I got my 5ct!! YAY!! Now I need help with a setting please

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I got my 5ct!! YAY!! Now I need help with a setting pl

Phoenix|1347461966|3266778 said:
Yssie|1347456367|3266731 said:
OMG.

OMG OMG OMG This has been in the making for YEARS and it's finally HERE!!!!!! I can't WAIT to see some handshots!!!

I gotta say I'm really happy that you went with an RB, too. I remember you were looking at asschers and ECs and OECs and I think there might have been an oval in there somewhere at some point? But (in my humble opinion as the ultimate RB fan ::) ) RBs have a razzle dazzle POP that no other shape can match, and from your posts I really think you're the sort of person who would appreciate the razzle dazzle POP of a headlight-sized RB more than a more subdued shape that others might prefer :love: :sun:

But setting... 1mm clearance is a *lot*! It doesn't sound like much in the real world but everything about rings is so small - even your honker probably has a depth of 7mm-ish, I'd guess? I definitely ditto DS' idea of sending some pics of heights you prefer visually, and letting Leon figure out what that translates into wrt your particular stone's proportions. Even a photoshop job would do the trick in a pinch.

The other question I have is about the 8 prongs... do you have a pic? I LOVE 8 prongs on round stones, I love the symmetry of the 8 sections of diamond and 8 prongs just like you do, but I confess I don't care for what I see in my head when I think about "8 evenly spaced prongs" and "doughnut as small as possible" - it looks too much like a cage. I can think of lots of ways to change it to make it look nicer, but they all involve adding extra stuff or increasing the doughnut size and mucking up the super simple look you're going for...
Will Leon do sketches? If not I'd recommend one of Charmy's suggestions - might be worth having a CAD done elsewhere as a proof of concept. Obviously Leon's execution will be a bit different but with a simple design the CAD would give you a good idea of the overall feel, especially in the absence of other info.

I also think you should stick with Leon. He and Perry are already invested in this project, and it sounds like you have a good working relationship with him and aside from the threestone issue last year you've been happy with his work. This is IMO not the project with which to trial new benches - for any number of reasons!

I am so glad you chimed in. You are very detail-oriented and I was hoping you'd see this thread.

Ok first of, my PSer friends have agreed with you and apparently you're all right, lol!! :twirl: I love my RB's, I admit.

I thritto DS' idea too. A friend has just had her 5ct set and her diamond is 6.80mm deep vs. my 6.95. But her ring's height is 8.4mm apparently, huh? How does that work?!! I don't know how to photoshop, nudge nudge wink wink... :wink2:

RE the 8 prongs, Bliss' earrings come to mind. LOL re the cage. I spoke to Leon last night and he said that he can't do the donut as small as possible without impinging on the band, or something to that effect, lol. I forget. Mind you, this was something like 1.30-2am my time, that IS my excuse, ha ha..

I dunno if Leon does sketches or CAD. But I feel comfortable enough after having spoken to him last night. I must admit, as far as bling is concerned, I am usally a pretty hands-off kind of person (not RE other areas on my life though, lol). But having seen all kinds of threads of PS, I've become a bit more picky and a bit more detail-oriented, much to the detriment of PS vendors, I am sure, lol.

Well - it's *Leon*. He's an artist first and foremost. Honestly, from a design perspective, that removes a lot of my concerns, especially since you already know that his idea of "pleasing" matches yours well! I'm doing a project with Mike R., who is also an artist, and I'm finding that there is a HUGE difference between working with an artist who understands what I like and who happens to make jewellery and a talented bench - the artist can take an inspiration and visualize a piece that is so incredibly beautiful, a piece that breathes and blossoms - a piece that a talented bench following a detailed list of Wants and Dont Wants couldn't hope to bring to life.

Hm. I've got flowers on the brain, can you tell? If you want something photoshopped I can give it a go after work tonight :)) Something like what Laila posted could be lovely with 8 prongs instead of 6, w/ that ever-so-slight crown structure! :sun: It's the 8 single prongs coming up from a doughnut w/ a basket that says "cage" to me, which I actually really like for earrings but not so much for a ring..

18k-8-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-by-whiteflash-32777_b.jpg

tigian

Ideal_Rock

YAY!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Can't wait to see the final beauty on your hand.
Very exciting.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Yssie|1347465872|3266811 said:
Well - it's *Leon*. He's an artist first and foremost. Honestly, from a design perspective, that removes a lot of my concerns, especially since you already know that his idea of "pleasing" matches yours well! I'm doing a project with Mike R., who is also an artist, and I'm finding that there is a HUGE difference between working with an artist who understands what I like and who happens to make jewellery and a talented bench - the artist can take an inspiration and visualize a piece that is so incredibly beautiful, a piece that breathes and blossoms - a piece that a talented bench following a detailed list of Wants and Dont Wants couldn't hope to bring to life.

I'm so glad to read this, Yssie. And, happy that you are working with an artist.

I think this is the best approach to getting something beautiful. Choose an artist whose work you love. Give general directions, but don't get into the nitty-gritty details. An artist will bring it to life by choosing gorgeous details.

Several years ago I was working with a new designer on CADs for a diamond ring. I was having to tell her every detail on the CADs, and not liking the results at all. I'm not an expert in swoops and prongs and how to get to something beautiful, and her renderings were looking stiff. I threw in the towel on that project at the design phase. I'll go with an artist that I trust next time.

Phoenix, good luck on your Leon piece. I'd leave the particulars of the exact height of your ring up to him and his eye.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fly Girl|1347474633|3266935 said:
I'm so glad to read this, Yssie. And, happy that you are working with an artist.

I think this is the best approach to getting something beautiful. Choose an artist whose work you love. Give general directions, but don't get into the nitty-gritty details. An artist will bring it to life by choosing gorgeous details.

Several years ago I was working with a new designer on CADs for a diamond ring. I was having to tell her every detail on the CADs, and not liking the results at all. I'm not an expert in swoops and prongs and how to get to something beautiful, and her renderings were looking stiff. I threw in the towel on that project at the design phase. I'll go with an artist that I trust next time.

Phoenix, good luck on your Leon piece. I'd leave the particulars of the exact height of your ring up to him and his eye.

Not to hijack Phoenix's thread but I had to say thank you Fly Girl! This lil' gal plus my DBL trellis - I can't imagine two more perfect rings, and I'm so excited!

I think you were very wise to have ended the project with this designer when you did - hoping things work out never does end well, does it? I know the right designer - one who understands your vision - is out there, I also know that he/she may or may not be the one whom others turn to. I hope you'll share the journey with us ::)

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

Phoenix|1347461966|3266778 said:
I dunno if Leon does sketches or CAD. But I feel comfortable enough after having spoken to him last night.

Leon does do sketches. He did one for my rose quartz pendant. It was a totally new design, so he sent the sketch to me for approval. It felt great to see his ideas on paper.

As for the shank width, I think 2mm is quite thin, and I probably wouldn't go any thinner. But no matter what you do with the setting, I am sure your beautiful diamond will shine in it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1347422459|3266581 said:
Fly Girl|1347416212|3266531 said:
Congratulations, Phoenix, on getting your dream diamond. It is beautiful. :appl:

As for the setting, I would take it to my favorite designer and say, make me something awesome. :naughty:

I find that professional jewelry designers generally have better ideas than I do. That's probably why I'm not a professional jewelry designer. :wink2:

Well, my local jewellers are fine but not top-notch.

I *did* have a fantastic telephone conversation with Leon last night and we hashed out quite a few details (thanks to you guys, I was able to communicate more clearly what I'd prefer to Leon). The only detail left is how high the diamond should be set, ie. what does 1mm above how he normally sets it actually mean? I said that I'd like to be able to see the culet when viewed from the pavillion. He then asked what does that mean exactly? How much should the culet clear the gallery by? I don't have an answer for him at the moment!
Phoenix
be careful with going too high on sucha big rock,cuz the higher the setting the more chance of girdle damage.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

What about having these upside-down Vs (for lack of better terminology) in the gallery to make the 8 prongs? I think this would help avoid the cage-like look that Yssie was referring to and would make for a more interesting gallery. Just a thought...

https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/custom-engagement-ring-round

lm_gallery_ring.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

stargurl78|1347494804|3267156 said:
What about having these upside-down Vs (for lack of better terminology) in the gallery to make the 8 prongs? I think this would help avoid the cage-like look that Yssie was referring to and would make for a more interesting gallery. Just a thought...

Ooooh la la, this takes it to a different design altogether. I am not sure, but I am open-minded to it.

Yssie, if you wouldn't mind doing some photoshop for me please? So maybe something like what stargurl has suggested? Perhaps next to the the setting with 8 prongs (i can't visualise the "cage" effect so much, lol)? Also, I am now thinking maybe 6 prongs, but i don't know where to put the prongs - I'd like a very symmetrical effect as far as aligning the prongs wt the table facets (initally I was thinking of having 8 prongs aligned with the 4 corners of the two super-imposed tables). Thanks so much.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okie, I am getting really antsy here!! Shall I just go for 4 double-claw prongs, aligned with the 4 corners of the table?

I just wanna get this honker on my finger asap!! :twirl: :tongue:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1347507348|3267275 said:
stargurl78|1347494804|3267156 said:

Ooooh la la, this takes it to a different design altogether. I am not sure, but I am open-minded to it.

Yssie, if you wouldn't mind doing some photoshop for me please? So maybe something like what stargurl has suggested? Perhaps next to the the setting with 8 prongs (i can't visualise the "cage" effect so much, lol)? Also, I am now thinking maybe 6 prongs, but i don't know where to put the prongs - I'd like a very symmetrical effect as far as aligning the prongs wt the table facets (initally I was thinking of having 8 prongs aligned with the 4 corners of the two super-imposed tables). Thanks so much.

Can do, when I get home from work tonight ::)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you, Yssie. Much appreciated.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

that is gorgeous, and so exciting, many congrats :appl: :appl: :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is a beautiful setting - I really like it even if you didn't do the pave stones - the head of this ring is gorgeous!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love eight prongs but prefer a larger donut to allow the basket to have some breathing room and grace, but you would need to accept a gap between your rings. On a stone this size I would want it set as low as possible, frankly, with the culet no more than 1mm above my finger so that the ring would be wearable. And I would want a larger base/donut to allow the ring a nice secore base on my finger and to avoide spinning and wobbling.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1347571453|3267744 said:
I love eight prongs but prefer a larger donut to allow the basket to have some breathing room and grace, but you would need to accept a gap between your rings. On a stone this size I would want it set as low as possible, frankly, with the culet no more than 1mm above my finger so that the ring would be wearable. And I would want a larger base/donut to allow the ring a nice secore base on my finger and to avoide spinning and wobbling.

Well, actually last night after having thought about it long and hard and having discussed it with a friend who has just had her 5ct set and having discussed it also with DH, I've decided to go with 4 double-claw prongs. In fact, mine would be very similar to hers except mine would not be pave'ed, just plain solitaire and that's what I've emailed to Leon. So now, am just awaiting the WO from him.

I've decided to let Leon make the executive decision on the size of the donut so that it'd be a balance between aesthetics and stability. Same for the height of the ring, as long as the culet just clears the gallery and be visible from the side. My friend's ring's height is 8.4mm overall and the depth of her stone is 6.80mm vs my 6.95mm, so there's 2.4mm wriggle room but I don't know how much of that is the gallery and I guess I don't really need to know.

Incidentally, I talked to Leon on Tuesday about having a 1.8mm width and he did say it was on the thin side but it should be ok. My friend's ring is about 1.9mm, so not that much of a diffrence.

So it's a done deal. Just waiting for Leon to send me the WO and then take a deep breath and wait for the ring to be shipped. Ack ack...this wait is agonising!! ::)

Thanks, Dreamer, for yr help and thanks to everyone else too for chiming in.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1347542100|3267401 said:
Can do, when I get home from work tonight ::)

Actually, Yssie, I've decided to go with 4 double-claw prongs, so I guess there won't be any need for photoshop. Thanks very much though. :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Was just getting started - glad I saw this first! I think 4 double-claw solves a lot of problems, if Leon thinks it'll work, and it's such a classy look :love:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Damn, that thing is AMAZING. Other than putting it in a solitaire, I have no helpful suggestions. I just had to express my awe! Congrats :appl: :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oooops, I seem to have made a mistake on a simple calculation, so embarassing, lol!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1347622787|3267980 said:
Was just getting started - glad I saw this first! I think 4 double-claw solves a lot of problems, if Leon thinks it'll work, and it's such a classy look :love:

Thank you, Yssie. Hope you hadn't done too much work.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

ITS GINORMOUS and I LOVE IT!!!

Omg just make a decision and get that baby on your finger lady, I am DYING to see it! :love: :love: :love:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Phew, now that I've got that off my chest I can be human again.

I vote six prong solitaire. :praise:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rosetta, thank you. I know you're a lady with a huge collection of gorgeous diamonds so am glad my stone meets with your approval. :))

I've already finalised my WO. It's going to have 4 double-claw prongs, placed symmetrically on the table facets. No 8-prongs for me anymore, since I can't get this bird-cage image out of my head (thanks to Yssie, lol) and wasn't quite sure where to place the 6 prongs. I never used to be fussed but now with "PS-training" the thought of prongs being placed randomly drives me bonkers!! :rodent:

Now I wait...practising being patient and wait.....[drumming fingers, lol]...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you to everyone who's responded. I know I didn't get a chance to reply to each one of you but I know who you are and have read every single post. :))

I will start a new thread, with more specs and pictures once I get the ring.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

:appl: :appl: :appl: omg omg omg omg omg omg :appl: :appl: :appl:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations on finding your dream diamond. I can't wait to see it on your finger, that's going to be ONE BEAUTIFUL ring :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you are making a good choice for your setting, Phoenix! I can't wait to see it!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Congrats on your honker! Double claw prongs sound awesome! Can't wait to see it!

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock

kenny|1347384993|3266054 said:
Phoenix, it's gorgeous.
May you wear it for a hundred happy and healthy years.

Ditto what Kenny said!

Beautiful gem!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

Oh Phoenix! Yay! I'm so happy for you! :D What a beautiful diamond. :love:
I don't blame you for being antsy about the wait to have it on your finger. I'm glad you got the setting sorted out. I can't wait to see the ring. Please get someone to take some real life perspective shots too.

And you might want to start doing some one-arm pushups now, so your arm is strong enough to hold up that giant rock. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results