shape
carat
color
clarity

I have no idea how to dress for my age anymore

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc, I like that outfit a lot! I wish I could wave a wand and magic myself the outfits pinned to my board-it would be so much easier!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1369963396|3456631 said:
Ugh yes. I am in my mid-twenties and I feel like all my friends manage to look really polished in their casual clothes, whereas I just dress in jeans and w00t or thinkgeek tshirts. I have a lot of nice business clothes for work, and cute workout clothes, it's the nice casual clothes I'm missing! My friends have cute lace-overlay blouses and all sorts of things and just, idk, I can't really find any that I feel are okay. I only wear dresses for fancy occasions because I love sitting cross-legged and that just doesn't work with those, lol.

My mom dresses really nicely, but she does the "have about ten outfits and just rewear those" thing. Maybe that is better.

If you go on Pinterest there are a lot of really great infographics on how to build a wardrobe that can mix and match. I'm starting to do this a little more, and it's a huge help! I'm actually going to get rid of a lot of clothing and try this. Right now I'm doing okay with the cute casual (today's outfit - teal skinny jeans, loose graphic t, black blazer, statement necklace, and gold flats), but I'm slooooowly learning how to make an "outfit" instead of just throwing on clothes. Upgrading my shoes really helped as a first step, though. (I'm 27)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1370018468|3456898 said:
amc, I like that outfit a lot! I wish I could wave a wand and magic myself the outfits pinned to my board-it would be so much easier!

It's so cute! I think before I go on my next shopping trip I will spend a lot of time on pinterest (oh, boo) to get ideas. It really is a huge help.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I find that Banana Republic, Ann Taylor LOFT, and somestime Ann Taylor seem to be the most affordable ways to approach dressing your age when you are no longer a teenager or in college and in the professional world. I really love the classic style with enough trendy stuff mixed in that those stores have to offer. I really do have to force myself away from the jeans and tee shirts look but I am slowly getting to the point where I stop going there automatically.

I agree with Princesss that a way to really look more polished is to assemble outfits down to accessories. I always feel more like a woman and less like a girl when I dress this way and carry a nice handbag. Nothing extremely expensive but mid-sized, leather, without logos or huge embellishments.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I go through this every once in a while. Right now I am ok with being a 33 with two kids who still shop at AE. I think my thing is dressing like a mom vs dressing an age though, because I dress like others who are my age, or at least I think I do. The other thing is that AE fits me much better than places like Ann Taylor and BR.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, I like your style! :appl:

I wonder if I am having a crisis of maturity of some kind. I go shopping and there are SO MANY clothes that I think are "cute" that I want to wear, but I know they are too young for me to be wearing. I'm no frump. I am told often that I look good for my age. But now, I'm beginning to wonder if that is because I am dressing like a 20 year old.??

The other side of this...
I want to be sexy. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to walk around in skin tight jeans, with cleavage hanging out, while wearing clear heels. (no offense to those who are rocking this look :lol: ) I just want to feel feminine and beautiful and I want to catch my husband's eye. How does one look sexy as they get older?

I love the suggestion of buying outfits to the accessories. I don't work. I am a student and stay at home mom. I have found that these two particular occupations are more difficult to dress. I am going to have to check out the Loft.

There is so much good advice on this thread. I think I am suffering from a frame of mind issue too. :oops:

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I like the UZk company Boden and Garnet Hill for yummy mummy/aging appropriately clothes that aren 't too frumpy.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I like the UZk company Boden and Garnet Hill for yummy mummy/aging appropriately clothes that aren 't too frumpy.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great suggestions to check out Loft and BR for casual wear. I pretty much spend all of my summer weekends in Loft dresses. They're stretchy jersey so comfortable and wash well. So easy to throw on and just go everywhere in them, even the playground.

And that thought on frame of mind issue is def true. I put a lot of effort into my work clothes but didn't think my casual wear needed any thought until I saw a picture that DH took of me on a weekend. I looked frumpy in a washed out tee and cargo pants. Had to rethink all of my "I'm not at work but still need to look decent" options.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I read the first post, I didn't realize this was an old thread revived. I immediately thought "I have to point the OP to The Vivianne Files". I start reading answers and there I am, in 2013, recommending that exact blog. I had no idea I had been following it for so long.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain said:
When I read the first post, I didn't realize this was an old thread revived. I immediately thought "I have to point the OP to The Vivianne Files". I start reading answers and there I am, in 2013, recommending that exact blog. I had no idea I had been following it for so long.

Oops, didn't realize how old this thread was! Good for you for having consistent good advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results