shape
carat
color
clarity

If I was going to recreate this ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 2:53:54 PM
Author: Maisie

Date: 6/7/2009 2:42:46 PM
Author: Harriet
Charmy,
Thanks for your kind words.

Maisie,
I understand your reasoning. Charmy and Ltl have raised a good point about how the setting might accomodate a future diamond. If you have a diamond size in mind, do have a chat with Leon about how big the gem stone should be (e.g. how much wiggle room the setting will have, etc.). Also, if you have a diamond colour in mind, tell Leon about it so that he can pick the sidestones accordingly. Have fun picking your gem!
I don''t want to go into this with the intention of changing the stone, although its nice to know that Leon will change it if I ask him to. I just want a Leon ring, but I don''t want to wait years until I can afford a 2 ct diamond!
I just want to say, Go for it, Maise!!!

Personally, I love blue topaz. It''s gorgeous, and a bargain priced stone for the color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maise,
Spessartites are either more red and/or brown, and then there are what is known as "Fanta orange" spessartites that are very orange, just like the "Fanta orange soda" they''re coined after. Depending on how pure orange you want the stone, it might be difficult to find something in your price range, however, as the other posters have noted there are other fine options. With smaller sizes, again, that might help you out with your budget. I think an orange stone would look gorgeous in that fabulous setting. Maybe we can convert you into a colored stoner!!
31.gif

Believe it or not, I''m awaiting a modified asscher cut eye clean Fanta orange Namibian stone in the mail right now. It''s 3.5 carats. It''s more than $400 for the whole stone though, but I think I still got a great deal. If I like it and I decide to keep it, I''ll post pics and mention who it''s from. I''m just hoping my luck is going to be better with this one than the spinels I''ve been receiving lately - LOL!! I''ve returned three in a week!
6.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The orange spessarites would be a great choice for that setting, but might be more than $400. Some of the stones with a bit of red of them sell for a lower price. If you like that color, that may be a good option. It is cheeper because it is not considered the "top color." But I think for your purposes, I would look for a color you love and ignore all that stuff. Finding a color you love that the "experts" overlook is a great way to save some money.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:24:25 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
The orange spessarites would be a great choice for that setting, but might be more than $400. Some of the stones with a bit of red of them sell for a lower price. If you like that color, that may be a good option. It is cheeper because it is not considered the ''top color.'' But I think for your purposes, I would look for a color you love and ignore all that stuff. Finding a color you love that the ''experts'' overlook is a great way to save some money.
Ditto Ltl! (Seeing as how I always get what I love, and have yet to buy anything anyone thinks of as being top color. Well, I think they are top color, but I''m odd.)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is in my price range...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oops

leongarnetmaisie.JPG

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That one is very pretty, I love it.

Just to throw in another option, do you like yellow/green? Chrysoberyls are hard stones (MOS 8.5) have a ton of sparkle, and are lower cost. I know you are not looking for an oval, but here is a pic on one just to give you an idea of what they look like. Click here.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:31:27 PM
That one is very pretty, I love it.

Just to throw in another option, do you like yellow/green? Chrysoberyls are hard stones (MOS 8.5) have a ton of sparkle, and are lower cost. I know you are not looking for an oval, but here is a pic on one just to give you an idea of what they look like. Click here.
I have seen that one.. its lovely but I prefer the orangy colours.
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The orange spessarites would be a great choice for that setting, but might be more than $400. Some of the stones with a bit of red of them sell for a lower price. If you like that color, that may be a good option. It is cheeper because it is not considered the ''top color.'' But I think for your purposes, I would look for a color you love and ignore all that stuff. Finding a color you love that the ''experts'' overlook is a great way to save some money.
Definitely!! In the end, it''s about what you love and what matters most to you. The only thing I would advise with spessartites is to try to avoid them being too brown, unless you like brown stones, and/or too dark, unless you like that. Some of them can be a tad bit on the brown side, and can go very dark in various lighting, which again, is okay if you don''t mind that or you like that. Some people do not, that is why I mention it. The reddish orange ones, although not considered by textbook standards to be top color (Fanta orange is what is in right now), are very lovely stones!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
If you prefer the orange get the orange. I just help you explore all the possibilities so that you can stretch you dollar further.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:41:25 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

The orange spessarites would be a great choice for that setting, but might be more than $400. Some of the stones with a bit of red of them sell for a lower price. If you like that color, that may be a good option. It is cheeper because it is not considered the 'top color.' But I think for your purposes, I would look for a color you love and ignore all that stuff. Finding a color you love that the 'experts' overlook is a great way to save some money.

Definitely!! In the end, it's about what you love and what matters most to you. The only thing I would advise with spessartites is to try to avoid them being too brown, unless you like brown stones, and/or too dark, unless you like that. Some of them can be a tad bit on the brown side, and can go very dark in various lighting, which again, is okay if you don't mind that or you like that. Some people do not, that is why I mention it. The reddish orange ones, although not considered by textbook standards to be top color (Fanta orange is what is in right now), are very lovely stones!!

I agree, I am not a fan of stones with a brown undertone. But to each their own. For a spess, I can see why stones with brown undertones are not as desired, but I think the red ones get a bad rap.

TL - I can't wait to see this new stone, sounds like we have another sun on the way.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure what you mean about Fanta coloured stones being in now. Which ones are they? I''m not sure I want to wear a luminous type stone.... unless I have no idea of fashion of course lol! I am just remembering the 80''s and those flourescent socks!

I am getting confused now about the brown thing. How will I know which one is going to look brown? Are all spess garnets likely to be like that?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 4:44:23 PM

I agree, I am not a fan of stones with a brown undertone. But to each their own. For a spess, I can see why stones with brown undertones are not as desired, but I think the red ones get a bad rap.

TL - I can''t wait to see this new stone, sounds like we have another sun on the way.

I know, slight hijack, but I love lilac or orchid colored spinels, but they don''t sell for as much as some other colors, but some of them are incredibly beautiful to me. Go figure??

Anyways, when I get the spess, if and only if I like it, I will post pics. Otherwise it goes back!!
39.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Mine (in my aviator) is considered a mandarin orange (it really looks like the fruit during the day) and has a wild glow in artificial light. Harriet's stone has a similar color.

You have to talk to the vendor about the undertones of the stone. I have a couple stones with a gray mask, and they were not in the vendor photos (they were both under $50 so I kept them). I would say for a Leon ring, I would try to find a stone with a pure of color as possible, I think you will be much happier.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie,
As I stated, I understand your reasoning. I only reiterated and added to what Charmy and Ltl said because of your report about your exchange with Leon. Since you like orange-red, a reddish Spessartite would be perfect. Plus, it has the 2nd highest RI amongst the garnets. Spinels are harder, but an orange-red will be tough to find.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:52:31 PM
Maisie,
As I stated, I understand your reasoning. I only reiterated and added to what Charmy and Ltl said because of your report about your exchange with Leon. Since you like orange-red, a reddish Spessartite would be perfect. Plus, it has the 2nd highest RI amongst the garnets. Spinels are harder, but an orange-red will be tough to find.
This gemstone buying thing is harder than I expected. I have been given a lot of food for thought though.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
It is harder than buying a diamond, but I find it more rewarding. Because it is like victory after a long hunt. If you are buying online, don''t be upset if you have to send a couple stones back. Most of us have had to do that, it is just the nature of the buying process.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 4:49:23 PM
I'm not sure what you mean about Fanta coloured stones being in now. Which ones are they? I'm not sure I want to wear a luminous type stone.... unless I have no idea of fashion of course lol! I am just remembering the 80's and those flourescent socks!

I am getting confused now about the brown thing. How will I know which one is going to look brown? Are all spess garnets likely to be like that?
It's not luminous, but very very orange, which tends to be a very rare color in it's pure form in the gem world. It's basically the color of Fanta orange soda. It might be too garrish for some, but I love the color, which reminds me of magma or a hot ember. A fine example tends to hold it's color in almost all lighting, and just glows hot!! Orange also does not typically photograph well, so you really need to see fine ones in person to get a feeling for the color.

LtlFirecracker has a nice specimen in her avitar, if you search pricescope on mandarin orange spessartites or fanta orange spessartites, you will see many examples. Some might be brown and not true fanta color, but it gives you an idea of the various shades.

Here's a fine photographic example.

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=6269

A bit out of your pricerange, but I feel that when people are shopping for a colored gem, it's always good to look at top color for purposes of educating oneself what to look for within the budget. The prices jump exponentially for stones above four carats and those that are clean (most are included), so if you're looking for a two carat stone, that helps.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:57:32 PM

Maisie,
This gemstone buying thing is harder than I expected. I have been given a lot of food for thought though.
There is a lot to learn, but it's rewarding, I promise.

Do you like the colour of this one? I know it's not an asscher, but just wanted to show you the colour we're talking about: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-654532675

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for showing me that TL. It really is bright isn''t it?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, Maisie, I don''t think you''re going to like that one that TL posted. From what I''m understanding about what you''re looking for...that''s not it, and the Fanta/Mandarine color is not what you''re going for. I kind of have in my head from what you''ve described as being more of a *setting sun in the desert* reddish orange instead of traffic cone orange.

I''m no help at this because my least favorite color is orange!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 5:15:45 PM

Maisie,
There is a lot to learn, but it''s rewarding, I promise.

Do you like the colour of this one? I know it''s not an asscher, but just wanted to show you the colour we''re talking about: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-654532675

Thats a pretty colour.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 5:26:14 PM
Thanks for showing me that TL. It really is bright isn''t it?
That''s the point, it''s bright and vivid. In colored gems, vivid colors are often the most desirable and prized. It will also not go muddy or brown in various lighting, and the only tone in that stone is pure vivid orange. If it''s too orange for you, perhaps you should consider a redder stone, but do be careful of those that do go black or muddy.
1.gif
I like the reddish orange ones, too red, and it then looks like any old red garnet, and you don''t want that either.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 5:15:45 PM

Maisie,
There is a lot to learn, but it''s rewarding, I promise.

Do you like the colour of this one? I know it''s not an asscher, but just wanted to show you the colour we''re talking about: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-654532675
Harriet,
Don''t you think that might end up being a bit too dark since it''s a 7/5? It''s got a very dark tone.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is gorgeous...

be-179.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 5:34:19 PM
This is gorgeous...
Silly! That''s not even orange!
3.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 5:37:50 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 6/7/2009 5:34:19 PM
This is gorgeous...
Silly! That''s not even orange!
3.gif
So shoot me! Lol!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 5:34:07 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Harriet,
Don''t you think that might end up being a bit too dark since it''s a 7/5? It''s got a very dark tone.
I''m partial to darker-toned stones, but I don''t think it''ll be too dark with the orange and red combo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am familiar with Multicolour and their rating system. Despite what the picture shows, a rating of 7 per GIA means it is dark toned.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Maisie, I''m sure whatever you end up getting will look absolutely beautiful, especially in that LM setting. I''m in the Freke camp on this one: I go for stones that appeal to me, even if they''re not what people would consider top color (of course, there ARE top color stones I would happily go for - like top sapphires - if I had the budget, but this doesn''t apply to every stone variety for me). I think if you start searching for the "perfect" color stone, it can get really complicated - but you''re not going to love your ring more knowing the stone is a top color, if that color doesn''t appeal to you.

And I see no problem with getting an expensive setting for a relatively cheap stone! My favorite stone cost about $400 and I''m definitely looking to spend way more than that for its final setting.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results