shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like you've made strong choices with your life and you know yourself, CharmedOne and you are reaping rewards for this now. I'm so glad you have such a great friendship with your mother in law.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much Polished. It wasn't easy, but I would not trade the life I have now, for anything :D

princesss

Ideal_Rock
This time next week I will be back in the States. I am trying to make sense of what my life will become, and all I can think is, "Escape! Escape! Don't go back, it's a trap!"

These 4 months have been amazing and I've learned a lot. Mostly I've learned just how much I've outgrown my life back there and how much I want to move out here permanently. And especially how much I want to be near my boyfriend - the last 4 months have been great for us, even if we only saw each other twice. But just being almost in the same time zone has done wonders and I'm not ready to give that up.

So...I think this is a dust request. Dust for all of the things I'm working on to hopefully get me on the right side of the Atlantic and close to my BF. And, while I'm hoping, to find a job in an industry that excites me, because one of the things I've learned is exactly how much I don't like what I'm doing now.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Princesss, I hope it works out in your favour!! DUST DUST DUST!!! To have such discouragement and disappointment about the future --- not a good sign. Where are you now? And where (in the states) will you be returning to? Is there anything remotely like what you want to be doing, a possibility in the location you are currently at? Will your BF always be where he is now?

(clearly, too many questions!! sorry!!)

Good wishes that your situation turns around and it works out for you, your job and your relationship! {{{HUGS}}} + dust!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I just updated tapatalk and can now upload pictures yeah!!!!!!!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Princess, Loads and Loads of Dust your way. I hope you can get through it all and be happy. I wish you all the best.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1346073453|3257779 said:
Princesss, I hope it works out in your favour!! DUST DUST DUST!!! To have such discouragement and disappointment about the future --- not a good sign. Where are you now? And where (in the states) will you be returning to? Is there anything remotely like what you want to be doing, a possibility in the location you are currently at? Will your BF always be where he is now?

(clearly, too many questions!! sorry!!)

Good wishes that your situation turns around and it works out for you, your job and your relationship! {{{HUGS}}} + dust!

Aww, thanks, Enerchi and CharmedOne!

Right now I'm in Denmark and moving back to North Carolina. There are things related to what I want to do within my company, so I think I'll start looking for those jobs. I also have built a good network here of friends and coworkers who know I would love to move back/to Europe in general, so they're helping me figure out where to look and what potential next steps would be. I also have a solid network outside of the company, so I'm working that, too. BF does not always have to be where he is, but he's pretty locked in for the next 2 years. After that, he's willing to move wherever I want to go (yay!), but until then I need to find a way to be close to him.

It's crazy to me that I am even considering one of these things (okay, not the international move, that's been a given for me, but the move towards the BF/change of industries), let alone all 3 at once! I am generally the type to triple check that I am doing the right thing, but this time my gut says jump, so I'm jumping. It's probably the first time I'm going on instinct alone, and it's intimidating.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
So yesterday dad said that I was crazy and that he never told me that he wanted to get married again. He said mom would be back soon and just because she went to visit her sister does not mean he can marry someone else. This was weird. He hasn't said anything like this in avery long time.I guess That I should not take him too seriously anymore when he says things.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm on my second day home with some sort of flu bug. Nothing too violent, just a low fever and feeling miserable. YUCK. Knowing how easily this thing was passed on to me, I'm going to play it safe and stay away from work until I'm sure it's gone. Fortunately I have the luxury of plenty of sick leave and no immediate deadlines looming at work, but stuff will pile up nonetheless... :sick:

Pity party over. Carry on!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princesss -- Good luck!

VR -- Feel better soon.

SoCool -- I'm sorry.

Update here -- we got permanent custody!!! The ex got a look at what we filed and called our attorney to work out a plan. She can't afford an attorney and has admitted that she is unable to care for a 13 year old. The other woman went bonkers. Showed up at our door and was concerning enough that we had to lock ourselves in a room and call the police to remove her from the area. We had three county sheriff cars in front of our house and a 4th showed up part way through. Things went down hill from there.
We filed for a protection order but the court won't issue one without a police report. I just heard back (finally :nono: ) from the sheriff's office and was informed that there was no report written for the incident! What?!!!?!? The woman RAN from them and had to be restrained. They apparently know her because one of the sheriffs recognized her name and requested an additional car to have witnesses present. She had driven to our house on a suspended license and was trying to break through the door into our home. But that doesn't warrant a report???
Oh.... and the middle school won't put anything in the file to let teachers and administrators know that this woman is NOT to be allowed near "A" and absolutely not to take her anywhere. They only put a note in the file if there is a protection order in place. Otherwise they don't keep an eye on that sort of thing.
So..... can't inform teachers without a protection order but can't get a protection order without a report?
And to make things even more interesting, this other woman kept "A"s passport, birth certificat, and vaccination record and has family out of country.
We're keeping a close eye and getting the passport canceled ASAP. I'll also have a chat with the teachers so they are aware of the situation. "A" has gotten to see plenty of this woman's behavior the last few days (we had another incident that led to the three of us heading to my office and sitting locked in that room for a bit :sick: ) that she says she doesn't want to see her again and knows what she will do if she sees her anywhere (get to a teacher or other known person immediately). I feel bad she's had to see all this.

Today is her 13th b-day. I had just 2 days to pull it all together, but we just had a great party with several of her friends and a bunch of her new family. (my littlest cousin has declared "A" to be "the best cousin ever!") We made it through 6 whole pizzas and 15 giant cupcakes.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
That is great news Too Patient!! I know it's taken longer and more drama than planned but you made it! :appl:
Welcome to the world of teenagers, homework, Internet, boys, etc. :cheeky: :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fantastic update Too Patient!! I'm so glad it worked out in your (and "A's") favour. Sounds like there is a seriously loose canon in her background.... holy cow! The rest of it all will fall into place, in time. Meanwhile, keep her safe and make sure there is no contact with the other woman. How sad for all involved.

You and your DH are wonderful people to give this girl a new lease on a good life ahead. Thank you for being so kind and compassionate! Blessings upon both of you!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hawaiianorangetree|1346307395|3259628 said:
That is great news Too Patient!! I know it's taken longer and more drama than planned but you made it! :appl:
Welcome to the world of teenagers, homework, Internet, boys, etc. :cheeky: :bigsmile:

Thanks HOT!

She had very little since most of the stuff we managed to get back from that woman was just trash. We've been out shopping almost every day this week. It is.... interesting.... shopping with a kid who wavers between refusing to buy a $40 pair of jeans because they are too expensive and refusing to shop anywhere other than Nordstroms because nothing else is worth looking at.
She's still determined that she is a vegan so I've been cooking veggie meals that are well balanced with suitable protien. Of course she will quite happily munch a sample of stuff with eggs at the grocery store and just wanted sour cream potato chips for lunch :roll:

Much to work through with her but she seems to be pretty much a normal teenager!

We're also now up to FOUR cats and 2 dogs :-o

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TP - I'm not sure how this girl came to be a part of your family, but it sounds like a good arrangement for her - and for you. Best wishes to you all - and enjoy!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1346332096|3259710 said:
TP - I'm not sure how this girl came to be a part of your family, but it sounds like a good arrangement for her - and for you. Best wishes to you all - and enjoy!

SO's daughter. We fought once already to get her out of that situation and just couldn't manage. Things went from not good to absolutely awful (abandoned at a friend's home) so we tried again and won this time.

Thanks Enerchi! Been an interesting little bit here. Now to settle into some sort of routine.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, school has changed!

Staggered start? (6th graders for 3 hours, 7th graders for the next 3 hours, 8th grade next day :?: )
Leave 80% of school supplies in room instead of taking home? (like the basic protractor and stuff)
1/2 day every Wednesday? (done at noon!)

And what is it with the crazy schedule? -- M/W/F go to all 6 classes, T go go 6/4/2, TH go to 5/3/1 :-o
I'm certainly not the sort to baby and think 13 yr olds can't be asked to keep track of their own schedules, but yikes!

It is one of the best schools in our state (even compared to private) and has excellent test scores so it must work okay. I'm just surprised.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds VERY different from when my kids were in school which was Mon - Fri, 8 - 3.... and to think that system worked for decades! :roll:

Was this for SO's daughter? Is that her new schedule --- too hard to keep track of, at least for my simple mind!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1346785579|3262265 said:
That sounds VERY different from when my kids were in school which was Mon - Fri, 8 - 3.... and to think that system worked for decades! :roll:

Was this for SO's daughter? Is that her new schedule --- too hard to keep track of, at least for my simple mind!

Yep. She's 13 now and expected to follow that schedule. I'm not the sort to baby and have low expectations, but.... I'D never be able to make it to the right classes!

At least at this school it is over early. The other one in the area starts several hours late one day a week!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Just to let you know, as a middle school teacher, they get the schedules way faster than the adults do. My kids as teens had a rotating 6 day that went periods 1234567, next day 2345671, next day 3456712, etc...crazy but they got it.
At my school We are on a rotating block schedule A day 2,4,6,8 then B day 1,3,5,7
Longer classes better to cover topics. Kids like only having 4 classes a day.
Welcome to the old of Middle School and best of luck with your family stuff! You sound like perfect people for this child!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elisateach|1346853709|3262568 said:
Just to let you know, as a middle school teacher, they get the schedules way faster than the adults do. My kids as teens had a rotating 6 day that went periods 1234567, next day 2345671, next day 3456712, etc...crazy but they got it.
At my school We are on a rotating block schedule A day 2,4,6,8 then B day 1,3,5,7
Longer classes better to cover topics. Kids like only having 4 classes a day.
Welcome to the old of Middle School and best of luck with your family stuff! You sound like perfect people for this child!

I always disliked the short classes in middle school. We had 7 classes per day and each one was about 45-50 minutes. By the time everyone is sitting down, there isn't much time to actually do anything. Shifting to longer classes does make sense.

Once they've got the idea, I'm sure the kids do fine.
I'm anticipating a phone call today to let me know A was late to class. I've showed her the website and the woman in the office told her about the schedule too but she doesn't believe it. She is certain that she goes to all 6 of her classes every day in the same order. Eh. No harm in letting her learn about it herself. There are plenty of teachers to point her to the right class.

We're taking her to Kumon for an assessment today. She's very behind in math and I'm not sure if she actually reads books or just carries them around and flips pages. The people at the one right by her school seem very nice. They aim at 20 minute meetings with her once or twice a week and keep the homework books adjusted to give her 10-15 minutes per day practice problems.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My classes start in 2 weeks. My replacement interviewed yesterday. I found two very good people so now the guys have to make the choice between them. I may be biased, but I think my aunt is the best choice!

We had lots of fun yesterday. After school, we hopped in the car and took the dogs to herd sheep. 90 minute drive but well worth it. Our youngest is the 2 year old corgie/lab mix who has lots of energy. She wasn't too sure of these things that were so much bigger than her, but she eventually got into it. The older dog (about 19 years old) is a rottweiler/shepherd mix who has always tried to herd the cats. She watched other dogs herding and looked really excited. Her turn came so I took her in the herding area, waited for the sheep to be released, took her leash off, and....... she ate poop. :nono: Ignored the sheep and just munched on sheep poop. The woman who works with the sheep and I both tried to get her attention. She finally decided to walk around behind me a bit so long as she could stop every now and then for another snack. Yeah.... :knockout: She did look up eventually and started to walk towards one of the sheep.
Oh well. We'll go back again and maybe she'll be more interested in the animals!

Okay.... off to order some chairs and table cloths. Hosting dinner in our home for about 20 people tomorrow.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1346941505|3263095 said:
We had lots of fun yesterday. After school, we hopped in the car and took the dogs to herd sheep. 90 minute drive but well worth it. Our youngest is the 2 year old corgie/lab mix who has lots of energy. She wasn't too sure of these things that were so much bigger than her, but she eventually got into it. The older dog (about 19 years old) is a rottweiler/shepherd mix who has always tried to herd the cats. She watched other dogs herding and looked really excited. Her turn came so I took her in the herding area, waited for the sheep to be released, took her leash off, and....... she ate poop. :nono: Ignored the sheep and just munched on sheep poop.

LOL - too funny! At least your young dog had some fun, and it sounds like your older dog got some - um - nutrition!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
How am I JUST noticing that the first post in a thread is blue and the subsequent posts are white?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am down to the final hour on an ebay item I'm bidding on. My anxiety levels are rising higher.... I'm much better with a direct retail transaction and a 'bing bang boom - SOLD!' experience. :errrr: OTOH - I love a good deal ;))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
didn't win... oh well... As Scarlet O'hara said, "Tomorrow is another day"!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I totally forgot to put any rings on this morning. My hands feel naked.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh thank heavens!!! WF has fixed the spelling error in the Verragio partnership banner that ran on PS. It was bugging me...
ANNOUCE their partnership? so glad that now they can ANNOUNCE it!

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi, care to share what you were bidding on? Sorry you didn't win

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
A diamond solitaire ring that I was torn between "I want I want I want" vs "oh I shouldn't/maybe its not for me/no no no". So maybe the universe didn't think this was the one for me...

eBay is much to stressful for me! How do the experts do it??? :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results