carat
color
clarity

I want the old PS, and I want it NOW!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1289768384|2765845 said:
I gain weight if I even so much as look at a cake.
My spots are like a join the dots puzzle.
Medical conditons... how long have you got?
Jewellery is the only thing that keeps me alive.

You are such a braggart about the mere physical (see above)! If Pink Tower had known your CV she would have leapt out a window rather than to have faced the possibility of leading a life half as challenging as the one you led! The number of children you raised with the medical challenges they presented to you...not to mentioned your interesting husbands. I mean, yours was not the life of a woman whose fortitude one questions! Gaining weight from eating cake should be the least of your problems!!!

Deb
:read:

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1289775848|2765950 said:
fiery|1289774547|2765924 said:
hawaiianorangetree|1289709538|2765291 said:
Curious about FB/PS people I did a search a few days ago and came up with quite a few people (wasn't hard really since so many people seemed to have changed their last name to pricescope :cheeky: ) and I saw exactly what Aoife is speaking of. No wonder this place is
going down hill so fast when you see comments like "everyone is here" and "I'm so glad we have all found each other!!" it's all just
contributing to the demise of the forums because people ARE getting their fix elsewhere!
I dont care if people find each other on FB,
each to their own, and i dont care that i am not a part of the purple circle and am largely ignored around here but what i don't understand is why people are calling for the old pricescope to return when they themselves are
(indirectly) contributing to it's demise when they are getting their PS fix on FB.

I just saw what purplesilk had to say and I couldn't agree more. New people aren't accepted by the old people and the gap between us is getting wider and wider. Old people reply to the old people and new people are ignored even when they have something valid to say. I just don't get it.

Whoever started that group needs to put in tighter controls...or people need to find the privacy settings on their profile page and lock that sucker down!

I keep posting this but its like nobody is reading it. We aren't posting in the FB PS group! We are posting on our own individual FB pages!

Please see bolded.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Pink Tower|1289763386|2765788 said:
Dear Maisie,

We can have a special consortium to consider your qualifications.
Do you gain weight for no reason when you used to be able to eat like a pig?
Do you have acne worse than you did as a teenager?
Do you have any strange medical condition that would bore the average person to tears?
Do you love jewelry, and not just your first engagement ring?
These are just a few examples of what might give you an entry key. Beyond that, we would have to check with Uppy. She would cast the final vote in the event of a tie.

:bigsmile:
Okay, Maisie,
Uppy has decreed that you may be in with the in crowd and I concur.
Packy, you too. Just don't go telling everyone.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fiery|1289776898|2765965 said:
Maisie|1289775848|2765950 said:
fiery|1289774547|2765924 said:
hawaiianorangetree|1289709538|2765291 said:
Curious about FB/PS people I did a search a few days ago and came up with quite a few people (wasn't hard really since so many people seemed to have changed their last name to pricescope :cheeky: ) and I saw exactly what Aoife is speaking of. No wonder this place is
going down hill so fast when you see comments like "everyone is here" and "I'm so glad we have all found each other!!" it's all just
contributing to the demise of the forums because people ARE getting their fix elsewhere!
I dont care if people find each other on FB,
each to their own, and i dont care that i am not a part of the purple circle and am largely ignored around here but what i don't understand is why people are calling for the old pricescope to return when they themselves are
(indirectly) contributing to it's demise when they are getting their PS fix on FB.

I just saw what purplesilk had to say and I couldn't agree more. New people aren't accepted by the old people and the gap between us is getting wider and wider. Old people reply to the old people and new people are ignored even when they have something valid to say. I just don't get it.

Whoever started that group needs to put in tighter controls...or people need to find the privacy settings on their profile page and lock that sucker down!

I keep posting this but its like nobody is reading it. We aren't posting in the FB PS group! We are posting on our own individual FB pages!

Please see bolded.

I'm not sure I understand the thrust of this post.... :confused:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm confused too. What needs locking down? :confused:

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Someone said they can view comments on FB pages. I said security settings should be checked either on the group pages or the profile pages. Maise said (defensively) that no one is posting on FB group pages just profiles. I highlighted where I said profile page privacy settings should be looked at. The end.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pink Tower|1289778697|2765991 said:
Pink Tower|1289763386|2765788 said:
Dear Maisie,

We can have a special consortium to consider your qualifications.
Do you gain weight for no reason when you used to be able to eat like a pig?
Do you have acne worse than you did as a teenager?
Do you have any strange medical condition that would bore the average person to tears?
Do you love jewelry, and not just your first engagement ring?
These are just a few examples of what might give you an entry key. Beyond that, we would have to check with Uppy. She would cast the final vote in the event of a tie.

:bigsmile:
Okay, Maisie,
Uppy has decreed that you may be in with the in crowd and I concur.
Packy, you too. Just don't go telling everyone.

I shall be the epitome of discretion.

I'M IN! I'M IN!! WOOHOOO!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
fiery|1289779849|2766010 said:
Someone said they can view comments on FB pages. I said security settings should be checked either on the group pages or the profile pages. Maise said (defensively) that no one is posting on FB group pages just profiles. I highlighted where I said profile page privacy settings should be looked at. The end.

Oh I get you! Thanks for clearing that up.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
old phart here.....

When I first joined PS I could read a days post in every sub-forum in under an hour and spend an hour or so going back and forth in near real time with people in RT.
Now I cant even keep up with RT and hang out in twice that amount of time and post some helpful answers.
It is really a different board now.
It is not possible to know everyone like back then.
That is just the way boards work they evolve and grow.

Some of the battles myself Alj mara and others had were epic :} but there were lines we did not cross and at the end of the day we respected each other.

That is the key thing I see missing at times, respect for the board and respect for each other.
What is the answer? The regulars both old and new have to set the bar high and with the help of the admin/mods keep the standards high.
The admin/mods can't do it by themselves it has to be the community that keeps the standards high both by setting a good example and saying hey that is to far and if it is really bad alert the admin/mods.

Karl

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1289780112|2766015 said:
old phart here.....

When I first joined PS I could read a days post in every sub-forum in under an hour and spend an hour or so going back and forth in near real time with people in RT.
Now I cant even keep up with RT and hang out in twice that amount of time and post some helpful answers.

Some of the battles myself Alj mara and others had were epic :} but there were lines we did not cross and at the end of the day we respected each other.

That is the key thing I see missing at times, respect for the board and respect for each other.
What is the answer? The regulars both old and new have to set the bar high and with the help of the admin/mods keep the standards high.
The admin/mods can't do it by themselves it has to be the community that keeps the standards high both by setting a good example and saying hey that is to far and if it is really bad alert the admin/mods.

Karl

The old phart speaks wisdom. :bigsmile:

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I have read the first page only... I just have a very limited time on the net everday :(

What I would like to happen, is when someone asks for an opinion or posts a poll, and you offer yours with an explanation is to perhaps be open to these people's words - even if it's an unpopular opinion and written concisely. Try to put aside "being" hurt and try to take things with a grain of salt.

When posting on a forum, we all should put the high horse attitude on hold and try to roll with the punches per se. It is all in the delivery and how the delivery is read. Open mind, open heart = open doors allowing an easy flow of opinions and higher level of understanding.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I am befuddled. PS is made up of the people who participate in its' forums. Wanting "the old PS" back would require retooling the site, banning newer members, forcing those who have moved on to come back, etc. The tone of the board has changed mulitiple times in the 4+ years I've been here and will surely change again. Participate where you, the collective you, are interested, don't bother with what you are not, start threads about topics that you think will drae the sort of dialogue you seek, and don't worry so much about what anyone else is doing. If one has done all of those things and still isn't happy with what they get out of participating perhaps it's time to move on.

argylemarionette

Rough_Rock
I can tell you exactly when Pricescope started going to the dogs in one word...

That was the demise. Period.
Prior to our little net nanny we did our own moderating and used social awareness to reign in those who were hurtful or just plain PITA's. :tongue:

Strangely enough it worked. It worked quite well in fact. We were cohesive. We were responsible adults. We did NOT need a self righteous person to tell us what we could discuss, or to zap entire threads into oblivion. Funny how that worked huh? Now that there is a moderator the overly sensitive go running to mommy and mommy hands out time outs. Of course the whiner learns nothing about getting along in the virtual world, and eventually people just walk away from such sillyness. As a result, long timers may feel that since Pricescope was not loyal to them, they no longer feel loyalty to Pricescope. Why invest yourself with any geniune input if you are subject to dictatorial whims? Yes, there were threads that got snarky. Yes, sometimes feelings were hurt. However, the group as a whole would speak out and the wrong doer would typically feel shamed and apologize. Self censoring was far more effective than heavy handed attempts at moderating in the name of puppy dog tails and rainbow farts. Just my humble opinion.

Don't kid yourself that moderation was brought in to save the feelings of people. It was brought in to keep the numbers up. Pricescope 2.0 is all about the benjamins. Just look at some of the more recent sponsored advertisers. :rolleyes:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
argylemarionette|1289791631|2766228 said:

Prior to our little net nanny we did our own moderating and used social awareness to reign in those who were hurtful or just plain PITA's. :tongue:

Strangely enough it worked. It worked quite well in fact. We were cohesive. We were responsible adults. We did NOT need a self righteous person to tell us what we could discuss, or to zap entire threads into oblivion. Funny how that worked huh? Now that there is a moderator the overly sensitive go running to mommy and mommy hands out time outs. Of course the whiner learns nothing about getting along in the virtual world, and eventually people just walk away from such sillyness. As a result, long timers may feel that since Pricescope was not loyal to them, they no longer feel loyalty to Pricescope. Why invest yourself with any geniune input if you are subject to dictatorial whims? Yes, there were threads that got snarky. Yes, sometimes feelings were hurt. However, the group as a whole would speak out and the wrong doer would typically feel shamed and apologize. Self censoring was far more effective than heavy handed attempts at moderating in the name of puppy dog tails and rainbow farts. Just my humble opinion.

Don't kid yourself that moderation was brought in to save the feelings of people. It was brought in to keep the numbers up. Pricescope 2.0 is all about the benjamins. Just look at some of the more recent sponsored advertisers. :rolleyes:

Says the poster with 15 posts?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Let see... I joined in 2004 and the forum was being moderated back then...

Can you please explain when the forum was not moderated...

Perry

argylemarionette

Rough_Rock
I was referring to moderating by other than the owners. They seemed to be far less opressive in their need for control, and more willing to allow situations to resolve themselves among adult posters.

Having a hired moderator was a recent event this year.

Only a fool would think that post count or join date had anything to do with how long someone may have been participating in Pricescope :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have been on my radar for a while, argyle (argyll seems more correct to me, somehow). I think you are quite savvy. Why do you act as if Pricescope being moderated is a new development? I am not arguing with you; obviously you have some information to impart. I am asking because Ella is not the first moderator that we have had on Pricescope. Ali moderated before her and, I thought, quite well.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
argylemarionette|1289793148|2766262 said:
I was referring to moderating by other than the owners. They seemed to be far less opressive in their need for control, and more willing to allow situations to resolve themselves among adult posters.

Only a fool would think that post count or join date had anything to do with how long someone may have been participating in Pricescope :))

argylemarionette.. Now that's a long name to type...

Andrey took over PS at least two years ago...

Leonid and Irina, the ones who started PS ( Bless them and miss them) sold it... I don't know who is behind the curtain.. I do know Andrey is a great guy, and Ella is wonderful, she's open minded,,

We are at a cross roads so to speak.. I hope we make that jump and continue on, as we have been doing for many years... I know I will be here helping as much as I can. As long as the vibe isn't immature... I have had enough of that. :rolleyes:
Hope that helps, I got side tracked with a phone call..

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
KimberlyH|1289790673|2766213 said:
I am befuddled. PS is made up of the people who participate in its' forums. Wanting "the old PS" back would require retooling the site, banning newer members, forcing those who have moved on to come back, etc. The tone of the board has changed mulitiple times in the 4+ years I've been here and will surely change again. Participate where you, the collective you, are interested, don't bother with what you are not, start threads about topics that you think will drae the sort of dialogue you seek, and don't worry so much about what anyone else is doing. If one has done all of those things and still isn't happy with what they get out of participating perhaps it's time to move on.

Bingo! Succcint and to the point. And exactly right.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, sometimes feelings were hurt. However, the group as a whole would speak out and the wrong doer would typically feel shamed and apologize. Self censoring was far more effective than heavy handed attempts at moderating in the name of puppy dog tails and rainbow farts. Just my humble opinion.

Heh, any attempts to shame the nasty posters would send up the hue-and-cry over NET NANNIES! The fearsome, anonymous users who felt they could backseat mod a forum which already had moderators, thank you very much, and in fact the pro-self-censoring vs. anti-net-nanny debate culminated in a decision by the mods to emphasize that posters should report offensive posts instead of taking it upon themselves to chastise another member, because of the ensuing mess.

However, I remain grateful to the so-accused 'net nanny' who stepped into a thread of mine about not wanting/disliking children to defend me from increasingly hysterical replies that culminated in someone accusing me of running down small children with a shopping cart in grocery stores. :mrgreen: I don't remember your name, but thank you again for slowing down the crazy train! :wavey:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just curious about why you don't just post your feelings under your real PS name?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you had read the thread I believe you would have seen several people (including myself) who commented on the changes in what was being allowed for discussion. If you have been following PS you would have seen the same comments in multiple threads. I believe most of those key changes occurred before a moderator was officially hired.

However, I am really curious as to why a supposed long term PSer would feel the need to start posting under a new name?

We have had a few people who have changed names when they transitioned into or out of the industry (trade). But other than that - it really makes me wonder why someone would change names... I am sure that others are going to be wondering as well.

Now perhaps you have a good reason - If so let us know why you feel that you needed to change user names.

Have a great day,

Perry

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
perry|1289826513|2766447 said:

If you had read the thread I believe you would have seen several people (including myself) who commented on the changes in what was being allowed for discussion. If you have been following PS you would have seen the same comments in multiple threads. I believe most of those key changes occurred before a moderator was officially hired.

However, I am really curious as to why a supposed long term PSer would feel the need to start posting under a new name?

We have had a few people who have changed names when they transitioned into or out of the industry (trade). But other than that - it really makes me wonder why someone would change names... I am sure that others are going to be wondering as well.

Now perhaps you have a good reason - If so let us know why you feel that you needed to change user names.

Have a great day,

Perry

Given the topic(s) of discussion of late, Is it really that hard to figure out a 'why', Perry?

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm... I'm not an old poster, per se, however I've been around a couple years and lurking a few years before that and I've seen a drastic change in the general feel here. Not sure if its because my life progressed or because everyone here changed, but I dont get the same warm fuzzy feeling about joining in on here as much as I used to.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1289780312|2766018 said:
Karl_K|1289780112|2766015 said:
old phart here.....

Karl

The old phart speaks wisdom. :bigsmile:

Right on Karl!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
KimberlyH|1289790673|2766213 said:

DING DING DING DING DING.

Kimberly, thank you for your post. I tried to say something similar in Cehra's other thread, but it sure as hell did not come out as succinctly as you have put it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
deleted

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I completely agree that we can't have the old PS back (though I do miss it). So here's what I'm going to do - I'm going to post the way I want to post. I'm not going to hedge, and I'm not going to apologize for my opinions. If I want straight forward PS back, I'm going to have to be a straight forward PSer. I'll be more like I am IRL, and less focused on coating everything in sunshine and puppies farting rainbows.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1289834799|2766592 said:
Okay, I completely agree that we can't have the old PS back (though I do miss it). So here's what I'm going to do - I'm going to post the way I want to post. I'm not going to hedge, and I'm not going to apologize for my opinions. If I want straight forward PS back, I'm going to have to be a straight forward PSer. I'll be more like I am IRL, and less focused on coating everything in sunshine and puppies farting rainbows.

I agree with this.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1289834799|2766592 said:

This ... my 4 paragraphs on the prev pages were basically saying this. :bigsmile: If everyone did this (and IDEALLY if everyone else didn't assume that people speaking frankly were somehow talking directly to them) then I think a lot more of the spirit would come into play.

I also agree with whoever else said that you can't get something OLD back again. It's like a relationship...it changes and may wax or wane but you can't ever 'recapture' old magic. It's about building something on top of the old base but ideally better than before--or just something stronger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results