shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I found a recent picture of my brother with his twin boys tonight. He completely disconnected from our dysfunctional family 23-ish years ago. I look once or twice a year and usually only find the boys. The last clear pic of him was maybe 10 years ago.
I haven’t shared this with anyone else in my family because they’re all still dysfunctional. It’s a happy/sad secret that I keep...hoping one day he will contact me.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm working on a project today and had 2 inches left to cut out when the cheapo jigsaw I've had and used for 10 years died.
Because I don't have a coping saw to finish the last 2 inches I headed out to get a new jigsaw. When I got it home I found that the blade would not lock into position. Defective!! After returning to the store to exchange and a bite for dinner I finished that step of the project. It took 2 hours to finish 2 inches. :roll:
I think I should also get a little coping saw.
4879340C-518C-4A91-8AD9-5E7047438DFC.jpeg

You can't post this photo without telling us what you are making!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way, I have two of these in my Connecticut house. They are rotary dial. During the last storm when my generator stopped and for a moment I wasn't sure that the problem was not my natural gas (because the stove would not turn on), I tried to call the gas company from one of them. but I could not call the gas company from them because the gas company made the person phoning "beep" a selection. In the end I had to call the emergency gas leak line.:))

blackwallphonea.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I found a recent picture of my brother with his twin boys tonight. He completely disconnected from our dysfunctional family 23-ish years ago. I look once or twice a year and usually only find the boys. The last clear pic of him was maybe 10 years ago.
I haven’t shared this with anyone else in my family because they’re all still dysfunctional. It’s a happy/sad secret that I keep...hoping one day he will contact me.

Don't give up hope. My kid brother "ghosted" us for 17 years....not a word. He returned about seven years ago and is now re-connected.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
My parents are driving me crazy!

So housing prices are going insane. Two homes in my neighborhood with my exact floor plan have recently sold for significantly more than I thought possible (talking almost $200,000 higher than comps from earlier this year). It’s hit a point where I can essentially trade my townhouse in a major city for a beautiful lakefront home in the smaller city where I grew up.

Our jobs are now slated as work from home until 2022 with DH’s employer closing offices and making a segment of their workforce permanently remote. We would also be ok with one income since I also do freelance work.

So after that longwinded setup: I found a lakefront home that I love. It is on city utilities (a rare find and necessary for reliable high speed internet), already has a dock with boat lift, and on my preferred lake (we’re in Canada so there are many local lakes with their pluses and minuses).

My parents are being funny about it in what I think is a generational way. The square footage is larger than my home, but the main living space has the same number of rooms. There is also a finished guest suit in the basement with a lounge type of room that leads to the back yard. My plan is to just use my current furniture and settle in over time. I’ll put my gym equipment in the basement and position my furniture to take advantage of the large windows in the living/dining area.

This is driving the parents crazy. They told me I shouldn’t be buying this house if I can’t furnish it (I can, I just don’t see why I need to right away). Apparently I shouldn’t have guests over until I have all of the rooms set up. How will I give them tours of the house when it’s half empty. I just think the whole thing is a little maddening, but also funny. most of my furniture is fairly new, and while smaller than what is currently in the space, I actually prefer that. Leave some negative space and keep the focus on the views.

I don’t know how they would react if they saw how some of my friends are living when an empty basement guest suit is scandalous.

Adding that they were already very concerned with my current home because I purchased a few of the major pieces from Wayfair. Apparently I should go to a furniture store and buy entire rooms at a time. I don’t think they consider it “real” furniture.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So housing prices are going insane. Two homes in my neighborhood with my exact floor plan have recently sold for significantly more than I thought possible (talking almost $200,000 higher than comps from earlier this year). It’s hit a point where I can essentially trade my townhouse in a major city for a beautiful lakefront home in the smaller city where I grew up.

Our jobs are now slated as work from home until 2022 with DH’s employer closing offices and making a segment of their workforce permanently remote. We would also be ok with one income since I also do freelance work.

So after that longwinded setup: I found a lakefront home that I love. It is on city utilities (a rare find and necessary for reliable high speed internet), already has a dock with boat lift, and on my preferred lake (we’re in Canada so there are many local lakes with their pluses and minuses).

My parents are being funny about it in what I think is a generational way. The square footage is larger than my home, but the main living space has the same number of rooms. There is also a finished guest suit in the basement with a lounge type of room that leads to the back yard. My plan is to just use my current furniture and settle in over time. I’ll put my gym equipment in the basement and position my furniture to take advantage of the large windows in the living/dining area.

This is driving the parents crazy. They told me I shouldn’t be buying this house if I can’t furnish it (I can, I just don’t see why I need to right away). Apparently I shouldn’t have guests over until I have all of the rooms set up. How will I give them tours of the house when it’s half empty. I just think the whole thing is a little maddening, but also funny. most of my furniture is fairly new, and while smaller than what is currently in the space, I actually prefer that. Leave some negative space and keep the focus on the views.

I don’t know how they would react if they saw how some of my friends are living when an empty basement guest suit is scandalous.

Adding that they were already very concerned with my current home because I purchased a few of the major pieces from Wayfair. Apparently I should go to a furniture store and buy entire rooms at a time. I don’t think they consider it “real” furniture.

@chemgirl I would say do what works for you and your DH and children. That is all that matters in this decision IMO. Your parents are looking it it from a different perspective but your and your dh's perspective is all that really counts in this situation. Good luck!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Parents are weird sometimes :lol:

My mother still hasn't seen pictures of what we are looking at. Okay, so only my aunt has and that is inside rooms only not the full house picture. I am quite certain that anything we buy or build will cause whispering and scandal in my family. I'm pretty sure it will be my mother who speaks up and says something but it might be my grandmother.

I hope you find a house that will make you very happy and that you enjoy the process of making it yours over time.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should go to a furniture store and buy entire rooms at a time. I don’t think they consider it “real” furniture.

My mom, in the other hand, thinks entire rooms out of furniture stores are an absolute no go and very gauche.

:lol:

I'm trying to take mental notes that I should never start "should -ing" my kids.

Their life their choice. Someone else somewhere on this planet will always have the exact opposite opinion. As long as it makes YOU happy, it's the right choice.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata hope you and your family are still safe.

Thank you darlin'. I was just getting ready to post. Today feels surreal. Tuesday afternoon we were frantically packing our cars to evacuate, spent the night in a parking lot with my poor fur babies stuck in crates scared and confused. Back to our house last night. Afraid to sleep for fear the fire would roar back. The evening news showed destruction of 2 towns 5 and 10 minutes from mine. And today, here I sit in my home relatively safe and there are thousands in my area and many thousands more throughout the state who have lost everything. I am grateful DH, the cats and I came through with no damage and I'm absolutely broken with sadness for the devastation of people's lives and properties. This on top of the havoc we've all endured due to covid-19.

We have donated everything single blanket and item of clothing that we can spare and offered space in our home for people who have nowhere to go. There are so many fires in the region that there is literally no where for people to go who are now being told to evacuate. Our county health officials have advised that everyone get flu shots immediately due to potential exposure to that as well as covid-19 at overcrowded evacuation centers. Hotels are full within hundreds of miles. The air quality is considered hazardous and I cannot fathom what the effects of all of this will have on those who are staying in their cars and tents in parking lots.

We can't get a death toll because the fire zones are so dangerous to enter -- small fires re-erupting, power lines & trees down. The origin of the Almeda fire is now under criminal investigation. If it was human caused, I think my heart will explode.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata I’m thankful you and your loved ones are safe and your home is safe. I’m so sad for all those who have lost their homes and those who have died. Heartbreaking.

Keeping all those who are affected in my thoughts and prayers. Sometimes it feels like it’s the end of the world with all that has and is happening in 2020.
:(

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you darlin'. I was just getting ready to post. Today feels surreal. Tuesday afternoon we were frantically packing our cars to evacuate, spent the night in a parking lot with my poor fur babies stuck in crates scared and confused. Back to our house last night. Afraid to sleep for fear the fire would roar back. The evening news showed destruction of 2 towns 5 and 10 minutes from mine. And today, here I sit in my home relatively safe and there are thousands in my area and many thousands more throughout the state who have lost everything. I am grateful DH, the cats and I came through with no damage and I'm absolutely broken with sadness for the devastation of people's lives and properties. This on top of the havoc we've all endured due to covid-19.

We have donated everything single blanket and item of clothing that we can spare and offered space in our home for people who have nowhere to go. There are so many fires in the region that there is literally no where for people to go who are now being told to evacuate. Our county health officials have advised that everyone get flu shots immediately due to potential exposure to that as well as covid-19 at overcrowded evacuation centers. Hotels are full within hundreds of miles. The air quality is considered hazardous and I cannot fathom what the effects of all of this will have on those who are staying in their cars and tents in parking lots.

We can't get a death toll because the fire zones are so dangerous to enter -- small fires re-erupting, power lines & trees down. The origin of the Almeda fire is now under criminal investigation. If it was human caused, I think my heart will explode.

I'm so, so sorry that so many are going through this. Utterly heartbreaking.

I AM very glad you and your loved ones are safe.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock

Oh geez @Matata I'm so sorry to hear this,how much can a human endure.
Glad you and yours are safe, keeping everyone there in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs to you my dear xo

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata, I’m glad you and your family are safe and back home. Keeping everyone in my thoughts. Covid is probably having an effect on what people can donate to organizations like the Red Cross.

That sounds really hard @1ofakind. I’m sure it brought lots of emotions to the surface for you? I’m sorry you are hurting.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chemgirl, Finding the house you want in the location you want is the hard part. Get the house! Buying the furniture is the easy part. You can take your time and buy the furniture you want when you can afford to do so.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is horrific. So glad your family is safe. The smoke here in WA is awful and expected to be bad tomorrow. I have been watching it out the window and thinking of all those who are in the path of the fires. I know at least one life was lost in a fire here as a child and his parents were trying to escape. So much loss.

If you need a place to go, we are in the Seattle area. Our house is cramped and cluttered, but your family (including the furries, of course) are welcome.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Matata I’m so relieved to hear you’re safe. My heart breaks for all the loss and devastation. You have a kind heart to offer to help other people that were less fortunate and lost so much...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you need a place to go, we are in the Seattle area.

That is so kind, thank you so much for the offer. We are fortunate to have 2 places to go in Portland as long as the fires don't encroach there. That city is under a red flag warning through this evening.

The evening news is reporting that there's a "super massive" plume of smoke headed toward Seattle so I hope you can stay safely inside until it passes.

Lara khzam

Rough_Rock
Hello I’m a new member here

I got married few days ago!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m so so glad you’re okay.
I’m so, SO sorry for what your community - so many communities - are going through.
Thank you so much for checking in here.

I guess I can only hope we’ll all be let out of Alice’s raving loonyland in 2021.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock

Unbelievably scary situation. Praying for you and your fur babies. Please let us know where to donate money as soon as you can. And please stay safe!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know where else to share. I am so sad that so many people and animals as well as wildlife are now suffering from devastating fires on the West Coast. Praying for all to be spared...

Wanted to share my granddaughter's 2nd BD pictures. Hope it will make someone smile. The dress and the doll were purchased by me as soon as we learned that we are going to have a girl. Finally she is able to wear the dress!
IMG_2915 (2).JPG IMG_2931 (2).jpg IMG_2970 (2).JPG IMG_2993 (2).JPG IMG_3067 (2).JPG

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's darling @Musia ::) Happy birthday!!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so kind, thank you so much for the offer. We are fortunate to have 2 places to go in Portland as long as the fires don't encroach there. That city is under a red flag warning through this evening.

The evening news is reporting that there's a "super massive" plume of smoke headed toward Seattle so I hope you can stay safely inside until it passes.

Hopefully they are under control soon!

We are staying inside. The smoke has been a problem for a couple of days already. DH and one of our dogs are coughing. I feel it in my lungs too. We have AC and good filtration. I have a replacement filter for the extra purifier in our bedroom coming tomorrow plus three additional purifier units that are supposed to handle smoke being delivered Saturday. We will block the bottom of the front door and the chimney vent. Hopefully that helps! I don't know what we will do tomorrow when the cloud hits! My poor dog is already miserable :blackeye:

BMI

Shiny_Rock
The smoke has been a problem for a couple of days already. DH and one of our dogs are coughing. I feel it in my lungs too. I don't know what we will do tomorrow when the cloud hits!

@TooPatient Where I live in northern Ca was hit by a fire over two weeks ago and we have been dealing with varying levels of smoke, ash and unhealthy air quality ever since. I have found that menthol cough drops help a bit with the coughing and crud in the lungs feeling. I also have been wearing my cotton mask in the house on and off. I find that breathing my own exhaled air sometimes feels better than breathing the particles that get into the air in the house. Just an idea for you to try if things get really bad.

@Matata I am so glad you and your family are safe. I completely understand the surreal feeling. We personally know two families who lost everything. We only had air quality in the dangerous range for a day or two so I am praying that yours will not stay at that level for long. I still have concern for all the people in our area who do not have air conditioned houses. I don't know how they have been dealing with the horrible air during a heat wave. Thankfully there is now a cloud cover of smoke from all of the additional fires that has blocked out the sun so our temperatures have dropped significantly the past two days. I'm sorry Oregon is now having to deal with the same situation that has been going on in California. Definitely a rough year for all.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
@chemgirl, Finding the house you want in the location you want is the hard part. Get the house! Buying the furniture is the easy part. You can take your time and buy the furniture you want when you can afford to do so.

The funny thing is we totally can afford to buy furniture now. The new house may even be slightly less expensive than my current home (major city vs smaller city).

My parents originally thought we couldn’t and now are concerned that it will look like we can’t. I keep hearing “that’s not how it’s done” when I tell them that I don’t want to cram the house with new/large furniture.

As an example, I purchased a new dining room table and chairs in June. It’s a round table that seats six. The table is black marble and I spent quite some time researching stone tables. The chairs are this obnoxious teal velvet that I absolutely love. My parents believe it is too small for the new house and I should purchase something else. Nothing is second hand, everything is less than 10 years old. I hate waste, so I want to move with my current furniture and add things over time once I decide what I actually need.

My view is every room on the main floor will be furnished with nice things and the basement might be a gym for a while.

I may seem a bit defensive because this is exactly what they said would happen when people come over and I don’t have a home full of new furniture. I know you mean well and thank you!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just saw this. It looks as if things keep getting worse. Are you still OK?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results