shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
April20|1316871393|3024593 said:
I slept until 1145 this morning! Felt wonderful.

I'm jealous!!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1317074212|3026219 said:
Had a scary talk at work today. Its a new job and I JUST moved specifically to be close to work.

Ugh.

I need a glass of wine.

Oh no!! What happened???

princesss

Ideal_Rock
VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1317242867|3028163 said:
VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the big trip, right?! I'm so psyched for you. Have a great time!

April20

Ideal_Rock
We're going to Mexico for a rescheduled vacation Dec 11-18. For the last two years, I've done a girls spa w/e New Year's w/e. DH wasn't so sure I should go on two trips so close together.

We won't be back from Africa until Dec 1 and may be back here after the new year. It's amazing how well reasoning that we've been gone soooooo long and may be gone again and they're my friends, it's like my last hurrah, works.

Guilt free second trip for me!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1317240295|3028112 said:
Had a scary talk at work today. Its a new job and I JUST moved specifically to be close to work.

Ugh.

I need a glass of wine.

Oh no!! What happened???

It sounds silly, but I gave my first presentation and afterwards they had a sit down talk with me about how I blinked too much. I was a bit nervous because I didn't know most of the people there so I guess it showed. I've never had a negative review of my presentation skills before so I was surprised.

That in and of itself doesn't seem that bad, but I was hired to replace a painfully shy person so now they're questioning whether they made the right decision. HR was nice about it, but the owner said point blank that they wouldn't keep me if I didn't "exude confidence" over the next few weeks. I can definitely improve my presenting skills, but exuding confidence is so subjective and I'm generally not an "in your face" type of person.

Now I'm far more nervous.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1317282314|3028567 said:

Ugh.

I need a glass of wine.

Oh no!! What happened???

It sounds silly, but I gave my first presentation and afterwards they had a sit down talk with me about how I blinked too much. I was a bit nervous because I didn't know most of the people there so I guess it showed. I've never had a negative review of my presentation skills before so I was surprised.

That in and of itself doesn't seem that bad, but I was hired to replace a painfully shy person so now they're questioning whether they made the right decision. HR was nice about it, but the owner said point blank that they wouldn't keep me if I didn't "exude confidence" over the next few weeks. I can definitely improve my presenting skills, but exuding confidence is so subjective and I'm generally not an "in your face" type of person.

Wow, isn't it frustrating when they kick you when you're down? I hate that kind of feedback. Did they give you any positive comments at all? Okay, so you were nervous and it probably showed, but for the owner to be so blunt seems uncalled for. I hate that. Sorry you got that news!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like Ass. Prof. Hellman ( ya that was on purpose) right now. I definitively don't like deffered tax liabilties when dealing with replacment cost accounting. There is a reason why they stopped using that method! :angryfire:

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Went to the dentist yesterday and spent TWO hours there. Will have to get a root canal that I had done 3 years ago redone because the dentist at the time messed it up. Yay...can't wait..............

On the plus side, I'm leaving for NYC for a short vacay on Monday evening, and will be spending some quality time with my two lil nephews, they are so cute!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1317290368|3028596 said:
chemgirl|1317282314|3028567 said:

Ugh.

I need a glass of wine.

Oh no!! What happened???

Wow, isn't it frustrating when they kick you when you're down? I hate that kind of feedback. Did they give you any positive comments at all? Okay, so you were nervous and it probably showed, but for the owner to be so blunt seems uncalled for. I hate that. Sorry you got that news!

HR person was at the presentation and she said I was articulate and my voice was strong. She liked that I wasn't using notes and obviously knew what I was talking about. She said I spoke with authority. She doesn't seem to think the blinking is that much of a problem and suggested that it would probably improve with experience. Apparently the last person in this position completely fell apart whenever she had to speak to more than one person at a time and they eventually had to let her go. Hiring for the position took over 4 months so the owner is scared. I just have to do a better job hiding my nerves next time! I'm feeling a bit better about it now, but I was not happy after that meeting!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1317247488|3028225 said:
princesss|1317242867|3028163 said:
VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the big trip, right?! I'm so psyched for you. Have a great time!

Yup, this is it! I'm so excited.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1317298639|3028629 said:
It sounds silly, but I gave my first presentation and afterwards they had a sit down talk with me about how I blinked too much.
HR person was at the presentation and she said I was articulate and my voice was strong. She liked that I wasn't using notes and obviously knew what I was talking about. She said I spoke with authority. Apparently the last person in this position completely fell apart whenever she had to speak to more than one person at a time and they eventually had to let her go. Hiring for the position took over 4 months so the owner is scared. I just have to do a better job hiding my nerves next time!

"Blinked too much," how silly can you get? Blow that off, Chemgirl. Don't worry -- you're experienced & you'll do great from now on.

I've done hundreds of scientific & marketing presentations around the world, usually to complete strangers. Think of yourself watching somebody give a presentation. Are you waiting for her to screw up so you can sneer? No. If you think she's a little nervous, you want to smile & help her along, right? If she seems at ease & confident, you're happy to go along with her & listen. Everybody in your audience feels like that when you speak. They want you to do well -- we're an empathetic species, we humans. In the beginning I took 5 deep, slow breaths before starting & remembered that my audience is made of people just like me, who want to hear what the speaker has to say & are more than prepared to like her. After that, it's smooth sailing.

Screw-ups happen too & taking them in stride w/a shrug works. I had to give a marketing plan in Singapore at a meeting of our Asian distributors. Due to flight delays I arrived from the States only about an hour before going on. Had never met anyone there -- except my new boss, who attended with our co.'s entire management committee, to evaluate me, yack! Everything was fine for the 1st hour -- & then my entire brain went BLANK. Forgot what I was gonna say completely. I could only smile & sigh & say, "Jet lag just hit me like a hammer; the nuts & bolts came loose in my brain." No tension; everybody laughed & we broke for coffee. My boss was complimentary.

The more you pretend not to be nervous, the more true it becomes. You'll be super!

--- Laurie

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie I'm going to remember your post every time I have to give a presentation. It's so reassuring precisely because it's so true!

chemgirl - it sounds like you did a great job, it really does! If blinking too much is the only room for improvement, well, I'd say you just about aced the presentation :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1317349136|3029333 said:
Laurie I'm going to remember your post every time I have to give a presentation. It's so reassuring precisely because it's so true!

chemgirl - it sounds like you did a great job, it really does! If blinking too much is the only room for improvement, well, I'd say you just about aced the presentation :appl:

@chemgirl- agreed! Maybe next time you should present with an exaggerated open eye look :shock:

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Tonight I made 3 dozen snickerdoodle cookies. And 2 batches of brownies. I was bored. I'm going to give them to the kids next door. They are the sweetest, well mannered children I ever met. They always address me as 'Ms. First Name'. How cute is that?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Blinking too much!? Now that is really silly. If he's prepared to fire people on a whim like that how does he expect to keep anyone?

Maybe the girl you replaced wouldn't have fallen apart so badly if she'd gotten any kind of support or motivation.

Sorry you have to deal with that Chemgirl! Sounds like the real problem is that these people need to improve their management skills.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I was just talking to my 3.5 year old niece on the phone. She informed me she got a cat and she named him "toilet". I asked my Mom if she really got a cat or if it was imaginary. She did, apparently it just showed up one day. Mom asked if she could call him "Toy" for short. My niece told her NO.... His name is Toilet! Oy!!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I ate too many wasabi peas yesterday and today my sense of taste is gone. This sucks. Damn you, wasabi peas for being so crunchy and spicey and salty!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were supposed to start vacation this week but because of my dh's medical issue we had to postpone. All I care about is that he is well so I am not upset about postponing at all- I just want him to be 100% OK!! But, I am in desperate need of a vacation from work as I feel so burned out... Hopefully my dh will get a clean bill of health and in a few weeks we can reschedule our time off. Fingers crossed he will be fine!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20|1317578151|3031301 said:
I was just talking to my 3.5 year old niece on the phone. She informed me she got a cat and she named him "toilet". I asked my Mom if she really got a cat or if it was imaginary. She did, apparently it just showed up one day. Mom asked if she could call him "Toy" for short. My niece told her NO.... His name is Toilet! Oy!!

LOL, the minds of children! :bigsmile:
It is super funny I think though and very original!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching DWTS and they just performed their "stars of dance" special - "Do the Twist" --

all I can say is Oh My Goodness!!!!

*big sigh*

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Jewel Freak, Porridge, Amys Bling, and Yssie and Zeo for your kind works and encouragement!

I am feeling a lot better about it now and I'm focusing on how I can improve for my next presentation!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
They love my stone over at Single Stone. I feel so proud. I'm a complete dork. :praise:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do people have to be manipulative and nasty? Life is hard enough without some people taking advantage of the people in the world who try to do good.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm feeling really, really happy today. Can I just say how much I love my kids (well, students)?! They rock.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1318025236|3035585 said:
I'm feeling really, really happy today. Can I just say how much I love my kids (well, students)?! They rock.
Haha, that made me smile. Hooray for happy days!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1317680713|3032389 said:
We were supposed to start vacation this week but because of my dh's medical issue we had to postpone. All I care about is that he is well so I am not upset about postponing at all- I just want him to be 100% OK!! But, I am in desperate need of a vacation from work as I feel so burned out... Hopefully my dh will get a clean bill of health and in a few weeks we can reschedule our time off. Fingers crossed he will be fine!!

Sending good vibes your way!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh. Drank waaaaay too much at our friends wedding last night... :knockout:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

DON'T tell me you can't compile. You WILL regret it.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
DH woke up wearing 3 pairs of underwear today! I think the guy might be a sleepwalker.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results