shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great, glad to hear it! It’s a good sign that she i still getting into trouble lol

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy I am so sorry to hear about the ferals :(( I wish you had shared this in the NIRDI thread - or maybe I missed it :blackeye: - just sorry that you've been in such heartbreak over this. Poor babies.

I hope some of the ideas people have sent might be a solution. The bubble wrap / insulation idea for the bowls seems simple and like it could work (although I didn't look up the rest of the links/products). And even if you wrapped the bowls with like a fleece piece of fabric under the bubble wrap, too. But at least temporarily.

Hugs.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Missy,
I'm so sorry to hear about your feral cats. I really admire you for your devotion to them, and for all the work that you and your husband do to give them the best life possible.
That being said, I sincerely hope I'm being right in saying you don't need to worry about them as much as you are - I think they'll be fine.
Here's my experience with feral cats: My husband and I have had about ten semi-feral cats in our barn for the past 37 years. We have had winters much colder than this one, sometime with temperatures as low as -35F for nearly a week at a time. We don't have much livestock, so the temperature in our barn is the same as outdoors.
We never had any cats die during such a cold spell. We give the cats water, but when it's that cold, the water freezes in about a hour. We go to the barn twice a day, so if the cats are thirsty in the meantime, I'm sure they just go out and eat snow.. They also cuddle up together to conserve body heat.
I hope your ferals are as smart as my (Canadian) cats!
Good luck to you and them. I hope this can alleviate your worry somewhat .

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,
I'm so sorry to hear about your feral cats. I really admire you for your devotion to them, and for all the work that you and your husband do to give them the best life possible.
That being said, I sincerely hope I'm being right in saying you don't need to worry about them as much as you are - I think they'll be fine.
Here's my experience with feral cats: My husband and I have had about ten semi-feral cats in our barn for the past 37 years. We have had winters much colder than this one, sometime with temperatures as low as -35F for nearly a week at a time. We don't have much livestock, so the temperature in our barn is the same as outdoors.
We never had any cats die during such a cold spell. We give the cats water, but when it's that cold, the water freezes in about a hour. We go to the barn twice a day, so if the cats are thirsty in the meantime, I'm sure they just go out and eat snow.. They also cuddle up together to conserve body heat.
I hope your ferals are as smart as my (Canadian) cats!
Good luck to you and them. I hope this can alleviate your worry somewhat .

Aww thanks so much @Garnetgirl. I really appreciate your chiming in and sharing your thoughts. And thank you and your family for taking such good care of your ferals! You are a sweetheart. Thank you.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy I am so sorry to hear about the ferals :(( I wish you had shared this in the NIRDI thread - or maybe I missed it :blackeye: - just sorry that you've been in such heartbreak over this. Poor babies.

I hope some of the ideas people have sent might be a solution. The bubble wrap / insulation idea for the bowls seems simple and like it could work (although I didn't look up the rest of the links/products). And even if you wrapped the bowls with like a fleece piece of fabric under the bubble wrap, too. But at least temporarily.

Hugs.

Thanks sweet CJ. I almost missed your post. As always I appreciate your good thoughts and right back at you and all of you here who are doing everything you can to help the rescue animals and feral cats. Big hugs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best to your kitties @missy. I hope they stay safe.

Sorry in advance for the TMI.

So I had my first colonoscopy today. sad :(( Removed three polyps for biopsy but there was a fourth one that they could not remove because it is the bubble type? Lasso would not stay around it so the doc did not want to try any harder. He did say it was not in the wall of the colon but was too big for him to safely remove. Now we wait for the biopsy results and schedule consult for surgery. I have no idea about any of this and am pretty nervous. Doc and nurse were very kind and said it will likely be ok because I am healthy and it was found very early. But still. Results next week and then talk to my doc about referral I suppose. I was pretty out of it and did not catch everything but DH was there and he did. Hopefully no cancer cells and we can just move on to surgery.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best to your kitties @missy. I hope they stay safe.

Sorry in advance for the TMI.

So I had my first colonoscopy today. sad :(( Removed three polyps for biopsy but there was a fourth one that they could not remove because it is the bubble type? Lasso would not stay around it so the doc did not want to try any harder. He did say it was not in the wall of the colon but was too big for him to safely remove. Now we wait for the biopsy results and schedule consult for surgery. I have no idea about any of this and am pretty nervous. Doc and nurse were very kind and said it will likely be ok because I am healthy and it was found very early. But still. Results next week and then talk to my doc about referral I suppose. I was pretty out of it and did not catch everything but DH was there and he did. Hopefully no cancer cells and we can just move on to surgery.

@redwood66 thanks for the good wishes for the feral kitties. I appreciate that.

I am very sorry about your polyps and that the doctor couldn't remove one of them. Sending you buckets of good luck wishes and good thoughts and hoping your biopsy results are all negative. And that your surgery goes smoothly and easily.
Thank goodness it was caught early and good for you for going in for a colonoscopy!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am so sorry to hear that it was not all resolved at once, red. I have had three colonoscopies, all routine, and I do not recall if I bothered to write about any of them on Pricescope. The results were never dramatic-never led to my having to have further procedures as you must-but my last prep got me so ill that I had a migraine, vomiting, dry heaves, and chills many hours before I was due for the procedure. I had to call the doctor and get medication in the middle oft he prep-even though one is not supposed to take anything orally-because I was so ill. On would think there was a better way!

I am sure your problem will be resolved, but I hope that you do not have to undergo another prep for it! You sound as if you are doing all the right things-and doing them early-to prevent colon cancer. I am sure that no matter what kind of polyp you have that it will be cleared up immediately! That is why colonoscopies are so great!

Keep us apprised,

Hugs,
(((red)))
Deb

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry you have to deal with this redwood, sending lots of good thoughts that the results are negative and that the surgery goes smoothly - sounds like you are in good hands and it really is good that you were proactive with your health and that this was found early. I know this is a tough time and we are here for you for support and comfort. Hang in there, (((hugs)))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry you have to deal with this redwood, sending lots of good thoughts that the results are negative and that the surgery goes smoothly - sounds like you are in good hands and it really is good that you were proactive with your health and that this was found early. I know this is a tough time and we are here for you for support and comfort. Hang in there, (((hugs)))

junebug said what I wanted to say, red. You are just doing all the right things and taking great care of yourself. (I would never have thought of using the word "proactive", but it is the perfect word for how you have been!) That doesn't mean that you shouldn't lean on us. This stuff is scary.

Hugs,
Deb

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy @junebug17 and @AGBF for your kindness. It helps because I don't talk to anyone about things except my mom and DH.

I had a talk with my mom last night and this is one time I kind of scolded her. It seems my grandfather died of colon cancer (actually lots of other cancers because he did not catch the colon in time) and she has had irregular (?) colonoscopies but never told me. I may have known at one time when I was young what kind of cancer my grandfather had but did not remember correctly for those forms at the docs. They likely would have recommended one earlier. At least this is early and they said these are slow growing? The nurse told me not to run home and google because I will stress myself out. So I didn't. I just hope this doesn't mess up my trip to Ireland with my sons because I will not likely get this chance again. I will at least wait until next week to worry about that.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband's family is rife with colon cancer; stomach cancer; and pancreatic cancer. I am not sure whether pancreatic cancer has any genetic component, but I do know that it is in there with a close relative of his having it recently. His mother had stomach cancer. His sister, who refused to have a colonoscopy, developed colon cancer. (She is fine at age eighty-three, by the way, although she had to have major surgery for the cancer several years ago since she she let it go.) My husband's response has been to be incredibly proactive: he has colonoscopies and endoscopies of his upper GI tract every couple of years. When he has a colorectal surgeon do the former he gets a gastroenterologist to do the former. Now that our colorectal surgeon is retiring, I think he is just going to get a gastroenterologist to do both since they are done in the same suite at the same time anyway!

I would not worry at all about your results. If you had any extensive cancer, you would have been rushed in for surgery already! They can tell by looking. During a colonoscopy the doctor can see very well. I just hope the trip to Ireland is not ruined. Because you would not want to postpone removal of a polyp. I don't get many-usually only one every five years-but although mine are benign they are the kind that can change to malignt over time, so I am glad to have them removed with my colonoscopies. One doesn't want those things hanging around!!!

Hugs to you!!!

Deb :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, Please try not to stress too much (I know first hand how hard it is waiting for test results). If you find yourself really getting stressed call your doctor and explain this is giving you a lot of anxiety. At the very least his office will make sure you receive the results as quickly as possible. I know of one person that had the exact same experience you are going thru and his results were fine. Enjoy your trip to Ireland with your family. It doesn’t get much better than having amazing experiences with the people you love.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, Please try not to stress too much (I know first hand how hard it is waiting for test results). If you find yourself really getting stressed call your doctor and explain this is giving you a lot of anxiety. At the very least his office will make sure you receive the results as quickly as possible. I know of one person that had the exact same experience you are going thru and his results were fine. Enjoy your trip to Ireland with your family. It doesn’t get much better than having amazing experiences with the people you love.
Thanks @Calliecake. The nurse who was in the room just called to check on me and we had a nice long conversation. I love our hospital and related health clinics for their care and compassion. She said she thought about me on the way to work this morning and just "had an immediate feeling" that this will be a quick non-issue surgery and that she has seen many MUCH worse issues on younger people. She did say it may be cancerous or it may not but it is not in the wall. Her explanation of why the doc could not get it out was more helpful this morning than his yesterday when I was so loopy.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Red,

I think that even to remove the lesion that the Gastro Dr was unable to get, they will ask a Gastro surgeon to take a look, which can all be done with another endoscopy. Usually the routine scope is not done by a surgeon, but can be done with the same procedure just with a surgeon. What I'm saying is it may not be major surgery, just a procedure. Of course if the biopsies come back positive, surgery may be indicated.

Good Luck,
Annette

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, I'm glad the nurse called you and it helped a bit; her comments were encouraging! Very thoughtful of her and it's good she was able to explain the situation a little more clearly to you. I am so sorry you have to wait like this and I do hope you get some answers asap next week. I hope you can try to distract yourself a bit this weekend to alleviate your anxiety a little. Sending lots of hugs and comfort to you.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your kind words everyone.

Well pathology is back and doc is recommending surgery right away rather than wait. There is no cancer in the ones they removed but they cannot guarantee it is not advanced precancerous or has cancer cells in the middle of the one they didn't. He is recommending a segmental colon resection (just a short piece) and the surgeon will be able to tell if it has to be cancer surgery when he is in there and then they take the whole 1/3rd of colon with lymph system and everything. I am pretty scared but want to do it right away, especially so I can get recovered before the trip in end of March. He says usually 6 week recovery time.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your kind words everyone.

Well pathology is back and doc is recommending surgery right away rather than wait. There is no cancer in the ones they removed but they cannot guarantee it is not advanced precancerous or has cancer cells in the middle of the one they didn't. He is recommending a segmental colon resection (just a short piece) and the surgeon will be able to tell if it has to be cancer surgery when he is in there and then they take the whole 1/3rd of colon with lymph system and everything. I am pretty scared but want to do it right away, especially so I can get recovered before the trip in end of March. He says usually 6 week recovery time.

Oh, red, I don't like this. Can you get a second opinion and see if this type of surgery is your only option?

I know nothing about colon surgery, but if a resection is not necessary, then it should not be done since it is major.

Obviously you must have your surgery immediately, but you have time to get an (immediate) second opinion on the type of surgery you should have.

Of course everything must be removed in the same operation, but is there another option for an operation in which the polyp is checked to see if there are cancerous cells and the the surgery is tailored to whether or not there is malignancy? I do not want to make you more nervous by making you think about this more, but I also do not want to allow you to go right into surgery without at least asking if you want to look into options you could take to get immediate second opinions if you should want them.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available.

Big hugs,
(((red)))
Deb

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb there are only three choices one of which my insurance will not cover and requires flying to Seattle or Texas for people who do not want to have a surgery where they basically do the same as a colonoscopy and hope they get it all. He said that results in actual surgery often anyway. The gastro doc is recently relocated here from the Mayo clinic and I do trust him plus verifying his ability through nurses and other docs. He has referred me to a well known surgeon who is excellent at this and one the gastro doc would use himself. I am pretty comfortable with this and am supposed to have an appt. with the surgeon tomorrow for consult. It is still scary to have to have surgery though.

He did do biopsies on the big one in several places and no cancer is shown but they always have that caveat that they cannot guarantee what's inside it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66...sending gentle hugs to you and healing vibes that your surgery goes smoothly and your recovery is quick.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red I think a second opinion is going to be the same. A small resection isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme, and I say this from being part of the decision making process with my dad for the past 15 years. He was originally diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer and has a permanent colostomy bag. Your doc is recommending worst case scenario treatment and that is based on his experience and medical knowledge. I am of the opinion that you should take a better safe than sorry approach, but that's just me being pragmatic. It's much harder to make decisions that directly affect you and your body. If you don't have the resection now you'll be worrying about it during your trip anyway. If you have it done asap you can have the relief and peace of mind that you've done everything you can to treat or prevent, and be recovered in time for your trip.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Red--I am glad your results were provided so quickly. Sorry that you are faced with another procedure--but seems you are in good hands.

Healing vibes across the miles.

kind regards--Sharon

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red - I'm very sorry you're having to deal with this stress and uncertainty, and I hope it will all turn out alright. I'm glad you have a medical team that you trust to help you through this.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF @Matata @canuk-gal @VRBeauty thank you so much for your kindness. Monnie I appreciate your words and your experiences with your dad. It helps me and I know would worry while on the trip if I don't have it done. And you are right about being pragmatic because I would rather be safe than sorry. If I had breast cancer I am one who would have both boobs taken without a second thought.

The gastro doc did say if I left this alone it would be cancerous within a year or two. That is eye opening.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Let us know what your surgeon says.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb there are only three choices one of which my insurance will not cover and requires flying to Seattle or Texas for people who do not want to have a surgery where they basically do the same as a colonoscopy and hope they get it all. He said that results in actual surgery often anyway. The gastro doc is recently relocated here from the Mayo clinic and I do trust him plus verifying his ability through nurses and other docs. He has referred me to a well known surgeon who is excellent at this and one the gastro doc would use himself. I am pretty comfortable with this and am supposed to have an appt. with the surgeon tomorrow for consult. It is still scary to have to have surgery though.

He did do biopsies on the big one in several places and no cancer is shown but they always have that caveat that they cannot guarantee what's inside it.

This sounds pretty definitive, red. Biopsies have already been done. It all has to come out no matter what. You want it all to come out completely. You want it done well surgically, not by some "noose" method in the colon. You have a great doctor.... I agree with everyone else that you appear to be in great hands and that this procedure appears to make sense. Thank you for all the additional information.

I wish you didn't have this situation, but God willing, all of this is simply preventattive...although a painful way of being preventative!

So I am with everyone else. All that is left is for us to support you as you go through the surgery, which will be successful!

Big hugs,
Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results