shape
carat
color
clarity

I want honest opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I like the shape of that one, but it is even darker than the first stone.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, it''s darker than the first. It''s why I really didn''t give it much thought but figured I may as well throw it in there.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Boy, I feel like I am being no help to you

ETA: I would like to make suggestions, but nothing is coming to mind

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
LOL. Nah, it''s all good. This is actually helpful. I learned so much about diamonds before deciding I wanted a sapphire engagement ring and I do believe it was much easier to pick out good diamonds!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Stepcutgirl,

I see why you love the first stone you posted! I really like the colors. I love stones with personality, and often battle with myself over them, knowing their "flaws". My major issue with this one would be the price. It is a sapphire, but to my eyes the cut is bad, and it does have a lot of inclusions. I would have reservations about the price in that respect.

Having said that. If it is THE stone, go for it. If you let it go, will you always regret it, will it stay to haunt you?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should keep looking for a stone that you will love. For that kind of budget, you could get a killer stone. Are you specifically looking for a color zone stone or for a sapphire or both?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
This is way off from anything you suggested but since I happen to love this stone, I''m going to throw it out there. This is an awesome stone and with Barry''s site discount of 15% on a stone of this price, it would be less than the original one you posted.

CR-4777B Cat''seye Chrysoberyl: 4.66 ct.
SKU: CR-4777B
Cat''seye Chrysoberyl (J) 4.66 ct. 9.1 x 11 mm. [Gec: N] Native oval cut. Very slightly included, highly translucent piece with slightly greyish medium light yellow color. Sharp and strong eye, that opens and closes. Good milk and honey effect.

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=34&idproduct=1296

I think this is a pretty rare stone. It may be larger than you want. It would be very durable I think and it would be gorgeous. I don''t think the word "greyish" in the description explains enough. If you are slightly interested, ask Barry for some opinions and extra pictures.

CR-4777B.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
About the sapphire; I personally wouldn''t pick something like that, but since purple and pink really aren''t my colors there are very few stones in those shades I''d actually buy. But what concernes me about it are the inclusions. They don''t only diminish the brilliance (which some people really don''t mind), but in some cases they can even affect the stone''s overall durability. I''d ask the vendor if there are any large inclusions or internal fractures in that stone (maybe even some additional pics), especially any close to the surface of the stone. If there are some, they might make the stone more prone to chipping or even breaking (spliting upon impact). But a good thing about such stones is that they hold their color better than many others and don''t darken as much upon setting (that''s why generally sleepy emeralds hold their color easier then generally sparkly sapphires).

Have you considered getting a cabochon instead of a faceted stone? Looks to me like you''d love some of them, as they often tend to be cut from such fun-looking, more included, multicolor pieces of rough, while not being so susceptible to damage caused by inclusions as faceted stones. Not to mention they''re generally much more affordable. Maybe it''s worth a shot.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
You will never find a stone that everyone likes. The inclusions bother me a tiny bit, but they shouldn''t be very visible when you are not scrutinising it under magnification. I think the color is really nice and that is important.
Get what you love!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inclusions would bother me because I expect them to be eye visible in most lighting, more so under bright lighting conditions. I also wonder if the bubbles might create a slight sleepy or hazy look that can’t always be picked up by the camera? I am also curious as to if the bubbles will affect the brilliance of the stone? As with others, I think his asking price is too much for a non-desired parti-coloured sapphire. While the colour isn’t something I’d choose for myself, colour is subjective so I will not comment on that.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your opinions. I do love the color and after talking to my boyfriend last night about what all had been brought to my attention he said maybe it might be better for a pendant. I like that idea because I really love the coloring of this stone. I''m not sure it''s in our budget to get this stone and another for my engagement ring but if it is I do think this would be a really cool pendant. Thank you for your help and I hope I won''t become too annoying if I start posting more like stones i''m interested in in the coming weeks and months while trying to find my ering stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t worry about asking too many questions. We are here to help. After all, one cannot learn without asking questions.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
"Thank you for your help and I hope I won''t become too annoying if I start posting more like stones i''m interested in in the coming weeks and months while trying to find my ering stone. "
I don''t think anyone will get annoyed. Folks love to give their opinion. Most of the people on here have been messing with jewelry and stones for a long time so their opinions hold some weight. They have sound advice. Let us know what you come across....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am Guy,
I hope you don’t mind a quick tip for quotations. Instead of cutting and pasting, if you hit the reply button on the post that you intent to quote, you can “capture” the quote using the quote button on the top left side of the edit page.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 9:47:10 AM
Author: amethystguy
''Thank you for your help and I hope I won''t become too annoying if I start posting more like stones i''m interested in in the coming weeks and months while trying to find my ering stone. ''
I don''t think anyone will get annoyed. Folks love to give their opinion. Most of the people on here have been messing with jewelry and stones for a long time so their opinions hold some weight. They have sound advice. Let us know what you come across....
Exactly, one of the reasons PS exists is to help consumers make a positive and rewarding purchase!! Many consumers are clueless about colored gems, so it helps to get advice here from collectors, gemologists and other gemophiles. I feel bad for the people that don''t ask any questions in Pricescope (think of all the $$$ they might save if they did!!).

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 9:39:24 AM
Author: stepcutgirl
Thank you for your help and I hope I won't become too annoying if I start posting more like stones i'm interested in in the coming weeks and months while trying to find my ering stone.

I've been doing so, and haven't received any "you're being annoying!" comments yet, so you should be fine! I look forward to seeing more stones in that colour range! It's a beautiful range! Makes me think you should put a rainbow sapphire wedding ring with it!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your opinions. I do love the color and after talking to my boyfriend last night about what all had been brought to my attention he said maybe it might be better for a pendant. I like that idea because I really love the coloring of this stone. I''m not sure it''s in our budget to get this stone and another for my engagement ring but if it is I do think this would be a really cool pendant. Thank you for your help and I hope I won''t become too annoying if I start posting more like stones i''m interested in in the coming weeks and months while trying to find my ering stone.
Late to this party, but I think you made a good call.

Okay, so you want 7mm (at least) and would prefer round. Right? Specifically in the pink/purple range?

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
This one is just over a millimetre off, but I really like it. Doesn''t seem too shallow, the clarity is good and the color is
30.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 12:15:25 PM
Author: geckodani

Late to this party, but I think you made a good call.

Okay, so you want 7mm (at least) and would prefer round. Right? Specifically in the pink/purple range?

Yes, at least 7mm but prefer around 8. Round or a square cushion. And actually if getting a solid color I really love the royal blue color. I like the pinks and purples but if a solid blue. However in a cool patterned mix I like the blues, pinks and purples.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 3:59:29 PM
Author: shimmer
Here''s a larger round purple from NSC http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Unique/U2433/Round/stoneid=U2433

ETA: I like this cushion http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Unique/U348/Cushion/stoneid=U348

ETA2: An oval bicolor! Looks like your original stone but less included! http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Unique/U2431/Oval/stoneid=U2431

Wow those are all beautiful! I hadn''t even thought to look at NSC because I thought they would be too expensive, but I''ll have to give them a look.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 12:11:18 AM
Author: cinnamon013
This is way off from anything you suggested but since I happen to love this stone, I''m going to throw it out there. This is an awesome stone and with Barry''s site discount of 15% on a stone of this price, it would be less than the original one you posted.

CR-4777B Cat''seye Chrysoberyl: 4.66 ct.

SKU: CR-4777B

Cat''seye Chrysoberyl (J) 4.66 ct. 9.1 x 11 mm. [Gec: N] Native oval cut. Very slightly included, highly translucent piece with slightly greyish medium light yellow color. Sharp and strong eye, that opens and closes. Good milk and honey effect.

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=34&idproduct=1296

I think this is a pretty rare stone. It may be larger than you want. It would be very durable I think and it would be gorgeous. I don''t think the word ''greyish'' in the description explains enough. If you are slightly interested, ask Barry for some opinions and extra pictures.

Very pretty, but I am a sapphire girl!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had a padparadscha pendant made by them and just love it. But make sure you do some research if you plan to get your setting from them, they had some problems with their palladium (pitting I think, which is a characteristic of the metal I think).

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that bicolor Shimmer posted!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Stepcutgirl, what about a color change sapphire? They are beautiful and very unique! Here''s one from the NSC that caught my attention:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Unique/U2018/Cushion/stoneid=U2018

Also, the NSC sometimes offers great discounts (you might want to inquire about any current specials). When I got my star ruby from Palagems via the NSC, their discount didn''t apply to my purchase because my star ruby was not part of their inventory, but I was offered a great discount on the star rubies that were in their stock at that time.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Just adding my thoughts....I am not in love with the first stone. My e-ring is my most sentimental piece I own. Hold out for the one that really calls to your heart. Am excited to see what you choose!!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Shimmer-whatever stone I get is going into a James Meyer setting.

RC-I''d be very interested in a color change sapphire. I do like the one that was posted from the NSC.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results