shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The funny thing is we totally can afford to buy furniture now. The new house may even be slightly less expensive than my current home (major city vs smaller city).

My parents originally thought we couldn’t and now are concerned that it will look like we can’t. I keep hearing “that’s not how it’s done” when I tell them that I don’t want to cram the house with new/large furniture.

As an example, I purchased a new dining room table and chairs in June. It’s a round table that seats six. The table is black marble and I spent quite some time researching stone tables. The chairs are this obnoxious teal velvet that I absolutely love. My parents believe it is too small for the new house and I should purchase something else. Nothing is second hand, everything is less than 10 years old. I hate waste, so I want to move with my current furniture and add things over time once I decide what I actually need.

My view is every room on the main floor will be furnished with nice things and the basement might be a gym for a while.

I may seem a bit defensive because this is exactly what they said would happen when people come over and I don’t have a home full of new furniture. I know you mean well and thank you!

I understand your logic and would do the same thing. (Okay, I am planning to do the same thing!) If I came to visit your home, I would assume you were still deciding what exactly you want and how to best arrange to your taste. I don't see that as anything other than practical! It also means that you can take the time and add things you really want rather than what happens to be around today. Seems like a good thing to me!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw an article about the danger of the wildfire smoke in particular. Not that any smoke that closes out the sun could be good for you.It was about the unique composition of the wildfire smoke. I am sure evryone choking on it wants to read about it. I should probably not even bother going to look for it.

I am so sorry, Too Patient, about you recuperating covid19 patients and your furbabies!

Prayers outgoing. To you, Matata, and everyone hit by the fires.

Hugs,
Deb

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
@chemgirl- Of course you want to take your time and furnish your home just right, who wouldn't. Anyone who doesn't like your furnishings needs to take their a** home and stay there! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't know where else to share. I am so sad that so many people and animals as well as wildlife are now suffering from devastating fires on the West Coast. Praying for all to be spared...

Wanted to share my granddaughter's 2nd BD pictures. Hope it will make someone smile. The dress and the doll were purchased by me as soon as we learned that we are going to have a girl. Finally she is able to wear the dress!
IMG_2915 (2).JPG IMG_2931 (2).jpg IMG_2970 (2).JPG IMG_2993 (2).JPG IMG_3067 (2).JPG

She’s so cute @Musia! I love the dress and the doll!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Musia she is adorable! The dress and doll are super cute too. Those pictures :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you still OK?

We're still OK. We have family in Portland who are at risk and I'm waiting to hear from them regarding their plans.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@BMI It's certainly a poop show for us Westies. CA & OR need to do a better job of fire prevention. We've been in a drought for 20+ yrs so this catastrophe should not be a surprise to anyone as our governor implied during her 1st press conference.

We need to change how and where we live. As we rebuild down here, I hope stringent rules are put in place that homes and businesses must be built with the most current fire resistant materials. It might cost more but this is a rock and hard place situation. I know I'll be nagging our elected officials about this but I am pessimistic that we'll change for the better.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taking my little dog to the vet tomorrow just to be safe. She is coughing so much

Poor pup. Fingers crossed. I just went to Home Depot and snagged 2 air purifiers. Was lucky to get them. Their parking lot has tents set up for people who need food and supplies and it's overwhelming. I sat in my car and snotty cried watching those people cope with their situations. There are so many people helping others its heartwarming but even though we're all donating daily, it doesn't feel like enough.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Out walking today and some little kiddies were playing in their yard--hula hoops and doing summersaults.......big smile to that sweet goodness. I waved and one little girl waved back and said "I LOVE your hat!" My heart skipped a beat. Made my 2020.:kiss2:

cheers--Sharon

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Out walking today and some little kiddies were playing in their yard--hula hoops and doing summersaults.......big smile to that sweet goodness. I waved and one little girl waved back and said "I LOVE your hat!" My heart skipped a beat. Made my 2020.:kiss2:

cheers--Sharon

Ahhh, the sweet little stuff that makes life so good!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

The precious sweetness and innocence of children. It warms the heart and buoys the soul. Gives us a reason to keep fighting. For them and for their futures.

everychild.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient thinking of you and your sweet dog. How is she doing?

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, my baby sister called yesterday asking to come over because she received unpleasant news. We talked for HOURS. It was really nice. She told me some crazy stories about our parents and other things that she experienced which make me sad that she's endured. I'm honored that she shared and hoping we can get a bit closer. We're 14years apart so it's a bit odd, but it was really nice talking with her yesterday.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear you, DH and furbabies fared well, @Matata. I hope the rest of your family is doing okay, too. The news reports are horrifying and my heart goes out to everyone experiencing this disaster.

I found this State of Oregon Fires and Hotspot Dashboard that shows the devastating number and extent of fires

Here is an article with list of resources for those who would like to help.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently remarked about how my MIL excluded us from a couple of things that were promised to us. She recently moved to a long term care home. Great timing, right? So since she needed room, she gave things away to BIL and SIL instead of us, and even said "You know, if no one else wants "x", you can have it!" Argh. DH was really upset. These are furniture items. One is a secretary desk long promised to us. So I sourced one out and we're buying our own! I'm also buying china display thing, impossible to describe.

After saying we didn't want to collect anything, we're collecting things! This is because of covid and the snub combined. I'm actually happy to be back to my hobby of searching out antiques again. Think very small. People are ditching furniture and items for pennies on the dollar these days.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The precious sweetness and innocence of children. It warms the heart and buoys the soul. Gives us a reason to keep fighting. For them and for their futures.

everychild.png

Absolutely!!.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture hardly shows what we are seeing here. That is not clouds or fog. All smoke. I can't see even an outline of trees across the lake when I drive down the road next to it.
This is Renton, WA. I can only imagine how bad it is for those closer to the fires!

IMG_20200912_100053875.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is not clouds or fog. All smoke.

Visibility is down to less than a quarter mile in some areas here today. Police have confirmed, and have in custody, one person who started a fire that contributed to the Almeda complex that leveled 2.5 towns. Investigation into the cause of the first fire is still underway.

Any updates on the pooch? Did she come through her exam with an all-clear?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results