shape
carat
color
clarity

I returned the heart. . . but got something else instead.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think yellow metal will more complimentary but will it bring out the yellow in the garnet?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL, I love your new stone. I love that shade of green. You have the best collection of diamonds and gems. I am so jealous.
27.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2009 10:50:26 AM
Author: Gailey
TL, have a heart (no pun intended). Stop it with the green already, it''s just too gorgeous. I''ve fired up the laptop this morning and this is the 3rd green stone I''ve commented on and they are all gorgeous, this one especially.

I can''t start with the green, I just can''t. If I do, green will lead to blue and then where will I be.

And btw, love the yellow gold, I really do.
emsmile.gif
Thanks Gailey,
Sorry for all the pics. Can you tell I''m a bit excited about the stone?? It''s just so hard to convey the color well with my camera because 1) my camera''s inate inability to capture the true color of anything let alone greenish stones, and 2) because of my inate inability to figure out how to use it properly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michelle - thanks, such nice words!!

Chrono, actually yellow gold brings out more of the blue in the stone, but I have to adjust for white balance in my camera because it picks up more yellow otherwise. It seems this is even more so in incandescents than sunlight. It's really beautiful in yellow gold. It looks nice in white gold, but it looks more green in white gold, and more blue in yellow gold.

Here's Maxpinel's thread and how she was having a difficult time photographing a really beautiful mint merelani garnet. After two hours, she still got a ridiculously yellow shot, and then she adjusted the white balance, and it looked sooo much better.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mint-grossular-garnet.32967/

Linda - you always have such sweet things to say. Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correcting for white balance in 10K yellow gold.

Now what do you think between yellow and white?

TLgrossgarnetyellowgold.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think either yellow or white would be nice. It sort of depends on the type of setting you choose. With diamonds white might be pretty but if you went with a simple bezel maybe 18k yellow gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2009 4:05:10 PM
Author: innerkitten
I think either yellow or white would be nice. It sort of depends on the type of setting you choose. With diamonds white might be pretty but if you went with a simple bezel maybe 18k yellow gold.
I agree, I think 18K might be better if it''s showing up this blue with only 10K. LOGR does such small diamonds that it might be worth it to still get one of those. I wonder if there are any inexpensive 18K plain yellow gold settings. What I could do is get a setting that fits a 10mm stone, (the above setting is a 10mm stone setting) and it would sit deep in there, and almost be like a bezel. I personally don''t want to do a bezel setting unless it''s a very talented jeweler that knows and is trained to do them right like James Meyer. Too expensive. I like to spend all the $$$ on the stones.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
JM does do a great bezel ( I was impressed with the one he did for me), but I have seen some sloppy ones too so I understand your concern. Have you checked out the casting company sites like adwar and stuller?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What about Ann McKay?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks IK. I''ll look into those. James Meyer is too pricey for me. I love the bezel Whiteflash did on LTP''s and Mochi''s diamond and chyrsoberyl, but again, more than I want to pay. LOGR spoiled me in not wanting to pay alot for mounts.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo another mint colored gem! I love it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
Remind me why you want to bezel it... Is it to deepen the colour? There''s nothing wrong with a prong set but is it just a personal preference?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 11:08:54 PM
Author: Chrono
TL,
Remind me why you want to bezel it... Is it to deepen the colour? There''s nothing wrong with a prong set but is it just a personal preference?
No, not to deepen the color. The stone has an uncanny ability to glow when I cup it between my fingers, or shade it. This is similar to how my Afghan tourmaline ring is. The bezel would bring out that glow. I call it the "TV effect." The bezel surrounding the stone makes the stone itself look like it''s lit up, kind of like a television tube inside it''s box. Here''s an example of what I''m talking about with my Afghan ring.

The metal around the stone is dark and the stone lights up within. I don''t think this effect can be easily replicated with a prong setting, but I really like this effect.

bezel_or_tv2.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
TL, Sally at Etsy will make a setting for you if you send her the size of the stone. You don't necessarily have to send the stone to her (she's in China). I was just exchanging emails with her regarding a possible setting for some of my stones and that's what she suggested. Just a thought. She works with 18k gold.

BTW... I really need one of those for my collections.. it's yummy!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 10:18:04 PM
Author: packrat
Ooo another mint colored gem! I love it!
Thanks Packrat!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
whatever that effect is called, it''s certainly eye catching and would make for a stunning ring!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 12:10:32 AM
Author: mochi
TL, Sally at Etsy will make a setting for you if you send her the size of the stone. You don''t necessarily have to send the stone to her (she''s in China). I was just exchanging emails with her regarding a possible setting for some of my stones and that''s what she suggested. Just a thought. She works with 18k gold.

BTW... I really need one of those for my collections.. it''s yummy!
Thanks Mochi.

These stones are pretty difficult to come by in sizes larger than 2 carats, or even 1.5 carats. I know because I looked everywhere for a while. Gene still has the snowflake one on his website. He even indicates how rare they are above 2 carats.

I''m looking for something a bit more traditional than Sally''s rings. She''s more modern and her styles are more "earthy" (if that makes any sense).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results