shape
carat
color
clarity

I need your help finding a round lab diamond! :)

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
Definitely worth bringing in to view in person or try to get an ASET image.

Awesome. It seems like a lot of these places don't have ASET images. Maybe I should buy my own ASET scope and view it myself? Do people do this?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Awesome. It seems like a lot of these places don't have ASET images. Maybe I should buy my own ASET scope and view it myself? Do people do this?

Yes, absolutely. I bought my own ASET scope via Dave Atlas (oldminer) and shipping was prompt.
Word has gotten around work recently that I'm a diamond geek and I've already taken my ASET in with me to show some of my coworkers how it works and what it all means.
Worth every penny for the peace of mind that it provides, in my opinion. :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I highly recommend it—a fair number of people on the forum do this. You can get one here.

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
Yes, absolutely. I bought my own ASET scope via Dave Atlas (oldminer) and shipping was prompt.
Word has gotten around work recently that I'm a diamond geek and I've already taken my ASET in with me to show some of my coworkers how it works and what it all means.
Worth every penny for the peace of mind that it provides, in my opinion. :)

What do you think about the diamond above? I'm a geek too in many ways, now just adding a new hobby to geek with

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
I highly recommend it—a fair number of people on the forum do this. You can get one here.

How do I keep the diamond facing straight up? Is there some special holding device to keep it facing up without blocking light?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
How do I keep the diamond facing straight up? Is there some special holding device to keep it facing up without blocking light?

Dave has you covered: he sells a kit that comes with a transparent plexi plate with angled divots that you place the diamond in.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I thought anything less than 1 wasn't suitable for rings?

Not since the HCA was revamped a while back...you'll see that even many Whiteflash ACA diamonds score in the 0.7-0.9 range.
As long as the cut precision and optics check out, then there's nothing to worry about.
Remember: the HCA has always been a mass rejection tool,not an individual selection tool.

Last edited:

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
Not since the HCA was revamped a while back...you'll see that even many Whiteflash ACA diamonds score in the 0.7-0.9 range.
As long as the cut precision and optics check out, then there's nothing to worry about.
Remember: the HCA has always been a mass rejection tool,not an individual selection tool.

Gotcha! What do you think about the diamond I posted last? It has an HCA of like 1.2.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Gotcha! What do you think about the diamond I posted last? It has an HCA of like 1.2.

I think it'll be one heck of a beautiful diamond.

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
@Kim N , @DejaWiz , @0-0-0

question, is it a concern if the arrows are showing up with other dark areas around it when fasting the diamond? Would that indicate that something isn't cut right?

arrows.JPG

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

question, is it a concern if the arrows are showing up with other dark areas around it when fasting the diamond? Would that indicate that something isn't cut right?

arrows.JPG

It's fine...the lighting condition and camera setup impacts the diamond.

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
It's fine...the lighting condition and camera setup impacts the diamond.

So probably just environmental impacts? I guess the ASET scope will help determine everything. I called the seller about bringing my ASET scope to inspect the diamond before mounting and they said absolutely no problem. The person I talked to seemed impressed by me going the extra mile!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

arrows.JPG

It should be fine. After you receive it, you'll be able to see whether you see those darker areas by the arrow tips in person.

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
It should be fine. After you receive it, you'll be able to see whether you see those darker areas by the arrow tips in person.

Ok sounds good thanks!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ok sounds good thanks!

Keep in mind that the closer your viewing distance is, the more obstruction there is, making the diamond look darker from head shadow (or the camera, if pictures are being taken).

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
Keep in mind that the closer your viewing distance is, the more obstruction there is, making the diamond look darker from head shadow (or the camera, if pictures are being taken).

Yes that makes sense. Probably why you need a lot of light when using the scope.

You know I was thinking about something similar to that. Is the bottom of the ASET scope supposed to be on the same plane as the table of the diamond? Where does the diamond supposed to be relative to the scope? There is the red and green zones of the scope. I would imagine that the reflected colors back to the eye would depend on where the diamond is relative to the scope.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yes that makes sense. Probably why you need a lot of light when using the scope.

You know I was thinking about something similar to that. Is the bottom of the ASET scope supposed to be on the same plane as the table of the diamond? Where does the diamond supposed to be relative to the scope? There is the red and green zones of the scope. I would imagine that the reflected colors back to the eye would depend on where the diamond is relative to the scope.

The plane of the flared end of the scope aligned with the plane of the girdle of the diamond.

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
The plane of the flared end of the scope aligned with the plane of the girdle of the diamond.

Ok makes sense. Hopefully that lexan holder piece I ordered with the scope will align the diamond correctly. I'm learning so much about this stuff, it's fun.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ok makes sense. Hopefully that lexan holder piece I ordered with the scope will align the diamond correctly. I'm learning so much about this stuff, it's fun.

The viewing tray will work just fine, but it'll take a lot of patience to constantly fidget with the diamond to get it aligned perfectly so that you get an accurate result when you set the scope over it.

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
The viewing tray will work just fine, but it'll take a lot of patience to constantly fidget with the diamond to get it aligned perfectly so that you get an accurate result when you set the scope over it.

I can imagine so I'll practice with other stones

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
What do you think about this diamond:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think about this diamond:

I really like this one.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DiaDan

Rough_Rock
Both diamonds look great, and I'd be happy to own either one.

Everytime I look, I notice lab diamond prices are dropping in price. It's crazy.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everytime I look, I notice lab diamond prices are dropping in price. It's crazy.

Yes, the market is quite volatile right now. How much of a price difference are you seeing on your top picks?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results