shape
carat
color
clarity

I just bought a ring, and google has made me worry

OPXur

Rough_Rock
I am almost positive I overpaid, but also my bit of after-purchase research also points me in the direction of my diamond might not be as good quality as the certificate due to the lab (GSI).

Details: .7ct Leo from KAY
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Polish/Sym: G/VG
And Very Highs on their possibly BSAF Light Performance Report

I had a previous ring that I used to trade in and "save" some money, but I still think this might be overpriced. I want to get it GIA certified but it sounds like it would be quite a bit of additional time and effort. I don't have any pictures of it, it's being shipped out to have the setting changed from 4 to 6 prong.

Not sure what I'm looking for from this post, just want to start a discussion about it.

TYIA!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you return it?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, there's not really enough information there for us to see how well cut the diamond is. Have you actually seen the stone in person? Is it eye clean? I haven't heard of GSI to be honest, folks on here would mostly recommend sticking with GIA or AGS. Is there a decent return policy if you change your mind?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really isn't a lot of time or effort to get a gia stone.

Let us know if it's fully refundable, becuase if it's not I'm not sure this is a road worth going down

OPXur

Rough_Rock
I saw it, and it looked very clean. But I am no way good at this, just can see visible inclusions usually. I can return it for 60 or 90 days I believe.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OPXur|1464973256|4039828 said:
I saw it, and it looked very clean. But I am no way good at this, just can see visible inclusions usually. I can return it for 60 or 90 days I believe.

Return it and get something else from last or a full refund

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OPXur said:

I would do that. Like Niel said, it's not hard to find a good GIA or AGS stone. [emoji4]

OPXur

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure if I should buy from there just because I do save money because of the trade in ($2k). Or if I should try to find a diamond ring elsewhere.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OPXur said:
I'm not sure if I should buy from there just because I do save money because of the trade in ($2k). Or if I should try to find a diamond ring elsewhere.

Elsewhere. There are lots of PS members who would love to help! Diamonds are expensive -- you should get the best quality for your money...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you'll post your budget and specs for diamond and setting, we can help. [emoji1360]

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1464973343|4039830 said:

+1! Even if you are saving $ by going with them, it isn't worth it. You can certainly get something much better (and less expensive) with the help of people here. Diamonds are pricey, it's not worth wasting money at Kay for overpriced stones that are of inferior quality.

Return it, you won't regret it!

OPXur

Rough_Rock
Think I'd like to keep it under $4.5k. Which at Kay means I can spend ~$6k before tax.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs said:
Niel|1464973343|4039830 said:

+1! Even if you are saving $ by going with them, it isn't worth it. You can certainly get something much better (and less expensive) with the help of people here. Diamonds are pricey, it's not worth wasting money at Kay for overpriced stones that are of inferior quality.

Return it, you won't regret it!

...especially in light of recent claims of all thing terrible by Kay! [emoji16][emoji16]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OPXur said:
Think I'd like to keep it under $4.5k. Which at Kay means I can spend ~$6k before tax.

Great! No problem! You'll be able to get a much higher quality GIA or AGS diamond with a reputable jeweler. Kay and many other "mall jewelers" are terribly overpriced and sell crap stones.

Can you post a pic of the ring you have, assuming you want to stick with a similar style?...

Tell us what shape and size stone you'd like.

OPXur

Rough_Rock
GF likes round, six prong setting, low mount. Size probably between .7 and a 1 ct.

I think I might bring home this ring once its back and send out some pictures. Have that return policy anyway...Maybe have a local jeweler take a look and tell me what he thinks...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, there's two things at play, you've overpaid for what you've got and it probably is misrepresented. So what will a jewel tell you? What if they say it's a represented? That won't chance the fact even if it where it's overpriced.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
OPXur|1464974562|4039842 said:
GF likes round, six prong setting, low mount. Size probably between .7 and a 1 ct.

I think I might bring home this ring once its back and send out some pictures. Have that return policy anyway...Maybe have a local jeweler take a look and tell me what he thinks...

Show us instead of a local jeweler. A jeweler has "skin in the game" and may want to make a sale. We just do this for a hobby, and have no reason to lie to you. Post photos and we'll see if we can find you something better in your budget. It's happened so many times of these boards, it's not even funny--and people are almost ALWAYS happier they went with a ring recommended on Pricescope vs. a chain jewelry store like Kay, Jared, etc.

OPXur

Rough_Rock
Will do. Any suggested ways to take pictures? I don't have a fancy camera, so it will most likely be my 16MP phone camera.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my pictures are from my phone. Go under a tree. Don't use a flash, turn your macro lense on your phone.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Get as close as you can without it going blurry.

There are a bunch of G/H VS2 excellent cut stones on James Allen in your budget (under $4k for the diamond) and I'm sure someone can make a recommendation on a few stones, and these two settings would be 6 prong and keep you around $4,500 all in. I believe there's also a way to get a discount on James Allen (a referral code or something) to save $100.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-modern-tulip-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50671
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-2mm-comfort-fit-solitaire-engagement-ring-six-prong-item-7995

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
you are overpaying by a lot for a most likely not so great stone. You could get a .8 ACA from Whiteflash (A beautifuly cut diamond) and stay within your budget with a simple solitaire setting.

Q

Queenie60

I suggest you return the ring immediately. Take your funds and have the experts on this site help you to find a nice stone with an upgrade policy from one of the recommended vendors on this PS forum. You will be much happier with a nice stone. Kay Jewelers sells junk.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the normal price on this ring was $6.5K and you used your ring, valued at $2K, toward it. You have $4.5K including tax to spend, plus whatever you can get for your trade-in, right?

Assuming you want the specs, this is a 0.70 ct for G, SI1 for $3,368 which leaves you around $1.2K for a setting.
www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3365320.htm

There are several 6 prongs settings of varying heights.
18K white gold for $1,364 www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/swan-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-310.htm
Basic 14K, 18K or platinum for $350 to $725 depending on metal www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-582.htm
18K for $844 and Platinum for $1,120 www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/felicity-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1613.htm
There are lots more too.

My favourite of those means you end up with a 0.70, G, SI1 ideal cut in a platinum 6 prong setting with the ability to upgrade and you get to keep your old ring (or sell it) for $4,488. That's less money out of pocket, same size diamond, better cut. I didn't look very hard. I'm sure you can get a bit larger diamond if you go for white gold setting or change the specs of the diamond you want.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit...looks like Rhea posted some suggestions as I was doing this. There may be some overlap but I'm going to post anyway.

Some possible options for you...
This is a super ideal cut that would make pretty much anyone happy 8)
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3638364.htm
Setting...I would ask them what they have that is a little nicer than this but still in your $600 budget
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/ritani-1rz7295-solitaire-engagement-ring-4031.htm

You could also drop down in the "I" range in a super ideal and spend a little more on the setting (that would be my choice)
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3667822.htm $3400 wire
Setting
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/felicity-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1613.htm $818 wired
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/contemporary-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-1416.htm $824 wired

James Allen options
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1108861 $3470
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1098194 $4k
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.80-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-905041 $3870

Depending on which stone you like you can go with a simple 6 prong solitaire or something with some side stones. Here are just
a few.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-six-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-53316
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/18k-white-gold-six-prong-wire-basket-engagement-ring-item-22609
If you have $1k left for the setting this is a really nice one.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-tailored-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41042

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OPXur|1464973888|4039839 said:
Return your ring now! . ..Don't waste anymore $$$ at Kay's... :knockout:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1465004709|4039957 said:

I wouldn't even worry about the trade in. Get some diamond earrings, a pendant, a bracelet, or even a wedding band with that trade in instead.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, I love doing this.

It's takes a little time but I'm a true geekette, so this is my thing.

Voila!

A diamond from Kay!

And a diamond from James Allen!

$4,779.99!

$2,960.00!

Look closely! Real closely!

Congratulations, I just saved you $1,818.99 and you're going to get better service!

Use that last 99 cents to buy a cup of coffee.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1465050939|4040111 said:
Dancing Fire|1465004709|4039957 said:

I wouldn't even worry about the trade in. Get some diamond earrings, a pendant, a bracelet, or even a wedding band with that trade in instead.

exactly! I wouldn't worry about the trade in. My husband got his tungsten wedding band at Kay and loves it. I'd just get something else from there that isn't an e-ring diamond with the trade in. But as a PSA, DONT get a diamond wedding band from there if you get a wedding set elsewhere (of better quality). I made that mistake to save $, and the band from Kay looked "dead" all the time. I basically recommend avoiding all of their diamonds and trading in the ring for a non-diamond item.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results