shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
As you know, I sent my OMC off to have the prongs checked. At this point the people involved shall remain nameless. I was referred to a master cutter/jeweler to have a look/fix at it, by someone I was familiar with on PS.

The jeweler put tiny bead prongs where none had existed (12, 3,6 and 9), without asking me first. I just got it, and I''m sick. In the first pic, you can see the gauge at 3, in the second, you can see the bead sticking up from the top of the milligrain. These can be seen without a loupe.

I''m sick. I want to ask, who can fix this? But then, with all the bad luck I seem to have, I''m affraid to believe/trust anyone.

Can this be fixed? Does anybody know a jeweler that they could SWEAR by? on their life??

*cryin in my coffee*

This shows the gouge at 3 better.

OMCMill02.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bead sticking up.

OMCMill01.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Ellen,
I don't know what to say. I too am shocked to see this huge hole at the side of the ring.

Is the jeweller local or a distance from you?
Do you (still) trust him enough to fix it?
Is he aware of what happened to the ring?
Do you think there was a miscommunication?

I'm so sorry this happened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, very sorry.

I''ve used with satisfaction Quest Jewelers in Norther Virginia, and you can easily do a search for many satisfied users. A conversation with them could be appropriate, and may be helpful by way of even general advice, even if you don''t use them.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Ellen,

I am SO SO sorry you are going through this. Your pain is coming through my computer screen. I am sorry I have no advice but just wanted to express my shock and sympathy.
8.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 2:28:36 PM
Author: Chrono
Oh Ellen,
I don''t what to say. I too am shocked to see this huge hole at the side of the ring.

I''m so sorry this happened.
Yeah, hubby didn''t know what to say either. What DO you say?
40.gif

To answer your questions:

No, several states away.

Would you? I''m being serious. I asked him to check/tighten prongs, and I got this....

No, I haven''t spoken to him yet. I figure it would be best to calm down a day or 10 before I call.

No miscommunication. I enclosed a note telling him the history, that I knew about the chips and to leave them alone unless they posed a problem, and to please check/tighten any prongs that needed it. When I called 2 weeks after I know he got it, he hadn''t done anything. He said he''d look at it and call the next day. He called back and had already done the work. It was too late so I was trusting he knew best....

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Aw crap. Ellen, I'm sorry this happened. How was the center stone originally set? Was it beads or prongs and if prongs, are they still there? I dont notice the beads much at all but I can understand that you might since it's your baby. A couple of thoughts:

1. CALL THE JEWELER! Tell him you are not happy with the beads and ask why he didn't consult you and why he did it.

2. Ask him if the prongs can be put back the way they were. I know you no longer trust him as much but perhaps there is a reason why he did this?

3. If after you speak with him, you still dont want him to work on this, there are two people I can think of to help you:

A. Ari @ Single Stone in LA. I met him and he's very good. And he makes repro settings from all the interesting vintage settings he sells, as well as repairs on antique rings, etc. so he is very familiar with your type of setting (prongs, millegrain, etc). Tell him the couple that came up to see him from San Diego last month referred you and if you tell me you're contacting him, I can pop him an email as well. I'd trust him but he hasn't worked on anything for me yet.

B. The Collection: Time and Treasure, La Jolla CA. I'm sure Catherine there can help you as well. I got my wband from them and they do their own designs as well and are very familiar with vintage pieces and styles. I'm not sure if they'd do the repair themselves or send it to their jeweler but they'd tell you, based on your photos and talking, if they can fix it the way you want it to be. And if it helps at all, I could go there and see it in person and make sure to point out what you want done...No problem....

Deep breathes.....

ETA: Is the issue only the beads he put in at 12, 3, 6, 9? Was that hole at 5 o'clock there before or is that from him?

ETA2: Ellen, I think it can be fixed..!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ira, thanks. Yes, I have heard good things about them. They can surely be considered, and yes, photos and a conversation would be very helpful.

HC, thank you. You''re only getting a glimpse of how I really feel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2007 2:34:58 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 5/25/2007 2:28:36 PM
Oh Ellen,
I don''t what to say. I too am shocked to see this huge hole at the side of the ring.

I''m so sorry this happened.
Yeah, hubby didn''t know what to say either. What DO you say?
40.gif

To answer your questions:

No, several states away.
I suppose you used him because he was recommended here. Is this your first time using him?

Would you? I''m being serious. I asked him to check/tighten prongs, and I got this....
It depends. I would have to talk to him to clarify everything first. Ask for his view of things. If I am not satisfied with his answer, I''ll go elsewhere to fix this. Otherwise, I''ll give him a chance to fix it (as heartbroken as I am to see how badly mangled the milgrain is).

No, I haven''t spoken to him yet. I figure it would be best to calm down a day or 10 before I call.
Yup. Take a deep breath (or lots), write down your thoughts and look through them a couple of times for clarity and a non-attacking tone in a letter, then send him the email with the pictures and also tell him you will be calling him at x day and x time to further discuss this. Then at the appointed time, call him and talk through all the issues.

No miscommunication. I enclosed a note telling him the history, that I knew about the chips and to leave them alone unless they posed a problem, and to please check/tighten any prongs that needed it. When I called 2 weeks after I know he got it, he hadn''t done anything. He said he''d look at it and call the next day. He called back and had already done the work. It was too late so I was trusting he knew best....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 2:38:03 PM
Author: surfgirl
Aw crap. Ellen, I'm sorry this happened. How was the center stone originally set? Was it beads or prongs and if prongs, are they still there? I dont notice the beads much at all but I can understand that you might since it's your baby. A couple of thoughts:

1. CALL THE JEWELER! Tell him you are not happy with the beads and ask why he didn't consult you and why he did it.

2. Ask him if the prongs can be put back the way they were. I know you no longer trust him as much but perhaps there is a reason why he did this?

3. If after you speak with him, you still dont want him to work on this, there are two people I can think of to help you:

A. Ari @ Single Stone in LA. I met him and he's very good. And he makes repro settings from all the interesting vintage settings he sells, as well as repairs on antique rings, etc. so he is very familiar with your type of setting (prongs, millegrain, etc). Tell him the couple that came up to see him from San Diego last month referred you and if you tell me you're contacting him, I can pop him an email as well. I'd trust him but he hasn't worked on anything for me yet.

B. The Collection: Time and Treasure, La Jolla CA. I'm sure Catherine there can help you as well. I got my wband from them and they do their own designs as well and are very familiar with vintage pieces and styles. I'm not sure if they'd do the repair themselves or send it to their jeweler but they'd tell you, based on your photos and talking, if they can fix it the way you want it to be. And if it helps at all, I could go there and see it in person and make sure to point out what you want done...No problem....

Deep breathes.....

ETA: Is the issue only the beads he put in at 12, 3, 6, 9? Was that hole at 5 o'clock there before or is that from him?
OK, the original setting had tiny prongs at the 4 corners, that's it. When he called me back, he said he had split the prongs, and added a bead for security. I wasn't totally sure what he meant, but I TRUSTED him. He never mentioned that he added extra beads, all for security purposes. And I'm calling it at 3, you see it at 5, but yeah, that's the gauge he put in it.

Honestly, the thought of him working on it is not appealing, as I explained in my post to Chrono....

Thank you for the recommendations. The only one I would consider is the one by you. I will keep that in mind.

Here's a "before" pic.

OMCMillBefore.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
surfgirl, I just looked again. You''re seeing a shadow at 5. The gouge is IN the milligrain at 3.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono, yes, he was recommended by someone whose opinion I trusted. Never worked with him before.

I know you think I should speak with him and give him a chance to possibly fix it, but, I guess I''m having a hard time getting past the fact that he screwed it up to begin with. There is no trust here.

There is really no trust with any jeweler and me right now. If I had a dollar for every time I''ve been burned....

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, oh . . . that before pic really really drives home the damage.
Makes me feel ill, so I can''t imagine what you are feeling right now.

I think it is a good idea to call and speak to the jeweler when you are feeling up to it BUT I also wouldn''t feel any trust in sending it back to him. It is mangled. I know NOTHING about custom jobs but it looks fixable. I would think the beads can be removed and I bet the milgraining can be touched up where it is gouged. Even though you are feeling really untrusting right now and truly I understand BUT once that sick feeling has faded, I think the logistics of fixing it are highly doable. Just my newbie 2 cents.

Good Luck Ellen and keep us posted.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think it will not be a big job to repair the millgrain. I remember reading an old post by Oldminer in which he mentioned that milligrain was originally used to cover up an uneven edge rather than take the time to make the edge very precise in the first place. I think milligrain we as consumers now see as something fancy sort of like engraving work but this is the way Oldminer explained it. Maybe he will be able to comment from seeing the pictures.

When the jeweller said he split the prong, maybe he felt that to removed them and instal new prongs would take off from the antique look and that small beads would hold the stone just the same instead of the claws being replaced if they could not be repaired.

Ofcourse this is just what I am thinking but a professional on the boards here would know better.

Maybe a phone call with the jeweller would clear some things up and you don't have to agree to send him the ring again for further repairs until you have thought it through.

In front of the millgrain is that a shadow from the bead, I see the same sort of thing at 12 0'clock so was wondering?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen,
Even if you don't trust him to fix it, I think he at least needs to know that he screwed up your ring and that you are majorly upset. I think it is also a good idea to find out why he did what he did and ask why did he not consult you before doing any work when you SPECIFICALLY told him to only tighten the prongs.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
HC, yeah, big difference huh? And thanks.

Pyramid, all he had to do was check the prongs, and tighten if necessary. I mean, they had held the stone in for how many years already? However, if he felt I needed more security, why not call and ask/explain EXACTLY what he wanted to do? Of course, had he, I still would have trusted him, and maybe agreed to splitting the originals, not adding more I doubt.

Chrono, I''m definitely going to let him know, just don''t feel like letting him have another go at my irreplacable ring.

Nice to hear that it shouldn''t be a huge deal to fix. That''s what I was wanting to think, but I don''t know much about that stuff.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Ellen it is just that you said he split the prongs, so I assumed since they had split on him that they could not be repaired.
I read his meaning split as in broken in two, cracked. Yes he should have explained it to you but I think some jewellers feel it is their craft, as it is, and we do not understand what they are speaking about as in the same way an electrician would not explain every detail to us about wiring other than where to position the sockets.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 3:08:18 PM
Ellen,

Even if you don''t trust him to fix it, I think he at least needs to know that he screwed up your ring and that you are majorly upset. I think it is also a good idea to find out why he did what he did and ask why did he not consult you before doing any work when you SPECIFICALLY told him to only tighten the prongs.

ditto.

also, I agree with Ira about consulting Quest. they do a lot of repairing old jewelry so they probably could fix it. they do a lot of cad stuff but also have skilled benchman who work by hand which is how the ring they made me was done. You could call one of the brothers and email pics to get a good idea of what they can do.

I''m so sorry ellen, what a shock. But, please don''t fret, I believe it''s very fixable.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 3:18:10 PM
Author: Pyramid
Yes, Ellen it is just that you said he split the prongs, so I assumed since they had split on him that they could not be repaired.
OK, let me clarify.
2.gif

He split them on purpose, and put a bead in the middle.Then added 4 EXTRA beads. KWIM?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I took Ellen''s "Split the prongs" to mean that he purposely, made claw type prongs, split prongs . . . not that he split the prongs and SO had to add beads for security. Was I reading your description incorrectly Ellen?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 3:21:17 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 5/25/2007 3:18:10 PM

Author: Pyramid

OK, let me clarify.
2.gif

He split them on purpose, and put a bead in the middle.Then added 4 EXTRA beads. KWIM?

Okay, good . . . I thought I read your post correctly . . .

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,
I am very sorry and hope you find someone who can fix this for you!!!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I see your reply, I understand now what you mean. I am sorry that this has happened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 3:20:30 PM
Author: mrssalvo

ditto.

also, I agree with Ira about consulting Quest. they do a lot of repairing old jewelry so they probably could fix it. they do a lot of cad stuff but also have skilled benchman who work by hand which is how the ring they made me was done. You could call one of the brothers and email pics to get a good idea of what they can do.

I''m so sorry ellen, what a shock. But, please don''t fret, I believe it''s very fixable.
This is what I need to hear.

Thanks mrss.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 3:22:40 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Ellen,
I am very sorry and hope you find someone who can fix this for you!!!
Thank you Kaleigh.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hugs. I am sorry and I hope they fix it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2007 3:51:12 PM
Author: Skippy123
Hugs. I am sorry and I hope they fix it.
HI:

Ditto Ellen. Bit of a bummer to say the least....

Sharon

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ellen...I took another look again and I wasn't talking about the beads at 5 o'clock, I meant that on the first photo, in the bottom righthand corner of the square millegrained edging that frames the stone, there appears to be a huge crack or opening in the metal just inside that bottom corner of the square. I dont think I'm seeing a shadow...am I? Can you take another top down photo? Even if there is a split or opening in the metal there I still think it can be repaired. Do you want to phone number of the place near me? Just let me know.

Also, I dont know what he's talking about with adding split prongs because they dont look like split prongs to me. Have you paid him yet? I'd put a stop payment on this work. I wouldn't use him again either, but I also would not pay him for this and would want him to know why. And while i can understand you not wanting to talk to him right now, I think you should let him know how upset you are sooner rather than later.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Ellen i am sorry this happened but want you not to be upset too much the most important thing is that the diamond is intact, isn't it?
I do not agree on electrician analogy, all we need from him is our light to respond to the switches and the whole system not to explode. Not the jewelry work when we expect something to LOOK a certain way. Not telling you about putting an extra design elements, especially to the heirloom piece is unacceptable imo.

Now, i am not a jeweler obviously but i personally would re-make the whole square part now, firstly because it's a mess and secondly because it will give an opportunity to inspect the diamond. Just my 2 cents.

ETA: surfgirl i think that's what Ellen said is a shadow, it does look like a crack but it's because it's a deep shadow.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 2:22:54 PM
Author:Ellen
As you know, I sent my OMC off to have the prongs checked. At this point the people involved shall remain nameless. I was referred to a master cutter/jeweler to have a look/fix at it, by someone I was familiar with on PS.

The jeweler put tiny bead prongs where none had existed (12, 3,6 and 9), without asking me first. I just got it, and I'm sick. In the first pic, you can see the gauge at 3, in the second, you can see the bead sticking up from the top of the milligrain. These can be seen without a loupe.

I'm sick. I want to ask, who can fix this? But then, with all the bad luck I seem to have, I'm affraid to believe/trust anyone.

Can this be fixed? Does anybody know a jeweler that they could SWEAR by? on their life??

*cryin in my coffee*

This shows the gouge at 3 better.
oh ellen, I'm so sorry
7.gif
That's not even at 3 o'clock, that's at like 3:30 or even quarter to 4 :*(

No advice, but I'd be pissed off. They butchered your ring!

ETA I'm not referring to the dark area at 5 oclock, but rather that there are actually mars at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, with the worst being at 3 oclock and none of them seem to be straight on at those "times" but rather off a bit... the one at 3 is lower than halfway. I'm glad it's hopeful to be fixed, but I would NOT let this slide and I think this might be one of those situations where it is best to know where not to send irreplacable jewelry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results