have one cinnamon colored zircon that has great sparkle and color. Subsequent attempts to buy warm zircons have led to disappointment, so this isn't a stone I'd feel comfortable getting cut to order.

Do you have a stone shape an size range in mind?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely love orange or yellow for the stone. I don't want a brownish colour though. That wouldn't give me the look I want. I don't want a vibrant orange either. I would love an asscher or cushion. In fact I had an email from Barry last night and he offered to cut me a cushion in golden yellow heliodore. He was planning on recutting it anyway I think so I won't be tied to buying it if its not right for me.
For size I would say no bigger than 7x7.

I honestly didn't think it would be this difficult to buy the stone. I am so naive!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 4:10:52 AM
I definitely love orange or yellow for the stone. I don''t want a brownish colour though. That wouldn''t give me the look I want. I don''t want a vibrant orange either. I would love an asscher or cushion. In fact I had an email from Barry last night and he offered to cut me a cushion in golden yellow heliodore. He was planning on recutting it anyway I think so I won''t be tied to buying it if its not right for me.

I honestly didn''t think it would be this difficult to buy the stone. I am so naive!
Your Leon ring will be so beautiful. I''m glad you are making progress finding your perfect stone.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I called Leon today to have a chat about my options. He is going to send me a photo of a ring he thinks I will like. I will update when I have seen it.... he was absolutely lovely to me on the phone.
1.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Peter Torraca has a spessartite garnet that might work for you. It looks kind of brown in the picture but it doesn''t hurt to ask how that translates to reality.

I never worry about putting inexpensive stones into expensive settings. Funnily enough, my Leon is my only piece where the setting cost less than the stone.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''ll just add that I''d probably rather go with a cushion for the shape, to make shopping for the next stone less complicated. Off course, you can always have a stone custom cut, but going with a cushion would probably save you some money (and give you more options since cushions and ovals are the most common shapes when it comes to colored stones).

P. S. Also consider malaya garnets; they can come in quite nice reddish-orange shades and are not very expensive.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely love orange or yellow for the stone. I don''t want a brownish colour though. That wouldn''t give me the look I want. I don''t want a vibrant orange either. I would love an asscher or cushion. In fact I had an email from Barry last night and he offered to cut me a cushion in golden yellow heliodore. He was planning on recutting it anyway I think so I won''t be tied to buying it if its not right for me.

I honestly didn''t think it would be this difficult to buy the stone. I am so naive!
Oooh... heliodore! I think arjunajane''s heliodore is just yummy, myself...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yellow-beryl-heliodore-etsy-bezel-ring.115436/

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that one FLY GIRL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the modified asscher spessertite. It has a slight window that would close up in a setting, but it sparkles. It's a bit too dark for me, so I'll probably be returning it. However, someone else might want it. It's still a lovely and vibrant stone. It's from Jason Brim. Excuse the smudged fingers, I got ink on myself today.

3.5 carats.

TLreddishorangespess.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FlyGirl,
That concave faceting really makes the citrine stand out. Beautiful.
30.gif
It''s not Richard''s standard concave faceting pattern either.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
I definitely love orange or yellow for the stone. I don't want a brownish colour though. That wouldn't give me the look I want. I don't want a vibrant orange either. I would love an asscher or cushion.

As someone who bought (and returned) a stone with very similar colourings, I can safely say that the stone you originally posted is going to be very vibrant. I did post a few handshots in my thread, and can find more of them on my cameras if you wish. Very pretty though, and there's no warnings about it being cut shallow, so it should be a good buy, if you wanted to go that way.

Looks like a nice project!

Edit: oh, and that citrine is gorgeous, too!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 3:59:17 PM
I love AJ''s ring!

How about this one...

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=5282

That looks nice, I didn''t realize you were interested in concave cuts as well. Have have been through that site a few times (as I bought my stone through RH).

Did you see these?

Orange-red spess

Hessonite - not sure about color

However, a spinal would be a great choice as it is also a hard stone (MOS 8) and has a ton of sparkle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results