shape
carat
color
clarity

I want honest opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 2:24:58 AM
Author: Edward Bristol
I am afriad now you compare the cost of national Fedex with those of international 48h UPS shipment.

Hehe, yup. I'm fully aware of that. That's why I always wrote "from my perspective." When I'm shopping for something, I compare all of my options in terms of costs and benefits, regardless of whether the vendors are domestically or internationally located. Unless the costs & benefits of purchasing something from abroad significantly outweigh the costs & benefits of purchasing something within the U.S., I won't be purchasing anything from the seller located abroad, to simplify things. Moreover, nothing is ever really free. "Free things" always cost something (no extra fees = hidden fees). If I buy something with a free feature that is useless to me and I have to pay extra to upgrade it (so that it becomes useful), I'll feel like I'm paying double.

In the end, I'm just a consumer and this is a consumer advocate site, where I'm allowed to voice my opinion. If I had typed "Wildfish is more expensive than Cherrypicked" as a FACT, not as my PERSONAL OPINION, then I could sympathize with your reaction. But, except for the comments I made about your sold jade (which I regret and apologize for), I stand behind what I typed earlier. And, I'd like to add the following: I bet the outcome of this discussion, which you initiated, would have been a lot more beneficial to your business if you had typed something like this:

RubyCharm, I'm sorry to hear you got that impression from Wildfish. We hope you understand that Wildfish is committed to [insert benefits of dealing with Wildfish] while still making [insert valid reason; e.g., social/environmental causes, etc.] one of our top priorities... [Emphasizing the positive side of your business]

Instead of this:

RubyCharm, Wildfish MORE expensive than Cherrypicked??? You got to be kidding! No way. I am shocked.

And, no, I don't think the cherry-score tells you much especially when you are a beginner. It is not giving you any information at all!

Sorry, Richard, no offense and all, but how do we come up with pedigree or tone score without any reference or evaluation?
[Putting down the competition]

When dealing with prospective customers (not just people who already purchased something from you!), a friendly attitude always goes a long way
2.gif

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 12:15:19 PM
Author: RubyCharm
Date: 6/24/2009 2:24:58 AM

I am afriad now you compare the cost of national Fedex with those of international 48h UPS shipment.

Hehe, yup. I'm fully aware of that. That's why I always wrote 'from my perspective.' When I'm shopping for something, I compare all of my options in terms of costs and benefits, regardless of whether the vendors are domestically or internationally located. Unless the costs & benefits of purchasing something from abroad significantly outweigh the costs & benefits of purchasing something within the U.S., I won't be purchasing anything from the seller located abroad, to simplify things. Moreover, nothing is ever really free. 'Free things' always cost something (no extra fees = hidden fees). If I buy something with a free feature that is useless to me and I have to pay extra to upgrade it (so that it becomes useful), I'll feel like I'm paying double.

In the end, I'm just a consumer and this is a consumer advocate site, where I'm allowed to voice my opinion. If I had typed 'Wildfish is more expensive than Cherrypicked' as a FACT, not as my PERSONAL OPINION, then I could sympathize with your reaction. But, except for the comments I made about your sold jade (which I regret and apologize for), I stand behind what I typed earlier. And, I'd like to add the following: I bet the outcome of this discussion, which you initiated, would have been a lot more beneficial to your business if you had typed something like this:

RubyCharm, I'm sorry to hear you got that impression from Wildfish. We hope you understand that Wildfish is committed to [insert benefits of dealing with Wildfish] while still making [insert valid reason; e.g., social/environmental causes, etc.] one of our top priorities... [Emphasizing the positive side of your business]

Instead of this:

RubyCharm, Wildfish MORE expensive than Cherrypicked??? You got to be kidding! No way. I am shocked.

And, no, I don't think the cherry-score tells you much especially when you are a beginner. It is not giving you any information at all!

Sorry, Richard, no offense and all, but how do we come up with pedigree or tone score without any reference or evaluation?
[Putting down the competition]

When dealing with prospective customers (not just people who already purchased something from you!), a friendly attitude always goes a long way
2.gif

Not that it really matters (since I guess you'll still get my point), but when I wrote the "costs & benefits," I meant "the combined evaluation of costs and benefits." (The way I first wrote it could sound a bit misleading).

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I am a newbe, but I recently bought a sapphire (in fact my boyf did, but you know what I mean) from Ed, and I was completely happy. I ve never bought a piece of ''good'' jewelry before, never to mind a loose gem from an online vendor, so I can t do a comparison. But, Ed answered my hundred and one questions fully, and with good humor. We liked his policies on sustainability etc. And we trusted him. He gave us a 10% discount. The postage took 2 days. The gem was packed nicely. The stone itself surpassed our expectations. We wanted something a little different, but beautiful, and thats what we got. All in all the buying experience was really pleasant.
I d really like to know how stepcutgirl is getting on with her search. I m rooting for her to get the stone she wants. Since both our stones are going to James Meyer, and we seem to have similar tastes in sapphires, I m dying to know how she gets on.....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ed, I have absolutely no axe to grind with any vendor on here. I buy many many gemstones (more than I should!) but I have never bought from you because (a) I find your prices are generally as high or higher than elsewhere (b) many of your gemstones are poorly cut and I can usually find a better cut gemstone of similar carat weight, treatment/non treatment, colour etc., cheaper elsewhere and (c) your photos (for me) don''t sell the gemstones. I don''t know why but they don''t scream "buy me".

I always do a lengthy search and compare many vendors before buying. I don''t buy from one or two vendors, as I tend to spread my hard earned cash around! I do hope that you take this feedback in the spirit it''s intended and that''s to explain how people may view your website and not buy.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stepcutgirl - I am lucky enough to own quite a few colour change sapphires and the one thing I would say to bear in mind is that whilst in it''s "blue" state a sapphire may appear darker than you would want but it may look very different in its "purple" state (that''s assuming you''re looking for that colour way). That''s not always the case but I wouldn''t want you to discount a gemstone without seeing a few in person.

Some sapphires have a high degree of colour change and look completely different during the day and night. You may like it in one state and not the other. Some have a weaker colour change and although not as dramatic, they have a great persona as you often see the colours mixing more and there''s more of a "flash" of the other colour rather than a block. I hope that makes sense!

Here''s a few of mine. The top one has a phenomenal colour change. The photos are exactly the colour I see but you''ll see if you ever try to take photographs of a colour change gemstone that it''s near impossible and it''s hit and miss until you get a photo that really represents what your eyes see!

In the second bracelet there''s a bi-coloured colour change sapphire. There are actually two in this bracelet and both sides change colour! I don''t like the daytime look of either of these bracelets as the sapphires lack that heart stopping colour I reach for. However at night these bracelets come alive in their other colour!

I''m sure you''ll find a beautiful gemstone but with colour change sapphires you may be looking for a while until your "one" comes along.

p.s. I''ve also attached a picture of a very poorly cut multi coloured sapphire I own so you can see one in real life - if you know what I mean!
2.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mousey-I am still on the hunt but must admit I have not come across a sapphire yet that does for me what my original one posted does. The bf and I are currently splitsville (though I highly suspect this will be short lasting) and I am about to start a new job so I''m very hopeful it will be available after my first paycheck. I decided I don''t need him to buy it! I can buy it and see if irl it does for me what the photos do.

LD-What a lucky lady you are to have such a collection! That was very helpful and very cool. I''m not certain what color I''m doing for which makes it difficult. Before I saw the original one this thread was started with I was dead set on a beautiful kasmir blue...then I discovered multi colored ones. Who knows maybe I will make a ring with a multi colored one and get a "perfect" blue for my ering. But I seem to be drawn to the odd ones.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 7:59:06 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Mousey-I am still on the hunt but must admit I have not come across a sapphire yet that does for me what my original one posted does. The bf and I are currently splitsville (though I highly suspect this will be short lasting) and I am about to start a new job so I'm very hopeful it will be available after my first paycheck. I decided I don't need him to buy it! I can buy it and see if irl it does for me what the photos do.

LD-What a lucky lady you are to have such a collection! That was very helpful and very cool. I'm not certain what color I'm doing for which makes it difficult. Before I saw the original one this thread was started with I was dead set on a beautiful kasmir blue...then I discovered multi colored ones. Who knows maybe I will make a ring with a multi colored one and get a 'perfect' blue for my ering. But I seem to be drawn to the odd ones.

Oh, step, I'm very sorry to hear that!
15.gif
I'm sending lots of *dust* your way, and I hope everything gets resolved soon. Also, I'm sorry for the threadjack!

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
LD, your purple color change sapphire is gorgeous! The change is so dramatic & extreme that it's like having two different rings!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ruby and thread jack away! I''ve been entertained reading.
3.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 7:59:06 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Mousey-I am still on the hunt but must admit I have not come across a sapphire yet that does for me what my original one posted does. The bf and I are currently splitsville (though I highly suspect this will be short lasting) and I am about to start a new job so I'm very hopeful it will be available after my first paycheck. I decided I don't need him to buy it! I can buy it and see if irl it does for me what the photos do.

LD-What a lucky lady you are to have such a collection! That was very helpful and very cool. I'm not certain what color I'm doing for which makes it difficult. Before I saw the original one this thread was started with I was dead set on a beautiful kasmir blue...then I discovered multi colored ones. Who knows maybe I will make a ring with a multi colored one and get a 'perfect' blue for my ering. But I seem to be drawn to the odd ones.
stepcutgirl - I hope everything works out for you and your loved one. Best of luck on the new job.

I get it. None of the alternatives suggested seem quite as nifty to me as that bicolored wildfish sapphire. The reddish outer color with the blue center swirl. The violet glow where they meet. The nice size. It's different, it's cool, and I sure hope it looks as great to you in person as the pictures would suggest.
35.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks fly girl! I''m glad somebody gets it!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 2:43:56 AM
Author: Gypsy
You know Ed. PS has a long history of vendors who have lost potential business because of their defensive dogged bordering on rude posts. I have the following advice: On PS there is such a thing as BAD publicity. And I''d quit while you were ahead.
Agreed.

Jeepers.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

LovingDiamonds,
yes, you made me think:

Our technology and business model is rather old and odd (half a decade now seems an eternity).

When we started, there were not many people online. Those days, we pioneered and focused on the idea of untreated gems, a fair trade and care for the locals and their ecology; and I still feel like fighting that just cause, but... today there are other smart, honest, well-meaning competitors with good gems, great pictures and full service. It’s funny how things go!

TravelingGal, Gypsy, I won''t say another offensive word (even if it means turning the other cheek sometimes; a concept I am generally not opposed to).

RubyCharm, sorry I didn''t get the constructive criticism in your comments. I am probably too engaged, so I felt personally attacked. Human error, I guess.

Dreamy, thanks a lot.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 5:22:23 AM

LovingDiamonds,
yes, you made me think:

Our technology and business model is rather old and odd (half a decade now seems an eternity).

When we started, there were not many people online. Those days, we pioneered and focused on the idea of untreated gems, a fair trade and care for the locals and their ecology; and I still feel like fighting that just cause, but... today there are other smart, honest, well-meaning competitors with good gems, great pictures and full service. It’s funny how things go!

TravelingGal, Gypsy, I won't say another offensive word (even if it means turning the other cheek sometimes; a concept I am generally not opposed to).

RubyCharm, sorry I didn't get the constructive criticism in your comments. I am probably too engaged, so I felt personally attacked. Human error, I guess.

Dreamy, thanks a lot.

Ed, I don't have any hard feelings towards you or Wildfish. And, up until your first post, I never imagined that at some point I'd be typing the things that I did. I honestly was not trying to attack your or anyone. I was merely trying to defend my own stance and another reputable vendor at the same time. I wish I had done that differently, in a more diplomatic way. I'm also only human, and I sometimes let my emotions get the better of me. That's what happened this time, and I'm sorry.

As for your commercial website, I hope you won't mind my giving you a friendly piece of advice (both as a consumer and as somebody with a background in marketing). You need to be a little bit more proactive and keep an eye on the customer experience your website delivers to your visitors, so that you can make the right improvements at the right time. If you plan to update it, I think a greater focus on the environmentally friendly and socially responsible side of your business would allow you to capitalize better on the rising demand for environmentally friendly and socially conscious products. I know that you discuss the environmental/social issues somewhere on your website, but a lot of prospective buyers may not run into that information right from the beginning (I, for example, didn't). While your home page emphasizes the natural/untreated quality of your gemstones, it makes no mention to their eco-friendly nature or the fact that Wildfish is a socially responsible company--two very important things that a lot of people may be willing to pay a little extra for. If prospective customers don't move past your home page, they won't ever know that your gemstones are not only natural, but also nature friendly.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Don t know how to quote posts- bit stupid about these things, but
I think concentrating on the environmental policies, and ethical policies, and selling that is a really clever idea Rubycharm- I know a lot of people who would buy into this.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results