shape
carat
color
clarity

I may sell my asscher, please help me with pricing

What do you think today's retail GOG price would be?

• 38K or less

Votes: 23 30.7%

Votes: 5 6.7%

Votes: 7 9.3%

Votes: 9 12.0%

Votes: 12 16.0%

Votes: 11 14.7%

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • 52K or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1327091249|3107645 said:
One phone call to Jon solves the current value issue. Why are you asking us???

As usual, I'm curious what people think.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1327092206|3107662 said:

Oh my. :love: :love: :love:
I'd love to but I'd have to change the setting.
Drag is just not my thing. :bigsmile:

I'm delighted Costco is finally getting on board with FCDs.
It will help get the word out.
They are soooooooooooooooo cool - but I with they'd offer some more affordable ones.
This perception that FCDs are only for the uber-rich is unfortunate and untrue.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
It's kinda a moot point isn't it? None of us are in the diamond business and what they would sell it for doesn't matter at all, does it? You're not asking for help with the pricing, you're trying to "guess" retail cost for a business transaction.....and that matters....why????

A beautiful asscher, a beautiful Octavia but holy cow I can't believe people pay over $40,000 for less than a 2 1/2 ct diamond. Like the first AVC it's a very popular diamond here in Pricescope land. I think you're not getting very many votes because it's like guessing which number you thought of between $30-$60,000, how in the heck and why would we do that...unless it's the prize if we guess correctly :appl:

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
:love: costco carries a 1 ct pink argyle ring???!!!!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know about 40k. What about 28k for the costco fancy yellow asscher and a trip to Paris thrown in instead? Price will be what they think the market can bear. Really only seems to be an issue if you're doing a trade in because you're short of funds to purchase the new asscher and wait for the old to sell. Not that I'm saying you are.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kenny,

Ok, Ill try. I said 46,000. I took into account the 40,000 of the Octavia, keeping in mind the premium for that cut. However , as you said, the color and clarity grade are better than the Octavia. Personally, I think that Ascher cut is magnificent. I would prefer that stone. I am not sure I understand the Octavia. So do you think the ascher might be an even trade? Or perhaps worth more?

This is all guess work on my part. That ascher is a beaut. I vote for that stone being worth more.

Annette

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I too love that asscher more than the Octavia but I can understand wanting to have matching diamonds in a family.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
I voted 48K because the F VVS stones are super expensive.

I just wanted to take a second to say that all of your diamonds are absolutely incredible. :love: I have a few of your threads bookmarked-- I just love looking at your photos.

Not to thread-jack, but I'm starting to look at asschers for a e-ring with a 15K budget for the stone... the prices now are terrifying-- and who knows if they'll decrease :knockout: !! I'm eyeing that 1.42 Octavia-- but I'd rather get a little more size with a slightly lower color and clarity. A G,H VS2/ eye clean SI1 would be perfect for me. Do you know by chance if you can request to get an Octavia cut to those types of parameters if you give GOG a budget? Maybe something will come along!

Your previous threads comparing your AMAZINGLY cut generic to the octavia have been really helpful to me in my research-- and you are a VERY VERY talented photographer! I hope that you enjoy your new beauty and I can't wait to see pictures!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oranges|1327106780|3107886 said:

I just wanted to take a second to say that all of your diamonds are absolutely incredible. :love: I have a few of your threads bookmarked-- I just love looking at your photos.

Not to thread-jack, but I'm starting to look at asschers for a e-ring with a 15K budget for the stone... the prices now are terrifying-- and who knows if they'll decrease :knockout: !! I'm eyeing that 1.42 Octavia-- but I'd rather get a little more size with a slightly lower color and clarity. A G,H VS2/ eye clean SI1 would be perfect for me. Do you know by chance if you can request to get an Octavia cut to those types of parameters if you give GOG a budget? Maybe something will come along!

Your previous threads comparing your AMAZINGLY cut generic to the octavia have been really helpful to me in my research-- and you are a VERY VERY talented photographer! I hope that you enjoy your new beauty and I can't wait to see pictures!!

Thanks for the kind words. :D

Just today I was speaking to Jonathan at GOG about cutting Octavias.
Apparently they are very difficult and time consuming to cut since the angles have very tight tolerances and the shape itself "wastes" a lot of rough.
You can certainly call Jonathan and request one with your specs, but if I were you I would not hold my breath.
Then again your target specs do not seem as difficult as others.
I've been whinning to Jonathan for years to cut a 2+ct and he kept telling me how hard it is to find acceptable rough in those weights.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most comparable of the diamonds you've posted, for me, is the middle one from Blue Nile (post near the top of page 1). The E, VVS2 from memory. In specs, yours is closest overall to that. Yours has medium fluor though and the other doesn't and some people shy away from fluor altogether as it's had a bad rap over the years. So, for that reason I voted $48k but I suspect that it may be less (gut feeling) although honestly, it's incredibly difficult putting a value to each subtle different nuance when comparing!

Definitely if you're selling to a private buyer, and as you've said, the price will have to be lower as people generally want to feel that they're getting a deal if buying a "second hand" diamond. Realistically of course many diamonds are second hand but it's all about perception isn't it? Also, unless you're selling to a gem junkie who knows his/her stuff, they won't appreciate the finer details of your diamond.

Congrats on your new stone - it sounds like a killer diamond! I would second the suggestion of seeing if GOG will trade in your Asscher. It's probably worth asking so at least you've got a benchmark. Good luck and wishing you a quick sale whichever route you take.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted for the lowest price because I didn't read the question being asked, just the headline, and I bet I am not the only one. I thought you were going to ask what you could reasonably expect, not for a current retail.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1327111054|3107919 said:
I voted for the lowest price because I didn't read the question being asked, just the headline, and I bet I am not the only one. I thought you were going to ask what you could reasonably expect, not for a current retail.

Thanks for the honest feedback, and I agree that you must not have been the only one.
Looking at the data below you can clearly see two different questions being answered.
When I realized my thread title was worded in a way that conflicted with the poll question it was too late to edit. :oops:
It is very easy to write a misleading poll.

The data itself reveals a problem with the polling method.
Now there is enough data to see a smooth growing bell curve which is starting to show a more expected Gaussian function distribution.
But then below the bell curve there is a huge spike with a third of the votes. :o

What else would explain such odd data?

Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 5.56.13 PM.png

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1327107364|3107890 said:
oranges|1327106780|3107886 said:

Thanks for the kind words. :D

Just today I was speaking to Jonathan at GOG about cutting Octavias.
Apparently they are very difficult and time consuming to cut since the angles have very tight tolerances and the shape itself "wastes" a lot of rough.
You can certainly call Jonathan and request one with your specs, but if I were you I would not hold my breath.
Then again your target specs do not seem as difficult as others.
I've been whinning to Jonathan for years to cut a 2+ct and he kept telling me how hard it is to find acceptable rough in those weights.

Kenny-- Thank you for responding. I think that I'll contact Jonathan soon-- my boyfriend isn't quite ready to buy ... so I have time. Although, like you said, I won't hold my breath. I think that it is really unfortunate that there are so few Octavias (and other superbly cut diamonds) because the shape "wastes" rough-- I think that rough is wasted if it isn't cut to it's full potential! To each his (or her) own. :bigsmile: Good luck selling your asscher-- if I could afford it I would TOTALLY rock that rock-- it looks just incredible. I actually think that you should keep both... even if you have to live off of ramen noodles for a few years. :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, did you take the Octavia off of hold?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results