shape
carat
color
clarity

I''d Rather Try on Bikinis...Pictures Inside!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I like #5 the best, but it doesn''t really say Maui to me, more of a fancy church feel. Have to tried David''s? They have lots of destination type gowns in the lower price range. Group USA has some now as well.

becoming_sadie

Rough_Rock
I really love #2. I think it is a perfect dress for a destination wedding!

mjso

Shiny_Rock
I really like the front of #4, but the sparkly strappy things are just weird.

#5 is nice as well, but I agree it isn't very "beachy", not that that really matters, the formality of a beach wedding is determined by the dress I've heard.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Number 3 has a floaty quality because of the lace/net overlay and a beautiful neckline. But could be a bit too much for a beach wedding?

Number 5 is a beautiful dress, and fabulous on you. But perhaps a little heavy for the beach?

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
I think #3 and #5 will look stunning on you and your rockin'' bod! I think 5 is my favorite, mainly because you can carry it off like few can. Good luck!! (I''m going for dress re-shopping this weekend, myself!)

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
My votes go to #3 and #5!

I love #3 because it''s just so flowly and soft looking and I think the sweet heart neckline looks great on you. Although I think in the photo it does look awkward but as you said it''s cause it''s a bazillion sizes to big for you! (i am jealous of your figure! :D) I think once it''s the right size it would be so sweet looking! and paired with the right hair style very nice for a beach wedding. (i like more formal dresses even for outdorsy and beach weddings)

Adore #5, I think it just looks smashing on you. Simple, elegant, but just enough sexy. I agree with some other commenters about the lack of beading and lace not hindering your great figure. REALLY like the back detail on the train. Reminds me of that one Rivini dress...

I do not like #4 at all really. In general Ithink halter styles are difficult to look nice on anyone...and with the hanging beads on the back - yeah just not doing it for me. My sister tried on a wedding dress one and from the front it was alright, but when she turned around thre was a huge HEART cut out of the back with tons of beads dangling down the back. It was horrendous and hilarious at the same time....

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
#5!!!!!!!!!!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
#5!!
30.gif
30.gif

Looks great on you!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

#4 is great from the front, but I don't like the chains/strigs on the back. Seems trashy.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, please don''t shoot me but...

I don''t love any of them.

You have a gorgeous figure and I think you can do better than these dresses...
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 1:43:29 PM
Author: TravelingGal
OK, please don''t shoot me but...

I don''t love any of them.

You have a gorgeous figure and I think you can do better than these dresses...
1.gif
I agree with this. I evaluated them as they were. But a) none of them are saying ''maui'' to me and b) while I liked the STYLES of some of them the actual dresses left me unimpressed.

Have you tried on any maggies yet?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Scoot over TG...you and I are in the firing squad together. We can hold hands...it will be over in no time. What do you want for your last meal?

Harleigh, baby, you know I love you
emlove.gif
...hurting your feelings would crush me like a bug. But I want to encourage you to get out there and find the one that will make you cry...Just like Gypsy. Your INCREDIBLE figure needs to be the focal point...not the price point. The rest of your wedding details are all done. Lets knock this one outta the park!

If I didn''t love you...I would have just passed up this thread. Honest.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 1:52:50 PM
Author: Gypsy
I don't love any of them.
I agree with this. I evaluated them as they were. But a) none of them are saying 'maui' to me and b) while I liked the STYLES of some of them the actual dresses left me unimpressed.
I do like the shape of #5 on you ... and the *style* is elegant ... but the fabric looks cheap to me. Kind of imitation "nightgown from the forties" clingy flammable yuck.

Agree with Gypsy that you might have to throw more $$ at this situation. Have you tried any of the JCrew dresses? I always see beachy-type gossamer goddess type of dresses there that could be STUNNING on your ideal figure. And would *feel* good too. (Not show every wrinkle and shine too glossily as #5 sadly does now)

ETA:

For instance ... check out this $225 SILK JCrew dress with a similar shape to #5 J Crew Dress #1

Or there's this other Jcrew one in Ivory marked down to $119!. Not super crazy about it but on you it might be magical. Heck, its returnable!

LadyJ76

Rough_Rock

I definately LOVE #5 on you....in fact, it reminds me a lot of my dress which I got on sale at David''s for $349 and I think that''s in your price range! Here''s my dress:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2343&prodgroup=10

It''s very flattering on and has some pretty ruching (sp?) in the back on the booty. I tried to attach a pic of the back but I''m not sure if it''s going to work.

my dress1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 2:02:35 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 1/30/2008 1:52:50 PM

I don't love any of them.
I agree with this. I evaluated them as they were. But a) none of them are saying 'maui' to me and b) while I liked the STYLES of some of them the actual dresses left me unimpressed.
I do like the shape of #5 on you ... and the *style* is elegant ... but the fabric looks cheap to me. Kind of imitation 'nightgown from the forties' clingy flammable yuck.

Agree with Gypsy that you might have to throw more $$ at this situation. Have you tried any of the JCrew dresses? I always see beachy-type gossamer goddess type of dresses there that could be STUNNING on your ideal figure. And would *feel* good too. (Not show every wrinkle and shine too glossily as #5 sadly does now)

Oh that GORGEOUS black and white market gown someone here has... That would be in your price range (which I still feel needs a little breathing room) and perfect for a maui wedding, and worth a look at.

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product.asp?PID=300109703
http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product.asp?PID=300108467

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Yeah Booty rouching is what you need. Booty rouching!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I like 3 best! But agree that none of them is that great. Keep looking. You've got time if you get it off the rack. J.Crew? Consignment shops? ???

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/30/2008 2:06:29 PM
Date: 1/30/2008 2:02:35 PM

Author: decodelighted

Oh that GORGEOUS black and white market gown someone here has... That would be in your price range (which I still feel needs a little breathing room) and perfect for a maui wedding, and worth a look at.

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product.asp?PID=300109703

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product.asp?PID=300108467

I have that dress! Well, I returned it for the right size and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I agree it would look smashing on Harleigh! I'll post better pics when I get it!!

Here's my thread if you want to check it out, Harleigh

(I like #5 though too!)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-like-this-pics-of-dress.77044/

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
While I like #3 and #5, I agree with those who suggested you look further. I don''t really think any of the dresses look very Maui-wedding-esque. There are plenty of dresses out there, and somewhere out there is a dress that you will love that is also in your price range. You''ll find it. Don''t settle for something that you don''t love.

I know people who have purchased the first dress they tried, and I know people who tried on dozens and dozens of dresses before they found anything. Don''t get discouraged. You''ll find something fantastic eventually.

uga1

Rough_Rock
Since I am an official member of the board I thought I would chime in!

If you had to choose between these 5, I would go for #5 for sure.

Good luck in your search, I know what it''s like to have a dress and then fall out of love with it
8.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I like #5 the best of the ones you posted, but I think that more trying on is warranted. As others have said, you have a FANTASTIC figure and there is a lot of potential for knocking it out of the park, and if you were having a sophisticated urban wedding I would say #5 in your size would be fantastic, but for Maui I''m not totally sold.

And I think that just the fact that you''ve been through so many options by this point testifies to what some of the other girls have said - you might need to loosen up on the budget a little bit and go out and try more on to really hit this out of the park, because you deserve it. And if you end up with an obscenely expensive dress, you could always re-sell it afterwards on eBay
31.gif
11.gif
27.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Ladies, thank you so very much for your thoughts, the good, the bad, the ugly and the indifferent! It has been one hell of a day here at school, so I wasn''t even able to respond during my lunch or recesses. Thankfully my staff meeting has been cancelled this afternoon, so I have a few minutes respond to your comments before heading to the gym.

Thanks for your honesty, everyone, I do appreciate it...I know none of these dresses were the best for me, but I need to hear from unbiased people what they actually think is flattering about some of them, not so much about others, etc...

I, too, am struggling with this dress decision...I simply don''t know how to make it when I really can''t tell how something will actually fit on me when I have a ginormous dress that''s clipped to me, a friend is trying to hold it up, etc...

Though none of these dresses of the 14, yes, 14!, I tried on wowed me in any way, shape or form, #5 was by far my favorite of the selection, followed by #3. They all left me pretty much feeling "bleh" about them, and I couldn''t wait to get out of each one. I loved the simplicity of #5 and thought it was the most flattering style..it was the first one I picked, the first I tried on and the only one I really wanted to try on again when all was said and done. I also liked the sweetheart neckline of #3, but it was so big that it made my chest look HUGE! Maybe this would be better on me in a smaller size? I also liked that that one came already bustled and could be ordered in the length needed for my height so that no hemming alterations would be needed. Always something to consider...

I loved the comments about the back of dress #4...for some reason both of my friends LOVED that dress, especially the beading at the back and I was like, OMG, I look like a tramp! Makes me wonder, it really does. That dress was a size 4, so of course it fit the best of any of them, but I really thought it looked a bit "little girly" from the front and I detested the bow under the bustline. I also thought it made my bust look even bustier than it is, and my goal is NOT to "bust" a move right on outta my wedding dress on my special day!

I hated #2...straight across bustlines don''t do a thing for me, and it had A LOT going on! If I were 6''3", I think I might be able to pull that one off!

#1 looked better when the gal had laced it up, but we forgot to take pictures, so we tried to put me back into it ourselves ti take a picture, but didn''t quite get it right as you can all see.

As for the Greek Goddess styles...I tried on 3 of those, all of which we did photograph, and the pictures were R rated. They did NOTHING for me, nor did they hold the girls in. I actually looked like a Roman hooker or something I imagine Roman hookers might look like! Since I hated them all and I don''t want to get removed from PS for obscene photos, I smartly left them out of this thread. For some reason, all of the dresses with chiffon or sheer fabric did nothing for me...I don''t know why this is, but the lace overlay and satin ones seemed to fit a bit better, or at least they felt like they did. I''m really not sure I have a clue what I''m talking about any more!

I did like the JCrew and WHBM dresses deco and Gypsy posted, thank you...I really like the deep v-neck one you posted, Gypsy, but I''m just not sure about the design in the center, but hey, it''s on SALE!!!
31.gif
I would really like to find more with tops like that with a fitted waist as I think that might be the way to go for my body type.

I have also tried on several Maggie Sottero gowns...#1 was the only MS that any of us even remotely liked, which was the 2-piece one with ribbon under the bust. I still have not found the MS Benita I was looking for in my other thread to see and try on in person, but I am still calling around to try to find it. There is a very hoity-toity salon in Sacramento that is looking for it for me, so if they can''t get it, I''m out of luck on that one, I guess.

So, thank you all for your thoughts...I don''t think any of these are "the" right dress for me, but I appreciate your advice on what might look good and will endeavor to find the perfect dress REGARDLESS of the cost!!! Anyone want to go dress shopping with me, because I HATE it!!!

Also, I am getting married in a lovely grassy garden, so if anyone finds any others like #5 that might work for a garden, not a beach, wedding, I am open to any and all suggestions and am more than willing to go to try on more, but I do think the simpler the better for me.

Thank you again, everyone! Your help is, as always, most appreciated!

And a special note to TGal & DKS...I would only expect you both to give me your most humble and honest opinions, whether I like them or not, so thank you! I happen to agree with both of you and think I can do better. Love you both, and thank you for taking the time to chime in!
13.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 2:06:16 PM
Author: LadyJ76

I definately LOVE #5 on you....in fact, it reminds me a lot of my dress which I got on sale at David''s for $349 and I think that''s in your price range! Here''s my dress:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2343&prodgroup=10

It''s very flattering on and has some pretty ruching (sp?) in the back on the booty. I tried to attach a pic of the back but I''m not sure if it''s going to work.

Thanks, Lady! I did try that one on and it didn''t look very good on me. I think it would be great for me if it had more of a natural waist, but I couldn''t find any there with a more natural waistline that wasn''t strapless...arghhh!

Thank you for sharing!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 2:12:23 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Yeah Booty rouching is what you need. Booty rouching!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
LM"BootyRouched"AO!

I can just picture you doing a little dance to this...
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harleigh, if I lived closer to you, I''d TOTALLY go with you. But I got into another fender bender last week and am having panic attacks at the thought of driving most of the time... so my poor John is my beleaguered driver for the time being. Wanna come to Walnut Creek? I can get there.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
Harleigh, I think 5 looks best on you, but I think you should keep looking. Have you tried on this from David''s Bridal?

If you are still trying to figure out what you are looking for in a dress, I would recommend going to a higher end boutique and having them help you figure it out. The have less dresses for you to look through and smaller sample sizes.

I''m sorry your dress shopping experience wasn''t a better one, but I promise you, your dress is out there.

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi Harleigh!

Of the five, I definitely like #5 the best. It looks great on you! I really really do not like the look of #4. To me, it does look a bit trampy. The other ones are just eh. I hope you dont mind the honesty! i agree with many of the others that you should keep looking but 5 is def an option.

Good luck!

Neveah

Shiny_Rock
Harleigh...
I''m going to start a thread.... FIND A DRESS FOR HARLEIGH! Anyway I thouht of you when I saw this... would look amazing on that killer figure of yours. And I think it''s the perfect style for a destination wedding!

1585_front.jpg

Neveah

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the back. It''s a Dere Kiang..... Ive found those dresses to be in the $500 range.... a little more but worth it!

1585_back.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results