shape
carat
color
clarity

I may sell my asscher, please help me with pricing

What do you think today's retail GOG price would be?

• 38K or less

Votes: 23 30.7%

Votes: 5 6.7%

Votes: 7 9.3%

Votes: 9 12.0%

Votes: 12 16.0%

Votes: 11 14.7%

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • 52K or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm considering selling my asscher.
Yes Yes, I realize that when selling private party to private party we only get a percentage of retail . . . but you still have to determine what today's retail is.
I could use your help.
First look at the comps in my next post and as many comps you can find, then vote for your honest guess for what GOG would list it for today.

My asscher has top cut, per KarlK and many others, and came with GOG's lifetime guarantee.
I tried to look up up some comparable asschers and of course could not find anything identical.
Bluenile has some with specs that are close in their best-cut line, Signature Ideal, and GOG now has an Octavia that's close too mine in specs but the clarity is two grades lower and the color is one grade lower . . . $41K for 2.38 G VS2. See below.

GIA 2.26 F VVS2 EX EX.png

b.png

a.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please help me guess a price

Thanks to Gothgrrl for pointing out this new Octavia listing. :wavey:

These are Blueniles Signature Ideal asschers with specs that are the closest to mine.

2.38.png

comps.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perhaps Jon will tell you how he would price it? It is not a mystery for them, I think they can look up retail value fairly easily. I assume that is what you are after as your start point?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DD.

140 views but only 9 votes? ;(
I made this a poll so you could remain anonymous to increase participation.

Keep in mind, your vote is NOT what I expect to list it for or get for it.
It is what GOG would list it for today.

I know I would get much less since I'd be a private party selling to a private party.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, you bought the 2.38 Octavia?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you have no votes because most people likely thing what I do... "I have no frigging clue!??!?"

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1327012426|3106929 said:
Yay, you bought the 2.38 Octavia?

did you????? :shock:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot tell a lie.

Em bear ass ed.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
First off congrates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am off the wall happy that it is going to a good home!!!

What I would recommend is contacting Neil or Dave A.
Send the diamond to them, have them verify the condition and write a retail appraisal and advise you on resale price.
I think it would be worth the cost and help it sell.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Yay. I was hoping you saw my thread. I'm so glad you did. Now will this be for you or SO. I know he has one, can't remember what size though. Either way, that is going to be spectacular when set.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gothgrrl|1327021383|3107035 said:
Yay. I was hoping you saw my thread. I'm so glad you did. Now will this be for you or SO. I know he has one, can't remember what size though. Either way, that is going to be spectacular when set.

No wai!
This one would be for moi. :naughty:
He wears a 1.34 H VS2 Octavia.
I've been waiting for a 2 ct-ish Octavia - though a 1.95 F VVS2 would have been my ideal specs.
I'm not crazy about dropping below that color and clarity, but given how rare Octavias are I have to see it.

I have to say, I'm very excited but somewhat apprehensive.
I really love my current asscher; it's so classy and sublime.
Frankly, the large Octavia may be just too much bling, plus it is very deep so it will rise high above a finger.

The 1.34 Octavia is an absolute fireball even when it is dirty. It's almost freaky, like it has batteries in it or something.
It seems to find light in other time zones.
A 2.38 Octavia may just set off smoke alarms. :errrr:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG so excited you bought that octavia!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful asscher!! Congrats on the new Octavia---my favorite cut!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted but it's just a guess really. . . you do need an expert's advice on value. Any idea what route you would use to list it for sale?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1327026000|3107107 said:
Any idea what route you would use to list it for sale?

I just learned of the Octavia today.
I have to look into all of my options.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad it'll be for you.

I think the old Octavia would be right around 37.99. And I will be the first in line :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gothgrrl|1327026367|3107113 said:
I'm glad it'll be for you.

I think the old Octavia would be right around 37.99. And I will be the first in line :lol:

The 2.26 F VVS2 pictured above, and the subject of this thread, is not an Octavia.
It is a generic asscher from GOG with three rows of pavilion facets and three rows of crown facets.

Here is the original listing: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2115/ . . . GOG Quote: "One of the most amazing Asschers to come into our lab. Light performance is 2nd to none. Picture perfect patterning and is guaranteed to please the most demanding connoisseur of Asscher cut diamonds. We proud to put our name on this one."

Here are some PS threads about this asscher, for some reason all the photos of it have vanished, weird. :
The first link is where, KarlK the designer of the Octavia Asscher cut, (who posted as strmrdr back then) said "That 2.26 is one of the best iv ever seen offered."

Back then another poster was considering buying it.
When it became available again I grabbed it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-hope.45112/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-hope.45112/[/URL]

In these threads other pros like DiaGem and Garry Holloway praise the asscher's cut ...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-ring-cold-feet.45495/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-ring-cold-feet.45495/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-notice-something-missing.53873/page-5']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-notice-something-missing.53873/page-5[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-question.54179/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-question.54179/[/URL]

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Kenny! That stone is gorgeous, but I love love love your current asscher too! I have a question, if you are buying this new one from GOG and the other one you have is from GOG, can't you just upgrade? And then you don't have to try to sell it to a private party? Just curious.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you.
Yes, trade in is one possibility.
I will look at all the options and do what makes the most sense.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I understand your excitement over the possibility of owning a fabulous Octavia, but if you decide to sell the asscher, remember that unless you paid considerably more than I did, your poll should start with a much lower price. Maybe then there would be more responses. Just saying...

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Whoops, I don't know why I typed Octavia. That's what I get for typing so fast. :oops:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1327032124|3107168 said:
I understand your excitement over the possibility of owning a fabulous Octavia, but if you decide to sell the asscher, remember that unless you paid considerably more than I did, your poll should start with a much lower price. Maybe then there would be more responses. Just saying...

Thanks for the response Isaku.
For the third time, this poll is not asking what I should list it for or what I should expect to get. (though if people thought that it would explain the low third of the responses)

This poll is only asking what do you think GOG will re-list it for if I were to trade it in.

GOG will not list it for the price I paid 6 years ago.
What they were paid for it back then means nothing when they reprice it today.
The will price it at today's value.

I am intrigued that third of the responders think GOG will list it $3000 or more LOWER than the 2.38 asscher I posted above which has color one grade lower and clarity two grades lower.
Why would GOG do that?
Higher color and clarity cost more, not less.

Perhaps people are not reading and just assuming I'm asking what I should get for it.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I did a little research and I put my vote in.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Voted!
And WOW! Congrats on the purchase! I imagine that diamond surrounded by your FCDs would be an INCREDIBLE picture (and I genuinely hope you'd take it! :)) )

happybear

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1327032993|3107176 said:
I am intrigued that third of the responders think GOG will list it $3000 or more LOWER than the 2.38 asscher I posted above which has color one grade lower and clarity two grades lower.
Why would GOG do that?

Perhaps people are not reading and just assuming I'm asking what I should get for it.

I voted higher than the 2.38, but others may think yours should be cheaper since it is 0.12ct smaller and is not an Octavia but a generic asscher? What do you think it is worth now, Kenny? :Up_to_something:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
happybear|1327034840|3107191 said:
kenny|1327032993|3107176 said:
Why would GOG do that?

I voted higher than the 2.38, but others may think yours should be cheaper since it is 0.12ct smaller and is not an Octavia but a generic asscher? What do you think it is worth now, Kenny? :Up_to_something:

Sure, 12 points and the Octavia brand premium are real and raise the price, but not nearly as much as two clarity grades and one color grade on such stones.
Here are examples:
I just checked out Bluenile's huge database of their best-cut rounds which they call Signature Ideal.
I grabbed the first examples I saw, there may be better or worse examples.

To demonstrate how much VVS clarity bumps up the price in larger well cut stones, here are two practically identical diamonds from Bluenile's Signature Ideal line.
The only difference is one is VS2 and the other is VVS2, but the prices are $41K and $63K. :o
Their carat weights are 3 points apart so don't compare the total price; rather, compare the price/per/carat.
The VS2 is $20,016 per carat.
The VVS2 is $28,033 per carat.

Next, look what just one color grade does to the price of well-cut stones of this size at VS1; I'd guess the difference would be even larger at VVS clarities.

Below are virtually identical 2.21 ct round Bluenile Signature Ideal stones.
The only difference is one color grade:
The G is $41,366.
The F is $52,647.

Lastly, the Octavia did not get the highest grades for both Polish and Symmetry.
The 2.26 asscher did.

They both have medium blue fluorescence so that's a wash.

cc.png

compare color.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think it is worth now, Kenny?

I can't answer that.
I intentionally limited the poll question to what do you think GOG would list it for today because trying to establish what any diamond is worth is a can of worms.

Here at PS we have had many threads in which appraisers explain that a stone does not have one single worth.
It will be priced higher at a posh retailer on Fifth Ave. in Manhattan, less at a lower end B&M, less from an online vendor, and less when sold by a private person who can wait months or years for a customer to pay their price, and less still when a private person needs cash TODAY, so they walk into a pawn shop or sell it outright to a jeweler.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1327043626|3107257 said:
What do you think it is worth now, Kenny?

This thread is not about "what it is worth".
That's another thread.
This thread is about what GOG would list it for today.

Here at PS we have had a zillion threads in which appraisers explain over and over that the same stone has no one single worth.
It will be priced higher at a posh retailer on Fifth Ave. in Manhattan, less at a lower end B&M, less from an online vendor, and less when sold by a private person who can wait months or years for a customer to pay their price, and less still when a private person needs cash TODAY, so they walk into a pawn shop or sell it outright to a jeweler.

Kenny,

I understand the question this thread is asking. But noone else other than GOG can tell you how much they will list it today. To the rest of us, we can only guesstimate its 'worth' (to GOG). Even for different online vendors, the prices vary. Your illustration using BN diamonds is a good indication, but then again, that's BN and not GOG.

I tried to find a similar GOG H&A diamond to compare with the BN's Signature 2.18ct F VVS2, but there were none. What I could deduce was GOG list their Octavia at almost the same $/ct as that of their RB H&A. How much 'premium' will an Octavia have over generic asscher (in GOG) is another variable we can only guess...

Really look forward to seeing your new purchase though! :wavey:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I didn't read all the posts, but I'll comment anyway :bigsmile:

If a retailer is selling a similar VS diamond for $41K, then a VVS should be quite a bit more, right? Isn't it a lot more rare?

I don't actually go to the SMTB or RT threads or anything, I just hang out here and in colored stones, so I could just be talking out of my . . . hat.

ETA: If it were me, I would have it sold at Sotheby's or Christies, with a reserve that I'm comfortable with. You might still be able to consign it for the Feb sale in NYC:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2012/important-jewels-n08827/overview.html

You can at least get a free impartial valuation from either auction house.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way on earth would trade in be an option! You certainly wouldn't trade at purchase price. But Jon would put it on consignment for you.

I think the price is $20k and my address is.....

One phone call to Jon solves the current value issue. Why are you asking us???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results