shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Took Lucky in as I have been suspecting since November that something wasn't quite right, especially with her breathing heavy at rest. Glad I did! We're looking at a grade 3 heart murmur, there's now some investigation into whatever else we need to do.

Lucky is my heart, just something about her made my heart dance and sing from the moment I saw her. And I knew she was mine from that moment too. She didn't show well for anyone else but me, so maybe kismet. But she's now 10 so I worry a lot. Greys can live to be 14 so I'm hopeful that whatever else gets found is going to be manageable. I'll update when I know more.

Sending you and Lucky many healing vibes and good wishes @Arcadian.
(((Hugs))).

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@Arcadian I don't have any great wisdom for you, but I wanted you to know that I'm here and following and feel for you. I'll send any strength/vibes I can to you, too.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys so much, it means a lot. That silly dog is like my kid...lol Cardiologist appt is January 22, I lucked out thanks to Covid.

Also greyhounds have large hearts, almost all of them have a small murmur and live with it without any issues and it never gets any bigger. Many can live to the age of 14 without any real issues. But biggest killer for ex racers in the US is Osteocarsenoma. OSU had a really great greyhound program, lots of things learned about how to keep the breed healthy from those guys (Head of their department wrote a lot of papers. )

Here's what I'll say and leave it at this, no arguments no judgements. I'm pro greyhound, I'm neutral on racing in the US because I've been behind the scenes enough to know what goes on. You can't make a greyhound do something they don't particularly want to do, sensitive but stubborn. Gigi is proving the point as we go through obedience training. Even the slightest bit of exasperation of my voice and she absolutely shuts down. She requires LOTS of hugs.

They're not nervous dogs by any stretch, just....sensitive, loving, but it has to be on their terms. They are also the goofiest damn dogs I've ever been around. The joke in greyhound circles is how many weird configurations they can put themselves in as they are super bendy.

For those interested, I'm a member but have not had to use their Osteo services https://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Gigi has been with us a week, has already picked up some of Lucky's mannerisms...its pretty funny.

20210107_135734.jpg

I swear she looks like a lemur...lol Dressed her in Lucky's jammies for the time being (all are too big for her, shes very petite 54lbs)

20210110_075714-1.jpg

No pictures of them together yet. I have to post up Gigi's beach reaction...its pretty funny.

EDIT: just read your posts about Lucky and wishing all the best for her. We are on our third grey now and will never want to stop.

This is Bridget Jones - we got her from the local chapter of greyhound rescue. Given the region we are in and the few breeders.... maybe our dogs are distant cousins.

50CF4A1E-7E14-4D43-AAE4-5D7598181D24.jpeg

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EDIT: just read your posts about Lucky and wishing all the best for her. We are on our third grey now and will never want to stop.

This is Bridget Jones - we got her from the local chapter of greyhound rescue. Given the region we are in and the few breeders.... maybe our dogs are distant cousins.

50CF4A1E-7E14-4D43-AAE4-5D7598181D24.jpeg

Oh wow, She's gorgeous!!! All greys are related in some way, so very possible!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I need to buy a small, inexpensive jewellery cleaner. The one I never use, lid is broken.:roll:

cheers--Sharon

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Arcadian I‘m sorry to hear about your furry kid...I hope the cardiologist can give Bridget the meds she needs to live to fifteen+! They are like our children..
I came on here to complain about mine...I love him so much but he drives me absolute crazy. He’s very picky with food. He’s the only dog I know that won’t swoop to eat something you drop on the floor. He has kidney issues now so he needs to eat the kidney protective food. Initially he would only eat wet food. Even at the best of times I‘ve had to doctor it up a little so he would eat it. The main trouble is if he doesn’t eat he vomits bile. I’ve had him on Zantac and now Prilosec since he was three months old. He’s twelve now..Everything would come up before I started giving them to him. I very slowly transitioned him to the kidney protective kibble. In the beginning he was scarfing it down because he really liked it. It’s $75 a bag..so not cheap. Today I gave him the kibble. He refused to eat it...I left it there anxiety ridden until late morning when he finally ate it after I put a teensy bit of Parmesan cheese on it.. He always scarfs down dinner. I put it down. He sniffed it and walked away...It’s so stressful because he has to eat or he starts vomiting...He has to eat THIS food...My husband said to just leave it there...When he’s hungry he’ll eat. Sure...:wall:

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

I need to buy a small, inexpensive jewellery cleaner. The one I never use, lid is broken.:roll:

cheers--Sharon

The lid just broke on mine too @canuk-gal. It still works though. They don’t last long..

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, mine still works also. But as you say, not made to last.

I have the Magnasonic. I will probably get the same one. It’s cheap but does a good job. I’ll wait until it completely breaks though..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your new ACA needs one all of its own!!!:cool2:

Your new Tiffany pendant too! When do you get it? I have a Tiffany pendant....72 but vvs2 I color....It‘s a little firecracker..Your D IF will be able to be seen from space! :kiss2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new Tiffany pendant too! When do you get it? I have a Tiffany pendant....72 but vvs2 I color....It‘s a little firecracker..Your D IF will be able to be seen from space! :kiss2:

I bought an Estate Tiffany Schlumberger lapis egg (pendant) So no ultrasound baths for it! But I do have a Tiffany DBTY necklace--and it is a firecracker also.

My Tiffany ring is out for sizing. I am trying not to think about it, as it makes me impatient! (G IF)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought an Estate Tiffany Schlumberger lapis egg (pendant) So no ultrasound baths for it! But I do have a Tiffany DBTY necklace--and it is a firecracker also.

My Tiffany ring is out for sizing. I am trying not to think about it, as it makes me impatient! (G IF)

I would love to see pics of your Tiffany Egg pendant and ring!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got winded doing a yoga for beginners video.

:lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bailey’s food is sitting in his bowl and he won’t eat it. He ate last night but not this morning...He wants me to fix him something else. He can’t eat his old food because of his kidney issues. I have five bags of food he probably won’t eat. Everyone is saying he will eat it when he’s hungry enough..Nope...

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee , Just a thought. Can you call the vet and ask if you can mix a little bit of his old food in with the new food. Maybe if he smells and tastes the old food mixed with new he may want to eat it. It’s challenging when they are stubborn and want what they want.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bailey’s food is sitting in his bowl and he won’t eat it. He ate last night but not this morning...He wants me to fix him something else. He can’t eat his old food because of his kidney issues. I have five bags of food he probably won’t eat. Everyone is saying he will eat it when he’s hungry enough..Nope...

I'm sorry, I know it's disheartening and "starve him he'll eat" is not the solution...

What about hand feeding him the new food and pretend it's treats? Worked with my childhood dog .

Seconding @Calliecake about the mixing. We always did it that way (getting him to senior and the speciality food) and I know my friend transitions her always picky cats that way. It'll be 7-10 days on varying amounts of the old food only. Ask your vet if that's Ok (I think it should be but I'm not a vet).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ugh I am sorry Bailey isn't eating right now.
This might be too simple but how is the temperature of the food? I know some dogs can be sensitive to the temperature. Maybe try warming it up just a bit?

Or can he eat something home cooked that would be safe for his kidney issues? Anything to get him to eat a bit?

One last idea. When Tommy or Bobby start not eating (Oliver and Gracie never stop wanting to eat lol) I add a couple of their favorite treats to the wet food and when they eat the treats the wet food also gets eaten a bit.

Good luck and sending Bailey and you big hugs and lots of good eating energy.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh I am sorry Bailey isn't eating right now.
This might be too simple but how is the temperature of the food? I know some dogs can be sensitive to the temperature. Maybe try warming it up just a bit?

Or can he eat something home cooked that would be safe for his kidney issues? Anything to get him to eat a bit?

One last idea. When Tommy or Bobby start not eating (Oliver and Gracie never stop wanting to eat lol) I add a couple of their favorite treats to the wet food and when they eat the treats the wet food also gets eaten a bit.

Good luck and sending Bailey and you big hugs and lots of good eating energy.

Thank you @missy.. I finally got him to eat at 2pm yesterday by mixing in two tablespoons of a wet food he likes. I’m reasoning it out that 99% of it is kidney protective food...and the two tablespoons of regular won’t hurt him. I did it again before bed and he ate it. This morning I waited a few hours after giving him his meds before feeding him to make sure he was hungry. As soon as he smelled the wet food he watched me fix his food. He ate it all up...TG I’ve always warmed his food but I don’t want to warm the kibble.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy.. I finally got him to eat at 2pm yesterday by mixing in two tablespoons of a wet food he likes. I’m reasoning it out that 99% of it is kidney protective food...and the two tablespoons of regular won’t hurt him. I did it again before bed and he ate it. This morning I waited a few hours after giving him his meds before feeding him to make sure he was hungry. As soon as he smelled the wet food he watched me fix his food. He ate it all up...TG I’ve always warmed his food but I don’t want to warm the kibble.

Wonderful! The most important thing is that he eats and mixing a little regular food in with his prescribed food is ok. Remember perfect is the enemy of good enough. May Bailey continue eating. XO ❤️

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee In general dogs don't want to starve but, some dogs are not really food motivated either. (lucky loves her food...lol when she dosen't eat I worry) Gigi will NOT eat if her anxiety is high. The only way she eats sometimes is if I hand feed her, and she's a scrawny little girl as it is. Lucky dosen't do kibble except when I'm rushed for time and working a ton. Gigi really dosen't know what the heck to do with kibble as thats not what she got during her race life. No issues with raw though and she absolutely can handle boney meat! I'm thankful for that!

you MIGHT want to try something stinky as a topper. Small amount of tuna, salmon, even green tripe (small amount mixed in) could work. And of course, mixing old and new food is A-OK! You MIGHT need to consider hand feeding. Believe it or not, even with the same ol food it seems to work well because...its different...lol

Best of luck to you. and yeah 75.00 for a bag of food...whooosa!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee In general dogs don't want to starve but, some dogs are not really food motivated either. (lucky loves her food...lol when she dosen't eat I worry) Gigi will NOT eat if her anxiety is high. The only way she eats sometimes is if I hand feed her, and she's a scrawny little girl as it is. Lucky dosen't do kibble except when I'm rushed for time and working a ton. Gigi really dosen't know what the heck to do with kibble as thats not what she got during her race life. No issues with raw though and she absolutely can handle boney meat! I'm thankful for that!

you MIGHT want to try something stinky as a topper. Small amount of tuna, salmon, even green tripe (small amount mixed in) could work. And of course, mixing old and new food is A-OK! You MIGHT need to consider hand feeding. Believe it or not, even with the same ol food it seems to work well because...its different...lol

Best of luck to you. and yeah 75.00 for a bag of food...whooosa!!

Thank you @Arcadian! I was so happy when he ate this morning. He’s a stubborn dog..and so picky..He would sometimes eat if I fed him by hand. He was eating strictly wet food at the time. It was beyond yucky feeding him wet food...but he would eat a little bit then. I will have to eventually change the wet food I’m adding to the kibble he’s eating now because he gets bored. He went through a pumpkin faze..He loved it...Now he won’t touch it...:wall:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee how is Bailey doing today? How is his diarrhea? Is he eating? Continued healing dust and lots of love to Bailey and hugs to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results