shape
carat
color
clarity

I said I'd never get a Marquise - yet here she is!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
A bit long sorry but I'm excited!
I got the diamond bug a few months ago and it's no exaggeration that I spent a good two months researching everything before making my first big purchase. I was starting to dream about diamonds!
It all started with my husband suggesting that he upgrade my sweet .30ct ER but being a fairly fussy man (ie - the process could take a while and he'll want input), I decided that I wanted to buy something for myself that I like personally. I didn't want to rush into my first big ring so to stop myself from making an impulse purchase, I bought a 1ct champagne solitaire. Weird logic I know but having a lovely sparkler (even though she's an I1) meant I could concentrate on research!
So I began my journey only sure of a few things: I wanted at least 1ct (and not .99), a white diamond and set in yellow gold. I swore I'd never get a marquise as they looked odd to me and so my focus was on a pear cut or Asscher. Maybe a cushion.
Anyway, fast forward two months of studying diamonds, viewing over 200 diamonds on James Allen, and working out how to get the most bang for my buck (I only wanted to spend about 4000 USD for stone and setting), I ended up selecting a ring from James Allen. I know they are not everyone's preferred jeweller on PS, but as an Australian buyer, I can't recommend JA more highly. The process was easy and for a first time diamond buyer, I felt pretty reassured. If you're wondering why I ended up buying overseas, I'm sad to say that even with our under-performing Aussie Dollar AND import tax/duty, it's much cheaper buying a ring from the US!
Anyway, I was just about to settle on a K VS1 marquise when for some reason I decided to broaden my colour options and this gorgeous F colour marquise popped up in my search. It was an I1 but looked so pretty in the 360 view. I requested the GIA report for it and while she has a bunch of inclusions, they didn't seem bad to me. I was super mindful of clarity but in spite of everything I researched, I ended up picking the F colour. She's a nice size (1.07 - 10.5 x 5mm) with Faint fluor. I chose an interesting setting (well one that no one else seemed to have picked - no real sample photos) but a prong was likely to hide one area of small inclusions. So I ordered and paid.
A week into ordering, I did worry that I made a mistake. I bugged the online diamond expert so many times for all the other stones I had considered but didn't with the F colour. I probably didn't want to be told she wasn't a good stone. On paper she probably isn't. I finally asked an expert to go over some of the inclusions that worried me a little (in terms of durability) and I was assured that they were fine. She does have a small cavity on her underside but other than that, just needles and white crystals. I guess I'll just have to keep her clean! I also worried that the setting was too fiddly but since it was one that caught my eye from the beginning. I decided to go with my gut.
So the fruit of my reserarching labour arrived today and I am in love! I was worried that I made a mistake getting an I1 but she sparkles beautifully. There is a reasonable needle on the table towards the top but I can't see it. I am hard pressed to see any of the inclusions in fact. With better light and my loupe I'll take a look and cross reference with the GIA diagram tomorrow. I'm not at all obsessed with colourless gradings but I'm happy to have chosen the F over K for this ring. The side diamonds are apparently F as well so being colour sensitive, I would have noticed the difference I feel. As for the setting, it is far more delicate than I imagined. The band is quite thin, which I didn't expect but it's great for adding an enhancer band later on. I had it sized for my middle finger (right/left) but it doesn't look too small. The bead prongs are gorgeous and don't detract from the diamond's beauty. I'm also relieved that I stuck with yellow gold. The contrast against the F is stunning.
I might get my DSLR out to take better close up shots but I'll add a few now. Gahh! I just can't capture the sparkle... I took her out shopping and in the supermarket light, she was magical!
Very, very happy and I feel confident to make a few other purchases via US vendors now.
A huge thank you to the PS community too. I learnt so much and I don't think I would have had the courage to go ahead with the purchase without all the info here :D

IMG_0390.jpg IMG_0394.jpg IMG_0396.jpg

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How beautiful, and thank you for sharing your story! Sometimes a diamond just jumps up & hits you in the face even when it was way down your list of what you thought you wanted!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your setting choice is perfect for your pretty diamond, I really like it!:love: Congrats on your new bling!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's beautiful. it looks wonderful on your hand. the setting is stunning! congratulations and I never let 'rules' get in the way of what I love. Great story too!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! I like that setting for a marquise!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love marquise and love this setting! We need more pictures, would love to see a profile shot!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it and the setting. It looks so regal :)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the marquise lovers club :D!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the marquis shape diamonds and have one myself! Your ring is beautiful! Congratulations on your gorgeous new sparkle!:appl:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! And congratulations! That's a great setting for a marquise!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I just love it and I love the setting!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new ring!! I think that setting is perfect for a MQ because it adds a little width and balances the stone nicely - lovely!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I really love the setting! You rarely go wrong when you go with your gut! Congratulations, wear in good health!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Just beautiful!! The color and shape are lovely!

Q

Queenie60

Love it! Great setting for your new stone. Enjoy wearing it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a beautifully shaped stone and a really lovely mount :kiss2: and the contrast between icy white diamond and rich yellow gold must be stunning IRL!

Congratulations on your never happening happily ever after! :mrgreen2:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! I am so happy that you found a stone and setting that you love. I hope it brings you joy every time you look at it. It is lovely.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Modern retro = FABU! Show me your middle finger! LOL

cheers--Sharon

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a sweetheart of a marquise:appl: Love the proportions.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much everyone! I am loving my new ring and it's distracting me as I type (and try to work!). I am so in love with it that I am not in a rush to start my new ACA project now (Phew!). I'm glad I went with my heart and gut. I know J/K colour diamonds are lovely (and I look forward to adding a warm diamond to the collection), but the F is just amazing! I will definitely add more photos to this thread soon. Thank you again and much happy diamond dust to everyone!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very nice and such a sweet setting

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful combo of diamond and setting - you did a fabulous job!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats enjoy your new ring!!!! I'm an Aussie as well :wavey::wavey::wavey:

monipod

Brilliant_Rock

HNGN

Shiny_Rock
the setting is really pretty! Congrats on your upgrades.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! How are you finding the diamond chasing in Australia? :D

I already have diamonds I like, I worked my way through several round brilliants and ended up with old cuts a number of years ago. I've always been a gemstone hoarder (the in laws are in the trade) so I spend more time gemstone chasing than diamond chasing. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marquiselicious.:love: Great setting too. Enjoy!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I already have diamonds I like, I worked my way through several round brilliants and ended up with old cuts a number of years ago. I've always been a gemstone hoarder (the in laws are in the trade) so I spend more time gemstone chasing than diamond chasing. :lol:

Ha ha - Yes, I see that you've been here a while :D I am definitely a diamond newbie but have always loved my coloured gems... I bought a stunning 4ct Asscher amethyst from Nigeria and I just like looking at it. I think I got into diamonds at the wrong time - more expensive and our dollar is awful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results