color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1345171448|3252818 said:
armywife13|1345163461|3252740 said:
Aww, poor kitty. I can't believe no one else is feeding her! Things like that make me so angry, I just don't understand how people can have so little compassion for animals. Luckly she had a kind person like you keeping an eye out for here. Are there any no-kill shelters/rescues in the area? Maybe she could go there...though I suppose they are full , since you mentioned there are so many strays in the area.

Missy,

Try the no-kill shelters. I know the ones around me are full right now but it never hurts to ask. I spoke with lady who runs one around here and she said they are just swamped and having to turn cats away because so many people are struggling in this economy. I guess she's seen lots of people no longer able to care for their cats. So sad.

You might check around and see what services are in your area though. My mom found a place that has volunteers who can go out and help you catch the stray cats so they can go in for exams and spay/neuter. She has lots of strays in her area and does this with as many as she can. The vetrinarian does all of this free of charge. It may not give them a home, but at least you'll know they are disease free and won't be adding litters of kittens to the problem.

Thank you armywife and TooPatient. I will check around and see if there are any rescue groups though I fear they will all be full. She only comes around at night and when it rains she's a no show and there is rain in our forecast for the next 2 days and then we head back to NY. Poor thing- I hope she has some sort of shelter when it rains. It makes me cry when I think of her all alone.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1345198554|3252931 said:
Aww, poor kitty. I can't believe no one else is feeding her! Things like that make me so angry, I just don't understand how people can have so little compassion for animals. Luckly she had a kind person like you keeping an eye out for here. Are there any no-kill shelters/rescues in the area? Maybe she could go there...though I suppose they are full , since you mentioned there are so many strays in the area.

Missy,

Try the no-kill shelters. I know the ones around me are full right now but it never hurts to ask. I spoke with lady who runs one around here and she said they are just swamped and having to turn cats away because so many people are struggling in this economy. I guess she's seen lots of people no longer able to care for their cats. So sad.

You might check around and see what services are in your area though. My mom found a place that has volunteers who can go out and help you catch the stray cats so they can go in for exams and spay/neuter. She has lots of strays in her area and does this with as many as she can. The vetrinarian does all of this free of charge. It may not give them a home, but at least you'll know they are disease free and won't be adding litters of kittens to the problem.

Thank you armywife and TooPatient. I will check around and see if there are any rescue groups though I fear they will all be full. She only comes around at night and when it rains she's a no show and there is rain in our forecast for the next 2 days and then we head back to NY. Poor thing- I hope she has some sort of shelter when it rains. It makes me cry when I think of her all alone.

Maybe one of your neighbors would be willing to put out food for her while you are gone? You might ask and see if they would be willing to do it if you leave a bag of food.

I hate to see animals in need. So sad!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1345223012|3253136 said:
missy|1345198554|3252931 said:

Missy,

Maybe one of your neighbors would be willing to put out food for her while you are gone? You might ask and see if they would be willing to do it if you leave a bag of food.

I hate to see animals in need. So sad!

I know, I hate it too- makes me terribly sad. I thought of asking my neighbors and leaving canned and dry food with them but I am hesitant because they probably won't like the fact I am feeding her. The other night when it was raining Blu didn't show but a big fat raccoon (so cute) did and it shocked the bleep out of me LOL. I saw a big blur from the corner of my eye (around 8:30 pm and getting pretty dark) I went over to the glass doors and wow- it was the hugest raccoon I ever saw! I called my dh over and he said well, that's the risk you take. Whatever that means... I mean, I am a city girl and I guess I was surprised to see a raccoon so up close and personal! It looked right back at me and continued eating the whole 5.5 oz can of wet food I had left for Blu. It was raining and Blu doesn't show when it rains (I hope hope hope she is protected and dry) but the weather didn't seem to bother the (have I mentioned very large) raccoon! Anyway, I can see the neighbors not being thrilled I am feeding the stray(s) and not sure I want to open that can of worms if you KWIM. Everyone seems very nice here till something is the least bit inconvenient and I have learned with time to be cautious who (whom?) I ask for help.

I hope Blu shows tonight (predicting rain later) because I want to feed her and take a pic for my gardener. I mentioned her to him and he said maybe his son would take her but I'm not sure Julio fully understood what I was asking him...but I thought it was worth a try and I told him I would take a pic for him if I could. I know beggars cannot be choosers and all that jazz but I do not know Julio's son and family life so also not sure about that even if he was willing which probably he won't be as he already has 3 or 4 (Julio wasn't sure). Oy vey. Looking into the rescue group situation in this area...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blu showed up much earlier today though she left without finishing- not sure why but our neighbors came out so maybe that spooked her. I hope she returns to finish. It was difficult to get a good pic from inside but here it is. Not a good pic but you can see her... sort of.

OK she returned and I figured out how to zoom on my phone so this is a more close up pic but very blurry. Guess the phone doesn't take the best pics LOL.

babyblu.jpg

blurryblu.jpg

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Missy, your raccoon story reminded me of the other night...I, too, am a sucker for wild kitties, and there is a handsome guy that I've been feeding for quite a while. I live in a medium sized city, and I live IN the city, but there are possums, skunks, and the occasional raccoon that help themselves to any food that Brother doesn't eat. In fact, sometimes I put out any leftovers specifically for the wild life. I know my neighbors LOVE that :nono: Anyway, the other night, I went out around 10:15 or so to throw out some leftovers. Heard some scuffling in the flower bed, and looked up to see a skunk's behind about 2 or 3 feet away, with its little feet stamping. Scared the crap out of me! Thankfully, I got out before I got sprayed.

Blu looks like a very pretty girl, I hope you can work something out for her. You're so tenderhearted.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Okie, you are a fellow animal lover and I know just as tender hearted as me...my heart really hurts thinking of poor Blu. :cry: I would be willing to pay whatever costs necessary if I could only find a good home. I know she doesn't stand much of a chance in the "wild" and according to my sis stray cats only live about 2-3 years if they are lucky. ;( Plus, I am worried there are coyotes around here based on what the bike shop owner in town said and that's another thing on my mind. For some reason she didn't finish the wet food...I hope she returns...I am waiting for my darn nosy neighbors to go inside so I can put some dry food out. They are always sitting outside in the backyard!

Glad you didn't get sprayed Okie!!

ETA: Okie, can you tell if she is a calico? I know nothing about their patterns and not sure why I even think she is...

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
missy|1345234612|3253260 said:
Oh Okie, you are a fellow animal lover and I know just as tender hearted as me...my heart really hurts thinking of poor Blu. :cry: I would be willing to pay whatever costs necessary if I could only find a good home. I know she doesn't stand much of a chance in the "wild" and according to my sis stray cats only live about 2-3 years if they are lucky. ;( Plus, I am worried there are coyotes around here based on what the bike shop owner in town said and that's another thing on my mind. For some reason she didn't finish the wet food...I hope she returns...I am waiting for my darn nosy neighbors to go inside so I can put some dry food out. They are always sitting outside in the backyard!

Glad you didn't get sprayed Okie!!

ETA: Okie, can you tell if she is a calico? I know nothing about their patterns and not sure why I even think she is...

Thanks, Missy, I'm glad I didn't get sprayed, too! And I hope your nosy neighbors go in soon.

I know just how you feel about Blu...my Brother hasn't been around in maybe 2 weeks or so, and I fear for him. I'm hoping that he's found another good place to eat dinner. Even though he's pretty feral (I've never been able to get closer than about 3 feet from him, he comes when called, or used to, anyway.

Can you tell if Blu has three distinct colors? The typical calico is mainly white, with patches of black and usually orange. A dilute calico is also mainly white, but the black and orange are more toned down, more like gray and buff.

Here's a very tiny picture of a "typical" calico and a dilute calico.

220px-calico_and_dilute_calico_cats.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, hard to tell. Thanks for the pic Okie! If anything Blu is a dilute calico but maybe not even that. Maybe that means she is not a female which would make it easier re the spay/neuter. I remember Francesca was out for a long while when she was spayed and not herself for days. It would be better if Blu was a he.

The neighbors finally went inside and my dh brought out the hard food and 10 minutes later Blu returned and ate some but not all of it and disappeared again. Hope that means she is well fed and not hungry since she left food on the plate.

I hope Brother is safe and sound and comes around soon Okie!
Sending lots and lots of PS dust to all the strays out there. ::)

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
In 2 hours it'll be exactly 4 months that dad passed.......... gosh do I ever miss him................ people say it gets easier with time....... guess they lie...... there's this huge hole in my heart.........would do anything to see his face or hear his voice again........ how sad I only got to know hiim better the last 3 weeks of his life......... realized how I am more like him than I ever knew...... sorry, I just needed to get this off my chest didn't mean to bring anyone down............... thanks for letting me put this in writting...............time to dry off the tears and go start supper.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cluless|1345319403|3253663 said:
In 2 hours it'll be exactly 4 months that dad passed.......... gosh do I ever miss him................ people say it gets easier with time....... guess they lie...... there's this huge hole in my heart.........would do anything to see his face or hear his voice again........ how sad I only got to know hiim better the last 3 weeks of his life......... realized how I am more like him than I ever knew...... sorry, I just needed to get this off my chest didn't mean to bring anyone down............... thanks for letting me put this in writting...............time to dry off the tears and go start supper.

I'm so sorry for your loss and your pain Cluless, losing someone you love is so hard. I'm glad you've expressed your feelings though, I've learned lately that doing that can help and bring some comfort. ((((Hugs)))), so sorry you are feeling so down and I hope in time your grief lessens a little.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry Cluless. Anniversary dates are so hard. The emotions and their intensity, come flooding back. go with it. Don't try and be stoic - grief is grief. Hope you are ok today - just take it slow. Think good thoughts of the wonderful times you had together and how well you connected in his last months. {{{HUGS}}} thinking of you...

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Junebug & Enerchi A huge thank you ladies, all I needed right now was some understanding I guess, it means alot to me bless you ladies xo

Enerchi pardon my ignorance, but I had to look up stoic this is what I found it means:

sto·ic/ˈstō-ik/
Noun:
A person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining.

And then I had to smile you know.............. because that's who he was and that's who I am, his daughter

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Cluless, I'm sorry the pain is so raw right now. I lost my mom about a year and a half ago, and there are times still when I feel like you are feeling. A friend shared this with me recently, and it made so much sense to me, I hope it will bring you a little comfort.

You don't get over it, you get through it. You don't get by it, because you can't get around it. It doesn't "get better" it just gets different. Every day...grief puts on a new face.
Wendy Feireisen

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Okie I'm sorry for your loss hugs to you xo. Thank you for sharing that it helps understand it not lessen the pain right now, its just one of those days. Tomorrow will be a different day.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Cluless|1345337140|3253756 said:
Okie I'm sorry for your loss hugs to you xo. Thank you for sharing that it helps understand it not lessen the pain right now, its just one of those days. Tomorrow will be a different day.

Hugs right back at you, Cluless. And yes, tomorrow will be a different day. Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day for you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cluless - I don't have any words of wisdom, but here's another big HUG from me.
I'm so sorry for your loss, and Okie, for yours as well :(sad

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cluless and Okie, I am so sorry for your terrible losses. My heart goes out to you and sending big virtual hugs to you both.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Okie, Yssie, Missy Thank you for your hugs it means alot to me. Today is another day xo..............

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Cluless and Okie - I'm so sorry. :cry: Life is hard.

I just finished reading the whole Hunger Games series in 3 days. I was riveted. But honestly, I feel like crap now. What an emotionally draining story. I don't know how children read it. It will be with me for some time to come. :nono:

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I got to hold Theodore, our granddaughter's little bunny yesterday :love: She's had him from the time he was a teeny tiny bunny who got lost. I could have sat petting him for hours, but the timing was a bit off. Our DIL doesn't like the bunny being out of his cage (He just might pee or poop in her immaculate house/ museum).

Our DIL feels entitled to the very best of everything. She has been married to our son for almost 20 years and she and I had gotten along extremely well until yesterday....We had wanted to take our granddaughter out for lunch to her favourite restaurant before she goes back to school. The magic of the restaurant is one particular table on their patio. It was a first for her mother, but we thought we'd take a chance and invite her and our son as well. As she approached the place, the scowling started, but no words were spoken...until she said, "I have to look at a rusty roof all through lunch?" We had arranged the seating so that she had what I thought was a more than decent view of the little shops across from her. Yes, there was rust on the roof, but so what?

I have to confess that I yelled at her (first time in 20+ years), What the h#$$ is the matter with this place now?) She has already ruled out so many other restaurants as not being up to her standards that we're down to only the best few worthy of Her Highness. It was to be my treat, but really I felt like cancelling the whole lunch. Instead, we moved into their indoor dining room and had a decent (if quiet) meal.

I've re-played the whole scenario in my mind several times and I just don't understand why she, of all people, should demand more and better. She doesn't work outside the home so contributes nothing to the family coffers, her origins are far from royalty of any stature. Before she married our son, she worked as a hairdresser. Where does her feeling of entitlement come from?

Sorry for the rant, but maybe I'm missing something here :confused:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know nothing of your DIL, but plenty about those women ---- BEEYOTCHS! Self important, never satisfied, narcissistic people that feel the world should revolve around, and cater to, them alone... yeah, I'm familiar with the breed. :devil: Good for you for managing to get thru it. Some day, some how, Karma will turn around and bite them in the a$$. Those are the thoughts that get me thru contacts like that.

Just don't piss her off and then ask for a hair cut!! :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ISAKU - I'm sorry your DIL put a damper on what should have been a lovely lunch. I know you know this and you were probably caught off-guard or something, but... since you were treating, you could simply have said "yes, this happens to be my favorite table" and left it at that.

(I really, really hate seeing my friends get pushed around!)

I hope you're doing well!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a "spare" volunteer usher for our local musical theater. I usually get an email a few days before the show if they need me for that week. After the last performance the head usher made a general announcement to the effect of "unless I hear otherwise, I'll expect to you here in two weeks."

:confused:

So this morning I sent him the following note: I'm not sure if you're expecting to see me there tonight... I assume you have a full roster, but if not, I'm available.

Head usher's response: Yes, and on 9/2 also

:confused: :lol: He's an engineer IRL - can you tell?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I just wanna say, that I think this thread is amazing. I love how posters can contribute and are given positive feedback and support. Way to go VRBeauty, for starting this random comments thread!! And, healing thoughts and vibes to all that are going through rough patches, with health, family, work or friends.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On Wednesday in a tragic accident, the savannah cat world lost its greatest ambassador, Trouble, the Guinness record holder as the world's tallest cat. I met him last year and he was a gentle giant with a confident loving spirit. His owner is devastated as she lost her soul mate and she is having great difficulty coping with her loss. Tonight at 8 p.m. PST the savannah cat community lit candles in memory of Trouble and in recognition of the hundreds of people who met him and whose lives he touched. I humbly ask that the PS community animal lovers pray for Debby to find peace with this terrible situation and to find the strength to live without him.

_594.jpg

article-2080603-0f4d729300000578-795_634x440.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hlmr|1345417129|3254066 said:
I just wanna say, that I think this thread is amazing. I love how posters can contribute and are given positive feedback and support. Way to go VRBeauty, for starting this random comments thread!! And, healing thoughts and vibes to all that are going through rough patches, with health, family, work or friends.

:oops: thanks, hlmr - I'm glad to see it thriving! :))

Matata - what a magnificent cat! Hugs to you, and Trouble's owner, and other the savannah lovers who are feeling this loss.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Today is six years since my dad passed away unexpectedly in his sleep.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaDiva, so sorry for your loss and I am thinking of you on this anniversary. (((Hugs)))

Matata, sending out healing vibes to Trouble's owner Debby- and I hope the pain she is feeling doesn't outweigh the joy and love she shared with Trouble and I hope it can see her through this terrible time. I am keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
So many terrible anniversaries this week. My ex's dad (who I was very close to) passed away a year ago today. Awful awful awful.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Matata What a regal looking boy, I pray that fond memories of him help Deb get through her terrible loss, she will be in my toughts and prayers xo

Diadiva, I'm sorry for your loss thinking of you sending you hugs xo

Princess, I'm sorry looks like I'm repeating myself, you too will be in my thoughts and prayers xo hugs

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results