shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Chicago Public Library ELECTRONIC card that has "expired." Keep in mind I can only use this thing ON LINE to check out ELECTRONIC books. I got an email the other day telling me about the expiration, but it seemed weird to me and I thought it was some sort of scam so I ignored it. Well when I tried to check out an E-book last night I was informed that indeed my ELECTRONIC library card HAS expired and I need to Go Into A Branch to renew it. WTF. It's -- let me say it (IN CAPS) one more time -- ELECTRONIC. That's the WHOLE DAMN POINT. ELECTRONIC stuff happens all ON LINE. But apparently not for the Chicago Public Library.

So now I have obtained a new ELECTRONIC library card using, let us just say, "alternate information" because I couldn't get a second one with my real information.

ARGH.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Chicago Public Library ELECTRONIC card that has "expired." Keep in mind I can only use this thing ON LINE to check out ELECTRONIC books. I got an email the other day telling me about the expiration, but it seemed weird to me and I thought it was some sort of scam so I ignored it. Well when I tried to check out an E-book last night I was informed that indeed my ELECTRONIC library card HAS expired and I need to Go Into A Branch to renew it. WTF. It's -- let me say it (IN CAPS) one more time -- ELECTRONIC. That's the WHOLE DAMN POINT. ELECTRONIC stuff happens all ON LINE. But apparently not for the Chicago Public Library.

So now I have obtained a new ELECTRONIC library card using, let us just say, "alternate information" because I couldn't get a second one with my real information.

ARGH.

:shock::eek-2::lol::lol::lol:

I just... Wow. Hahahaha.... I like your solution!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So today I finally have an off day. I haven't had an off day since...2015.

And I'm freaking out. I'm not used to having off days.

Tomorrow, if my case gets here, I'll be rebuilding another system. Its time. most of the parts are here. the new system will be a MONSTER though.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So today I finally have an off day. I haven't had an off day since...2015.

And I'm freaking out. I'm not used to having off days.
Enjoy it! What do you want to do today?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My school quarter was even more miserable than it had been. Ended with me initiating a few and open discussion. Not sure if it helped but it had to happen. I may have to speak with the program coordinator person and dispute my grade. Will know after it is posted in the next few days.

So... I am distracting myself looking for the right price for myself. Decided that at least this quarter needs more immediate gratification than buying a single diamond to eventually go in a bracelet. Looking at Pearl Paradise. No clue what exactly I want but definitely enjoying the search!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Its because I know when I go back on Tuesday, I'm going to have a ton of crap hit me all at once. And I really don't know what its like to totally relax.

And I need to find a LAMP stacker. (if anyone knows someone who does LAMP, let me know. they too can work from home!)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its because I know when I go back on Tuesday, I'm going to have a ton of crap hit me all at once. And I really don't know what its like to totally relax.

And I need to find a LAMP stacker. (if anyone knows someone who does LAMP, let me know. they too can work from home!)
You sound like my son. His work load is enormous and he even goes in on Sundays to try to tackle the pile..Saturdays he gives my daughter-in-law a break by taking their 20 month old son around dc to museums, etc...I always ask him when does he relax..He responds just like you...He doesn’t know how!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m venting..It took me five hours to get to my house in Maryland..which normally takes two..because of a dead stop traffic jam..I had my 93 year old mother, my son and my hungry dog that vomits when he’s hungry in the car with me...I’m so glad to be here but all stressed out..Of course I came on here and the bling talk is settling me down..:love:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m venting..It took me five hours to get to my house in Maryland..which normally takes two..because of a dead stop traffic jam..I had my 93 year old mother, my son and my hungry dog that vomits when he’s hungry in the car with me...I’m so glad to be here but all stressed out..Of course I came on here and the bling talk is settling me down..:love:

Yikes!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG @Mamabean what an ordeal and glad you maintained your sense of humor and calm. That is one of my worst nightmares...being stuck in traffic like that unable to move. Once I got out of the car on the GW bridge right in the middle of a huge traffic stop ready to walk the bridge to get off and abandon the car haha but my dh made me get back in and thankfully a few minutes later whatever was tying us up started moving and we were off that bridge. But I had in my head a horror story going on that we would be stuck in our car for hours and hours. I don't do well in traffic. :oops::oops2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy It was such a stressful day to begin with..It was also really dark by this time and I always try to beat it by leaving a little earlier. Yesterday that didn’t work out.. My heating system on the first upper floor in Pa was losing heat as I was trying to pack up to leave for Maryland so I had to call the heating guy to come and check it out. He loves my mom and he didn’t want her to be cold..so he came in a few hours which is unheard of but that meant I left later..It was one thing after another before I could get everything together to leave and pick my son up and that’s going north..I have to go south to get to Maryland..and that adds an extra hour..then the traffic..People we’re driving over the median and going back the opposite direction...It was pitch dark and I was afraid the gps would take me in circles so held on. It eventually moved but it was so dark by this time and I can’t see well in the dark...When I pulled down my street I prayed that there would be a spot because there’s no driveways here..and my car was loaded with everyone plus all the stuff I packed.The stars were aligned and I had a spot in front of my house! :appl: If I had wine in the house I would have had myself a healthy sum! :lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
15442948994397752687006776370986.jpg
Without the heat sink

15442949872795609197919424548994.jpg

With the heat sink

1544295064958249027505329530561.jpg

The case

Gonna be one hell of a weekend:lol-2::mrgreen2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
15442948994397752687006776370986.jpg
Without the heat sink

15442949872795609197919424548994.jpg

With the heat sink

1544295064958249027505329530561.jpg

The case

Gonna be one hell of a weekend:lol-2::mrgreen2:
Okay..I always told my sons the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask..What is that? :think:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay..I always told my sons the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask..What is that? :think:

No dumb questions, most people wouldn't know what half the stuff is anyway. The heatsink? That goes on the CPU to keep it from frying. The thing its sitting on is the motherboard.

I build my own workstations because 1. I can. 2. I'm picky. 3. I LOVE computer shit!!:lol-2: Last complete computer I built new was about 11 years ago. I've updated pieces over the years but, I need to update to windows 10 which is pushing this build.

I'll be using some carry over as I've updated a few things like changed to SSD's and have a pretty new Optical Drive, but everything else will just stay in the old machine (which will be the new home server. The old house server drive will get incorporated. (the stuff from that machine is from the late 90's:-o)

Whats brand new:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x I plan to NEVER overclock!

GPU(video card): MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC. perfect for my needs. I might want an 11GB GPU but I don't need one and they're very pricey (some are about the cost of a pair of diamond earrings!!)

PSU:
BitFenix - Whisper M 850 W Power supplies are generally not cheap, this one was thankfully mid range. near double the power I need really so good that I will never hit my ceiling.

Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard. Because all boards are geared to gaming, they all have that damn RGB all over the place. :roll2: This one was the least offensive. As long as I can connect my IBM Clicky I don't care, it can be puce colored.

Heatsink: BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4. Because I will never ever watercool (AIO's dont' really count, totally closed loop), it means getting the biggest heat sink with a fan to aircool. I run multiple programs through this machine all at once, so keeping cool is priority.

Case fans: Noctua Redux NFP14s 1500PWM 140mm fans (5) I could have went with 3-200mm fans but...they're big and very expensive. these are really quiet fans and the cheapo line (14 bucks a fan..yes I know I know....lol)

Memory: Cosair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4-3000 CL15. I would have done 64 but thats overkill and only for bragging rights :lol-2: So to keep it in the pocket, for now I went with 32. The old machine is 16GB DDR2 I believe and I use every bit of it. I had to go with low profile because the heatsink is so large.

Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Full Tower Case. Beautiful case, big enough to fit the heatsink and the card (the card is really big) and under 200 dollars. And also will take an optical drive (many don't anymore).

When I build my own, I build at high enough level to get 8-11 years out of them, and I do indeed put the machines through their paces! Its not a cheap build either but they never are.

Anyway spent about 5 hours on it today and its mostly together. The GPU has yet to be delivered but should be here by Monday, and thats the day I'll move the drives and turn it on.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
No dumb questions, most people wouldn't know what half the stuff is anyway. The heatsink? That goes on the CPU to keep it from frying. The thing its sitting on is the motherboard.

I build my own workstations because 1. I can. 2. I'm picky. 3. I LOVE computer shit!!:lol-2: Last complete computer I built new was about 11 years ago. I've updated pieces over the years but, I need to update to windows 10 which is pushing this build.

I'll be using some carry over as I've updated a few things like changed to SSD's and have a pretty new Optical Drive, but everything else will just stay in the old machine (which will be the new home server. The old house server drive will get incorporated. (the stuff from that machine is from the late 90's:-o)

Whats brand new:

GPU(video card): MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC. perfect for my needs. I might want an 11GB GPU but I don't need one and they're very pricey (some are about the cost of a pair of diamond earrings!!)

PSU:
BitFenix - Whisper M 850 W Power supplies are generally not cheap, this one was thankfully mid range. near double the power I need really so good that I will never hit my ceiling.

Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard. Because all boards are geared to gaming, they all have that damn RGB all over the place. :roll2: This one was the least offensive. As long as I can connect my IBM Clicky I don't care, it can be puce colored.

Heatsink: BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4. Because I will never ever watercool (AIO's dont' really count, totally closed loop), it means getting the biggest heat sink with a fan to aircool. I run multiple programs through this machine all at once, so keeping cool is priority.

Case fans: Noctua Redux NFP14s 1500PWM 140mm fans (5) I could have went with 3-200mm fans but...they're big and very expensive. these are really quiet fans and the cheapo line (14 bucks a fan..yes I know I know....lol)

Memory: Cosair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4-3000 CL15. I would have done 64 but thats overkill and only for bragging rights :lol-2: So to keep it in the pocket, for now I went with 32. The old machine is 16GB DDR2 I believe and I use every bit of it. I had to go with low profile because the heatsink is so large.

Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Full Tower Case. Beautiful case, big enough to fit the heatsink and the card (the card is really big) and under 200 dollars. And also will take an optical drive (many don't anymore).

When I build my own, I build at high enough level to get 8-11 years out of them, and I do indeed put the machines through their paces! Its not a cheap build either but they never are.

Anyway spent about 5 hours on it today and its mostly together. The GPU has yet to be delivered but should be here by Monday, and thats the day I'll move the drives and turn it on.
I’m so impressed! It’s amazing that you can build it yourself! I’ve yet to find my talent! :lol:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
my ELECTRONIC library card HAS expired and I need to Go Into A Branch to renew it. WTF. ...

So now I have obtained a new ELECTRONIC library card using, let us just say, "alternate information"

OK. Good to hear. I need to get my PASSPORT from the other end of this HUGE country - because :whistle:... 'Alternate information' sounds good: my name is too long & DOB clashes with Christmas!

Just wrote on another thread of my spending one curiously work-less (last) weekend. The proper word would be - 'collapse' o_O. I run away dilligently to beautiful places & work comes with me unless :sleep: If you hear of a cure, I am all ears...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Whats brand new:

PSU:

Nice! I built one with a Ryzen Thread Ripper 1900x. It is fun starting from scratch! Upgrades are nice, but there is just something about a new build...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! I built one with a Ryzen Thread Ripper 1900x. It is fun starting from scratch! Upgrades are nice, but there is just something about a new build...

Very cool! water or air cooled? I'm not the biggest fan of water cooling because they can be finicky. plus as a workstation I just need it to run and run well.

I'm an AMD girl from way back. My very first build was an Athlon which by today's standards, was not exactly blazing fast Expensive? yes. Cool factor was high (how many chicks built their own rig?) That was in 2001.

My case is all metal Chieftec that I had it custom painted by CaseArts... Oh 2004!!!:lol-2: So expensive but its got a cherry wood veneer design. I love this silly case. I've reused it for a couple of builds, but just not big enough or enough fan space for the newer and hotter cpu's.

I also recall trying to overclock a Sempron about 2005...but a lot of us HAD to try it. So many of us Bricked the darn things. I still have mine, which I framed after I bricked it.

Current computer AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz Its been very solid workhorse.

Ryzen is a good midrange/midpriced lineup. THe new news is Ryzen 3000. Always something new around the corner right? But I think I'm going to be good where I am for a while.

Only issue I might have will be with some of Adobe CC suite stuff and thats based on the GPU I chose. (I may have to get one with NVDIA chips) we will see!

Threadripper has a nifty lineup, but for now limited in some peripherals, but really worth watching.

@Mamabean Its really fairly easy to do a build. Sure you have to be careful because its electricity going through the darn thing, but hey unplug and open er up! I learned my way around a computer because I could not find anyone to fix my Packard Bell (Packard Hell....lol) that was the biggest nightmare of a computer I ever had the joy of working on.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very cool! water or air cooled? I'm not the biggest fan of water cooling because they can be finicky. plus as a workstation I just need it to run and run well.

I'm an AMD girl from way back. My very first build was an Athlon which by today's standards, was not exactly blazing fast Expensive? yes. Cool factor was high (how many chicks built their own rig?) That was in 2001.

My case is all metal Chieftec that I had it custom painted by CaseArts... Oh 2004!!!:lol-2: So expensive but its got a cherry wood veneer design. I love this silly case. I've reused it for a couple of builds, but just not big enough or enough fan space for the newer and hotter cpu's.

I also recall trying to overclock a Sempron about 2005...but a lot of us HAD to try it. So many of us Bricked the darn things. I still have mine, which I framed after I bricked it.

Ryzen is a good midrange/midpriced lineup. THe new news is Ryzen 3000. Always something new around the corner right? But I think I'm going to be good where I am for a while.

Only issue I might have will be with some of Adobe CC suite stuff and thats based on the GPU I chose. (I may have to get one with NVDIA chips) we will see!

Threadripper has a nifty lineup, but for now limited in some peripherals, but really worth watching.

@Mamabean Its really fairly easy to do a build. Sure you have to be careful because its electricity going through the darn thing, but hey unplug and open er up! I learned my way around a computer because I could not find anyone to fix my Packard Bell (Packard Hell....lol) that was the biggest nightmare of a computer I ever had the joy of working on.
I’m pretty handy..which is funny if you see me in person..but I have put in a slate walkway set in concrete I mixed myself...and numerous other non-female expected projects at the time...etc..My husband is not handy at all so I’m the one that did all the stuff that needed to be done when we were very young and didn’t have the extra funds..I met him at nineteen years old..I used to rewire lamps and outlets..wire chandeliers and install them...but I stop at anything as complicated as putting a computer together! I do understand why you do it because I do love to solve problems and can imagine how you feel when you turn it on..but..nope..I bow to you! :lol:

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I like animals more than most people.

Back in August my neighbor had hip surgery (she is in her 30's) and called me on the phone to ask if I could come take care of her, help her up and down to the bathroom, get her snacks etc. Well this also happened to be the same time my beloved dog got sick and was in the hospital with kidney failure. Whatever day neighbor needed me I was there, texted to check up on her etc. Here I was caring for her and making decisions about how far to go with treatment for the dog.

Then I got the call from the vet that I had to go, she wasn't going to make it, I had told neighbor that I would sit with her since her husband had to take the kids to football, I feel really badly about having to leave her alone. Here I was feeling guilty about having to put my dog to sleep.

Well since then I have not gotten a text, a phone call, absolutely nothing from her. So I was important enough when she needed me but not anymore. And that makes me so mad because I could have spent more time with my dog instead of wasting it on her.

Rant over

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Fiona. I can’t even imagine how you must be feeling. *hugs*

I came across this amazing Etsy artist who makes custom pet keepsakes ornaments. Her work is absolutely incredible and very reasonably priced. Perhaps you might like to honour Fiona’s memory with a place on your Christmas tree as well?

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/RSQDesigns

P.s. I completely agree with you and @missy. I unequivocally love animals more than people... they are such beautiful, selfless, and pure creatures with nothing but love to give. Your neighbour is an example of why I feel the way I do.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @ice empress, I love Etsy so I will check out that shop.

Of course the ultimate tribute is bling, so I'm having a pendant custom made, I'm calling it my Fiona pendant and it should be done by February!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The thread rippers are known for cooling issues so I went with water cooled. It is so much quieter and works great! (So great that I ordered to swap two of our other desktops to water. The office is so much cooler now since the computers don't get as hot...)

Oh! Many of the lights don't have to be hooked up. The case lighys, for example, I just didn't hook up. There are enough other lights on the motherboard that there is no doubt when it is on!

DH suggested we get a computer for my little cousin a couple of years ago. He was 13 at the time. I picked out everything he'd need that would be pretty good but room to improve. You should have seen his face when DH set the box with the case on Grandma's kitchen table and we started unloading CPU, memory, etc next to it. It may be a coincidence, but he really turned around after building his computer. He went from the high anxiety kid who could barely keep in school to talking with other kids and even stepping up as somewhat as a leader in some of the school projects. (We have since then given him various parts to upgrade plus a Raspberry Pi, Arduino kits, etc)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m pretty handy..which is funny if you see me in person..but I have put in a slate walkway set in concrete I mixed myself...and numerous other non-female expected projects at the time...etc..My husband is not handy at all so I’m the one that did all the stuff that needed to be done when we were very young and didn’t have the extra funds..I met him at nineteen years old..I used to rewire lamps and outlets..wire chandeliers and install them...but I stop at anything as complicated as putting a computer together! I do understand why you do it because I do love to solve problems and can imagine how you feel when you turn it on..but..nope..I bow to you! :lol:

You should try it! My 13 year old cousin did it without help. I was there ready to help if needed, but he just picked it up like it was just another in a long line he had built. Not all that challenging. The hardest part is making sure you get things that work together if you want something outside of just normal. (So getting something to run Linux plus handle Windows virtual machines plus nested virtualization and have the right graphics card to support the crazy 3D stuff I mean to get back to...) Basic computers are so easy it it will shock you!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should try it! My 13 year old cousin did it without help. I was there ready to help if needed, but he just picked it up like it was just another in a long line he had built. Not all that challenging. The hardest part is making sure you get things that work together if you want something outside of just normal. (So getting something to run Linux plus handle Windows virtual machines plus nested virtualization and have the right graphics card to support the crazy 3D stuff I mean to get back to...) Basic computers are so easy it it will shock you!
:snooty: I’m techie deficient! :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:snooty: I’m techie deficient! :lol:

Okay... But think of all the money you could save and use on bling instead! :geek2:

Oh, starting new is best! I was afraid to make a mistake on new stuff so did my first tinkering with an old computer my mother found in the garage of a house she bought. I took it apart and managed to mess something up (or maybe that was why they left it in a heap of trash when they moved...) so the thing started smoking when I plugged it in. Oops! The new ones are easy. They come with a little map of where to plug everything in. (Where was this 16 years ago when I needed it!?!)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next year, no plans the morning after the awards banquet. We left with the WW2 pilots around 11pm. The rest kept going until who knows when!

Had an awesome time! Finally met Bud! IMG_20181208_230337533.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results