shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce why is Evgenia going back to Eteri??? Why????

I need an explanation I can process!

I know she can't get to Canada because of Covid but this is insanely bizzare!!!!!

Nothing delivers like Russian figure skating drama!!!!

ETA: Did the Russian higher powers interfere???

I read that are was prevented from hosting a TV Show with Alina.

I wonder if she's come back to make peace so Eteri can't put out a hit on her post competitive skating career.

I heard she displeased Mama Tarasova at the test skates, and the situation with having to use face time with Orser clearly isn't working. She's supposed to compete in a few days at the first Russian cup event, so I think she has few options. This is shocking for sure.

Did you watch the test skates? What did you think of Kostornaia's performance?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard she displeased Mama Tarasova at the test skates, and the situation with having to use face time with Orser clearly isn't working. She's supposed to compete in a few days at the first Russian cup event, so I think she has few options. This is shocking for sure.

Did you watch the test skates? What did you think of Kostornaia's performance?

Ooh yes I saw the look Tarasova gave her after the SP! And then the weird happy picture with Tarasova and Eteri together.

Have you seen the new picture Eteri posted? Evgenia looks like a hostage. I really hope she's ok.....I find the whole thing a bit distressing actually.

I didn't mind Kostornaia's music despite all the complaints against it. Skating skills all still there! I think she's going to have issues with jumps this season though. Her jumps look really rough.

I love Kamila!!!! Yes even the Bolero that everyone is yelling about. I really do and so does Rusfed apparently, pushing her into senior test skates.

I do wish they would fork out money for some choreo besides Danny G's. They are so cheap! Seriously it's like you and I trying to hammer out our own rings!!!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce Golden Skate is down until Friday!!! Upgrade!!!! Lol of all the days!!!

Twitter is going wild. It would have been so so so wild on GS!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I do wish they would fork out money for some choreo besides Danny G's. They are so cheap! Seriously it's like you and I trying to hammer out our own rings!!!!!

LOL

I saw a photo with Eteri, Sergei and Daniil. Zhenya didn't look like a hostage to me, but I was surprised Eteri looks like she's smiling genuinely. They'll probably do a segment at some point on how living and forgiving she is, just to restructure the narrative.

I'm wondering if Zhenya is desperate for results, or if she's planning to quit soon. After making good with Eteri, her post competitive career would go more smoothly.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I am devastated today. My child who is HFA recently finished his bachelors degree in business management. Huge achievement that made him eligible for a new position at his work. He meets all of the qualifications, his supervisor and manager believe this is a great development opportunity for him and moved him to the role almost 2 months ago. He’s doing great although the role will come with some challenges. They did not anticipate any issue with the move.

But now HR did their own assessment and is refusing him the position saying he is not capable. Full disclosure, he had some issues at work a few years ago, even falling asleep but they put him in a more challenging/engaging position with a new supervisor and he's been doing great for 2+ years. The 'assessment' was talking to people in the last department where he was not performing satisfactorily and people didn't like him. That history is on him, but it is not reflective of the progress he has made since. In the last few months he has even been starting and engaging in conversations with people. That is HUGE...he's having a growth spurt! HR wants to put him in a lateral move position and move him away from his current management team who have been supportive (but not soft) and made it their goal to help him work to his potential.
DS does not know this is all going on behind the scenes. He was not a part of his own assessment!
I have never been a helicopter mom but I want to go over there and cause some trouble.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am devastated today. My child who is HFA recently finished his bachelors degree in business management. Huge achievement that made him eligible for a new position at his work. He meets all of the qualifications, his supervisor and manager believe this is a great development opportunity for him and moved him to the role almost 2 months ago. He’s doing great although the role will come with some challenges. They did not anticipate any issue with the move.

But now HR did their own assessment and is refusing him the position saying he is not capable. Full disclosure, he had some issues at work a few years ago, even falling asleep but they put him in a more challenging/engaging position with a new supervisor and he's been doing great for 2+ years. The 'assessment' was talking to people in the last department where he was not performing satisfactorily and people didn't like him. That history is on him, but it is not reflective of the progress he has made since. In the last few months he has even been starting and engaging in conversations with people. That is HUGE...he's having a growth spurt! HR wants to put him in a lateral move position and move him away from his current management team who have been supportive (but not soft) and made it their goal to help him work to his potential.
DS does not know this is all going on behind the scenes. He was not a part of his own assessment!
I have never been a helicopter mom but I want to go over there and cause some trouble.

That is awful! I hope he is able to stay where he is doing so well.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL

I saw a photo with Eteri, Sergei and Daniil. Zhenya didn't look like a hostage to me, but I was surprised Eteri looks like she's smiling genuinely. They'll probably do a segment at some point on how living and forgiving she is, just to restructure the narrative.

I'm wondering if Zhenya is desperate for results, or if she's planning to quit soon. After making good with Eteri, her post competitive career would go more smoothly.

Strangely enough you not thinking she looks distressed in that photo makes me feel better. Lol I'm very suspicious of Eteri and Co. Probably a good thing GS is down so I don't get banned!

Yes Eteri does look genuinely happy!

I've heard that Zhenya has a pinched nerve in her back. First Russian competition next week. It's going to be a crazy season!!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Strangely enough you not thinking she looks distressed in that photo makes me feel better. Lol I'm very suspicious of Eteri and Co. Probably a good thing GS is down so I don't get banned!

Yes Eteri does look genuinely happy!

I've heard that Zhenya has a pinched nerve in her back. First Russian competition next week. It's going to be a crazy season!!!

I heard she withdrew from the first competition. Not sure how that affects her skating season going forward. Daniil is the one whose smile looks forced in the picture, I think.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 10.12.59 AM.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations to your son for finishing his bachelors degree! Do you think his current management team will go to bat for him? Maybe suggest
a 6 month probationary period so that he can prove that he can handle it? Reassessment after 6 months to see how he has done? I hope they
give him a shot. Is there any way he can talk to HR on his own behalf?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got sedated for the first time in my life today, what a bizarre experience that was.

I've no longer got a bionic finger and will be back cutting Opals again in 2-3 weeks if all goes well...

Woohoo!!!! Good luck Jordy. I know you are very missed and people cannot wait for you to get back to creating beautiful opals. :appl:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you @missy

It's been a while since I've cut a stone, over five weeks which is completely unheard of. I've got a special re-cut order for a PS'er to do the moment I am healed and the to-do list for Opals is starting to grow now!

I just hope people understand it's not poor time management, I really need all my fingers and both hands to cut :saint:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy

It's been a while since I've cut a stone, over five weeks which is completely unheard of. I've got a special re-cut order for a PS'er to do the moment I am healed and the to-do list for Opals is starting to grow now!

I just hope people understand it's not poor time management, I really need all my fingers and both hands to cut :saint:

Jordy, anyone who doesn’t understand that doesn’t deserve your beautiful opals. I am sure people will 100% understand. And your beautiful pieces are well worth waiting for!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations to your son for finishing his bachelors degree! Do you think his current management team will go to bat for him? Maybe suggest
a 6 month probationary period so that he can prove that he can handle it? Reassessment after 6 months to see how he has done? I hope they
give him a shot. Is there any way he can talk to HR on his own behalf?

Thank you! We are very proud...it took extra years but having that degree is a really big deal to him!
Yes his manager and supervisor will 110% support him. Right now the department head is siding with HR and he makes the final decision. BUT it will look very bad and cause a ruckus in the department if he overrules both the manager and supervisor. I hope he decides it’s not worth the trouble and will at least give him a chance to succeed.
Going to HR on his own may not be a good idea especially in the current climate.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind Autism is considered a disability that qualifies for reasonable workplace accommodations under the ADA. It's important to know what criteria HR is using to disqualify him from the new position especially when he has the support of his current management team. If it were me and there is the slightest chance he is being discriminated against because of his disability, I'd fight the decision and make them prove why he's disqualified. Whether they have another in-house candidate or are advertising for the position, they must prove item by item and criteria by criteria listed in the job ad and on the position description exactly why other candidates qualify and your son doesn't. I know it's stressful and difficult in a lot of ways to challenge what may be discrimination. The decision your son has to make is whether he can/wants to fight for what he wants. Sometimes just beginning the conversation about discrimination based on a disability is enough to get management to reconsider their decision.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock

I understand your frustration. Your son has worked so hard on getting his degree! Congratulations to him and his momma too! Hope these people are going to show more support and understanding. Hope the progress your son has made recently allows him to stay where he is right now. That's what he needs in order to believe in himself and go even further. Praying for him.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jordy, anyone who doesn’t understand that doesn’t deserve your beautiful opals. I am sure people will 100% understand. And your beautiful pieces are well worth waiting for!

Thank you @missy

My head isn't going to fit through the workshop door to cut Opals if you keep this up :lol:

Oh and just to clarify, I meant I hope people understand my delays in general. The PS'er with the re-cut order has been most understanding of my current issue. You are all amazing :appl:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@1ofakind Autism is considered a disability that qualifies for reasonable workplace accommodations under the ADA. It's important to know what criteria HR is using to disqualify him from the new position especially when he has the support of his current management team. If it were me and there is the slightest chance he is being discriminated against because of his disability, I'd fight the decision and make them prove why he's disqualified. Whether they have another in-house candidate or are advertising for the position, they must prove item by item and criteria by criteria listed in the job ad and on the position description exactly why other candidates qualify and your son doesn't. I know it's stressful and difficult in a lot of ways to challenge what may be discrimination. The decision your son has to make is whether he can/wants to fight for what he wants. Sometimes just beginning the conversation about discrimination based on a disability is enough to get management to reconsider their decision.

The employer is aware of his autism and upon verbal request they have made accommodations such as allowing him to wear a hat when in the office area due to the florescent lighting, moving him to a cubicle with less noise distraction, request for more frequent feedback etc. In some of his previous roles he has provided his supervisor with general information on autism and some behaviors they may not be familiar with...lack of eye contact, aversion to physical contact, sudden loud noises etc. He has been resistant to formally add anything to his employment file but that may not matter if it is generally recognized that he is autistic and they have already made accommodations. It is only now that he really really needs that full protection.
As his mom I can't intercede directly with his employer. We have been working with DS over several years on self advocacy but it is hard and uncomfortable for him. He needs an advocate (maybe a lawyer) and we are working on that.
Under ADA they are most definitely violating his rights...no other employee put into this position had any kind of HR assessment....only manager recommendation and HR check to verify qualifications. He has been in this role for 2 months still with his previous title and pay.
In some ways there is a risk to dropping the ADA bomb on HR although it would protect him in this situation and in the short term. As you said though...he may not need to drop the bomb....just remind them ADA protects him and these assessments, keeping him at lower pay etc are clear violations. That actually may be something his manager can casually mention...not a threat just a sideline comment to get the point across.

I will say it is overall a very good and reputable company and the behavior from HR is truly shocking and unprecedented. DS would like to continue there and IMO he needs 2-3 years more in this development phase and then he would have a much easier time getting employment elsewhere. If he had to leave now it would be almost like starting over.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Working on a list of tasks to get the house ready for selling. Left a voicemail with a handyman who may be doing these projects. Looking for a backup in case he can't. Need to prioritize the list so that time (plus weather) and $$ are best utilized. Mostly all has to be done so not stressing too much on that other than what is critical before weather and what needs to be last minute due to dogs.

Still waiting on financing approval. I probably should have gone through a broker rather than directly to a bank. May have to go that way if approval not done soon.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@1ofakind when you first posted about your DS completing a degree in business management and starting a new position, I read that as his supervisor and manager created a new role for him at the company, that did not exist but for your son, to help develop him. If that's the case, then HR would be well within their rights to close the position and move him wherever by arguing that they are no longer opening that position. However, I'm now reading your posts again and think I may have misunderstood the situation previously. If the new position requires interacting socially with customers or communicating in a leadership capacity as a manager himself, then HR should have put that in the job qualifications. If the new position is supposed to be on the job track towards a role where he'll have to manage people or provide customer service, I can see how they would be tempted to prevent an autistic individual from filling that position. But, that may not be the case at all about the position, and if HR is creating additional assessments they have not done for other employees, then that in and of itself can be considered discrimination. I'm hoping things will get resolved in favor of your son. It sounds like you guys are in the right and HR is being needlessly nosy and obstructive, but I fear that if you actually go through with an ADA lawsuit, HR will be able to manufacture evidence by claiming they also assessed other potential candidates without their presence at their own assessment. Things will be especially not favorable to you in a lawsuit if your DS has signed any paperwork that he understands that his employment is "at-will", allowing them to cite a host of reasons other than his job performance or ability if they wish to terminate him.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son who has been out of the navy for 3 years just signed a new contract for 4 years in his old rate, no loss of rank. Only 13 more to go for retirement. He realized he missed it and should have never gotten out. I am ok with it as long as he is satisfied.

The other one is still deployed, only god and the navy know where. Haven't actually talked to him since last year, just email once in awhile. I miss him but hopefully he'll be home next month.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
To all Jews on PS and in the World: have a good and sweet new year! May new 5781 year bring peace, happiness and prosperity to you and your family!
0''''.jpg 0'''''.jpg
My grandbaby was born on Rosh Hashana in 2018.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To all Jews on PS and in the World: have a good and sweet new year! May new 5781 year bring peace, happiness and prosperity to you and your families!
0''''.jpg 0'''''.jpg
My grandbaby was born on Rosh Hashana in 2018.

Happy and healthy new year to you and your family!

I just got the brisket in to cook and am recovering a bit before I start in on my special apple stuffed challah. Just the two of us here, but I always try to make the meals special.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
@TooPatient We are not Jews. My husband and I had Jewish maternal grandfathers, also my nephew is a Jew. I love Jewish traditions and Rosh Hashanah, but I love Hanukkah even more! Best wishes to you, Shabbat also starts at the sunset, it is going to be a joyful celebration for your little family! :D We will celebrate baby's second birthday tomorrow for the second time, I am her Bubbe Musia. And she is going to taste apple and honey for the first time in her life.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
I just got the brisket in to cook and am recovering a bit before I start in on my special apple stuffed challah.

I am going to monitor "How are you eating" thread. Brisket and apple stuffed challah, yum! :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results