clarity

I got my 5ct!! YAY!! Now I need help with a setting please

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I got my 5ct!! YAY!! Now I need help with a setting pl

HI:

This sure beats your soup thread--PHO sure! :bigsmile:

Can't wait to see how it is set!!!!!! I am jeali!!!

cheers--Sharon

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So now that you have this one in the bag, how about a 5 ct step cut diamond ring! Do you have any other plans for new jewelry pieces in the near future--I want to see some more eye candy! What essential pieces do you still have left now that you've pared everything down?

On a different note, can I ask you what you think of your J colored studs? I'm looking into upgrading my studs next year and was wondering if the J color bothered you at all? I want to save some $$ but am wondering if I will regret the color or not?

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

Phoenix|1347375086|3265965 said:
Dancing Fire|1347374851|3265960 said:
WOW!! :-o :love: congrats Phoenix!! love the H VS2 combo.. :appl: what is the diameter on this stone? about 11mm?

Thank you, DF.

Ha ha, I was thinking about you actually, cuz I know that H VS2 is also your sweet spot. The diameter is about 11.22mm on average.

hehehe, STILL very so slightly smaller than my E-ring with halo combined = 11.5mm :Up_to_something:

so now i know what a 5.3ct will look on my finger !!! :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

frankiextah|1347411807|3266471 said:
WOW!! :-o :love: congrats Phoenix!! love the H VS2 combo.. :appl: what is the diameter on this stone? about 11mm?

Thank you, DF.

Ha ha, I was thinking about you actually, cuz I know that H VS2 is also your sweet spot. The diameter is about 11.22mm on average.

hehehe, STILL very so slightly smaller than my E-ring with halo combined = 11.5mm :Up_to_something:

Then Frankie, how in the world are you thinking of going to 3+ cts with a halo????? 11.5mm is huge!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations, Phoenix, on getting your dream diamond. It is beautiful. :appl:

As for the setting, I would take it to my favorite designer and say, make me something awesome. :naughty:

I find that professional jewelry designers generally have better ideas than I do. That's probably why I'm not a professional jewelry designer. :wink2:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations, Phoenix!!! What a spectacular stone!

Any way you set it will be divine, especially with Leon making the ring. I think my favorite combo might be a 2mm band (anything smaller may look too trendy compared to the scale of the stone), milgrain and brushed patina to let the setting receded into your hand and allow that incredible diamond to do all the talking! Yes, I'd set it at least 1mm higher than Leon's standard. Love single claw eight prongs - perfect. And I'd go for curved struts (I think they're super sexy). I cannot wait to see what you decide! It will be absolutely amazing I'm sure!

:appl: :appl: :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

The diamond looks great and those inclusions are AWESOME!! Even in a VS2, and especially in a larger diamond like this, I just love when grade makers are off on the periphery and you can cover them with a prong. Such a great find!!! In such a large diamond given how inclusions are graded, it would have been hard to find such a good VS2.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1347384993|3266054 said:
Phoenix, it's gorgeous.
May you wear it for a hundred happy and healthy years.

Thank you, Kenny.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you, Tyty.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you, Sharon - too cute! :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mom2boys|1347397096|3266198 said:
So now that you have this one in the bag, how about a 5 ct step cut diamond ring! Do you have any other plans for new jewelry pieces in the near future--I want to see some more eye candy! What essential pieces do you still have left now that you've pared everything down?

On a different note, can I ask you what you think of your J colored studs? I'm looking into upgrading my studs next year and was wondering if the J color bothered you at all? I want to save some $$ but am wondering if I will regret the color or not?

Ha ha, no 5ct for me in the near future. Perhaps the far future. This one is supposed to be a...ahem... VERY early ..ahem...significant b'day present + 15th wedding anniversary present + Xmas + V-day etc etc...LOL!!

I'd LOVE an real antique stone in the future, be it an EC, asscher, cushion or OEC. I'd love something quite a bit larger, say 6-7ct but with lower colours than I normally go for, maybe J-K, hopefully with fluor, if not it'd still be ok. I saw another PS"er's antique cushion in J and it faces up sooooo white with the infamous pastel facets and broad flashes that everyone talks about on here. It was really yummy!! :love: :love:

What pieces do I have left? Well, DH may not let me sell the 3ct (let's see if there's any offer). And I still have the pear ring, the J coloured studs, my bracelet, PP watch, most of my pearls, the 1.5ct studs (I had them reset cuz one of the prongs on my J studs has become loose, need to get them fixed by Leon), 25pt full eternity band. I've upgraded the 5-stone band to a 1.7ct stone (may set that into a halo'ed or bezelled pendant, haven't decided yet). The 2.374ct and the 2.656ct stones are supposed to be put up for sale but I am waiting for the market to pick up first. No point in listing them now.

I love my J-coloured studs. I wouldn't mind upgrading to 3ct each. I could go to K, but on modern RB's generally speaking I'd prefer to have fluor if it's K and larger. But at 2.3ct, the tint on J's doesn't really bother me. I mean I *am* quite colour-sensitive (like you are, I guess) and at times, I can see a teeny tiny bit of a tint, even when they're on, but truly and honestly, I enjoy wearing them very much and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to you (or anyone else). What size studs are you thinking of? Anyway, you could always order them, and return them if you didn't like the colour . Also, there's always upgrading!! :wink2:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

Congratulations! Enjoy! :lickout:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

frankiextah|1347411807|3266471 said:

Thank you, DF.

You're too funny, lol. Can't wait to see the new 3ct on your finger.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pandabee|1347376750|3265980 said:
sweet lord that is one juicy stone!!!! I don't have any help with the setting, but I can't wait to see what you end up with!!!

Thank you. :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

yennyfire|1347385068|3266056 said:
Yay Phoenix! That's going to be quite some honker on your tiny finger!! I agree with DS about the setting...every thing she said...

Thank you, Yenny. Thank you again, DS. :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fly Girl|1347416212|3266531 said:
Congratulations, Phoenix, on getting your dream diamond. It is beautiful. :appl:

As for the setting, I would take it to my favorite designer and say, make me something awesome. :naughty:

I find that professional jewelry designers generally have better ideas than I do. That's probably why I'm not a professional jewelry designer. :wink2:

Well, my local jewellers are fine but not top-notch.

I *did* have a fantastic telephone conversation with Leon last night and we hashed out quite a few details (thanks to you guys, I was able to communicate more clearly what I'd prefer to Leon). The only detail left is how high the diamond should be set, ie. what does 1mm above how he normally sets it actually mean? I said that I'd like to be able to see the culet when viewed from the pavillion. He then asked what does that mean exactly? How much should the culet clear the gallery by? I don't have an answer for him at the moment!

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Congratulations on getting your 5ct+. It is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it set. :appl:

stci

Ideal_Rock

OMG Phoenix! It's a queen diamond! Just perfect for you honey! Bravo! :love: :love:

hlmr

Ideal_Rock

What a gorgeous, huge stone!! Congrats on getting your dream stone!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix, I think your best bet is to find some profile shots of larger diamond rings so you can show Leon what you mean. I think it is almost impossible to tell someone verbally what you expect. Maybe he has some profile shots and you can tell him if they are too low, etc. But realistically, a 5 ct. stone is going to have more depth than your 3 ct. stone, so it is going to sit up high even if set low! The higher it is, the more it is going to spin, I think, just from the weight.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

This ring is going to be PERFECT! We have similar tastes - I absolutely LOVE 8-prong settings and usually don't prefer wide bands and cathedral or tapered settings for solitaires. YUM! I also vote for 2mm. Not sure if I'd go with brushed or polished, I think either would be lovely.

So I'm confused about where you would put the milgrain :???: On the edges of the band? Somewhere on the basket? I like milgrain but I would need to visualize where it would be going...

I agree with DS's suggestion of providing pics of stones with heights that you like.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG.

OMG OMG OMG This has been in the making for YEARS and it's finally HERE!!!!!! I can't WAIT to see some handshots!!!

I gotta say I'm really happy that you went with an RB, too. I remember you were looking at asschers and ECs and OECs and I think there might have been an oval in there somewhere at some point? But (in my humble opinion as the ultimate RB fan ::) ) RBs have a razzle dazzle POP that no other shape can match, and from your posts I really think you're the sort of person who would appreciate the razzle dazzle POP of a headlight-sized RB more than a more subdued shape that others might prefer :love: :sun:

But setting... 1mm clearance is a *lot*! It doesn't sound like much in the real world but everything about rings is so small - even your honker probably has a depth of 7mm-ish, I'd guess? I definitely ditto DS' idea of sending some pics of heights you prefer visually, and letting Leon figure out what that translates into wrt your particular stone's proportions. Even a photoshop job would do the trick in a pinch.

The other question I have is about the 8 prongs... do you have a pic? I LOVE 8 prongs on round stones, I love the symmetry of the 8 sections of diamond and 8 prongs just like you do, but I confess I don't care for what I see in my head when I think about "8 evenly spaced prongs" and "doughnut as small as possible" - it looks too much like a cage. I can think of lots of ways to change it to make it look nicer, but they all involve adding extra stuff or increasing the doughnut size and mucking up the super simple look you're going for...
Will Leon do sketches? If not I'd recommend one of Charmy's suggestions - might be worth having a CAD done elsewhere as a proof of concept. Obviously Leon's execution will be a bit different but with a simple design the CAD would give you a good idea of the overall feel, especially in the absence of other info.

I also think you should stick with Leon. He and Perry are already invested in this project, and it sounds like you have a good working relationship with him and aside from the threestone issue last year you've been happy with his work. This is IMO not the project with which to trial new benches - for any number of reasons!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hearts-arrows_girl|1347423375|3266585 said:
Congratulations on getting your 5ct+. It is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it set. :appl:

Thank you. It is really gorgeous. I can't wait myself.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

stci|1347444440|3266644 said:
OMG Phoenix! It's a queen diamond! Just perfect for you honey! Bravo! :love: :love:

Thank you, sweetie.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hlmr|1347451506|3266687 said:
What a gorgeous, huge stone!! Congrats on getting your dream stone!! :appl:

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1347452288|3266694 said:
Phoenix, I think your best bet is to find some profile shots of larger diamond rings so you can show Leon what you mean. I think it is almost impossible to tell someone verbally what you expect. Maybe he has some profile shots and you can tell him if they are too low, etc. But realistically, a 5 ct. stone is going to have more depth than your 3 ct. stone, so it is going to sit up high even if set low! The higher it is, the more it is going to spin, I think, just from the weight.

THat's a great idea, DS. Actually, a friend has just had her 5ct stone set! :wink2: I am going to take pics of her ring and show them to Leon. I also know the height of her ring, from the top of the table to her finger (just found out actually). So all this infor should help.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

stargurl78|1347454945|3266716 said:
This ring is going to be PERFECT! We have similar tastes - I absolutely LOVE 8-prong settings and usually don't prefer wide bands and cathedral or tapered settings for solitaires. YUM! I also vote for 2mm. Not sure if I'd go with brushed or polished, I think either would be lovely.

So I'm confused about where you would put the milgrain :???: On the edges of the band? Somewhere on the basket? I like milgrain but I would need to visualize where it would be going...

I agree with DS's suggestion of providing pics of stones with heights that you like.

Thank you! :))

I've thrashed it out with Leon last night, actually. We've decided no millegrain, shiny metal (not brushed). I agree with DS too.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful diamond, congrats! With a rock that size, I would go clean and classic. I like Leon's Tulip solitaire, his version of the Tiffany setting.

leon.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1347456367|3266731 said:
OMG.

OMG OMG OMG This has been in the making for YEARS and it's finally HERE!!!!!! I can't WAIT to see some handshots!!!

I gotta say I'm really happy that you went with an RB, too. I remember you were looking at asschers and ECs and OECs and I think there might have been an oval in there somewhere at some point? But (in my humble opinion as the ultimate RB fan ::) ) RBs have a razzle dazzle POP that no other shape can match, and from your posts I really think you're the sort of person who would appreciate the razzle dazzle POP of a headlight-sized RB more than a more subdued shape that others might prefer :love: :sun:

But setting... 1mm clearance is a *lot*! It doesn't sound like much in the real world but everything about rings is so small - even your honker probably has a depth of 7mm-ish, I'd guess? I definitely ditto DS' idea of sending some pics of heights you prefer visually, and letting Leon figure out what that translates into wrt your particular stone's proportions. Even a photoshop job would do the trick in a pinch.

The other question I have is about the 8 prongs... do you have a pic? I LOVE 8 prongs on round stones, I love the symmetry of the 8 sections of diamond and 8 prongs just like you do, but I confess I don't care for what I see in my head when I think about "8 evenly spaced prongs" and "doughnut as small as possible" - it looks too much like a cage. I can think of lots of ways to change it to make it look nicer, but they all involve adding extra stuff or increasing the doughnut size and mucking up the super simple look you're going for...
Will Leon do sketches? If not I'd recommend one of Charmy's suggestions - might be worth having a CAD done elsewhere as a proof of concept. Obviously Leon's execution will be a bit different but with a simple design the CAD would give you a good idea of the overall feel, especially in the absence of other info.

I also think you should stick with Leon. He and Perry are already invested in this project, and it sounds like you have a good working relationship with him and aside from the threestone issue last year you've been happy with his work. This is IMO not the project with which to trial new benches - for any number of reasons!

I am so glad you chimed in. You are very detail-oriented and I was hoping you'd see this thread.

Ok first of, my PSer friends have agreed with you and apparently you're all right, lol!! :twirl: I love my RB's, I admit.

I thritto DS' idea too. A friend has just had her 5ct set and her diamond is 6.80mm deep vs. my 6.95. But her ring's height is 8.4mm apparently, huh? How does that work?!! I don't know how to photoshop, nudge nudge wink wink... :wink2:

RE the 8 prongs, Bliss' earrings come to mind. LOL re the cage. I spoke to Leon last night and he said that he can't do the donut as small as possible without impinging on the band, or something to that effect, lol. I forget. Mind you, this was something like 1.30-2am my time, that IS my excuse, ha ha..

I dunno if Leon does sketches or CAD. But I feel comfortable enough after having spoken to him last night. I must admit, as far as bling is concerned, I am usally a pretty hands-off kind of person (not RE other areas on my life though, lol). But having seen all kinds of threads of PS, I've become a bit more picky and a bit more detail-oriented, much to the detriment of PS vendors, I am sure, lol.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1347417208|3266538 said:
The diamond looks great and those inclusions are AWESOME!! Even in a VS2, and especially in a larger diamond like this, I just love when grade makers are off on the periphery and you can cover them with a prong. Such a great find!!! In such a large diamond given how inclusions are graded, it would have been hard to find such a good VS2.

Indeed!! YAY YAY!! :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results