shape
carat
color
clarity

I just bought a 5.5 ct unheated sapphire. What do I need to look for/ be aware of when I get it?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Let's wait and see when it arrives. It's too soon to make other plans. One step at a time. Bring it to your jeweller and scrutinize the stone as much as you can, see its performance under various lights, etc.

That’s fair, will do!

Also thank you all for answering my sapphire questions for the last year or so. I realized I prob ask one sapphire question/ quarter. Hopefully this is the end to that and I can move on to harassing this forum about other gemstones. I appreciate you all, this is def my fave forum.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Always good to have a few opinions but don't forget you haven't seen it yet and you may not like it! The only thing is that they probably won't be able to tell you much until they see it. Why not send them a photo that's been posted above of the blown up version from the lab report? That will give them an idea but I doubt they'll be able to commit until seeing it. I know you only have a 3 day returns policy but why not speak with the seller and ask if that can be extended and explain that you want a lapidary to look at it to see if the cut can be improved?

Do you have a loupe? If yes, when it arrives, have a look and see if you can see anything of concern - you're looking for any internal cracks etc. Also run you nail gently across all surfaces to see if you can feel anything out of place and then if you do, give that area a good look through the loupe.

Thank you for the tip about checking for cracks. That’s not something I would have thought to do. I do have a loupe and it’s not very good - just the cheapest ebay one. I should prob buy myself a new one before it gets here since I have some time. I didn’t ask to upgrade to overnight shipping (I’m kicking myself for that now) but it would buy me some time.

I did send Jerry the cert and the big photo of the sapphire.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the tip about checking for cracks. That’s not something I would have thought to do. I do have a loupe and it’s not very good - just the cheapest ebay one. I should prob buy myself a new one before it gets here since I have some time. I didn’t ask to upgrade to overnight shipping (I’m kicking myself for that now) but it would buy me some time.

I did send Jerry the cert and the big photo of the sapphire.

I think her policy is three days once received? I'd double check, but I think it is.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful, I hope you love it! I have seen similar prices in traditional/live auctions which don't have return policies. I strongly suspect many of the vintage IG sellers get much of their inventory from traditional/live auctions. I don't think it will be hard to have a jeweler match the stone to the cert, or do it yourself via careful examination of the cut.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone. Great choice. I hope you love it when you see it in real life

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's beautiful & I love it's quirky personality! Looking forward to your thoughts when you see it & fingers crossed you love it.

Minnie99

Rough_Rock
I have been doing a lot of researches on sapphire. For blue sapphire, 1st determination on the price is unheated or heated. I m only interested in unheated blue sapphire. Follow by colour - Royal blue (but must not becomes too dark) or Cornflower blue. Next is clarity and lastly cut. 2 carat and above has a higher value and then the next tier in carat will jump in value. Hope this helps. Honestly, you can check online on the prices for unheated, Royal blue and cornflower blue. 2 carat and above - minimum USD2500 for cornflower blue and USD3500 for Royal Blue. Average price USD3000 per carat. So you should doubt if the price is lower by too much.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
She’s in! The vendor so kindly shipped on Black Friday. I wasn’t expecting it to ship out til Monday or so. But then it sat at the distribution center for days...

Anyway, here are pics in different lighting conditions (car, under the grow light, under my gross can lights, in sunlight).

9D336C97-39F5-4C2F-868E-7F2CA0CDAB15.jpeg 2B1358CD-18EE-40D0-9B34-14F190A4640D.jpeg 9D7EF297-2591-44FD-AEA1-3E67D55AFFDB.jpeg 798CC5DC-E985-455B-BE3D-EEA3D127F72B.jpeg B3B07588-AD0A-42C1-BB84-361F7A7048DB.jpeg 25D2BBC2-CEC6-4CCA-8ABF-C6A0320C0689.jpeg C479D065-798B-4F98-BB77-4107ED252547.jpeg

I’ve got no doubt that it is what the vendor said it is. It may not be a top of the line sapphire in terms of color but I love it. I’m taking it to my jeweler today so we can start the process of unsetting.

I want to make it clear to anyone lurking/ Googling the vendor that I’m very happy with the transaction.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks nice! Not as wonderful blue as in the vendor's pictures but it's still a very pretty blue. You don't intend to keep it in the setting?

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Lovely!
I would keep her in her chunky goodness myself- however I hope you enjoy getting her a new dress.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
It looks nice! Not as wonderful blue as in the vendor's pictures but it's still a very pretty blue. You don't intend to keep it in the setting?

No, I’ll be unsetting it. I’ll list the setting in the preloved forum at scrap value soon in case anyone can use it.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! What a find!!

Wouldn't the jeweller making your setting trade in the gold for scrap? All ours do, and it would save you having to deal with hassle of selling and posting out.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! What a find!!

Wouldn't the jeweller making your setting trade in the gold for scrap? All ours do, and it would save you having to deal with hassle of selling and posting out.

Yes they will. I figured if anyone on PS could use it, it will be mutually beneficial. If no one wants it I’m going to go that route.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Ah I see. Yes, it would be nice to see it being used by someone :)

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I think the color is captivating! It’s got a visual depth that draws you in and I love the intense violet color. Glad you’re happy with it!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
This popped up. Seller said it has dimensions of 10.17x7.53x5.37mm. Since I am still within my return period can anyone tell me if this is a better deal? I love mine and am leaning toward keeping it but if I don’t ask, I’ll always wonder.

Attachments

• E67976F4-8C48-4781-86EF-578A062388F7.png
    E67976F4-8C48-4781-86EF-578A062388F7.png
    637 KB · Views: 32

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
seems much lighter than the one in the ring, but that’s not a great picture of just the stone. Depends how much $ you want to spend. I like the first one, but that’s me.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know about a ‘better‘ deal, I think that’s too subjective
but from what I see of pictures of yours vs this other one
id still choose yours even at the higher price.
i really like the personality of the native cut of yours.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
seems much lighter than the one in the ring, but that’s not a great picture of just the stone. Depends how much $ you want to spend. I like the first one, but that’s me.

I don’t know about a ‘better‘ deal, I think that’s too subjective
but from what I see of pictures of yours vs this other one
id still choose yours even at the higher price.
i really like the personality of the native cut of yours.

Ok thanks! I needed the reassurance.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to the party, however I love the original ring for the Sapphire and its setting, and am gutted that the stone will be taken out for resetting into something that is more wearable by @winnietucker. Each to their own and all that.

I too prefer the Sapphire in the original ring for its colour, cutting and personality.

DK :))

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Late to the party, however I love the original ring for the Sapphire and its setting, and am gutted that the stone will be taken out for resetting into something that is more wearable by @winnietucker. Each to their own and all that.

I too prefer the Sapphire in the original ring for its colour, cutting and personality.

DK :))

If it makes you feel any better, I realized after going to the jeweler that my insurance won’t cover a loose stone. So she’ll stay set until I figure out what I want to do.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The set stone looks great in your photos! Enjoy!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it and think it was fairly represented. And it was a good value, imo. Shame you can't keep it in the mounting.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Great price for that stone! Well done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results