shape
carat
color
clarity

I want honest opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 5:47:00 PM
Author: RubyCharm
Stepcutgirl, what about a color change sapphire? They are beautiful and very unique! Here''s one from the NSC that caught my attention:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Unique/U2018/Cushion/stoneid=U2018

Also, the NSC sometimes offers great discounts (you might want to inquire about any current specials). When I got my star ruby from Palagems via the NSC, their discount didn''t apply to my purchase because my star ruby was not part of their inventory, but I was offered a great discount on the star rubies that were in their stock at that time.

I like this one best of all of the ones shown so far

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My choice for you, stepcutgirl, if you don''t go with that first bi-color---this Richard Homer. The color is amazing!
10.gif

CornflowerBlueSapphire.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
It''s in my budget, it''s beautiful and I like the size. But I dunno...it doesn''t call to me.
15.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Flygirl we must have been posting at the same time last night because I didn''t see that post about the Richard Homer! I was commenting on the bi color from NSC! That stone from RH is beautiful but out of my price range.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Have you consider cabs?

This is a JM purple sapphire ring I am coveting.

r-1331.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I can say I have never given them a single look. I don''t know why. The stone I first posted in no way screams engagement stone and thats what I think when I see cabs. But there really are beautiful ones out there. What is the main difference, just no facets? And aren''t cabs usually opaque?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 9:17:34 AM
Author: stepcutgirl
Flygirl we must have been posting at the same time last night because I didn''t see that post about the Richard Homer! I was commenting on the bi color from NSC! That stone from RH is beautiful but out of my price range.
stepcutgirl - I was wondering about that. Only 13 seconds to review my post, type out your reply and get it posted.
6.gif
I figured it was either about the earlier stone, or else you really, really, really hated RH.
2.gif

Good to have an idea about your price range. That helps.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well bf and I haven''t discussed a budget per se. But I personally would like to keep it around 5k total and the setting is about 2k of that so about 3k for a stone. However I might do up to 4k for the perfect stone. I can''t stop going back and looking at the first stone I posted though. It talks to me! I so want to see it in person!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 9:40:29 AM
I can say I have never given them a single look. I don''t know why. The stone I first posted in no way screams engagement stone and thats what I think when I see cabs. But there really are beautiful ones out there. What is the main difference, just no facets? And aren''t cabs usually opaque?
I think sometimes stones are cut into cabs because they are not faceting quality? Although you''re right some are really beautiful and transulent and not all of them are opaque.
Also some stones can''t be faceted easily I think. Most opals and jadeites are cabs, in the case of jadeites I have never seen a faceted stone.

This jadeite ring is rather nice and pretty transulent, it''s not opaque.

Also have you seen Rubycharm''s star ruby e-ring? It''s really stunning.

2009414132318997.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Just re-read the thread and mr ma re already suggested cabs!

S you have a nice budget I''m sure you''ll find something you love. Another thought would you consider spinels?

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
OMG that is a beauty you posted! Wow! I haven''t ever considered spinals. Are they as durable for everyday wear as sapphires? I''ve always been a sapphire girl so I have never considered anything else before, but I don''t see why I shouldn''t.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 10:34:01 AM
Well bf and I haven''t discussed a budget per se. But I personally would like to keep it around 5k total and the setting is about 2k of that so about 3k for a stone. However I might do up to 4k for the perfect stone. I can''t stop going back and looking at the first stone I posted though. It talks to me! I so want to see it in person!
I think you should write Ed, and figure out a way to take a look at that bi-color sapphire. If you don''t, you will always be wondering. It may be very clear in person that it isn''t for you. But again, it might be the one.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well I wrote to him and he said it is not cloudy at all. The only trouble is you have to pay it in full to see it, you can''t have it shipped to an appraiser and look at it first. I think as soon as we can get the deposit amount needed to hold it I''m going to. If we pay it off and I get it and hate it, I can return it for a refund or exchange for another. And who knows maybe by the time we pay it off there will be more funds available and I can keep it and get another for my ering if I don''t love it irl as much as I do on the web site. I''m just worried someone will come along before I get that darn deposit on it!

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 9:40:29 AM
I can say I have never given them a single look. I don't know why. The stone I first posted in no way screams engagement stone and thats what I think when I see cabs. But there really are beautiful ones out there. What is the main difference, just no facets? And aren't cabs usually opaque?

In my humble opinion, people who are best suited to wearing an esoteric and unconventional engagement ring are those who don't really care whether their ring screams "engagement ring" to other people. All you care about is that YOU love it and that YOU know its real meaning. If that's not the case, then I would advice that you get a more traditional looking stone (because, believe me, you'll be mortified with the comments that some people will inevitably make, and won't truly enjoy wearing your e-ring after all). For example, I got a star ruby as my engagement stone, because I'm absolutely fascinated by star rubies (especially the one I got!). I know a lot of people might think "star sapphire/ruby = man ring gemstone," but it doesn't bother me in the slightest, because my stone screams engagement stone TO ME.

As far as cabs go, I think you really must love cabs in order to have one as the centerpiece of your e-ring. If you don't, I think it's better for you to get a faceted stone. I personally like the look of certain ruby and sapphire cabochons that are relatively transparent (and if you add the star effect, then I'm sold on them!). Cabochons are generally more included than faceted stones, but some of them have great clarity and are not what I would refer to as "opaque." Here is a good example of a fine ruby cabochon:

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=2158

Regarding the Wildfish sapphire, if you really feel that stone speaks to you, I think you should go with it (you could always make use of the return policy and send it back to Ed if you don't absolutely love it in real life).

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ruby I have to say, my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw your ring. I had never considered a ring like that but I just adore yours! I know what you are saying about what people will say...well actually I don''t, I only guess. I was telling my boyfriend that if I get that wildfish stone that I will be explaining that until the day I die to somebody. I don''t think that bothers me though. What do people say to you about yours?

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 12:27:49 PM
Ruby I have to say, my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw your ring. I had never considered a ring like that but I just adore yours! I know what you are saying about what people will say...well actually I don''t, I only guess. I was telling my boyfriend that if I get that wildfish stone that I will be explaining that until the day I die to somebody. I don''t think that bothers me though. What do people say to you about yours?

Thank you for the lovely compliment!
1.gif

Most people who know me have made nice and polite comments, because they can see how my e-ring is "very much like me." It''s not completely unexpected to them, since I''m an indie type of girl. For example, I wear prescription eyeglasses, and my favorite frames (which I''m wearing right now, by the way) are
these. Kind of unusual, but I love them. My mom said something like "Oh, OK" when she first saw me wearing them. Her reaction to my e-ring wasn''t that much different (something like "Oh, pretty"). What can I say? I appreciate her honesty, and our styles are VERY VERY VERY different, and one thing I won''t do is get something that SHE likes (but I don''t), so that she can finally flatter me with her words. I''m thrilled with my e-ring, and that''s all that matters to me because, after all, I''m the only one who will be wearing it. I''m not the type of person who enjoys fishing for compliments, so as long as the comments are well-meant, I don''t mind if sometimes they''re not so enthusiastic.

An unconventional e-ring is probably not the best choice if appearances are important to you. You''ll inevitably run into people who will think you got a colored stone e-ring because your FI couldn''t afford a diamond e-ring (although that might not be the case at all). I''ve only had my e-ring for a few days, but somebody already told me something like "It''s simply gorgeous, and if your FI gets you a diamond e-ring down the line, you can give your star ruby ring to your daughter on her 16th birthday!" and I don''t even have any children yet!!!
20.gif
(or any future plans to replace my e-ring!!!). So, yes, you''ll probably experience some awkward moments if your e-ring is not what would be considered the norm in your social environment, but it''s up to you to decide whether you''ll be OK with all of that. In my case, my e-ring is totally worth all those inconveniences, because it''s truly the ring of my dreams, and I would not be happy with something else.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that''s the stone SCG wants, I would never argue that. I think my issue, as well as others, is the fact that it might not be worth the price paid. You might be able to get something comparable for less money.

RubyCharm,
Your star ruby is exquisite, and something I would be proud to wear as an e-ring. It''s not conventional, but it''s still beautiful.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow LovingGems, that is a gorgeous ring! I just love jade, yummy.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 4:20:39 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Wow LovingGems, that is a gorgeous ring! I just love jade, yummy.
I agree! That is stunning!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, I almost fell of my chair when I saw that ring. It''s stunning. Can we have a bigger picture in the eyecandy thread as to not overtake this one?
31.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
RC-I love those glasses! Thanks for your opinion. I know I want a sapphire in some form so I''m fairly prepared for the looks and snide remarks. While my social circle is like yours , they know me and think it fits me, I expect resistance from my boyfriends work associations but thats all. Even those close to him know both of us and just want us to be happy.

Sigh...I keep trying to know what the right thing to do is or looking to find more stones but nothing yet has done for me what that stone from wildfish does.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Is tanzanite hard enough for a daily wear ring?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think so. It''s a 6 I think. I''ve seen some really pretty ones tho! Are you looking for purpley colors? What about amethyst or spinel?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 5:15:11 PM
RC-I love those glasses! Thanks for your opinion. I know I want a sapphire in some form so I'm fairly prepared for the looks and snide remarks. While my social circle is like yours , they know me and think it fits me, I expect resistance from my boyfriends work associations but thats all. Even those close to him know both of us and just want us to be happy.

Sigh...I keep trying to know what the right thing to do is or looking to find more stones but nothing yet has done for me what that stone from wildfish does.
What exactly is it about the Wildfish gems stone that you love? The two colors in one? If you tell us more precisely what you are looking for, it will give everyone a better idea of what to look for. At least this way, you'll have more options to consider, and perhaps you might even save some money. We can pull sapphires out of our hat all day long
2.gif
, but if you can be specific on exactly what it is you are looking for in a gem, that would be helpful.
21.gif

Tanzanite is a soft stone, and not good for everyday wear.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Tourmaline_lover: thank you, you are so sweet!
3.gif

And I agree with you that it would be very helpful if stepcutgirl could describe exactly what she loves about the Wildfish bi-color stone so that people can suggest good alternatives.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 5:59:53 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 6/12/2009 5:15:11 PM

RC-I love those glasses! Thanks for your opinion. I know I want a sapphire in some form so I''m fairly prepared for the looks and snide remarks. While my social circle is like yours , they know me and think it fits me, I expect resistance from my boyfriends work associations but thats all. Even those close to him know both of us and just want us to be happy.

What exactly is it about the Wildfish gems stone that you love? The two colors in one? If you tell us more precisely what you are looking for, it will give everyone a better idea of what to look for. At least this way, you''ll have more options to consider, and perhaps you might even save some money. We can pull sapphires out of our hat all day long
2.gif
, but if you can be specific on exactly what it is you are looking for in a gem, that would be helpful.
21.gif

Tanzanite is a soft stone, and not good for everyday wear.

Ok, I''m going to try to explain what I like about it so much, but what I like about it clashes with why I like but don''t love the NSC colorchange.

I like the several colors on one stone (however I really like solid colored sapphires too and am crazy over a wild violet one on wildfish), I like that the colors are very substantial and stand out from each other.

That being said like I posted above I''m in love with one he calls wild violet on his page that is quite pale (but vivid) and all one color. The reason I think I''m not in love with the NSC color change one is that even though it is a color change on it''s "blue" side it''s not actually blue, it''s mixed blue and purple but they are similar colors.

There was another poster who posted a pink and purple mixed color (not color change) sapphire that I really liked as well but it was not from a reputable dealer.

Does that help?

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Stepcutgirl: here are two color change sapphires that look amazing...

2.51 ct. Ceylon Natural Color Change Sapphire

2.10 ct. Natural Color Change Sapphire

Both are from Cherrypicked.com, which is a trusted vendor. The first one is available for sure. The second one has been labeled as "reserved" for quite some time (I love browsing Cherrypicked for fun, and that particular gem caught my attention before). However, when I was looking for the perfect stone for my e-ring, I called Richard at Cherrypicked and had one of his gems delivered to me for review. He gives you plenty of time (like two weeks) for you to decide whether you''d like to keep the gem or not. If you decide within the first week that you''d like to keep the gem, he''ll give you a discount. I ended up returning the gem that he sent to me (which was amazing, by the way), because I fell in love with a star ruby from Palagems. The gem that I looked at has been labeled as "reserved" since then, but I never purchased it. So, maybe the "reserved" color change sapphire is still available.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results