shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get the styes a few times a year. It never used to be an ongoing thing until we got three dogs. My grandfather gets them a lot too so maybe it runs in the family?

I dab just a touch of Neosporin on my eyelid (careful to touch the stye but not get in the eye) when I go to bed. That helps more than anything else I have found.

Maybe it runs in the family or maybe it's the dogs! I'm glad somebody else tied the styes to dogs! I thought maybe I was the only one. Love those puppies!!!

Deb :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you PB and Missy, my lids have felt dry as scratchy, I am going to get these.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cancer sucks!!

Sue Grafton died. So sad!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit that for some reason, I stopped reading Sue Grafton's books several letters ago. But I'm still sad that she didn't get to make it to "Z"!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read all through X and have Y on my night stand waiting. I've been looking forward to Z for years -- wondering what she will title it and if she will wrap up the Kinsey story. Sad it will never be.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanna say that life is terribly unfair and cruel and the innocent always suffer. Our poor feral cats are going to die an awful death because of the unrelenting brutal cold weather and I cannot do anything about it. My heart is breaking and I am sick about this. :cry2::(

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanna say that life is terribly unfair and cruel and the innocent always suffer. Our poor feral cats are going to die an awful death because of the unrelenting brutal cold weather and I cannot do anything about it. My heart is breaking and I am sick about this. :cry2::(

That is awful!

Is there any shelter they will go in? Something to keep them warm? A friend in Wisconsin got her feral trapped in her garage. Not sure it would work with the number you have. Just tossing ideas out.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a coupon in my inbox the other day for fat witch brownies so I ordered a few :lickout:. I always skip the original one though bc I find my scratch brownie recipe richer in chocolate and less sweet (purrrfection - Google mrs. Quinn brownie recipe and reduce the recipe by 1/4 cup sugar and it's amazeballs!)

Since it's snowing... I'm diving into this one:
image.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry, Missy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awful!

Is there any shelter they will go in? Something to keep them warm? A friend in Wisconsin got her feral trapped in her garage. Not sure it would work with the number you have. Just tossing ideas out.

Thanks TooPatient. Nothing we can do. We don't have a garage on our property. But we have built 3 shelters plus we have a store bought one on our property and the gravity feeder my dh built that can feed the whole neighborhood. However we have over 20 feral cats (despite our TNR for the past 2 years plus) and even if some are using the shelters we provided (and we just don't know) it isn't enough.

And perhaps most importantly (though with the frigid weather and brutal temps it all factors in) the water in our automatic water provider will remain frozen as long as the temps are so low and we just left the beach house yesterday and there is no way to provide fresh water. Without water they will die. We were afraid to get a plugged water source for them on our porch because we have a healthy fear of fire and if we won't be there it just is too risky for us. Solar heated water won't do a thing for us in these temps.

I contacted my feral animal rescue go to person and all she could recommend is the heated bowl which doesn't work for us because our fire fear is real. So we just left them with plenty of food but no water and not enough shelter for them all. They are on my mind almost constantly. I wake up an hour after finally falling asleep from exhaustion thinking of them and unable to get back to sleep. This cold snap is not usual and I didn't plan for it and don't yet have a solution. There very well may be one but I don't have it yet and we are gone from the house now. Wont be back for at least a week and by that time it will be too late.

I'm so sorry, Missy.

Thanks VR. I am not used to feeling and being so freaking helpless but truly we are in this situation. Mother nature can be so unrelenting and cruel. It just is.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m really sorry too Missy, hugs. This is so tough.

I found a heated bowl online that is designed for outdoor use but I understand your concern about fire. Just brainstorming and trying to come up with something to help you rest a little easier. I’ll keep looking. I am so sorry, that feeling of helplessness is terrible.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know what to say, missy. Until this posting above I did not know what a huge operation you ran at your beach house. You must be heartbroken. It is heartbreaking for anyone to hear, of course, but not as much as for the cats' caretaker. I fell asleep looking out the window at our woods and thinking of the deer out there the other night. I know some will die. And I thought about nature and how it works and how, if none died, they would proliferate and eat all our bulbs and shrubs and the Town would want to kill them, because "nature" controls animal populations. But is is so cruel, as you said. I want to go out and shelter wild animals from the brutal cold. I am so, so sorry.

Hugs,
Deb

PS-I just wanted to add that I know feral cats are different from deer because they descend from domesticated animals and we are more responsible for them. But I still feel for the deer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m really sorry too Missy, hugs. This is so tough.

I found a heated bowl online that is designed for outdoor use but I understand your concern about fire. Just brainstorming and trying to come up with something to help you rest a little easier. I’ll keep looking. I am so sorry, that feeling of helplessness is terrible.

Thank you sweet Junie. You have been and always are such a huge source of comfort and support for me and I hope you realize how much I appreciate you. And I am here for you too anyway I can be. Thank you dear Junie. (((HUGS))).

I do not know what to say, missy. Until this posting above I did not know what a huge operation you ran at your beach house. You must be heartbroken. It is heartbreaking for anyone to hear, of course, but not as much as for the cats' caretaker. I fell asleep looking out the window at our woods and thinking of the deer out there the other night. I know some will die. And I thought about nature and how it works and how, if none died, they would proliferate and eat all our bulbs and shrubs and the Town would want to kill them, because "nature" controls animal populations. But is is so cruel, as you said. I want to go out and shelter wild animals from the brutal cold. I am so, so sorry.

Hugs,
Deb

PS-I just wanted to add that I know feral cats are different from deer because they descend from domesticated animals and we are more responsible for them. But I still feel for the deer.

Aww Deb you are a sweetheart and thank you so much. Yes I feel for your and all the deer out there too. All the animals negatively impacted by this deep freeze. So cruel a winter. I always feel badly for people who are in dire straits but somehow the animals touch a place so deep within me because they cannot really help their situation and don't receive the help people can receive if that makes sense. So while not comparing at all I am just saying for the animals and their unfortunate situation my pain seems that much greater and I also feel it is our fault for not figuring it out before it was too late. My dh and I will be using all our brain power to somehow improve this horrible situation next time though I am not sure what that fix might be. I haven't stopped searching/looking/ It's just being back in NYC means the cats in NJ are doomed this winter and yes I feel responsible for our ferals.

Thank you for understanding and getting it. Hope your eye has improved and is completely better. (((HUGS))).

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These extreme cold temperatures have a lot of us thinking about wildlife and trying to do what we can to assist, without creating an over-dependence upon humans or other problems.

@AGBF , fortunately, wildlife tends to be well-designed for outside environments and adapts behaviour to ensure/increase chances of survival. A deer's winter coat is made of hollow hairs that help insulate the animal and keep it warm at temperatures of -30.

This link gives some other info pertaining to deer.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/take-me-outside-how-deer-keep-warm-in-the-cold-months,389614

Similarly, polar bears and other wildlife are built for their environments. It doesn't mean that extreme weather isn't an issue, just that they are better-equipped than we might imagine. Unfortunately, a creature who finds itself in a foreign environment can be in serious trouble, such as the poor little bird that showed up here when she should have been heading to Mexico for the Winter. She was an insect eater. We have seeds, etc., here on which wildlife survive during the Winter, but not many insects in sight at this time of year. :(2

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very interesting, Pinto, and great ideas!

@missy , placing a water bowl in a sheltered area might also help by minimizing the wind chill effect.

This article might provide or trigger some ideas.

My heated bird bath gets used a lot by birds and squirrels in the Winter. They can eat snow for hydration, and perhaps the feral cats do this as well, but energy is then required to warm the consumed snow so it liquefies. In addition to preventing freezing, you also need to consider the water supply. I find that I must top up the water every couple of days - wind causes water to evaporate, as does cold, dry air. So, if possible, large or many containers (in addition to having them located out of the wind and ideally in sunny locations) might counteract those factors.

I feel your stress and concern over this issue, Missy.
Feral cats aren't like other outdoor animals. These cats weren't designed for the elements, unlike deer, bison, birds, etc.
You and your DH have done so much to assist them. You are both to be commended.

Oh, just had a thought! bubble wrap is a good insulator. Maybe wrapping some bubble wrap around the outside of a water container might help a bit.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very interesting, Pinto, and great ideas!

@missy , placing a water bowl in a sheltered area might also help by minimizing the wind chill effect.

This article might provide or trigger some ideas.

My heated bird bath gets used a lot by birds and squirrels in the Winter. They can eat snow for hydration, and perhaps the feral cats do this as well, but energy is then required to warm the consumed snow so it liquefies. In addition to preventing freezing, you also need to consider the water supply. I find that I must top up the water every couple of days - wind causes water to evaporate, as does cold, dry air. So, if possible, large or many containers (in addition to having them located out of the wind and ideally in sunny locations) might counteract those factors.

I feel your stress and concern over this issue, Missy.
Feral cats aren't like other outdoor animals. These cats weren't designed for the elements, unlike deer, bison, birds, etc.
You and your DH have done so much to assist them. You are both to be commended.

Oh, just had a thought! bubble wrap is a good insulator. Maybe wrapping some bubble wrap around the outside of a water container might help a bit.

Thanks Pintobean. Thanks december-fire. You ladies are the best. (((Hugs)))
Checking all your links, thank you.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks TooPatient. Nothing we can do. We don't have a garage on our property. But we have built 3 shelters plus we have a store bought one on our property and the gravity feeder my dh built that can feed the whole neighborhood. However we have over 20 feral cats (despite our TNR for the past 2 years plus) and even if some are using the shelters we provided (and we just don't know) it isn't enough.

And perhaps most importantly (though with the frigid weather and brutal temps it all factors in) the water in our automatic water provider will remain frozen as long as the temps are so low and we just left the beach house yesterday and there is no way to provide fresh water. Without water they will die. We were afraid to get a plugged water source for them on our porch because we have a healthy fear of fire and if we won't be there it just is too risky for us. Solar heated water won't do a thing for us in these temps.

I contacted my feral animal rescue go to person and all she could recommend is the heated bowl which doesn't work for us because our fire fear is real. So we just left them with plenty of food but no water and not enough shelter for them all. They are on my mind almost constantly. I wake up an hour after finally falling asleep from exhaustion thinking of them and unable to get back to sleep. This cold snap is not usual and I didn't plan for it and don't yet have a solution. There very well may be one but I don't have it yet and we are gone from the house now. Wont be back for at least a week and by that time it will be too late.

Thanks VR. I am not used to feeling and being so freaking helpless but truly we are in this situation. Mother nature can be so unrelenting and cruel. It just is.

You are truly amazing with all you do. I know others that direction caring for ferals and it is an every day struggle right now.

Please be kind to yourself. You have given them love and care. They have lived because of you! Even this winter, they will be more comfortable because of you. I'll post if I can find any more ideas from my feral cat tending friends and keep everything crossed that you are surprised to find they survive the winter.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are truly amazing with all you do. I know others that direction caring for ferals and it is an every day struggle right now.

Please be kind to yourself. You have given them love and care. They have lived because of you! Even this winter, they will be more comfortable because of you. I'll post if I can find any more ideas from my feral cat tending friends and keep everything crossed that you are surprised to find they survive the winter.

Thank you TooPatient. And same to you. You do so much for the animals too.

I’m crying with how kind you all are. I know that caring for ferals is heartbreaking but never realized just how heartbreaking. My grown strong DH also reduced to tears over the plight of our ferals. It reminds me why I stopped working directly with rescue groups when I was in my 20s and 30s. I wasn’t strong enough and after 2 decades I needed a break for my sanity.

We all do what we can but in the mid 2000s after 2 decades of working with the rescue groups I was burned out. Of course we still gave money to the rescue groups but I stopped working with them directly. However, I won’t give up here and we will continue doing what we can but in my heart I know it’s not enough. It will never be enough. The pain I’m feeling is nothing compared to the suffering of these dear precious animals. :cry2:

Thank you all for helping me brainstorm and for your support and encouragement. I’m putting on my big girl pants now. Going to be strong because it’s the only way to continue.

Thank you also for all you do. I know many of you do so very much for the animals. This is truly a dilemma only helped by as many people as possible. It takes all of us working towards helping the animals anyway we can. Thank you thank you thank you. :pray:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have become that person who calls the police to report fireworks. They are illegal in this city at all times and we are encouraged to report them. I have ignored the little ones (when they were just small and one or two for the little kids to see) but the new neighbors have started to use BIG ones. I just jumped out of bed wide awake thanks to what sounded like a bunch of explosions right outside our door. Dogs are freaked out.

I have ignored loud parties and drunken yelling and people changing clothes clothes in the road. This is just too far. You don't upset my dogs!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear about the cats Missy. I hope someone in the area was able to help them.

This weather is intense.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw what a sweetie chemgirl! :love: How’s she doing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results