shape
carat
color
clarity

If I was going to recreate this ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What stone would I choose? I would like to have Leon make the setting but I can''t afford (and don''t really want) a yellow diamond. I did see this stone and I really like it:

maisieleongarnet.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what colors do you like or really want, there are so many choices and do you want squairish shape octagonal asschers step cuts?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would also help if you gave a budget for the ring.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the orangy shades. I definitely would have a red coloured stone too. I want to keep the asscher type shape and my budget for the stone would be no more than $400
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnets? Spessarites run the spectrum of orangey-red. I think the orangy-red (i.e. non-fanta orange) ones are in budget. And there are a lot of pretty red garnets of various subtypes, like this malaya from gemrite seems pretty (might be darker than you want though).
http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=254

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 11:02:28 AM
Author: Maisie
I love the orangy shades. I definitely would have a red coloured stone too. I want to keep the asscher type shape and my budget for the stone would be no more than $400
1.gif
What about your budget for the setting?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will be getting the setting from Leon. I just need the stone
1.gif
I know it might sound crazy to buy such an expensive setting but I don't want a diamond in it.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 11:06:04 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Garnets? Spessarites run the spectrum of orangey-red. I think the orangy-red (i.e. non-fanta orange) ones are in budget. And there are a lot of pretty red garnets of various subtypes, like this malaya from gemrite seems pretty (might be darker than you want though).
Its a very pretty stone but I prefer more orangy shades. Thank you for helping though
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 11:19:03 AM

Its a very pretty stone but I prefer more orangy shades. Thank you for helping though
1.gif
Actually, I just looked at that stone again and I wonder if it might be a good colour. I would need to see it on skin though.. is that something that the vendor would do?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 11:23:09 AM
Date: 6/7/2009 11:19:03 AM

1.gif

Actually, I just looked at that stone again and I wonder if it might be a good colour. I would need to see it on skin though.. is that something that the vendor would do?
Yeah, John is great!! Just email him and tell him you would be interested in seeing an additional photo with the stone on a hand. He''s awesome :)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I asked Dan Stair if he would send me a photo of the stone I like on a hand but he said no. He said that he doesn''t do that as it takes his time away from cutting stones. My problem is that I live in the UK and its hard for me to return stones if I don''t like them.
7.gif

I do like that one you posted D&T. Its very pretty.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is lovely too...

pl_874_detail_1.png

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 1:35:44 PM
I asked Dan Stair if he would send me a photo of the stone I like on a hand but he said no. He said that he doesn''t do that as it takes his time away from cutting stones. My problem is that I live in the UK and its hard for me to return stones if I don''t like them.
7.gif

I do like that one you posted D&T. Its very pretty.
Did you ask John? He''s the guy at GemRite.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am still waiting to hear back from John. I was surprised to hear from Dan Stair seeing as its Sunday
1.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 1:42:14 PM
I am still waiting to hear back from John. I was surprised to hear from Dan Stair seeing as its Sunday
1.gif

I usually hear back from John at night. His house got hit by a tornado recently [!!!
7.gif
] so he might be working on that during the day or something.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
In my opinion (although no one asked), if I am going to invest in a Leon RHR .. I would pay the bucks for a stone that is worth while. That is .. I wouldn't spend a couple hundred dollar stone in a 3 to 4 thousand dollar setting. There are stones that are not diamonds but are high quality or rare that will be worth the money in these settings. My thoughts are Harriet is a prime example of doing this right.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 1:56:40 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
In my opinion (although no one asked), if I am going to invest in a Leon RHR .. I would pay the bucks for a stone that is worth while. That is .. I wouldn''t spend a couple hundred dollar stone in a 3 to 4 thousand dollar setting.
Thank you for your opinion. I have had a discussion with Leon about this and he said if I put a gemstone in the setting for now, he would be happy to replace it with a diamond if I want to.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 1:56:40 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
In my opinion (although no one asked), if I am going to invest in a Leon RHR .. I would pay the bucks for a stone that is worth while. That is .. I wouldn''t spend a couple hundred dollar stone in a 3 to 4 thousand dollar setting. There are stones that are not diamonds but are high quality or rare that will be worth the money in these settings. My thoughts are Harriet is a prime example of doing this right.
You edited your post after I responded. I understand that most people won''t understand me buying an expensive setting for a less expensive stone.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am not judging at all. I thought about doing something similar in the past but then .. I recognize these settings are all custom made for a specific stone. It will be hard to find a perfect fit stone to put into the setting in the future. I am sure it will turn out beautifully and I can't wait to see it!

Also wanted to add .. not only Harriet .. but also Pokey and Kismet have made beautiful Leon rings with gorgeous colored stones.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess its a personal choice. If I waited till I could afford a 2 ct diamond and then paid for a Leon setting I would wait a long time!
9.gif

This way I can get a Leon with a beautiful gemstone now.
30.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well, I don't have too many suggestions for stones. I think you are doing a lot of good options.

I also don't think that the stone and setting budget have to match. I have an expensive sapphire set in a cheep setting (because I could not afford the setting I wanted at the time), and it works great. I see no issue with going the other way, especially if you want to swap the stone later.

ETA: I would spend a few extra dollars for a calibrated stone if I was going to reuse the setting. That way, it would be easier to find a stone that fit it would going custom for the stone. Just a suggestion.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 2:28:53 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Well, I don''t have too many suggestions for stones. I think you are doing a lot of good options.

I also don''t think that the stone and setting budget have to match. I have an expensive sapphire set in a cheep setting (because I could not afford the setting I wanted at the time), and it works great. I see no issue with going the other way, especially if you want to swap the stone later.
Thanks
1.gif

I might never change the stone. I might love it just as it is.. you never know.. lol! I have a reputation for chopping and changing
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charmy,
Thanks for your kind words.

Maisie,
I understand your reasoning. Charmy and Ltl have raised a good point about how the setting might accomodate a future diamond. If you have a diamond size in mind, do have a chat with Leon about how big the gem stone should be (e.g. how much wiggle room the setting will have, etc.). Also, if you have a diamond colour in mind, tell Leon about it so that he can pick the sidestones accordingly. Have fun picking your gem!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s always hard for me to spend money on settings...after spending only around $100-200 on a stone, anything upwards of that seems pricey...having said that, I love my stones, and I like to think that I''m getting them for bargain basement prices (mostly because I often don''t like what the general population likes) so I should be able to splurge on a setting a little bit.

I think that Leon would be gorgeous with any stone--cheap gemstone, colored diamond, white diamond--whatever! People like what they like. And I bet that if someone showed up with a couple hundred dollar stone and a few thousand dollar setting, but you didn''t know the prices of them, and it was already put together...it wouldn''t matter.

I''m going to have a "cheap" stone in a more expensive setting, and I''m not worried about it at all. Why should it matter?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 2:42:46 PM
Author: Harriet
Charmy,
Thanks for your kind words.

Maisie,
I understand your reasoning. Charmy and Ltl have raised a good point about how the setting might accomodate a future diamond. If you have a diamond size in mind, do have a chat with Leon about how big the gem stone should be (e.g. how much wiggle room the setting will have, etc.). Also, if you have a diamond colour in mind, tell Leon about it so that he can pick the sidestones accordingly. Have fun picking your gem!
I don''t want to go into this with the intention of changing the stone, although its nice to know that Leon will change it if I ask him to. I just want a Leon ring, but I don''t want to wait years until I can afford a 2 ct diamond!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think you can do whatever the heck you want
36.gif
Not everyone makes 500k a year - you work with what you have.

That said, I LOVE the idea of that setting with a gemstone. The setting is so beautiful, and orangey pink stones would really pop in it.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry if my intentions didn''t come across properly. I agree that you should do whatever you want and makes you happy. You know your situation the best and obviously can make the best choice for you.

I was sharing my thoughts as things to consider. I personally appreciate opinions even if I don''t agree with them .. just additional data points for me to consider.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
maisie - since this is your first ring with a colored stone, why don''t you try out some LOGR settings first? The price is reasonable for the quality. This seller can be found on ebay. There are many folks here on the colored stones forum who have LOGR settings, and multiple ones at that. It might be a terrific way for you to get a few relatively inexpensive settings and build up a jewelry box of gemstone rings. Then, you can use Leon for that future upgrade diamond you may decide to place in it. Do a search on PS for LOGR and you will see tons of beautiful settings.
30.gif
31.gif
31.gif
30.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie,

I can''t wait to see your ring and the stone you choose. I am sure it will be beautiful. Especially, if it is a LEON!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results